[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AK pistol Vs. AR pistol
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (46 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
46 KB, 1280x720
What pistol should I get first?
What one or brand do I need to get?
>>
Both
>>
"stabilizing braces" look cooler on ARs.
>>
>>29213340
Can only afford one right now
>>
>>29213310
How about an AK pistol in 9x39mm?

(Or an AR pistol in .300 blackout)
>>
>>29213441
Tell me more?
>>
Ar makes more sense.

Get a piston driven one of you go really short on the barrel
>>
>>29213540
Oh, it's just that rounds slower than 5.56/5.45 tend to do better with shorter barrels, though 9x39 would be going a bit over the top, with availability being lousy.
>>
>>29213310
The AK will be shorter due to not having a buffer tube stickin out the back, 5.56x45mm is better for if you ever have to defend yourself with it (unless you're getting something with a barrel under 10" in which case get something in a pistol caliber because all intermediate rifle rounds start performing like pistol ammunition from barrels shorter than 10"), the AR will be more customizable and you'll have more options if you do want to customize it, the AR would be better for mounting optics, if the AR pistol is over 26" long you can put a forward pistol grip on it (you'll have trouble hitting that with an AK).
>>
File: Hello Darkness My Old Friend.jpg (63 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Hello Darkness My Old Friend.jpg
63 KB, 640x640
>>29213441
>9x39mm
You mean a round which there only exists a handful of cartridges of in North America?
Yeah, sure, great idea.

>>29213671
>piston driven
NO! Bad anon.

>>29213687
So just suggest an AK pistol or an AR pistol in .300BLK from the get-go you dumbass

>>29213757
>The AK will be shorter due to not having a buffer tube stickin out the back
True, but you can legally shoulder an AR pistol if it doesn't have a stock or brace.
Not amazing, but it works.

>5.56x45mm is better for if you ever have to defend yourself with it (unless you're getting something with a barrel under 10" in which case get something in a pistol caliber because all intermediate rifle rounds start performing like pistol ammunition from barrels shorter than 10")
Actually, given the heavier weight of .300BLK and 7.62x39mm, they actually perform very reasonably out of short barrels, 10" is enough to get rather good ballistics.
5.56x45mm and 5.45x39mm will be very lackluster at these barrel lengths, the 5.56 already performs pretty meekly out of a 14" barrel, these calibers rely on high speed, and really short barrels hampers their potential immensely.

However, pistol calibers do get a good boost from a longer than usual 10" barrel, a nice 9mm Luger load from a 10" barrel can get ballistics not that far from an average .357 Magnum load from about a 4" or 6" barrel, absolutely nothing to sneeze at. Plus, recoil is soft and ammunition is rather cheap, which is appealing for a fun-gun.
There are 9mm AR pistols that take Glock magazines, which is very appealing to many, as the 33rd mags are common and work well.

All this said; 5.56mm and 5.45mm are both still very FUN to shoot from short barrels, lots of fire, lots of noise.
Mikhail Kalashnikov thought the 5.45mm was a mistake, but even he thought that the AKs-74u was a very fun gun to shoot
>>
File: mk262 mod 1 gel.jpg (40 KB, 578x272) Image search: [Google]
mk262 mod 1 gel.jpg
40 KB, 578x272
>>29214377
>Actually, given the heavier weight of .300BLK and 7.62x39mm, they actually perform very reasonably out of short barrels, 10" is enough to get rather good ballistics.
>5.56x45mm and 5.45x39mm will be very lackluster at these barrel lengths, the 5.56 already performs pretty meekly out of a 14" barrel, these calibers rely on high speed, and really short barrels hampers their potential immensely.
All the testing I've seen has shown 77 grain 5.56 beating the shit out of .300 BLK and especially 7.62x39mm as long as the barrel is over 10" long. From a 10" barrel, 77 grain Mk262 Mod 1 will fragment and leave a wound like pic related out to 50 yards. The idea of 5.56 performing poorly out of a 14" barrel comes from the M855 which performed worse than the original M193 (M193 fragments out to 90 yards from a 14" barrel vs 65 yards for the M855). For comparison, the 77 grain Mk262 Mod 1 from a 14" barrel will outperform the M193 from a 20" barrel. Simple tumbling and expansion don't come close to fragmentation for leaving large wounds.

If you want to read more about fragmentation vs tumbling for rifle rounds:
http://www.nps.gov/pinn/learn/nature/upload/bullet_fragmentation_comparisons.pdf
https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Fackler_Articles/ak74_wounding_potential.pdf
>>
>>29216071
Chart for the distances that common 5.56 will fragment out to from different barrel lengths if you're interested.
>>
>>29213441
There exists a .300 blk AK
I want a .300 blk VZ58
>>
>>29216071
I'm aware that a lot of the bad rep with .223 comes from the absolutely subpar M855 cartridge, but for a cartridge like the .223, I really prefer a 20" barrel to get the best performance out of it.

Like, if you're going for speed, go long or go home.
>>
AR pistol chambered in .50 Beowulf or something else economically batshit but ballistically arousing.
>>
>>29214377
>>The AK will be shorter due to not having a buffer tube stickin out the back
>True, but you can legally shoulder an AR pistol if it doesn't have a stock or brace.
>Not amazing, but it works.

i'm going to need a source for that
>>
>>29217105
you wont find one cause there is no clear answer
prearmbrace letter perfectly legal to shoulder theres no illegal way to hold a gun

post armbrace illegal to shoulder armbrace

however there's no new ruling on shouldering a plain buffer tube
either you say fuck it theres nothing explicitly banning it or think you cant shoulder armbraces so you cant shoulder tubes better safe than arrested

that said shouldering a buffertube lets you shoot accurately if uncomfortably 100-300 yards meanwhile you are skilled if you can hit something past 50 yards with an ar/ak pistol held like a pistol
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.