[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say there was a gun that was only made in 5.56, and I wanted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: Kel-Tec-RDB-Profiles.jpg (195 KB, 958x639) Image search: [Google]
Kel-Tec-RDB-Profiles.jpg
195 KB, 958x639
Say there was a gun that was only made in 5.56, and I wanted it in .308, what exactly would I have to do? I know I'm gonna have to build one from scratch, and I know I'm gonna have to beef up some parts and change the mag well, but I'd like to get /k/'s thoughts on this/how possible it would be. I know there'd be a lot of effort but I have access to enough tooling to do this, it's just a matter of redesign and such.

Pic related is the gun by the way. I know they made and RFB in .308 but I don't want that because it doesn't particularly fit what I'm looking for. This hits all the right spots EXCEPT caliber.
>>
bumping for curiosity. I wanna do this but I wanna not be a retard in doing it.
>>
>what exactly would I have to do?
Spend a lot of money on equipment you don't know how to use and more on learning how to use it or spending more money than both of those by paying someone to do it.

You faggots are so goddamn autistic sometimes. Just find another gun or use 5.56.
>>
>>29213732
Did you not read the part where I have access to the tooling?
>>
>>29213755
you would need to get a barrel in the caliber you wanted, and then machine that barrel so that it properly interfaces with the receiver of your existing gun. This is of course assuming that there's enough room in the gun and that putting a larger barrel will not displace some other vital part. You will also have to fabricate another bolt, locking lugs, and receiving slots for those locking lugs. You probably won't be able to use the original body of the gun because of the need for a larger mag well, and the larger partts required to cycle .308 vs 5.56
Basically you can use the existing trigger pack and maybe the forend, but the feeding system, ejection system, gas system, locking system, furniture, and maybe barrel will have to be machined from scratch.
Not trying to be a negative Nancy but if you're asking what you'd have to do to accomplish this, I doubt you'd be able to do it even if you had access to a machine shop. Can I ask what it is exactly about the RDB in .308, as opposed to the RFB, that would make it perfect for your needs?
>>
>>29213564
So you're saying you want an RFB that ejects behind the magazine?

Most likely buying 2, and seeing what similarities if any there are.
>>
>>29213564
if you want to have a short rifle in a long range caliber who's brass is easy to collect, it would probably be easier to build a gun around the action of an existing semiauto .308, rotated 90 degrees to eject downward
that way you can do "beltway two: electric boogaloo" without wrecking a rifle that's hard enough to find in the first place
>>
>>29213990
Close, yeah. The moment I saw the breakdown f the RDB that was exactly what I've been looking for in terms of simplicity/ejection. Pretty much just upgrading to the .308 caliber.

>>29213962
I understand I'd have to remake everything, I was more wondering what I'd have to pat close attention to in terms of making sure it won't explode with me redesign. I'm gonna need to get some diagrams of all the parts and the gun itself (idk if there are CAD files out there or whatever but those couldn't hurt). I'd print the "shell" out of a 3d printer for testing (or use the college's) and everything else would be done out of a shop owned by my local gunsmith.

>>29214020
It's not about ease of brass collection, its about the potential I see in the RDB itself for my use. I am gonna make a gross as fuck AK bullpup sometime though that side feeds and downward ejects.
BTW thanks for the actual responses.
>>
>>29214059
>potential I see in the RDB itself for my use
what is that? also be sure to post pics of this AK thing you're gonna make. sounds metro
>>
>>29214059
Or you could just go for the desert tech mdr. ..

.308 and 5.56
Easy change features
Bullpup
Great trigger
Ambi charging handle in the same fashion as the hk
Ambi mag release
Better bolt release
From a company that has better qc
From a company more tested
From a company that doesn't shill vaporware
Short stroke piston instead of rdb long stroke
Doesn't have a fuck huge opening that if gunk gets in, the rifle is functionless
>>
File: JCL_3146.jpg (75 KB, 674x450) Image search: [Google]
JCL_3146.jpg
75 KB, 674x450
>>29214098
Forgot pic
>>
>>29214098
I've been considering that, but I personally have doubts about it when I haven't been able to find a single video of someone actually firing it. Furthermore, the RDB sports everything I would actually need. And I'm more interested in trying to build something anyway (though I will probably pick up an MDR some day).
>>
>>29214145
There's a vid of MAC shooting it in its post alpha stage.
Here's the vid of the rdb mud test. A bit long winded but it's your money and effort going into this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ybQRUl_iFEA

