[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How big a gun would it take to stop a 600 lb death machine running
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: 1200.jpg (181 KB, 909x750) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
181 KB, 909x750
How big a gun would it take to stop a 600 lb death machine running full-speed at you?
>>
>>29223890
A salad. Auto correct says no famas.
>>
>>29223890
1st: Learn to speak English.
2nd: Shot placement.
3rd: I'd feel safe with hand grenades and a .50 cal.
>>
.40, 10mm, and .50 is usually your best choice when a grizzly is charging you. If you have hollow points or shredding rounds in a 9mm you might be able to get away with it. I've also heard rumors of semi auto 10-22's being able to do it if you can bounce enough off its face eventually one will make it in the eye if you're lucky. Unfortunately though a .22 usually won't make it past the flesh.
>>
>be me 22 living in juneau alaska
>out hunting deer hunting with my dad on admiralty island
>4 hours in its about 9:00 and we're posted up know the edge of a old sea cliff looking down either direction of it
>allspice good with one deer bagged on on the boat
>hear a noise behind me and slowly turn my head in its direction
>full grown male grizzly about 18 yards away
>all of my wat
>it's picks up my scent and looks towards me
>30-06 in hand and .45 long colt Blackhawk in my chest holster
> slowly reach for .45 and lean 30-06 on tree
>itseesme.jpg
>feel the warm trickle of wet dirarreah drip down my leg
>desperately trying to remember everything I was taught in school about bears
>slowly stand up and say hey bear and fuck off at it
>my dad knows now and turns his .270 towards where I'm facing
>can go left or right, can go backwards because of cliff
>shit fucking fire this is the day I die
> pull .45 out and cock lever back
>the bear stands up and puts it's head down grinding it's teeth
> charges about 5 yards and backs off
> turns around and I yell hey bear fuck off
> charges me full bore and I unload as much as I can for my .45
> I'm like John Wayne with my revolver about to reach for my rifle if I have time
> bear keeps running with a round in the shoulder, two in the chest, and one in the neck
>jesustakethewheel.jpg
>starts to slow and drops to the ground while I move to the side
>just stand there shaking with a pool of dirarreah at my feet
>dad comes up and empties his mag in its head
>go home and have the best drinking story to tell my friends
>>
>>29226820
I still have yet to decide if that was the greatest day ever or the worst
>>
>>29226722
Ignore this retard. You'd want at least a .357 magnum for a handgun, and at least .308 for a rifle. Anything weaker will most likely just piss the bear off.
>>
22lr between the eyes
>>
>>29226893
.22lr can't even make it through the skull
>>
Grizzlies have been taken with bow and arrow.

They aren't invincible.

That said, .44 mag is commonly recommended in Alaska. Anything around .44 mag power that's hard cast should in theory be fine.
>>
>>29226875
Hey I'm just saying it down have hard evidence on me right now but I was raised in bear country and have heard countless stories about bears and have my own. The one I posted. I'm no expert but what's your experience?
>>
Shotgun with slugs will do the trick.
>>
>>29226911
Bows can be highly effective. Like it was mentioned earlier, shot placement is everything
>>
>>29226903

.22lr in the eyes
>>
>>29226833
I would arguing for it being a good day since he survived being charged by a grizzly.
>>
>>29223890
22 short if you have good shot placement
>>
>>29226955
Maybe I'll stick with that
>>
>>29226820
One of the best parts of this story is shitting your pants is a very reansonable thing to have done.
>>
There is actually a revolver cartridge made specifically to protect against large predators. It's called .454 Casull. It's not as powerful as a 500 S&W, but it's meant to one shot a large bear.
>>
>>29226967
If the Bear is charging towards you then you're not going to have much time to place a shot with much accuracy.
>>
>>29226938
>>29226967
Yea or a fucking bow if yoy have good shot placement, but when a fucking bear is charging your ass down shot placement is going to be anlittle tough.
Inb4 keyboard warrior has balls of steel and would not shit their pants.
>>
Anything .303 / 30-06 or above.

I something like 6.5x55 I'd feel less comfortable, but still adequate.

6.5x55 would be my minimum caliber.
>>
>>29226875
Spotted the retard
People hunt bears with 10mm handguns
>>
File: Beartrain.webm (2 MB, 640x352) Image search: [Google]
Beartrain.webm
2 MB, 640x352
It's just a bear.
>>
>>29226986

There's a handgun that exclusively caters to grizzly defense in that cartridge, too.

Ruger Redhawk Alaskan.

It comes in .454/45 colt, or .44 mag.
>>
>>29226995
>>29226994
True. I was referring to bear hunting in general not self defense. Just for the record I did not literally shit my pants my asshole was puckered up tight enough to form diamonds
>>
.303 or above. Would prefer a 30-06
>>
>>29227013
Huge difference between black bear and grizzly.
>>
>>29227040
Black bears are like cats. They're really more afraid of you if their Cubs aren't around and usually 200 pounds less than a grizzly
>>
>>29227059

Yes and no: Black bear attacks, when they happen, tend to be predatory in nature.
>>
Woo let's get some more bear stories.
I live in Montana but havnt had any close encounters with bears even though I see them from time to time.
My brother and I almost hit a yearling black bear in my truck on the way home from the bar one night. The little guy was laying in the middle of the road. I stopped in time and he ran off.

I've seen grizzlys from a distance and got the hell out of the area. Nothing too special.
>>
>>29227138
I have another but not as interesting

>be me 14 living in juneau alaska
>15 year old brother mowing the lawn at grandmas house
>grandma loves about 10 miles from the nearest harbor so it's somewhat isolated there
>brothers not paying attention much and I'm just sitting there on the porch talking with my grandma
>notice something big and black moving in the neighbors yard
>double take and don't see anything
>they have a black lab so that's probably all it is
>about a minute later the lawn mower turns off
>brothers yelling at the top of his lungs some war cry sounding scream
>next thing I see is a black bear running full speed across the lawn
>next comes my brother. Shirtless. Screaming like Alqueda before a bombing. Spinning his shirt around his head. Chasing the bear
>no bears showed up around grams house for about a month
>my brothers now an ex-marine. Surprises surprise
>>
>>29227224
My sides anon
>>
>>29227311
Alaska was a fun place to grow up in
>>
>>29227021
So bears really can't run downhill? Always thought that was a stupid myth,
>>
>>29223890

Anything 4 bore
>>
>>29227375
Finish your sentence.
>>
>>29227425
>>
>>29227388
Pretty sure that bear was being shot...
>>
>>29227442
Okay, that was funny.
>>
>>29227465
Thanks. I would definitely like to hear any bear stories that other people have
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.