[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Walther Conceal Carry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9
File: 1455182201311.jpg (36 KB, 940x600) Image search: [Google]
1455182201311.jpg
36 KB, 940x600
School me on the Walthers, primarily the PPS and maybe the CCP. Do they really have the smoothest and best triggers on a single stack 9mm? I admit I kinda slept on Walther because of the shitposting and because they're just not as popular as Glock or S&W but I'm looking into them now.
>>
>>29212635
Trigger is pretty good for a striker fire gun, but the main draw is how damn thin it is.
>>
>>29212635
Just get a Glock 43 or a Shield. Unless you must have special snowflake gun. Then get PPS M2.
>>
>>29212939
I'm looking into the PPS and I'll try to find one to shoot but the supposed quality of the trigger and the rail have my curiosity.
>>
I own a PPQ - not either of the guns you are interested in, but here is what I have learned from research.

The original PPS (the one in your picture) is considered a good carry gun. One negative for a lot of people is the fact that removing the backstrap will lock the gun's internals (this comes from retarded Euro gun handling practices - deactivating the gun in lieu of storing it in a safe). The problem is that the more you remove and replace the backstrap, the more easily it comes out, and hence the less strongly it is retained. A lot of people just superglue it, but given that these retail for $500+, it's a big negative.

There is now a PPS M2, which has three notable upgrades, and two downgrades. 1) There is no removable backstrap lock anymore, 2) the trigger pull is supposed to be better on this one, and 3) the retail price is in the $400 range (quite a bit less than the original PPS). The downgrades are: 1) No more accessory rail, and 2) no more paddle mag release (you may not care about this if you've never tried one). It also has forward cocking serrations and a slightly different grip texture. As someone who has never even seen a PPS in a gun store, I'm just going on 2nd hand info here, but supposedly the PPS M2 does not have as good of a trigger pull as the PPQ.

The CCP is a very strange gun design, a little taller than the PPS but lower capacity than the PPQ, and you should really do a lot of research into it before deciding whether you want one. It uses a unique gas piston buffer type of action which is very tricky to field strip, and requires a small tool that can be easily lost. It reportedly has a weird trigger that is not at all close to as luxurious as a PPQ or even a PPS. There is also some debate as to whether it is a "true Walther" handgun and not something designed and built by their parent company, Umarex, who is known for two things: 1) Making airsoft guns, and 2) buying out Walther some years ago and now owning Walther's branding rights.
>>
>>29213007
I want a PPQ so bad.

Would you recommend it as a viable sidearm for an armed guard.
As in it sits on my belt all day and I'll probably never use it, but if I do it needs to go bang?
>>
PPS is stonking great.
>>
File: IMG_20160310_092013.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160310_092013.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>29212635
PPS mk. 2 owner here. got one two weeks ago. Was in the market for a sub compact, salesman showed me the new PPS mk. 2, I was interested but not sold. Especially since it holds at least 1 less round than most comparable sized handguns.

Shot several, ended up having best groupings and enjoying the pps the most. My brother was doing the same thing with fullsized and compact handgus, ended up coming out of the same range in love with a ppq.

It locks up great, easy to clean, some people complain about comfort-ability and the gripping they have, it feels great to my dainty hands, and allows me to get a really good purchase on the firearm.

My brother lives with me, so I've fired his ppq alot as well, not a huge fan of the trigger guard release, but I shot better with it than my Canik TP9 :P
>>
File: 20160309_200455.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160309_200455.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>29213869
Either that or a P99 would be a great choice. Excellent size, excellent triggers, excellent grip, excellent everything. You can even CC it if you chose, they are glock 19ish size.
>>
>>29215295
That P99 is my dream gun, do you happen to know what gen or year that one is?
Its so hard to find info on stuff like that.
>>
>>29215342
Get a canik tp9. Just as good and cheaper
>>
>>29215491
But it doesnt have the wonderful paddle mag release.
I have thought about getting the tp9 first while saving up for the P99 but it seems better to just save up more to start with.
>>
>>29215284
What kond of keyboard is that m80?
>>
>>29215571
i do love my tp9 but the ppq just feels better all around imo and i shoot better with it.