Also sidenote - slow your ass down. Little bird at keltec informed me that if the rdb does good keltec will be stepping up the rifle to higher calibers (whilst also phasing out the rfb) chief of which are the .308/7.62x51 and the .300blk

Stuff to also look forward to is the cz 805 bren rifle (msrp slated at 2k) and cz Evo carbine.
Scar 20 (dmr variant of the .308)
Bamf rifle
And other nifty crap
>>
>>29214098
Shit also forgot to add, non reciprocating ch
>>
On second thought maybe it'd be easier to just use their ejection system and build a new firearm around that, work on either copying or designing a good trigger, then building the rest just based on my own design.

>>29214168
I emailed them and they said no .308 was planned for the RDB. If you could find the video of MAC shooting the MDR I'd be really pleased, I've wanted to see it in action.

Regarding the inrange video I agree that's a big problem, but I THINK (I'm not yet positive) that could be fairly easily remediated with a dust cover like the AR-15. IDK, the more I look at the RDB the more I just wanna use their downward ejecting design and throw most of the rest out.
>>
>>29214184
again
>get semiauto .308
>take all the bits off that aren't involved in feeding, firing or ejecting
>rotate 90 degrees
>build trigger linkage
>3d print some furniture around the whole
shebang
>????
> downward ejecting bullpoop
bonus points if the magazine remains on the side
>>
>>29214196
You mean remains on the bottom, right?
>>
>>29214196
The issue I see is the over travel required in that, however I imagine you could take the BCG from a different .308 chambered firearm and and change how far the bolt travels i imagine.
>>
>>29213564
Your plan is to dump a significant amount of time and effort into building a custom rifle...with the end result being a Kel-Tec knock off.

Rather than trying to redesigning a 5.56 rifle to shoot 7.62, you'd be much better off modifying the RFB to fit your needs. Speaking of which, you haven't actually explained why the RFB doesn't fit your needs, how the RDB does, and the critical differences between the two that warrants such and overly circuitous plan.
>>
>>29214280
Thats why I'm looking at the suggestion by >>29214196
and planning on building something from scratch. All I really want from the RDB is the downward ejection and simplicity, so largely I'm gonna copy their design except with a .308 bolt taken from some other gun. I already have a few ideas that I think will be pretty good I just need some time to jot them down and talk to my gunsmith.

And yeah, I'm not longer redesigning a 5.56 to shoot 7.62, I'm gonna redesign a 7.62 to eject downward.
>>
>>29214299
Why not just get an RFB, plug the forward eject channel, and cut a downward ejection chute?
>>
>>29214320
Tell me where the downward ejection flute would go?
Also, I'm thinking it'd be way easier to design/build a new one from the ground up than anything else,
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 640x480
>>29214329
Ideally it would be right where the front ejection port plug ends. You'd cut a new side oriented ejection port and fabricate something like pic related to facilitate the downwards ejection.
>>
>>29214362
but the rifle naturally pushed the round up, I'd also need to fabricate a way for it to push it to the side.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 650x216) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 650x216
>>29214370
Yes, the empty casing is pushed into and through the ejection channel. All you'd be doing is modify that existing channel. Ejection shouldn't be much of an issue considering that spent rounds already have enough momentum to travel the full length of the channel.
>>
>>29213755
That guy is not being a "negative Nancy", he's totally right and your are totally retarded. No, you don't have the proper tooling, and you certainly do not have the knowledge required to re-engineer a gun from the ground up ffs. Gtfo you autistic fuck
>>
>>29215212
I didn't call him a negative nancy. I just pointed out that I do have access to all the tools I will need. Whether you believe that not or not I don't care, it really doesn't matter to me.
>>
>>29213564
Soooo you want the RFB in .308, but you dont want to just buy it in 308....you want to take the 556 version and make it 308....?
You are fucking retarded.
>i want this product that exists
>but buying it is too easy
>i would rather fuck up the similar version
>>
>>29213564
You do not have access to tooling to do this. Unless your college has a nice heat treat furnace.
>>
>>29215547

My thoughts exactly.

