[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Defining Features
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 205x144) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 205x144
Let's talk defining features of certain weapon groups.

For example,

What defines a assault rifle?

What defines a submachine gun?

What defines a pistol?

I am mostly curious about assault weapons. What defines "assault" weapons?

I personally believe any weapon that can engage multiple targets before needing to reload and has the option of firing full auto is a assault weapon. Actually... Maybe full auto anything could be considered assault weapon?
>>
>>29207889
I'm calling it now:
In 40 or so posts anons will be arguing over semantics/definition of a certain type of gun/the difference between SMGs and ARs
>>
>>29207889
Lrn2google
But really I think the word assault rifle means any portable, high capacity, light weight, and large caliber rifle
>>
"Assault Rifle" is such a meaningless term that liberals have bogged down with so much baggage.

A rifle, in my opinion, is just a weapon with a certain barrel length too unwieldy for usage with one hand (A pistol).

A sub-machine gun/ carbine are weapons too unwieldy for one hand but do not have a barrel length long enough to be considered a rifle.
>>
The assault rifle is a weapon designed to be carried by the overwhelming majority of infantry as a primary, possible single arm that fires an "intermediate" cartridge that makes it both a light rifle and a very light automatic support weapon if necessary.

Because of this dual nature the ability to change between semi and full automatic is key- which means that other weapons which fire "assault rifle" calibers like many types of carbine are not ARs.

The assault rifle is also designed from the ground up to be a military weapon, so repurposed arms likely don't qualify.
>>
>>29207889
An assault rifle is a select fire weapon firing an intermediate cartridge.

A submachinegun is an automatic or select fire weapon firing a pistol round.

An assault weapon is a semi-automatic gun that can't be called an assault rifle because it fails the select fire requirement, but looks scurry so they put the "assault" in there anyways and hope nobody notices the difference in the second word.
>>
File: tyranical govt.png (1 MB, 1070x1428) Image search: [Google]
tyranical govt.png
1 MB, 1070x1428
>>29207889

Per Wikipedia: An assault rifle is a fully automatic selective-fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.

Again per Wikipedia: A submachine gun (SMG) is an air-cooled, magazine-fed, automatic carbine designed to fire pistol cartridges.

Pistol usually refers to a magazine fed semiautomatic handgun (as opposed to a revolver), but can be used interchangeably with "handgun".

Assault weapon is a media/political term made up by the media/politicians to scare the sheep into taking away your 2nd Amendment rights and usually refers to a firearm that cosmetically resembles another firearm that is issued to a military or police force. The legal definition of an assault weapon varies from state to state.
>>
>>29208108
Appendum: Only the first two are real definitions used to classify firearms. Assault weapon is just a "common use" term.

If you're talking about an AR-15 or semi-auto AK variant, you are talking about a semi-automatic rifle. "Sporting rifle" is another term often used, but that's just a commercial thing to counteract the "assault weapon" stigma.

If you want to be correct and not a faggot, call it a semiautomatic rifle.
>>
>>29207889
Assault Rifle. A select fire rifle capable of taking box magazines of varying capacity chambered in an intermediate rifle round.

Submachine gun. A select fire rifle chambered in a pistol.cartridge. If that same rifle is semiautomatic instead of select fire, it is a carbine.

Pistol. A handgun having a chamber integral to its barrel. Select fire pistols are machine pistols. Note that revolver handguns were also considered pistols until the 1934 NFA defined them as separate categories.

Assault Weapons. Literally whatever politicians want it to be, but generally confined to semiautomatic versions of military style firearms. Usually includes a list of defining features, including, but not limited too, folding stock/collapsible stock, pistol grip, detachable magazine, bayonet lug, threaded barrel, flash hinder or muzzle brake. Pistols having a magazine well forward of the trigger or weighing over four pounds are included in some states assault weapons definitions. Magnum limits of ten rounds or less are a given in ban states.
>>
>>29208191
Magazine limits of ten rounds or less. My phone likes the word Magnum. And Yuri, for some reason.
>>
>>29208009
>large calibre
>assault rifle
Yea no try intermediate calibre
>>
So an assault rifle can have a traditional stock and no pistol grip?
>>
>>29208269
Ok
>>
>>29208275
An assault rifle can have whatever, but in order to be an assault rifle it MUST be select fire, which means it can be fired fully automatic. If it can only fire semi-automatic, it is NOT an assault rifle.
>>
>>29208009
>Says learn to google
>Does not google

An assault rifle needs select fire and typically is defined as having an intermediate cartridge. Larger or "full sized" cartridge rifles are typically seen as "battle rifles," but there's a lot of grey in between. Capacity has nothing to do with it, though usually a belt fed gun of intermediate caliber would be considered a light machine gun.
>>
>>29207889
>What defines a assault rifle?
automatic fire in a full-length rifle, uses a medium-sized round, is intended for assaulting things
>What defines a submachine gun?
automatic fire, smaller than a full rifle, uses a pistol round. that's also why rifle-caliber super short guns that you'd normally think "SMG" are actually called "Personal Defense Weapons" instead
>What defines a pistol?
the grip and length. oddly, a rifle-grip super short gun firing a "pistol round" probably wouldn't be called a pistol anymore, but a handcannon
>I am mostly curious about assault weapons. What defines "assault" weapons?
whatever the fuck the law says because that's not a real designation but it usually refers to tactical features designed to make it more ergonomic acquire and shoot targets (the use of foregrips, ajustable stocks, holographic sights, etc)

>>29208328
also this, i believe what would be an assault rifle without automatic fire becomes a battle rifle

but really, all these words are meaningless and the only ones you should really care about are the ones in any operating manuals relevant to you or things you may use in the near future
>>
i've always been under the general impression that

>What defines a assault rifle?
shoulder fired weapon that can shoot more then one intermediate or full power cartridge with the one pull of the trigger.

>What defines a submachine gun?
can shoot more then one pistol round with one pull of the trigger. how is this different from a PDW? IDK, a p90 seems like a sub machine gun to me

>What defines a pistol?
short barreled firearm fired from the hand that shoots one round per trigger pull and has a rifled barrel.
>>
>>29208191
Carbine doesn't have to do with select fire. It's barrel length. An assault rifle with a 16" barrel is a carbine.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.