>>29215585
its actually a quickfire rapidi tenkeyless. the "i" version is backlit, a roommate bought it for me last christmas. i have it in browns. it works great however the led's started failing immediately. I can RMA it of course, but then I'm without the keyboard, and i prefer not using the backlight anyway. its distracting to me.

the keys are from WASDkeyboards, however they didn't package the delete key, so its on its way through usps right now.
>>
>>29215342
It is a gen 3. Full size paddle mag release and non proprietary light rail. $504.00 on BudsGunShop.com with free shipping. Your first Gen TP9 will be larger, not have the paddle, and won't have the quick reset trigger. Do it anon, you won't regret.
>>
>>29215933
Thats exactly what I was looking for, thank you! As soon as the next pay day comes Im deff getting it.
>>
>>29215342
dome things to look for to help you judge them are the slide cuts, accesory rail and the "ski hump". then you have the MR Eagle and S&W99. they all have fuck ugly grip textures for the most part
>>
>>29213869
My daily carry is a PPQ M2 and I love it
>>
>>29216677
pic plz?
>>
i just shot the pps and glock and tell you the truth i don't shoot pps much worse at all.shooting is where it shines and it feels good to me even tho its thin and hard angles..its stiff sharp mag release is a stretch and i have caught it on clothes and dropped the magazine before.i want to try another single stack but the pps is the most appealing to me for sure.if i carried i would use some grip tape to make sure the back strap stayed in.
>>
With a few hundred rounds through a PPS gen 1, I can readily recommend it. Precision is excellent and it's a very easy pistol to shoot well. It's a little thin for my taste, but hey, you may feel differently.

The PPS gen 2 loses the excellent ambi magazine release of the gen 1 but that wasn't many people's cup of tea anyway so i guess it's up to you whether you want one or the other, i've heard the gen 2s shoot just as well.

The CCP is another story, however. The trigger is by all reports just awful and the gas operating system is by all accounts totally useless as it doesn't make the pistol any easier to rack (as intended). Then again, those are just my impressions from some fondling in a shop and from a few tests I've seen done online, no actual live fire on a CCP for me.

Take those impressions for what you will.
>>
What does /k/ recommend for a concealed carry? Best for the money and a budget of 400. I know I should make a thread but im not going to. I have a local gunstore that has a bunch of police trade in glocks for around 300 but I do not like the grip, it feels weird in my hands for some reason.
>>
>>29219569
These all work for a manlet like me:
PPS (my carry)
M&P Shield
XDS
Glock 19,26, 43
there are more, but it's a good place to get started
>>
I have a pps .40

It is great. But if i could do it again... I would get it in 9mm
>>
>>29212635

I'll lend what I can. I've carried a PPS and a PPQM1 for many years.

When you buy walther stuff you need to be ready to get fed up with the problems that come with them. Namely a shit aftermarket, unobtanium cheap mags and some problems you can have with them that effect function if you're not careful. Holsters used to be a problem but not much anymore.

I bought my walthers with the intentional decision that I will train past the issues and I'm willing to pay atrocious prices for aftermarket items in exchange for a great trigger pull and a fantastic hand feel. Not everyone should do this!

For example, I live less than 30 miles from a glock factory. Armorers aplenty. Amazing aftermarket. Fucking 60 dollar night sights. Incredible! And I still could have dropped in a great trigger and come out cheaper than I did with my PPQ and the ridiculous plastic sights it came with.

What I'd do is go shoot the walther you like and compare it to all its rivals. Then weigh how much you like it and see if it leverages your desire over the ease of accessibility of other firearm accessories.
>>
>>29219569
>I know I should make a thread but im not going to

op here, it's fine. One of the best options is the m&p shield and you can find them on sale for $350 at times which is a ridiculously good deal considering things like the glock 43 go for $100 more
>>
>>29219605
>>29219976

Thanks fellas, ive had my eye on an xd for awhile now and ive only heard good things about the m&p's but never had a chance to use one. My brother carries a glock and swears by it ( hes a police officer) but I feel like its too big in my hand. Idk maybe I have smaller hands I guess. My dad bought a glock21 a while back and I had a chance to shoot it yesterday and it just didnt feel right.

Do either of you know how hard it is to get a ppk in the states? Its out of my budget range I think but it might be a better size grip for me.
>>
>>29220214
>Do either of you know how hard it is to get a ppk in the states?

It's pretty uncommon compared to the glock and m&p series but it's shouldn't be unobtanium. I usually knock xd's but get it if you feel like you would be at more comfort with having an extra safety measure on a striker fired gun and nothing more.

What kind of glocks have you shot?
>>
>>29220294
G21 and a G22. Maybe I should try a 9mm?
>>
>>29213007
I often forget why I bother coming to /k/, then a post like this pops up and I remember.
>>
File: some clips.jpg (906 KB, 1467x2200) Image search: [Google]
some clips.jpg
906 KB, 1467x2200
>>29212635
>>29213005
Waltherfag here, skipping the thread and answering OP

My PPS has one of the worst triggers of any gun I own. Only my nugget and P-64 are worse. I can't imagine how people would call it the best, it makes me suspicious that most people don't know what a "good" trigger is, let alone steps up from there like "great" or "best." The PPS uses a partially pre-charged striker mechanism, it's a derivative of their QA striker from the P99, only much heavier and longer.

