[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Precision Rifle General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: ruger-msr[1].jpg (67 KB, 848x477) Image search: [Google]
ruger-msr[1].jpg
67 KB, 848x477
Alrighty folks, here it is. Myself and a friend of mine have decided that we are going to attend a sniper challenge course next year and I'm in the market for a rifle. I have decided on a Ruger Precision Rifle, but I can't decide between 6.5 CM and .308. I have made a pros and cons list in order to help make the decision. Please feel free to add pros, cons, give feedback, opinions, or just talk shit.

6.5 CM Pros:
-flat trajectory
-lighter weight
-resistant to weather factors
6.5 CM Cons:
-expensive magazines
-low barrel life

.308 Pros:
-ammunition is abundant
-magazines are cheap
-high barrel life
.308 Cons:
-susceptible to wind and weather
-faster drop
-heavy

Here is the link to the competition, though we will not be doing it this year:
http://competition-dynamics.com/sniper-adventure-challenge-2016/
>>
>>29228345
>Max rifle range: 1500
Yeah, a 308 can't do that.
>>
>>29228523

uhh, yes it can.
>>
If youre planning to do serious long range shooting then its 6.5CM

If you dont want to spend too much money and also want to do allround shooting then its .308
>>
>>29228535
Under excellent conditions, and with extremely precise ballistic calculations. In this "Sniper adventure challenge", I doubt the shooting conditions will be as ideal as what you'd encounter on a shooting range.
I also hope his scope has a fuckton of elevation.
>>
>>29228523
To be fair, it can, but it's not very practical to do that. POA would be like 50 feet above where you're aiming.
>>
>>29228608
>where you're aiming
*your target.
>>
>>29228608
>POA would be like 50 feet above where you're aiming
This is a sniper challenge, not an artillery match. He might do it if he had a 20MOA or 40MOA rail, but seriously though, .308 for 1500 yards in unknown terrain is ridiculous.
>>
>>29228345
>Reading the rules

>Max rifle range:1500
>"Any round that does not impact within 10 yards of the target the competitor is engaging is declared to be an AD."

Erm, ok...favor bottom edge of the target, bruh.
>>
Build a single shot rifle off of a savage target action in. 260 Remington or 25-06. Or buy a pre-built on in. 260. Or build a rifle off of a howa 1500 action in 25-06. Or 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 lapua, howa has one of those in a barreled action. Howa also offers a varmint barreled. 308 that's pretty nice.

For tactical rifle build howa 1500 barreled action in 308, bell and Carlson stock and your glass of choice. Howa has a dethacble mag kit or there after market floor plates that allow you to use accuracy international magazines.

Personally I would build a rifle off of a savage target action, some aftermarket barrel like a Douglas/kreiger/whothefuckever, beautiful walnut stock, and a premium weaver/nikon/schmidnt&bender/whoever scope, and a Harris bipod.

>idgaf if you complain about walnut and blued steel and a "sniper rifle", it's a range toy and looks better that way.
>>
>>29228627
That's why I said it's not very practical. Your artillery comparison is appropriate.
>>
Cuckasauruses at Cabelas sold both the savage 12fv 308 26" heavy varmint barreled in the week that I finally decided to buy one... Now I'm going to have to drive like 150 miles to another cabelas or just hope they get more in... I wish they were in 6.5, but 308 components are easier to find.
>>
File: 2014_24HRSAC-9436[1].jpg (288 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
2014_24HRSAC-9436[1].jpg
288 KB, 800x533
The consensus kinda seems to be 6.5.

Thanks guys.
>>
They are the same magazines retard
>>
>>29228704
Literally the worst advice ITT please kill yourself
>>
6.5CM will run in the same magazines as .308.
>>
File: 1410503937228.jpg (13 KB, 173x179) Image search: [Google]
1410503937228.jpg
13 KB, 173x179
>>29228345
>-heavy
.308 variant has only a 20 inch barrel.
>-faster drop
Of fucking course.

Make a General but it is basically"Which Ruger Precision.guys?: The Tread"
>>
>>29231111
Dude, you're retarded.
>>
>>29232263
Eyy m80. Look at dem quads doe. At most he is mentally handicapped. The ReRe word is for real dudu heads.
>>
6.5CM only has one drawback:

You can't buy plinking ammo for it.

That's fucking it. The barrel life is negligible compared to the benefits you receive.

If you're going to blow $700 on a match that you won't be competitive in, you should at least shoot a caliber that will give you a fighting chance.
>>
>>29228345
>expensive magazines
6.5 CM uses the same magazines as .308. They're both short action rounds. In fact that rifle in your image is a 6.5 CM and it's visibly loaded with a PMAG LR.
>low barrel life
Is this really a concern? You're talking a difference of ~1,500 rounds from the endurance of a .308 barrel. If you're going to shoot a barrel's worth (3,500 rounds) of 6.5 CM at $1.30 apiece = $4,550, are you going to have a problem with another $400 for a new barrel in four years time? Yeah, .308's "cheaper," but you're not in a cheap sport.

>>29228535
.308 transitions back to subsonic at ~1000 yards. It can't maintain accuracy after that happens. 1,100 yards max, out of a long barrel, with heavy bullets in the best of conditions. Your scope would probably run out of elevation at 900-1000 yards anyway.

So, uhh, no it can't.

OP, get the 6.5 CM. People get good results with the factory RPR barrels, but aftermarket barrels show phenominal results. So pretend you were going to get an aftermarket barrel anyway, and shoot the stock barrel out for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AlwsoMYOVg
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.