[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not another one of these threads.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: ak-47-vs-ar-15-1_o.jpg (318 KB, 900x561) Image search: [Google]
ak-47-vs-ar-15-1_o.jpg
318 KB, 900x561
And here it is. The ol' AK or AR thread.

I've rekindled my interest in firearms as of late. I'm looking to buy an auto rifle. Problem is, I am far from wealthy. I want a rifle that is reliable, easy to maintain, and MUST be under 800 USD. It will be used for fun, but main idea is a SHTF situation. I am no mega gun enthusiast, nor do I think that I will be some uber commando or even live that long in a SHTF situation. However, I do want a fighting chance to protect my family. I want something I can grab, abuse, and go boom when I pull the trigger.

I keep coming back to the AK due to it's simplicity and proven track record.

I've narrowed it down to the Century Arms C39V2 (I know Century isn't usually that great, but this rifle has got tons of positive feedback with a milled receiver). The ARs I'm looking at are S&W MP Sport II or Windham Dissapator.

I do not plan on doing any tacticool shit, I would rather put that money towards ammo. I'm fine with gorilla taping my streamlight flashlight to it as apposed to spending 200 bucks on picatinny and a light if necessity told me I needed a light.
>>
>>29207986
bump
>>
>>29207986
AK: WASR. Preferably one of the new ones, not the 10/63s. You might be able to find a used arsenal though.

AR: PSA lower, ALG QMS trigger, BCM or PSA Upper.
>>
>>29208139
This.
>>
>>29207986
Don't bother with the C39V2 or the RAS-47. Get a WASR, DDI built rifle, N-PAP, or an AK pistol (Draco or M92) and get a brace.
>>
AR > AK
>>
>>29208241
"No"
>>
>>29207986
Get both.
>>
>>29208245
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAneTFiz5WU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfGq1yk66Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrPjlcJ3rtY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX73uXs3xGU

Yes
>>
>>29208250
I'm just so strapped for cash. I do plan on getting an AR maybe eventually, but want one now while laws are lax incase I can't get an 2nd one later.
>>
>>29208273
see
>>29208250

also AK's require some machinery to maintain and change barrels, while an AR just needs basic hand tools and at most, a vice.

Lurk in the AR or AK threads a bit, building an AR piece by piece can be cheap as fuck, all you need to do is buy a lower from somewhere then you can have the rest of the parts mailed to you. if you roll with the sales and discounts, you could end up paying 800 for a rifle worth 2k
>>
File: taurus555.jpg (10 KB, 265x190) Image search: [Google]
taurus555.jpg
10 KB, 265x190
they're both good depending on the manufacturer and specific model but imo the ak is prettier
>>
File: Romanov's AR 15 lowers.png (1 MB, 3500x3800) Image search: [Google]
Romanov's AR 15 lowers.png
1 MB, 3500x3800
>>29208356
i fucked up
>>29208273
see >>29208264
>>
>>29208250
Only real answer
>>
>>29208385
Thanks anon. The place I go to has an Anderson Manufacturing stripped lower on sale for 44 bucks. Is a lower is a lower is a lower? Or should I shop around?
>>
>>29207986
It depends heavily on your budget what will satisfy you. I make an alright living and can afford a 2-3k gun every year if I so choose, so I went and bought an Arsenal AK as my first semi-auto because hey, why not? I now regret it because I could have spent a little more and got a sweet AR, but now I'll have to wait a few months to replenish the gun budget.

The poorfag choice: AK
+Cheap ammo (more shooty shooty)
+Base gun is typically cheaper for a "good" model (you can find $500 ARs but they're generally utter dogshit...generally, anyway)
+Simple, very hard to break
-Accessory choice is meh, adding accessories sometimes requires you to permanently alter the gun
-Not ergonomic at all by default. Expect to want to change the stock immediately
-Little bit less accurate. Mine holds passable groups at 100 yards (around 3-4" per 5 shots off a rest) but that's obviously not as good as you could get with a really gucci AR
-Some of the cheapest ammo you run across is corrosive, which is a pain in the ass to clean (inb4 some tryhard faggot chimes in about how it's not, stfu nerd, not everyone is a gun cleaning autist and most people think it's a chore so they'd like to minimize it if possible)

The richfag choice: AR
+More options on pretty much everything
+Very common, you can find shit to slap on your gun at every gun shop you go to
+Easier to swap out many parts
-It's easy to get sucked into a rabbit hole tricking out your gun for no reason
-You look like a faggot shooting a $3000 gun that is basically the same thing as some cheap shit the other assholes at the range bought at Walmart
-Ammo is ever-so-slightly more expensive if you roll with steel cased, a good deal more expensive if you use brass
>>
>>29208356
I wonder, what other popular calibres do ARs come in? 6.8 and .458 seem to be pretty good rounds, but I can't imagine they're easy to come by.
>>
Do those Magpul Zhukov stocks offer a larger recoil pad than your typical AK? The usual AK stock feels like it was made for a five foot woman.
>>
>>29208471
AKs aren't really a poorfag choice anymore and ARs aren't really just for people with money.
>>
>>29208512
Don't get magpul AK stocks, get a tube adapter.
>>
>>29208512
They do but the hinge is kind of shitty and fragile

Just buy a NATO length stock
>>
>>29208471
Thanks anon. Yeah, I think that AK is the way to go for me due to the cash. I just want a semi auto rifle that is dependable. I still want to get a shotgun yet and trade in my pistol for a better one too.

