[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /k/ think about single action revolvers as a first gun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
What does /k/ think about single action revolvers as a first gun?
>>
>>29233590
Unless you're getting one of those cheap "kit" guns that shoots black powder to avoid the background check, why?
>>
>>29233609
because they look like they could be fun to play with?
>>
>>29233609
I see it as a learning gun, if you're shooting anything above .22 use light loads.

It requires you to take time to shoot, and I'm sure there a load of videos showing you how to mod it for faster cocking adn faster precision.
>>
>>29233694
Nothing you couldn't do with a double action modern revolver, unless you specifically want to deal with the inconvenience of loading BP.

Not saying it can't be fun, I know people who love those things, but might not want it to be your first gun since it's limited in utility and requires significantly more care and handling than a modern firearm.
>>
>>29233701
Seems like a weird way to learn, starting with something that's complicated, difficult to handle and potentially dangerous if mis-used. Modern guns relatively speaking are pretty retard-proof and easier to learn on. You buy the type of bullet it says on the side and you can be pretty sure it won't blow up in your hand.
>>
>>29233590
If that's what you want, go for it.
>>
>>29233609
>>29233726
Why do you think every single action revolver is a black powder pistol?
>>
>>29233747
they do make modernized versions of single action revolvers, you know.

OP picture is a Ruger New Vaquero, they started being made in 2005.
>>
File: tall_ship_training.jpg (162 KB, 1300x767) Image search: [Google]
tall_ship_training.jpg
162 KB, 1300x767
>>29233747
Ever seen pictures of naval training ships?
>>
>>29233772
I don't, but if he doesn't want one of those I'm even more confused as to the reason for it, since most double action revolvers can also be fired single action. Unless he has a hard-on for a specific make/model that happens to be single action, a double-action seems like the obvious choice.
>>
>>29233825
da/sa revolvers arent optimized for being shot single action though
your average da/sa is more awkward to cock compared to an sa
>>
File: fag.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
fag.webm
3 MB, 640x480
Not OP but I want one to do retarded cowboy tricks with. What is a good revolver for that? Webm related.
>>
File: RevolverOcelotRevolverOcelot.png (195 KB, 500x744) Image search: [Google]
RevolverOcelotRevolverOcelot.png
195 KB, 500x744
>>29233859
Posting obligatory Revolver Ocelot
>>
>>29233859
and then Indiana Jones walked up and stabbed him with a sword.
>>
ENGRAVINGS... GIVE NO TACTICAL ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER.
>>
>>29233888
Morale is a tactical advantage.

Checkmate atheists
>>
>>29233859

>fag.webm

I think that's sick desu.
>>
>>29233590
I like single actions but consider the reload, its time consuming and maybe not what you'll want to do, especially on a 22 where its harder to line the cylinder up with the ejection rod

A 357/9mm convertible black hawk would be an excellent gun for everything from plinking to varmint and shtf, or even a da/sa 357 would be a good starter gun too
>>
>>29233609

Fun
>>
File: tumblr_m8d1x0PRW51qd8pxx.gif (584 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m8d1x0PRW51qd8pxx.gif
584 KB, 320x180
>>29233859
He's pretty good
>>
>>29233590
I got a new model Blackhawk in .357 as my first handgun. Love it. Can safely load all 6 chambers, isn't so light that shooting is a pain, won't feel bad if I take it out innawoods
>>
>>29233859
If you just want it for spinning and not trick shooting just buy a stage prop gun. I wouldn't practice spinning an actual gun since you'll probably drop it quite a bit. A good stage prop revolver will not only look authentic but will have a comparable weight to a real gun so you can practice with the proper balance.
>>
>>29233726

A Ruger single action costs like $300 less than a similar double action S&W. More shit to fuss with when you are shooting. And can get them with multiple cylinders for quick caliber conversion.
>>
>>29233776

Actually that is a Blackhawk. Note the adjustable rear sight. The Vaqueros have a groove in the top like a j frame for the rear sight.
>>
>>29233590
Depends. Do you live in the year 1880?
>>
>>29233590
Only real men appreciate the power and tradition of single action revolvers. I'm talking about men of integrity who care about what's right and stand for those things. You won't find many of us on /k/ anymore OP.
>>
SAs are great gun and really fun to load and shoot, but i would suggest you go more to a double action revolver for the overall benefits while still being a revolver. easier to clean and reload, you get to learn a trigger pull that isnt touchy as fuck while still getting a nice SA and you can use it for defense if you choose to do so later.

honestly its just the trigger that makes me feel its not great for a new guy, but weve all learned in our own ways. my second gun was a 870 ex mag after learning to shoot a mkI standard
>>
SAs are easy to shoot. maybe even too easy because some never learn to not jerk the trigger.
>>
>>29233590
Buy something you can defend yourself with. Buy it in a common caliber. If it is a hand gun, buy something that you can carry.
>>
>>29233609
You're right, it's not the most tactical thing out there, so it must be useless.
>>
>>29233590
go for it dude, if its something you like you should get it.
>>
>>29233747
That fact that /A revolvers are difficult to shoot is what makes them the best starter gun for range virgins. Impossible to accidently fire off a round with recoil.
For people who enjoy target shooting who don't care to be all CoD mag dumping operator wannabes they fit the bill.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.