[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm a bit nervous that there might be a potential awb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: whichone.png (2 MB, 1063x775) Image search: [Google]
whichone.png
2 MB, 1063x775
So I'm a bit nervous that there might be a potential awb in the very near future . Right now I have enough money to get 1 of either an ak 47 or a ar15. I cant decide in either of them since they both have there pros and cons. can any of you offer any insight?
>can only afford 1 at the moment so no spare parts for me, so reliability is a bit important
>cheap ammo would be a plus
>something I can have fun,hunt and self defense.
>>
>>29202263
How much do you have exactly?
>>
>>29202263
they are both equally scary and should be banned equally
>>
>>29202263
Build an AR. It's probably the cheapest way to go and if shit ever goes down 5.56 will be the caliber most will be shooting do to its prevalence in NATO.
>>
>>29202263
terrorists use the bottom one because I saw it on my sons videobox and the top one is what all sandy hook shooters use please dont by either of them
>>
>>29202263
I'd recommend the AR. It's common as mud these days, and so are parts -- and that's a good thing.

Get a stripped lower for the future. They're el cheapo right now. Or hell, get three plus a lower parts kit and a couple mags -- then buy an upper and stock when you can afford it.
>>
Ar15s are currently cheaper rifles, at least for equivalent qualities. Practice ammunition is slightly more expensive verus 7.62x39 aks, but on par with 5.45 aks

Aks are the more likely of the two to be facing bans due to import bullshit. Russian aks for example, banned.

I think your dollar goes further with ar15s. They're also lighter (if you don't stick bullshit on them) more modular, more ergonomic, and buis and optics are easier.

I don't think there's a ban coming. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd recommend you rent both or find friends with both, try both, and go from there. If you pick ak, I recommend 7.62 over 5.45 as I enjoyed shooting the 7.62 more (nice kick, not as loud, more of an effect on cans and reactive targets)
>>
File: 1456863301313.jpg (48 KB, 469x505) Image search: [Google]
1456863301313.jpg
48 KB, 469x505
>>29202279
$1000-1500 tops
>>29202288
Hillary go away
>>29202293
well it is "standard" round.
>>29202310
Im going to keep it bare bone. perhaps a sight at most nothing fancy
>>
>>29202263
Listen carefully.

Build an AR-15 first. If you build one you can make a pretty nice one for sub 1,000, easy. If you don't want to build one, you can get a Spike's Tactical AR-15 for like 900 bucks. They're pretty decent rifles, I have one and I like it a lot.

After the AR-15, go buy a receiver for an AK. They can be had for 100 bucks. This is the "firearm" part of the gun, so you can avoid fears about a 'salt gun ban since you will own "the gun" prior to that date.

At this point, you should have spent like 1,000-1,100 on a complete AR-15 and the AK receiver. You should then also buy a decent AKM parts kit for 300-400 bucks.

At this point, you've hit the upper limit of 1,500. You will have a complete AR-15, and all of the parts you need to assemble a functioning AKM. If you don't want to assemble one yourself, you can probably find a local gunsmith to do the work for you for like 200 bucks. But that can wait until you've managed to put the money together at a later date.

If you work and manage to put aside a decent amount of money, it shouldn't take more than a couple months of saving side money to be able to afford to have someone assemble your AKM for you.

So in the end, you can get both your AR-15 and AKM for a pretty reasonable price of between 1,500-1,700.
>>
File: 1457324670052.png (17 KB, 633x772) Image search: [Google]
1457324670052.png
17 KB, 633x772
>>29202485
that sound ideal. I was going to build it since I prefer moding to my own needs. which factories would you recommend for parts? Im aware magpul makes some good stuff.
>>
>>29202485
>, go buy a receiver for an AK. They can be had for 100 bucks. This is the "firearm" part of the gun, so you can avoid fears about a 'salt gun ban since you will own "the gun" prior to that date.
this is fucking stupid
if you said ar it would be fine but if its an ak you need to secure a parts kit first cause supplies are limited and and are getting more expensive by the year
>>
>>29202263
Check your state's laws on minimum caliber for hunting.
>>
Well the thing is ARs\m16 models and variations are more accurate light weight and preform better overall, so better for like sporting events competitions extra, but they jam if anything at all gets in the receiver and require a lot of maintenance. But the AK and its variations are very reliable robust and solid but as said aren't as accurate nor preform as good as ARs. So that's why you see gorilla Warriors or other forces fighting in jungle or dirty areas use AK models and police and military forces in city like areas use AR. Same with Vietnam the m16 models would jam constantly as the AK47 models wouldn't you could literally shove mud into it and it Woulr still fire.

