[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In a total Dark age reverted SHTF scenario do you think we could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Naval Weapons1000.jpg (117 KB, 576x415) Image search: [Google]
Naval Weapons1000.jpg
117 KB, 576x415
In a total Dark age reverted SHTF scenario do you think we could re-discover/invent the musket? Or would we be able to catch up to our modern firearms quicker? Or there's the true shit scenario of reverting to blades and bows again.
>>
>>29213263
the tech wouldn't be easily forgotten. the idea of gunpowder weapons would resurface quickly. modern firearms would come along at the same time as modern machining was re-introduced. blades and bows would be relevant as long as materials and resources were scarce
>>
File: 1356154722320.gif (533 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1356154722320.gif
533 KB, 480x270
>>29213263
going back to black powder would not push us so far back as the musket, what you would see is a greater reliance on blowback weapon systems as opposed to gas operation, blowback and recoil operated systems can function dirtier than a gas operated system. they are usually heavier or require a system like the g3 that uses a delaying mechanism (roller delay in the case of the g3) to allow for the chamber pressure to drop to safe levels which would be lower in the case of BP. effectively making guns like the AR15 less than usable but guns like the g3 more practicable.
>>
>>29213263

God I love the design of flintlock rifles, if only somebody can keep that design and maybe turn it into a bolt action or semi auto. I'd fucking buy a million of those. But just keep that look, all I ask for.
>>
>>29213263
Believe it or not, most post collapse gunsmiths in junk towns with a forge and some hand tools could probably make decent single shot bolt action rifles.

Flint locks will probably be in the hands of primitive tribal gunsmiths
>>
>>29213913

>yfw chechen and Brazilian gunsmiths
>>
>>29213263
Well in a Dark Age we are saying EMP bombs take out most electronics, lots of guns were made in pre industrual societies, so basically we go back to post civil war revolvers, lever actions and break tops.
>>
>>29213443
Look into falling block rifles like the Martini Henry, probably the closest to what you're thinking of.
>>
>>29214185

Could you even buy a martini rifle at a good price nowadays?
>>
>>29213263
Why Revolution was shit has already been done to death.
>>
>>29214169
This plus bolt action. I would imagine that we could maintain something like that without manufactured maintenance gear
>>
>>29214885
It depends what kind of condition you want it in lol.
>>
>>29214885
http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-736-m-1878-martini-henry-short-lever-infantry-rifle-untouched.aspx
>>
>>29213913

Why just single shot? It's not like magazines and followers are hard to cobble together.

OP, it would really just eliminate semi- and full-auto weapons. Mostly because it's hard to make consistent springs without modern-ish machinery.
>>
I would assume we would revert to black powder cartridge rifles so long as someone can make fulminated mercury for the primer.
>TFW you will never own a post apocalyptic martini henry
>>
>>29215314
>primer

Piezoelectric is a strong contender. Simple design, common as dirt, and quartz is strong enough to withstand the pressures involved.
>>
yeah it would be impossible to make semi autos with machinery. oh wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FinRqCocwGE
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.