[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When does a rifle become an "assault rifle"? How does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: athult rifle.jpg (28 KB, 640x245) Image search: [Google]
athult rifle.jpg
28 KB, 640x245
When does a rifle become an "assault rifle"? How does one acquire a thirty magazine clip?
>>
>>29212199
Whenever it hits someone, is arrested, and brought before a judge.
>>
>>29212262
You got it mixed up.
The person has to feel threatened by the Rifle and then sue for assault.
Battery is when the rifle physically makes contact with the person.
>>
>>29212199
Intermediate round, select fire, detachable magazine preferred.

More of a military classification. ATF doesn't classify assault rifles as far as I know, because any select fire is a machine gun, so that would just leave public opinion, which basically means scary gun that has the aesthetics of a modern military small arm.
>>
>>29212455
This.
Usually its classified by individual states according to certain "scary" features such as
1: semi auto with ability to accept a large capacity mag (usually defined as more than 10 rounds)
2: Thumb hole or pistol grip
3: posessing a vertical foregrip
4: posessing a folding or collapsable stock

Also other features may be identified that I missed.

Also most states with assault weapon regulations have a list of named weapons where no matter what configuration they are in they still qualify as "assault weapons."
>>
>>29213405
Barrel shrouds. Those are scary, too. Gives you more thrust per squeeze.
>>
>>29213576
My brother was killed by a shoulder thing that goes up.
>>
>>29216195
At least he didn't suffer. It could've been a bike wheel, after all.
>>
>>29212199
>When does a rifle become an "assault rifle"?

When a politician wants to ban it
>>
>>29212455
Fun fact: Austria and Switzerland both called their battle rifles in 7.5x55 and 7.62x51 (SIG 510 and FN FAL) "Sturmgewehr".
The russians called their akm and ak74 rifles "submachinegun".
Some M16 variants had burst mode instead of full auto. (Yes, that's selective fire, strictly speaking).
Neither burst mode nor full auto are used much in modern assault rifles. From both a technical and practical point of view, the selective fire capability barely makes a difference. I get that it's an important legal difference (and it's nice to tell gungrabbers "assault rifles are banned already, stfu idiot") but there's really no good reason to make the distinction. And, IMO, if they had decided to go with semi only instead of semi plus burst with the M16, we'd not make it either.
>>
>>29216508
In the early development of a group of similar objects, it is not uncommon to find members of said group that do not conform with the definition that is later agreed upon.

Examples include:
>automatic, in relation to what automatic means in reference to firearms (ie. automatic revolvers)
>PC compatible, firstly in relation to computer architecture, and later in relation to software (ie. 8086, then Windows)
>planet, because poor pluto ;_;
>every psychiatric diagnosis ever, because medical science knows surprisingly little about the inner workings of the brain, so applied brain science is just rife with silliness
>
>>
didn't read thread lol

assault weapon:
looks like a dark, scary dragon dildo

assault rifle:
select fire, fires intermediate cartridge
intermediate cartridge usually means stuff smaller than a battle rifle's cartridge
>>
>>29212199
Assault weapon = scary looking black rifle. IE: another form of latent racism from the Liberal party.
>>
it has to have the shoulder thing that goes up, you know the barrel shroud
>>
>>29212199
Paint it black and give it army stuff, still thats more of a rifle.
>>
>>29213576
>>29216195
>>29216331
maximum kek
>>
the "assault weapon" is just a buzzword designed to manipulate ignorant people into being fearful, so that politicians can pass laws and feel useful.
>>
>>29217210
No, no it's not. It's a specific type of firearm.
It's a buzzword when its misused.
>>
>>29217220
If an assault weapon is a specific type of firearm, then why do the states banning them all have different criteria for what is considered an assault weapon? Why is my heavy barrelled AR-15 not an assault weapon in MD, but would be in NY?
>>
>>29217220
it's never been anything but a buzzword. its purpose is to give a negative connotation to weapons that have certain cosmetic features.
there is little difference between my mini-14, and my ar-15. why is one a scary "assault rifle?", while the other is ok?
if there were a concrete, objective definition that wasn't based on cosmetics, then i'd have to agree with you. but as it stands, "assault weapon" is an arbitrary, subjective definition that is changed whenever it suits the needs of the gun grabbers.
>>
>>29217263
Because Bloomberg is a tyrranical jew
http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/13/goodbye-big-soda-new-york-becomes-first-city-to-ban-large-sized-soft-drinks/
INB4 I know this is old news, and it's been overturned, but it's a great example of his lunacy and the people of New Yorks complacency to get fucked in the ass by their overlord and saviors
>>
>>29217322
It's just NYC.

The rest of the state is much better; at least the people are. The laws a shit statewide, but lots of people ignore them. Only ~5% of assault weapons were registered in accordance with the SAFE Act, most of them on Long Island.

Only one county outside Long Island hasn't passed a denouncement of the SAFE Act.
>>
Jesus fuck the amount of idiocy in this thread.

An "assault weapon" is a made up bullshit term for a scary looking black rifle.

An assault rifle has a real fucking definition which is a select fire rifle in an intermediate rifle caliber.
>>
>>29212199
>My glock takes 30 round assault clips
>>
File: 1409176521200s.jpg (11 KB, 250x198) Image search: [Google]
1409176521200s.jpg
11 KB, 250x198
>>29217341
NICE, I didn't know that. Good for you guys (if you live there) a healthy dose of civil disobedience!
>>
>>29217382
>mfw my CZ-52 is a normal looking non scary handgun thats over half a century old and holds 8+1, legal everywhere but new york & new jersey

>mfw it has scawwy cop killa Armor piercing bullets as regular ball ammunition and is legal anyway by antigunner standards of cosmetics and clippazine capacity.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.