If a single stack 9mm is what you want, get a Shield. Or try out the PPS M2, maybe they fixed the garbo trigger.
>>
>>29220517
Can you compare the PPS trigger to another striker-fired gun people might be familiar with?
>>
File: babbygun.jpg (871 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
babbygun.jpg
871 KB, 1800x1200
>>29220586
It's hard to because mine is so bad, it's not really like anything else.

To me it feels like a P99 QA trigger which has three times the pull weight, slightly grittier sear surfaces and about double the pull length. The P99 QA, for what it's worth, is Walther's version of a Glock trigger (partially pre-charged striker), unlike the PPQ (fully pre-charged striker) and P99 AS (fully precharged striker with DA/SA/decocker).

I like just about everything else about the PPS, I carried it for a year. But once I got a Shield, the +1 magazines and the much improved trigger won, and I switched to that. The Shield has more overtravel, but I fixed that.
>>
File: walthers.jpg (778 KB, 2988x2988) Image search: [Google]
walthers.jpg
778 KB, 2988x2988
>>29220661
>>29220586
The only thing I can say about the PPS M2's trigger is that it feels like a heavier PPQ trigger. These are the only pistols I own so I don't have much to compare them to.
>>
>>29220687
>PPS M2 only comes in button safety
FUCK
>deletes the rail
That's also gay, but wouldn't have been a deal-breaker.
>>
>>29220517
>it makes me suspicious that most people don't know what a "good" trigger is

There's been a lot of walther shilling here lately because some of their guns can be had for $300
>>
>>29221175
it's certainly what broke the tie between it and the Glock 43 for me.
but only the .40s are going for quite that low. Because everyone wanted .40 in a subcompact, until they tried it
>>
>>29221175
>>29221223
dunno mang, ppq has a sweet trigger
>>
I have the PPS. I have large hands and love it. Personally I like the thin grip. With the extended mag it's perfect. I carry it everywhere in a urban concealment holster which I also strongly advocate for. The mag release is the reason I got it. My shield kept popping the mag's loose if I bumped it a little bit. Not with this bastard. The trigger pull is what i t should be for the gun it is. It breaks at about 7 lbs. The back strap thing hasn't been a problem. It shoots like a full size, and find a compact with better sights. I bet you can't.
>>
>>29213007
The rail on the original was pretty much useless, especially it being a carry gun.

The switch to a regular mag release allows the trigger guard to be undercut more which feels really good for getting a high grip. The mag release is also a bit higher and walled off by the ridge of the trigger guard so there's no chance of hitting it with your middle finger or while carrying it.
>>
File: CAM00015.jpg (826 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
CAM00015.jpg
826 KB, 2240x1344
>>29212635
I have a pps. pic related.
The back strap is really a non issue. I've taken mine out a half dozen times and it is still tight. I could see it wearing if you popped it out every time you put the gun away but if you leave it on I don't know why you would super glue it. It feels very different then a full size anything. I point shoot with it better then any gun I've ever owned. It has me thinking that the whole short barrel means more muzzle flip is bullshit. The short barrel means that the bullet doesn't get as much speed and a lot of the powder is burned after so it's louder but it feels so much softer then a full size gun. Finding a holster has been a problem for me.
>>
File: CAM00016.jpg (1 MB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
CAM00016.jpg
1 MB, 2240x1344
>>29220517
I really like the trigger. I'm compairing it to a couple of 22s, a full size m&p 9mm (the worst in my book) a p99 (the best I've used) and a glock. I can't really compair them with rifle triggers because I have such a different grip on a rifle. My PPS is very smooth. It isn't a heavy pull maybe 5lbs ish? another pic because reasons.
Oh and I like the 7rd plate. the 8rd one drives my pinky down(really this is my fault but whatever) and the 6rd I feel like my pinky wants to slid off. It hasn't but it feels like it wants to.
>>
>>29223820
I've been looking at these holsters lately. Can you take a pic of yours?
>>
>>29224346
Well maybe mine's a lemon then. My trigger is around 9 pounds, and while it's not sandpaper gritty, it's not smooth. Worst of all though is the break. Obviously it's going to happen at the same point in the trigger pull because the mechanics aren't changing from pull to pull, but god it's so indistinct. There's no sense of when it's going to break like a double action revolver or something nice.
>>
>>29224378
Take the slide apart and see if they didn't fuck something up. Hell if you are in the 805 I'll take a look at it.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.