[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im debating getting body armor but the ar500 shit is waaaay too
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: spartan.jpg (108 KB, 400x355) Image search: [Google]
spartan.jpg
108 KB, 400x355
Im debating getting body armor but the ar500 shit is waaaay too heavy. I have researched and found spartan body armor. Level 3 and 4 is relatively lightweight, even with front, back, and side plates.

Question is this. Is there any other armor out there thats comparable thats lighter?

I live in Alaska so Wet weather i would assume degrades soft armor faster. Looking for hard plate inserts to keep me safe from common rifle rounds and as light as possible.
>>
File: ar15.jpg (80 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
ar15.jpg
80 KB, 720x540
bump
>>
>>29202132
DKX Armor is pretty light, it's buoyant and it is drop safe

Level III plate weighs 2.9 lbs.
Level IIIA weighs 1.25 lbs
>>
Has a civilian ever been saved by an armor vest?
>>
>>29202513
Yes
>>
File: hilarious.jpg (241 KB, 388x1729) Image search: [Google]
hilarious.jpg
241 KB, 388x1729
>>29202513

Committing crimes they have :P Ever heard of the LA shootout?

I dont have those plans, i just want some before shit gets weird with the election and they possibly take it away.
>>
>>29202132

The lightweight ones are 6.5lbs for 130$ a plate. If need lighter >>29202510 best to go but they are expensive.
>>
File: 1452571927459.jpg (62 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1452571927459.jpg
62 KB, 320x240
>>29202557
>>
File: topkek.jpg (73 KB, 575x1024) Image search: [Google]
topkek.jpg
73 KB, 575x1024
>>29202597

Im not worried about price. I just want light and maneuverable.

I also would like to wear them for 3 gun competition, and range work. We have completely open NRA funded ranges with no officers up here in alaska, and i would prefer to cover my bets because retards cant follow the rules.

will look into armor plated tinfoil hats too hahah
>>
If you get a level IV plate, make sure it's standalone, and not 'in conjunction with'. The Boron carbide ones will be lighter than silicon carbide, but like 5x the cost.
>>
>>29202510
>polyethylene shit
>M855 vulnerability
>excessive behind armor trauma
>>
Im a huge faggot that wants to make an NCR trooper uniform/cosplay/gear thing. I want to make the chest thng a Kevlar vest if possible, but i dont know if I can buy all the material they put in them. I know I can get the kevlar itself, but what is all the nylon polyester Dr Scholls crap the stuff in there, and what amounts/order do they put it in?

If this turns out too complicated/impossible ill just make it an ar500 plate carrier.
>>
Europoor nogunz germany reporting in.
I could get two 10x12 NIJ Level IV Standalone plates for 440 Freedombucks. They are like 8 lbs each.
How much cheaper or more expensive is body armor in murica?
Are these lighter or more heavy then the plates you wore when you are deployed innaarmy?
>>
>>29203241
One of cheapest Level IV Standalone are:
http://www.bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-4-Stand-Alone.html
>>
Thewoundchannel did some testing on Spartan plates and they didn't stop common 5.56 rounds, I think they were ss109. The only thing that did was ar500s III+ plates. You really don't want to go above III+ for steel because yeah, they do get heavy. You'll have to settle for ceramic that'll break in 2 shots. I don't get why you'd be worried about anything bigger than a .308 AP though...
>>
>>29204363
Ceramic breaks in two shots? Sorry I can't post those pics (cuz phone) where russian 5a plate took twenty 5.45 hits (half were ap) without penetration.
>>
> tfw no cheap AR500 outside of the US
kill me pete
>>
>>29204385
Oh wait, I can.
vk dot cum/wall-10682613_13880
>>
>>29202132
I'd check out Hoplite Armor. They make some pretty cool stuff.
>>
>>29204413
That plate is ruined and needs to be replaced. The concept of ceramic is good for soldiers, but steel is good for preppers as you don't have a supply line to replace your shit if it becomes unusable.
>>
>>29204446
It's for prepers too because of weight. And if you are getting shot at so much that you need to replace plates you are fucked anyway.
>>
I'd suggest moving so you can live in a place where "buying body armor" isn't seen as a necessity because the taxes you pay are used to keep people safe.
>>
>>29202132
>but the ar500 shit is waaaay too heavy.
manlet detected.
>>
>>29206305

must be a guy that car camps because you dont understand the value of lightweight gear.
>>
>>29204446
If somebody took 20 shots in the plate he would very probably also took around 60 shots in other parts of the body. Not only the plate would need replacement.
>>
>>29204472
>taxes you pay are used to keep people safe.

dont be such a fucking child
>>
>>29204446
No. Stop it. Bad anon.
>>
>>29202132
>I live in Alaska
...who are you getting shot by?
>>
File: hng2.jpg (212 KB, 1819x941) Image search: [Google]
hng2.jpg
212 KB, 1819x941
>>29207837

Our range we have is open to public, with no real lanes. People sweep everyone all the time. Its very lax rules. Would rather be safe than sorry.

Also because MUH FREEDOMS
>>
>>29207453
Not that guy but we're just talking maybe a 6 pound difference that takes up the same amount of space, not a huge difference.
>>
>>29207859
Fair enough. If it's just as a wall for retards at the range AR500 won't wear you down though.
>>
>>29207905

6 lbs could be a big difference if you were wearing it for an extended amount of time. I like to keep my options open and mobility is important
>>
>>29208005
We'll it's not like you're trading out a plate carrier for a bulky iotv, 6 pounds spread fairly evenly across the torso really shouldn't be a huge deal especially considering that the weight redistributed elsewhere would be more restricting.

If anything I'd suggest getting a top of the line plate for the front and a shitty lightweight one for the back.
>>
I feel like steel plates are a good choice for someone who plans on being in a static position for SHTF.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.