>uhhh isn't the RFB already in .308

That said, I'm sure it would be a learning experience.
>>
>>29214145
>RDB has all of the features I would actually need
>need
Stop kidding yourself sport, you don't "need" any of this. You probably could upsize an existing design, if you were a talented gun smith/machinist/engineer (in which case you wouldn't be asking /k/ how to do it), this would require building the entire gun from scratch and might even require custom tooling. It would almost certainly be cheaper and easier to take and modify an existing .308 though.
>>
This is a classic case of "If you have to ask you don't have the skills nor the tools to make it"
>>
>>29214445
They don't eject with any real force. The chute has a stop to keep them from falling into the action, but they are just pushed out by the cases behind them.
>>
>>29214200
nah dude on the side
if you rotated a regular gun 90 degrees clockwise while you were holding it, the brass would eject downwards and the mag would be across your
chest
everyone always complains how hard it is to reload bullpups but it would solve that problem
>>29214261
over travel of the trigger linkage?
>>
>>29215862
>mill .308 case sized hole in the side of the ejection tube
>put a little .45 degree plug in front of it
>simple channel directing cases sideways, then downward
>>
>>29214168
Went to bed. Here's the link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oSZ-jrr4LU4

They have no official current plans on a .308 rdb. Official is the key word. Look believe me or dont. I'm just saying I do alot of work in cocoa, florida
>>
>>29216935
if you were to buy a sub2k, what would you put on it?
>>
>>29217100
I would get a micro, simply because it fits the purpose/use of the rifle.

It makes a surprisingly decent varmint carbine innawoods of Florida (rodents and smaller game that you can get within a few hundred yards)
>>
>>29217183
as in a micro dot sight?
>>
>>29213564
>I have access to enough tooling to do this
No, you don't. If you actually did then you'd also have enough knowledge of where to start instead of asking on /k/. No one who doesn't even have enough knowledge of where to start would actually have access to that unless by access you mean breaking into some place. Further more, reverse engineering a semi auto rifle and redesigning it so that it can use a larger caliber would be a multi year project if you're just working on it in your free time unless you're doing it with a team of people.
>>
>>29217502
>what are friends
Yeah. I have learning to do with said equipment but I have friends (one gunsmith who manufactures ARs from scratch every now and then in particular) who have the tooling required. I do plan on learning this shit.

I can't believe the autism you guys have, not undertstanfing that friends are a valuable resource is getting access to various things.
>>
>>29218088
their concerns are valid though. if your friend is such a great machinist, why are you asking anonymous posters on a neolithic stone tool forum how to design a gun from scratch?
check if your local junior college has classes in mechanical design, machine tool operation, and drafting. Without this knowledge, You're just going to burn through a bunch of your friends expensive tooling and metal trying to design one of the most cutting-edge bullpup designs from the ground up
>>
RDB design isn't suitable for .308, you're looking at an absurdly long LOP when adjusting for the length of the mag well and required travel for the bolt so it can properly eject downward. It might be an interesting experience to try and make one but you're looking at a pretty much unusable final product which would be a waste of time for everyone involved
>>
File: poorboygunsmith 32.png (840 KB, 642x484) Image search: [Google]
poorboygunsmith 32.png
840 KB, 642x484
>>29218088
>I do plan on learning this shit
Might I suggest starting with a project about 100 times simpler then? Such as a straight blowback over sized "pistol" in 9mm or some other pistol caliber like what a lot of homemade guns on the forums dedicated to building guns are.
>>
File: RFB3-6-16.jpg (184 KB, 1328x747) Image search: [Google]
RFB3-6-16.jpg
184 KB, 1328x747
if any of you have any questions about the RFB, I own one. Ask away. I love mine.
>>
>>29213564
the fuck is your criteria then? Whats wrong with the RFB?
>>
>>29213755
>I have access to the tooling

I've been on this board for over ten years and have seen thousands of posts that go something this

guess how many of these people have ever followed through with their ideas?

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.