I also am old school and love the wood furniture of an AK. Like I said, I'm not looking to get into accessories beyond a sling and maybe a red dot eventually.
>>
>>29208484
.300 blackout
>>
>>29208471
You can't find an AK for $500 anymore that isn't a piece of shit. You have to pay $600 minimum, and at that price range you might as well buy a decent AR.

7.62x39 is a shittier round than 5.56x45 and worse for home defense.

AKs are not comfortable rifles to shoot by any definition. A basic bitch AR is miles better than a $650 WASR.
>>
>>29208595
>You have to pay $600 minimum
You can still get WASRs for $500

>and at that price range you might as well buy a decent AR.

>$600 AR
>decent

More like "meh" tier
>>
>>29208595
>7.62x39 is a shittier round than 5.56x45 and worse for home defense.
By what measure, exactly?
>>
>>29208717
Every measure that matters except for price

Most importantly, 7.62x39 has a tendency to overpenetrate
>>
>>29208750
None of those things make any difference within the distance of the inside of a building. And if you're stupid enough to actually believe that any rifle round isn't going to penetrate two pieces of drywall or that a round is good for home defense even though it doesn't pass the 12 inch test, you deserve your future lawsuit/cultural enrichment
>>
File: ohgodcantbreathe.jpg (878 KB, 1920x1399) Image search: [Google]
ohgodcantbreathe.jpg
878 KB, 1920x1399
>>29208434
some of the older anderson lowers have something weird with the grip screw, IIRC like its a tiny bit the wrong angle or something. it will work with stuff but it might require a little filing
generally yeah a lower is a lower, but keep an eye out for ambi ones
>>29208484
literally any bullet with an OAL shorter than 2.26"(maybe 2.6). 6.5 grendel is awesome all around, 6.5 mpc needs more popularity russian stuff, fucking anything
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 593x539) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 593x539
>>29208264
Frankly, the best answer
>>
>>29208471
ignore this fuck, he has sour grapes from buying too much tacticool ar15 shite and bought an AK when they were cheap
$800 can get you a damn fine AR if you pick parts yourself
>>
>>29208979
The Anderson's have a 3/4 inch grip screw in stead of a 1 inch. They may have fixed it since then.
>>
File: 1455933230991.jpg (336 KB, 498x693) Image search: [Google]
1455933230991.jpg
336 KB, 498x693
>>29207986
AK if you want something reliable
AR10 if you want something accurate
>>
>>29209016
To be fair it didn't used to be this way. Good AKs used to be cheap not even a few years ago. Nowadays you can go to PSA on any major holiday and get a mid quality AR for 600 dollars (some assembly required) and that's with magazines, while you'd be hard pressed to find a mid quality AK for that much.

And ammo cost is basically the same now too. especially if you get cheap steel cased shit.
>>
>>29209066
AK's are plenty accurate and AR's are plenty reliable. Stop memeing you mentally ill faggot.
>>
>>29208139
Can you elaborate? I was thinking of getting a Romanian MD-63 from a friend but not if it sux
>>
The market has made the AR inherently better.
>>
AR if you want something good
AK if you want something "good"

Don't get me wrong, the AK is prolific for a reason but generally speaking that reason is because it's cheap... I like AKs but give me a choice between the two and it's AR in any situation

If you don't already own an AR I would absolutely go that route

Unless you're mechanically declined you should build an AR... you'll end up with a better bang for your $$ and learn a bit about how the whole thing works
>>
File: 1349562057023.jpg (373 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1349562057023.jpg
373 KB, 1024x768
>>29207986
get the AK.
You can beat it around, not clean it for months, and feed it anything, and it will most probably still work just fine the next day. And if something "breaks" in an AK, you can probably fix it with a hammer, duct-tape and vodka.
>>
>>29209708
>And if something "breaks" in an AK, you can probably fix it with a hammer, duct-tape and vodka.

made me kek
>>
The 7.62x39 round is more devastating on target and through barriers than 5.56. If you are reall worried about blowing holes in your neighbors house, buy SST rounds for hd.
>>
>>29207986
>I've narrowed it down to the Century Arms C39V2 (I know Century isn't usually that great, but this rifle has got tons of positive feedback with a milled receiver).

Don't do it. Milled receivers are a meme and Century's manufacturing is shit.

>Heavier
>Not appreciably stronger than a properly-made stamped AK.
>>
>>29208471
Cheap ammo is corosive?
What the utter fuck are you talking about. Maybe 2 years ago for a 74 but for an akm corrosive ammo =hella old stock probably ap .
You can get tula/wolf/gt....ect. for cheaper than anything imported old corrosive ammo.
.21 to .23 a round for 7.62x39 is Internet pricing on bulk before shipping.
>>
File: 1235.jpg (100 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1235.jpg
100 KB, 720x540
>>29207986
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.