[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to sharpen a /k/a-bar? I've tried
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9
What's the best way to sharpen a /k/a-bar?
I've tried with all kinds of stones but I cannot get it razor sharp.
>>
The bottom edge of a mug works perfectly fine for me OP
>>
>>29207870
You're probably not doing it right then.

If you really want to pussy out get an angle guide.
>>
Take it to a sharpener.
>>
>>29207870

Spyderco Sharpmaker for fags that can't into sharpening
>>
with a stone. color the edge with a sharpie, then check your strokes. ensure that the angle you are maintaining is taking off the black marker evenly and completely. do this on each side. once you establish an appropriate angle, then continue until your blade is as sharp as you want it.
>>
90% of the time the answer is more time on the coarse, less time on the fine.
>>
Kinda hard to get razor sharp with a KA-BAR

The steel is quite strong, and it's made more for heavy cutting or stabbing over fine slicing.

You should be able to do the usual "paper test" with it though. Just not shaving.
>>
I've been using these, but obviously I haven't had any luck with them.
>>
>>29208019
>
oh. oh. oh no. you'll have better luck with a brick.
>>
File: IMG_2330.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2330.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>29208019
Obviously... those things are useless and just wrecked the remainder of your salvageable edge. You just took a knife that could have been honed into being relatively ok, and turned it into a shit show that needs serious repair if you used the coarse setting, ever.
If you are going to use ceramic, at least do it right, use a rod or something else you have control with.
>>
>>29208076

Pretty easy to make a new edge with a stone, though.

Stones are really all you need.

Then some hard leather to finish it off.
>>
>>29208100
>Pretty easy to make a new edge with a stone, though.
I prefer to just maintain an edge than remake it because I screwed it up terribly.
IMO, stones are too much work for how much I use my knives.
I like my 1200 grit rod for the work knife(pictured), the 2200 grit(removes almost 0 material) for the home cooking knives etc since it's more of a honing rod with slight sharpening abilities. I get the home knives in shape literally every time before I use them. I usually don't strop though unless I have guests and want to get closer to perfection.
I love taking my rods to other relative/friend's houses too and getting their butter knives turned back into real knives. It's just amazing how many people don't have any clue till you do it for them.
>>
>>29208019
you said stones stupid those are pull throughs
they wreck knives
>>
>>29208158
By stones I meant these as well.
>>
>>29208186
use those, throw away the other ones
>>
>>29208207
But these didn't help me either. It's still dull.
>>
>>29208258
That's your fault, not the stones'.
>>
>>29208258
Time to buy another knife op
>>
>>29208272

No

You can make new edges from a flat and dull blade.

>>29208186

Buy a large stone from your hardware, and push with force on either side at about 20 degrees on the hard side of the stone, until you have edges.

Then do the same but not as hard on the soft side. "Shave off the top" of the stone lightly.

Then do the same on leather, but go backwards.
>>
File: DSCF0510.jpg (626 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0510.jpg
626 KB, 1600x1200
I bought one of these. Best 20$ I ever spent.
>>
>>29208659
>how to absolutely wreck your blade geometry in three sharpens
>>
>>29207996
At least somebody has a clue.
>>
>>29208685
This particular slab of metal can't be sharpened as much as this other particular slab of metal!
No, retard.
>>
>>29208659
those are usually more like 140, nice
>>
>>29208674
are you stupid? you sound stupid.
>>
>>29208786
Nah, I'm not the one using a belt sander on my knives.
>>
>>29208019
>>29208659
What is this, a knife gore thread?
>>
>>29208695

The standard edge from the factory is fairly steep, so it's not made for razor sharp unless you put a new edge on it.

You can get it sharp, but not razor sharp.

It doesn't need to be razor sharp for its purpose.

If you want razor, buy a razor.
>>
>>29208800
>20° edge bevel
>incapable of whisking hair away
Whatever you say champ.
>>
>>29208817

I do say so.

You'll take skin off before hairs.
>>
>>29208817
This.

If you can't get a knife to pass the hair test on a medium diamond sharpener at a 20 degree angle you need to re-think your technique.
>>
>>29208859

My Esee has 20 degrees per side and takes hair off with ease.
>>
File: Glock 82.webm (1023 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Glock 82.webm
1023 KB, 1280x720
>>29208859
This is a Glock field knife.
It has an equivalent bevel.
This one is actually getting pretty dull.
>>
File: spyderco Sharpener.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
spyderco Sharpener.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>29207968
>>
>>29209739
>disclaimer: won't actually sharpen your knives for shit
Seriously the low grit stones for that are like 800.
>>
>>29208800
I've got the Glock field knife, too and I have no trouble sharpening it.
>>
File: Spyderco Endura Serrated.jpg (241 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
Spyderco Endura Serrated.jpg
241 KB, 1000x667
>>29209748
Actually it works best on the Spider edge (serrated ones). Those I can get Freaky Sharp with it.
>>
>>29209763
Point was, it's the last step in sharpening. It won't do dick for the first few steps. Does a swell job on that last step, but that's all.
>>
Lol......

I does not need to be sharp at all.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwyCs4gFgI
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.