[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>new military thing is designed "wow this thing is fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 1456487244427.jpg (85 KB, 678x800) Image search: [Google]
1456487244427.jpg
85 KB, 678x800
>new military thing is designed

"wow this thing is fucking gay and will never work"

>new military thing is built

"wow this thing is fucking gay and has so many problems"

>new military thing is fielded

"wow this thing is fucking gay"

>new military thing is designed to replace old military thing

"wow this thing is fucking gay and will never do as good a job as the old military thing"
>>
File: k is full of luddites.jpg (433 KB, 1330x1405) Image search: [Google]
k is full of luddites.jpg
433 KB, 1330x1405
>>29219595
>>
>>29219595
>old military thing shows up in store

"hey guys check out my new milsurp"
>>
>>29219620
It's true, but that doesn't mean that anyone, including grunts, officers, and engineers, can accurately predict what weapons are going to actually be important.
>>
>Hey milfags I have a question about X in relation to Y could you help me out?

"Hmm I did 10 years USMC/Army/Navy/AF but your question is more suited for Army/Navy/AF/USMC instead

>FUCKING ATTENTION SEEKING WELFARE WHORES NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR SERVICE YOU DUMB FUCK I HOPE YOU DIE OF AIDS AND YOUR KIDS GET RAPED
>>
>>29219595
>new military thing is designed to replace old military thing.

This doesn't mean it's actually better.

Take the MOLLE II pack, it has many advantages over the ALICE Large, it is more convenient to load, it has a more ergonomic frame that is curved like a person's back, and it has PALS webbing to attach items to it.

However it's also like two pounds heavier and you can easily add all of those upgrades to an Alice apart from the front loading feature and call it a day for two less pounds.

Source: my heavy backpacking ruck is an Alice Large with a 1606ac frame and DE mountaineering straps.

I just wish I could get someone to make me an alice large with 1000 denier cordura bathtub floor and everything else made from ultralight ripstop to make it lighter, and also some PALS in certain places.
>>
>>29219697
send molle monkey tactical an email, he could probably make it for you if you give him an Alice pack as a base
>>
>>29219697
>>29219697
The FILBE is an even better example, since it can use the same frame and straps as an ALICE, the FILBE bag is literally just a more modular Alice which is worse in every other way.
>>
>>29219737
>molle monkey tactical
Sounds like an idea.

The one thing that is undoubtedly obsolete about the ALICE is the heavy nylon canvas it's made from.
>>
>>29219595

MRAP, MATV, M240, M1 tank, ACH helmet were welcomed by people using their predecessors.
>>
>new military thing shows up
>it's the newest edition pair of binos that tell grids and lase ranges, it's about $30,000
>let's give it to the LT in 3rd platoon!
>here LT, open the box and take out your new vector, go ahead and sign for it!
>1 week into field problem
>LT is trying to move our vehicles into herringbone in high loom conditions in a field
>LT stops talking for a solid 10 minutes
>Platoon SGT raging into mic like 10 year old on COD
radio crackles after a few more minutes
>"uhhhh....3-7 this is 3-6, over"
>"3-6, 3-7"
>"this is 3-6, uhhh...i just ran over my vector, over"
>"this is 3-7 I DON'T GIVE A FUCK, GET US INTO OUR GODDAMN BATTLE POSITIONS AND WE CAN WORRY ABOUT THAT LATER! OVER!"
>"3-7, 3-6...i really don't care about our BP's right now, I think I'm looking at a statement of charges I mean the things prett-"
>"3-6, I DON'T FUCKING CARE, IF YOU DO NOT DO YOUR JOB I AM GOING TO SKULLFUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING SCRUB! HOW COPY, OVER"
everyone from RTO to teamleader is dying of laughter in our battle positions on the hill
>"3-7, 3-6; i copy your last"
im dismounted with RTO since LT kicked him out for talking too much shit so we can track company chatter
>"3-6, 6"
>3-6 is still on platoon radio
>"ahh shit, 3-7, the CO is about to assfuck me"
platoon sgt seizes the opportunity
>"6, 3-7, 3-6 is currently assessing the vector that he just rendered inoperable, over"
>"3-7, 6, roger, have 3-6 come to my truck when he's done, over"
What a fucking night that was. By the way, that LT isn't going on our deployment with us like he was supposed to. I wonder why.
>>
>>29219794
I hate the MRAP / MATV. The MRAP will destroy you when you eat shit on the stairs. I much prefer the troop ramp on a Bradley and unforunately the Stryker. I hate Strykers for a ton of reason, but the thing works well in the right environment, NOT Afghanistan. The MATV is a 4-door cramped up lifted truck and it's just plain uncomfortable.
>>
>>29219697
>thing that goes on the part of the body that handles large amounts of burden more effectively than any other part of the body is two pounds heavier than another thing
It's not that big a deal, brah.
>>
>>29219835