So it depends on basically, where you'll be using it.
AR=city clean environment.
AK= rough dirty environment.
>>
>>29202957
There really isn't any end to the parts kits..
What's driving the prices up is panic buying.
Elections suck.
>>
ar15 because you can swap uppers and upgrade later to a quality BCM upper.

aks you are stuck with a riveted piece of trash that you cant upgrade as easily.
>>
>>29202263
I can't understand why would anyone want an AK-47 when there are much better variants.
>>
i'm new here, ill admit it,

what's an AWB? assult weapons ban?
>>
>>29202263
American, AR15.
Europoor/gook/slavboo etc, AK47.

I prefer the AR because it's not a 3rd world piece of shit, and can be effective past 200 meters.
>>
>>29202485
>build an AR-15 first
Why do people keep saying this? Tell the OP to WATCH people make ARs first, before telling them that.

I literally thought about building ARs UNTIL I saw people build ARs and how I needed to get vises, blocks, wrenches, specialized tools, non-metal hammers, etc. And how if I fuck up torquing the barrel to the upper receiver, I might completely wreck it. Or how if I fuck up screwing the buffer tube or any screws into where they stick to, I might wreck it completely.

People should almost always fucking tell people this fucking disclaimer they never tell others on /k/.
>>
>>29202263
For me, probably the AR15. While AKs are fun, you can upgrade ARs later if you get better parts.
>>
>>29202307
Why get a stripped lower? What's the point of getting a stripped lower?
>>
OP this thread has been a shitstorm

If you're only going to have ONE rifle, buy, do not build it. For myriad reasons. Mainly because it's built correctly using correct tools and specs. It will also come with some form of support.

If you want to cheap out (dont, your life may depend on this gun some day) build an AR lower and buy a complete upper from one of these: PSA CHF, spikes tactical, BCM, Daniel defense.

With a budget to do this only once (which means doing it right the first time) I would look hard at a Spikes midlength model or a BCM midlength in the AR world, or an Arsenal slr-107/slr-104 or a sporterized mak90 (deban with trigger group, buttstock and pistol grip at your liesure, easy day)

Cont.
>>
I bought a cheap AK. An M70 Npap. I figure if an assault weapons ban ever does go through, the evil, bad guy, scary AK will be banned first.
>>
>>29204052
ARs are cheaper and easier to work on. Easier to headspace if you have to swap out bolts/barrels etc. The mags are more expensive/more finicky for the money. The ammo is roughly %30 more per round over 7.62. Mags and ammo are more readily available than AK stuff stateside.

Cont.
>>
>>29204074
AKs that are built right are on par with ARs as far as price point. However, you get a more durable, resilient and honestly generally as accurate as an off the rack milspec carbine.

The mags are tanks, cheap (~$8 on sale for steel surplus) and replacement parts are plentiful and cheap enough to stock up on. It is not nearly as hard to accesorize as the rumors say it is.

Stay away from under folders, wire folders and folders in general unless you have a sincere storage issue and the stock you pick looks like a fixed stock.
>>
>>29204086
Either way, you want a good two or one point sling, a light and an aimpoint eventually.

Taking a carbine class will be the best investment you can make.
>>
File: 1456683058610.jpg (22 KB, 600x378) Image search: [Google]
1456683058610.jpg
22 KB, 600x378
>>29204030
Buy a complete upper, dipshit, or a kit with a complete upper.
It's not rocket surgery, son. It's advanced Legos.

All parts are cheap and easily available, so you can't actually ruin the rifle, even if you're a big enough turd to strip out/cross thread in aluminum.

I put mine together with a Leatherman, finish hammer, thin piece of cardboard, an armorer's wrench, a credit card, and some common fucking sense.

Git gud. Tarpman died for your shit.
>>
>>29202352
For that, buy a box of aks and enough liquor to bribe people into using them for you.
>>
>>29204030
what >>29204092 said just buy a complete upper, and putting everything into the lower receiver is not that fucking hard either unless you're just retarded
>>
>>29202352
For that money you could get a good ak and buy a stripped ar lower. Then you could buy parts for an ar build at your leisure.
>>
>>29202263
>poor
>poor
>i want it to do everything for nothing
>buying into scare tactics

You are literally why weapon bans happen. So many dickfucks like you live your lives like it's already happened and make it easy for it to actually become a reality.
>>
>>29204045
Basically they're for people who buy a basic AR and then proceed to replace everything from the trigger to the furniture. It's much simpler and cheaper to buy the minimum and build the rifle from there.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.