[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Physics major here. I've been learning everything possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 9319-SEAFIRE.jpg (365 KB, 1200x807) Image search: [Google]
9319-SEAFIRE.jpg
365 KB, 1200x807
Physics major here.

I've been learning everything possible about propeller planes lately.

Ducted fans, axial fans, supersonic tipped fans, subsonic compression ratios, blade element theory, etc.

I have found my passion, and I want to share knowledge with you guys and talk about prop fighters. My goal one day is to make these things relevant again with a new engine patent. Maybe not for fighting modern jets, but at least for viable ground support.

Do you guys like them? Any ex-military guys here ever flown a Super Tucano?
>>
>>29226387

Engineering technologist, here.

There are a lot of recent advances in manufacturing that could allow for much more efficient geometries, but I don't believe propeller planes will have much use on the modern battlefield minus perhaps drones.
>>
>>29226387
P51>all else
>>
>>29226409
I believe you'd need to have assisted power since compression has a limit, that or use a regulated closed system but that would be extremely expensive.

>>29226413
No, I posted the FR because it is better for both land and sea operations, has a better climb rate, better roll rate, better turn rate, better everything desu and is more interesting in design. Contra-rotating props are inherently what you want for stability to recover from slipstream dampening
>>
Prop FIGHTERS will never exist again

Prop COIN/CAS aircraft exist and are in use.
>>
File: firefox_2016-03-11_10-45-11.png (48 KB, 710x785) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-03-11_10-45-11.png
48 KB, 710x785
>>29226441
forgot pic
>>
>>29226447
no one cares about Cessnas with hellfire missles
>>
>>29226441
>Contra-rotating props are inherently what you want for stability to recover from slipstream dampening

Aren't they also fuckoff loud?

I've heard stories of some planes being tracked by fucking submarine sonar from high altitude because of how fucking cacophonous they were.
>>
>>29226464
Who cares about comfort. Efficiency is what matters
>>
>>29226457
I'm sure the launch platform not costing $95m makes a hellfire less deadly, anon
>>
>>29226470

Well, I'd rather we not have pilots in the damn things to begin with. Engineering shit around our biology is a fucking chore.

Still, silence isn't exactly a bad thing for military equipment.
>>
Hey, OP.

What do you think of ground effect vehicles?

High speed, high efficiency.
>>
>>29226464
They are loud Because the blades are spinning extremely fast. The Tu-95s blades spin faster than the speed of sound. It's 4x louder than one blade going that fast.
>>
>>29226536
Probably not good for any combat roles. On their own I find them interesting as far as their geometries go.
>>
>>29226544

Two propellers going the same direction are going to be quieter than two contra-rotating propellers going at the same RPM.

>>29226587

>Swarm of unmanned GEV's strafing the battlefield below the radar at 350 mph, dropping bombs as they go.
>>
>>29226619
Production costs are high

Usually multiple redesigns of the hullforms is required before they can accelerate to flight speed, which increases engineering costs
>>
Itt

Faggots with pipe dreams
>>
>>29226666
die
>>
>>29226666
Satan confirms
>>
Big diameter props produce thrust more efficiently at lower speeds than small diameter fans/turbines.
Example the engines of the V-22 Osprey produce way more thrust than the engines of an F-15, way more. They're also lighter.

But because of the diameter they cause a lot more friction than smaller diameter fans/turbines at higher speeds so speed is limited.
Props will always have a place for low speed, but for fighters you need to go fast.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.