Go fuck yourself. Try driving a humvee with no AC and get back with me on how much the MRAP/MATV sucks.
>>
>>29219860
Try sitting in a fucking Bradley with NO AC, dipshit.
>>
>>29219880

Next life don't be stupid enough to sign as cav scout
>>
>>29219913
11b
>>
>>29219922

Comment still applies
>>
>>29219956
Comment doesn't make sense because I'm not a cav scout heh heh hehhh

I love my work, I really don't have to argue for it or explain myself.
>>
>>29219989

> not going woft after first enlistment

Come on, now
>>
>>29220005
I'd be called too-tall for days on end. It only rarely happens now. Plus I hate working with women as it is. And I saw a black hawk crash at NTC like 3 weeks ago.
>>
>>29220053

Fair point
>>
File: Jizz_0a63db_923995.jpg (8 KB, 149x219) Image search: [Google]
Jizz_0a63db_923995.jpg
8 KB, 149x219
>>29219620
B-but.... Muh stawshep troopuhs.

I want powered armor.

>Mfw my holdout gun is a belt fed full auto .50 BMG.
>mfw my sidearm is a combo .40mm RPG launcher/ flamethrower
>M
>F
>W
>my primary weapon is a supersonic molten pile launcher

And I can ...you know fly.... And punch holes in vaults n shit.
>>
>>29219595

You missed a part of that

>New military thing spends 40 years in service successfully after initial teething issues but is approaching end of it's lifetime

"Why do we need to replace it?"

repeat
>>
>>29219595

>Antiquated, barely-good enough when it was new equipment

"Guys, this shit is sturdy as fuck. Cheap as shit since it's surplus, the made so much of it, and most of it never got used, it was good enough for x military during x conflict (or not conflict at all, looking at you cold war non-Russian Warsaw Pact Countries), new modern shit is gay, this stuff is built to last"

Don't get me wrong, I'm kind of guilty of it, but in relation to OP's point yeah it's kind of ridiculous
>>
>>29219620
"There is no CURRENTLY FEASIBLE way to make power armor suitable for combat".

The most we have right now is powered exoskeletons that help us move heavy shit.
>>
>>29222536

>There is no CURRENTLY FEASIBLE way to make aircraft carriers suitable for combat

>The most we have right now is outdated biplanes that can barely take off from a converted merchant ship that could be used for dropping a handful of hand-held bombs and reconnaissance
>>
>>29222536
Could literally make an armored exoskeleton for door kicking right now, attack it with a cable to a truck for power
>>
>>29222629
>an armored exoskeleton for door kicking

Or you could just kick the door.

Doors aren't very strong. That's why "door-kicking" is a thing.
>>
File: 564564651.jpg (114 KB, 618x581) Image search: [Google]
564564651.jpg
114 KB, 618x581
>>29219620
The problem with power armor is, why bother? With how ludicrously expensive it would be, you're better off with the 20 or so guys with normal gear rather than 1 guy that is slightly harder to kill (Have to keep in mind, with power armor comes anti-power armor.)
>>
>>29222663
door's sometimes have IED's or people with guns behind them

>>29222716
People aren't cheap
>>
>>29222729

This guy has a point, it takes years to make a whole new person
>>
>>29222729

Then why the fuck are you putting a person right next to an IED?

In the same breath you're saying that doors are dangerous and that's exactly why we need to put a person as close as possible to one ??
>>
>>29222606
Yes, and? As tech advances, the unfeasible becomes feasible. Just because some nutter on /k/ wants to anti-circlejerk doesn't mean I can't call him out.

>>29222729
>door's sometimes have IED's or people with guns behind them
What is a breaching charge, a man-portable ram, or a flashbang for 500, Alex.
>>
>>29222729
>all doors everywhere are dangerous so don't even show up to war unless you have powered armor!

Child logic.

>>29222818
>What is a breaching charge, a man-portable ram, or a flashbang for 500, Alex.

this.
>>
>>29222729
>People aren't cheap
Doesn't really prove me wrong. Up against insurgents, you need to cover as much ground as possible, having as many boots on the ground as you can get. Against a formal army, they just hand out modernized anti-tank rifles.
>>
>>29222884
>Get people killed doing stupid shit is a-ok because war is risky!

Guess we better take armor off all our vehicles, and only fly airplanes at 2,000 feet, huh?
>>
>>29219620
But the crossbow was fielded before the longbows.
>>
>>29222909
>doing stupid shit

You're 12.
>>
>>29222181
the issue usually isnt the replacement, its the replacement with something that doesnt do the same job

For example the A-10 getting replace by the F-35 when it doesnt do the job as well as the A-10
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.