[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know the significance of the white bands on the barrels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: APOSW-2016-012-0042.jpg (2 MB, 3000x1920) Image search: [Google]
APOSW-2016-012-0042.jpg
2 MB, 3000x1920
Anyone know the significance of the white bands on the barrels?
>>
they're for high speed low drag.
>>
>be OP
>Ouch, hurt my noggin on this barrel
>OSHA BITCH
>white stripes now.
>>
So the tanks can recognize each other's platoon affiliation visually. Didn't they teach you this in science class?
>>
>>29208022

Originally, barrel bands were for listing tank kills made by that tank but the Germans dropped this practice once they were bogged down in Russia, probably due to lack of paint supplies, better camouflage and not enough barrel length for listing killed Soviet tanks…

The U.S. adopted barrel bands after Normandy for vehicle identification, as Sherman crews had started piling on sandbags to defeat shaped-charged anti-tank rounds, which obscured hull/turret markings.
>>
File: New CC Resistors.jpg (147 KB, 1974x999) Image search: [Google]
New CC Resistors.jpg
147 KB, 1974x999
>>29208022
Those are not cannons, OP. Those are resistors.
>>
>>29208022
>>29208950
Those aren't resistors, white white silver silver is a shitty zero-ohm link.
>>
>>29208950
Resistors for secret government DEATH RAY TANKS.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 960x949) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 960x949
>>29208176
>not enough barrel length for listing soviet kills
>>
Damn Uncle Samuel, Back at it again with the white bands!
>>
>>29209019
>zero ohm
>zero resistance
SUPERCONDUCTOR LASER TANKS
>>
OP ignore these fags. Those are water jackets to cook the barrel, allowing faster/longer rates of fire. You can see the bolts on the sleeves. They use these water jackets in the summer months of Russia. The winter is cold enough that they don't need them.
>>
>>29209593
*cool the barrel
>>
>>29209593
They aren't called water jackets, they're thermal sleeves. and those aren't what OP is asking about.

He's asking what, if any significance is there for the white rings on the bore evacuators

>>29208022
2 possibilities OP
1. they are the same as classic barrel marks, ie kill markers. Those these tanks are probably doing combat simulation training so "Pretend kills"
2. Again based on a training idea, it could be IR-reflective paint so observers in low light can better judge which way the turret is facing. useful for crew evaluations, but doubtful here due to the differing ring numbers
>>
>>29208071
Like this fella says, they denote the tank's call sign

Bands on the fume extractor are for the troop and the ones on the muzzle are the individual tank.

I can't see the Squadron markings on the tanks in row showing the barrels but the circle on the front row of tanks shows they're from C Squadron.

So if we imagine the front tank is also from C squadron, its call sign would be C40
>>
>>29209679
Correcting myself after googling, the ones on the bore evacuator are troop indicators 1 to 4, barrel tip is marking squadron A,B or C with unmarked being HQ
>>
A S T H E T I C S
>>
File: 20150926_125851.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150926_125851.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Invasion stripes
>>
File: DSCF7103.jpg (429 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7103.jpg
429 KB, 1024x1536
>>29209724
Correct.

You can see here that B11 and B12 is stencilled on the back of the turret and that they have 1 ring on the fume extractor and 1 or two rings on the muzzle.

Apex (Triangle) = A Squadron
Box (Rectangle) = B Squadron
Circle = C Squadron
Diamond = HQ Squadron
>>
File: image.jpg (173 KB, 600x318) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173 KB, 600x318
It's called dazzle camo. It makes it difficult for enemy armor to tell speed and direction. Ships in the Great War used it
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.