[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so, im looking to get my dad a cc since he finally decided to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: pix950607021.jpg (108 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pix950607021.jpg
108 KB, 640x480
so, im looking to get my dad a cc since he finally decided to get his license. he keeps telling me the range officer said a .380 acp is the best cc caliber. but i know damn well it isnt. i was thinking a nice colt python snub with a shoulder holster (pic related its the one i want to get him)
what do you guys think?
>>
>>29206513
I think you should listen to your range master instead of pretending you're in gumshoe noir land.
>>
>>29206528
we're talking about stopping power and 380 has been proven to be one of the worst for stopping power.
>>
op here
here is the link to the gun
so, im looking to get my dad a cc since he finally decided to get his license. he keeps telling me the range officer said a .380 acp is the best cc caliber. but i know damn well it isnt. i was thinking a nice colt python snub with a shoulder holster (pic related its the one i want to get him)
what do you guys think?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=545469870
>>
A 380 actually is a great choice for CC. Anymore though you can get a 9 in the size of many pocket pistols so id probably get one of those instead. A shoulder harness is great for heavier and larger guns but they are harder to conceal and if you live in a hot area requires you to wear another layer of clothes.

And while revolvers are nice capacity trumps power. Not to mention in a stressful situation keeping your hands out of the gap that expels superhot pressurized gas can be an issue.

The whole 380 is a bad choice isnt true though. Its just the bare minimum i would recommend.
>>
>>29206569
he works in an office which is why i think it would be a good one for him.he is always in a suit and tie which would make it easier for him to conceal. and at the worst, he could keep it in his desk.
>>
.380s are fine, they rarely overpen, and plenty of people trust their life to them.

I have a 9, but I'll be switching to .380 next chance I get, even this sub compact is oversized and uncomfortable to carry unless I buy a whole new wardrobe or dress like a fudd.

Get the most comfy, highest capacity .380 you can find/afford.
>>
>>29206547
>stopping power
Out of a CCW length barrel there isn't going to be a ton of difference in what the person you'd be shooting feels.
>Unless you're using a .22
>>
>>29206611
The whole stopping power is full fuddlore anyway. Shot placement is king and will always be king.
>>
>>29206640
In the vane of providing actual data, here's a study.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power
>>
one more question, 11.5k isnt a problem but would the gun be worth the cost? my dad is a collector but he collects antique rifles and shotguns so i feel this would be a good addition to his collection.
>>
Have you tried asking your dad what he wants? You know, because he's the one who will be carrying it and using it and maintaining it and shooting it and whatnot?

Let's say you're objectively right about the gun and caliber. His preference will still trump your feelings in the issue.

When I got my CC, my dad gave me a gun from his (fairly modest) collection: a fucking Beretta 92fs. Don't get me wrong, I love shooting it and it's my favorite centerfire semiauto handgun, but he lives in Montana. I live in coastal South Carolina. Not exactly a "concealment jacket" climate down here. Loved the gesture, but I know he never touches his Bersa, which I ended up buying for my own CC.
>>
>>29206681
here
>>29206674
>>
>>29206681
92 fs is a very fun range gun but i agree unless you plan on open carrying that shit, its near fucking impossible to conceal.
>>
Well, it IS the best caliber. For concealing.
Revolvers are bulky.
>>
>>29206705
There were literally only 8 days this winter that were cold enough for me to wear a jacket capable of hiding it, and I still felt like I was wearing a sign around my neck that said "look at this asshole carrying a Beretta around"so I only wore it out once. I like to keep it in my glovebox on road trips, though.

>>29206690
If you ever end up using your CC, even in the most legit circumstance, the police still confiscate it. Now imagine you harvest a malcontented dindu with a Colt Python, which I would argue could be an heirloom worthy piece. And suddenly out gets swallowed up by the black hole that is the American justice system.

Or he pops ten rounds from a cheap polymer pistol half the Python's weight and doesn't fret never seeing it again.

Not trying to jump you, just food for thought.
>>
>>29206640
Meh. Penetration is king imo. Meaning placement is queen and caliber is about as relevant as the 6 of diamonds.
>doesnt matter if placement is perfect if it doesnt go deep enough
>doesnt matter if it goes exactly 14" if you shoot him in the foot.
>>
>>29206663

Thats a great article. Gotta bookmark that one.
>>
>>29206794
ok. thanks for the insight.
im still getting it im just going to give it to him as an addition to his collection.
>>
>>29206800
Six of diamonds is a good card to have late into a tense game of bridge.
>>
>>29206822

If he doesn't love it, disown him and change your last name.
>>
>>29206800

A valid argument but all of the common defense rounds available today have plenty of penetration. Hell most have way too much penetration. The only real outliers are the small 32 25 and 22. The 380 barely meets most penetration requirements but it meets them.

So really unless your trying to defend yourself with a 22 short or something penetration is moot.
>>
>>29206836
haha
if he doesnt love it, im keeping it!
>>
>>29206800
This whole thing about penetration is a lot of theoretical nonsense. Human chest cavity isn't a block of balistic jell, and bones break under about 300-350 FtLbs of pressure.

Let me put it this way, the chest cavity is mostly lungs, stomach, and heart, all hillow organs, with the heart being the only one with fluids always in it, they tear like tissue paper under any bullet, and any overpen ~8 inches of not ballistic gel, is a waste of gun and a safety risk.
>>
>>29206513
-Pythons are collectible guns and cost too much as a result
-Most .357 revolvers are big and heavy, including Pythons
-Shoulder holsters aren't practical for most people

OP is kid who's read too many Mike Hammer novels. His dad will be flattered but also embarrassed if his autistic son gives him a vintage revolver and expects him to CC the fucking thing.

#1 rule of gunfighting: bring a gun. A big wheelgun in an uncomfortable holster will get left at home. A lightweight gun you can carry IWB or in a pocket will be with you.

.380 is a good CC caliber if you need a small gun. If you can comfortably carry IWB there are a lot of compact 9mm or even .38spc options.

Keep in mind at defense ranges the .380 is quite lethal. The .32 was the standard police cartridge in Europe before ww2.
>>
>>29207029
This.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 250x373) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 250x373
>>29206560
>11,500 dollars for a Pynthon in Cuckland.
>>
>>29206513
Relax. Im italian. Ny dad was a m i b made soldier and only got in 2 gun fights in his life. All with a .38spl. These ld roundsw erent what they are no. People overthink it in the gun world.
>>
>>29206547
Modern loads at 2-3 inch barrels are pretty similar to 9mm. Unless you move to a 5incher. This s what youtube always fail to account when doing their shoty science reviews. Relax nigger. Theres more to this than pow pow. The mental state of the person, will you have a lawyer ready, do you know what to do after gun is discharged. Focus in these instead.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.