[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kukri or knife? Which has more non combat utility? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: kukri.jpg (41 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
kukri.jpg
41 KB, 500x500
Kukri or knife? Which has more non combat utility? I've had knives for forever, but I've heard good things about the kukri. Would it be insane to carry both?
>>
>>29184669
it's never a bad idea to have more variety in your life.
>>
Why the fuck are you asking us? You know what you need a knife for, buy one for that.
>>
File: rtakii.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rtakii.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>29184669
Kukri good chopper because of the forward weight on the blade. You can use it to split logs if the blade is long enough, but have to hold at a bit of an awkward angle.

I use one of these for wood processing (Ontario RTAK II), sometimes wish I had a kukri for chopping
>>
>>29184669
This is the perfect time to ask this.
Imma retard when it comes to knifes so for what do they make those small holes right in front of the handle ?
>>
File: Snímka.jpg (24 KB, 396x221) Image search: [Google]
Snímka.jpg
24 KB, 396x221
>>29184728
I mean this
>>
>>29184728
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kukri
>Kukri blades usually have a notch (karda, kauda, kaudi, kaura, or cho) at the base of the blade. Various reasons are given for this, both practical and ceremonial: that it makes blood and sap drop off the blade rather than running onto the handle; that it delineates the end of the blade whilst sharpening; that it is a symbol representing a cows' foot, or Shiva. The notch may also represent the teats of a cow, a reminder that the kukri should not be used to kill a cow, an animal revered and worshiped by Hindus.
>>
>>29184728
Religious significance mostly, and some vague and unsuported legends about flicking blood into an opponents eyes. Though there are bowie knives and spanish hunting knives with similar feutures, that might be useful for stripping sinew.
>>
>>29184682
That's my thoughts m8.

>>29184685
I use a knife for a variety of reasons, but I've never used a kukri. Could it be better, could it be worse? Would it be a good idea to have both on me, should I come across something that one can do better than the other? So since I am inexperienced with that specific tool, I ask a question to those who could hopefully give me some insight into the usefulness of said tool due to their experience with it.

Jesus christ m8, it's not rocket science.

>>29184722
Good to know. I love my knife, but it doesn't do so well with wood.

>>29184728
>>29184738
I've got a knife with that cut out, and I use it when trying to tighten a string for a knot, as I can get a much tighter pull with it than I can with fingers, though I'm not sure if that's the actual reason for it, but it does help. I know they used to make swords and scimitars with that for blood reasons.
>>
>>29184754
Oh.
I tried to check wikipedia in my native language for this.
Page notexisted.
I am too dumb to check in english.
>>
>>29184722
Do you know if it works well as kind of a short machete? I would think with the forward weight that it would, and it would be much nicer not having to carry around my giant gerber when I'm out in the wild.
>>
>>29184865
Well as I understand it the point of a machete is to have a thick, heavy ass blade so you really don't have to put any effort into the swing. Lift it up, let it fall.

The reason for this design and usage method is so you can go about clearing limbs from your path for hours on end without your muscles being so destroyed.

Kukri is a great chopper, but compared to a machete you will have to put more muscle into the forward swing.

It's a trade-off. Carry weight vs swing effort
>>
>>29184865
>>29185060
That being said, I doubt a Gerber machete is anything near what a legitimate machete should be. It's probably way thinner and lighter than you would actually see being used in the jungle.

Gerber is trash, and I'd bet that a decent kukri would out-perform their machete in a machete role
>>
>>29185079
>>29185060
Yeah, it's not the greatest one I've had. Very light, and it's showing signs of dulling though I've only had it a year, and fairly light usage. It is also very taxing to use because it'll take a few chops to get through something that I think should only take one. Last time I ever buy one, honestly. Do you have a good machete recommendation?
>>
>>29185110
What do you chop
>>
>>29184669
I find the versatility of the traditional kukri is slightly greater than your average "survival" knife. Mine has served me as a hatchet, hammer, and digging implement, although I try to keep the edge out of the grit when I can.
>>
>>29185141
From my understanding and what I've heard/seen, it sounds like the kukri is kind of the jack of all trades, master-of-none-but-still-better-then-most. Sure you can use it to hack stuff like tree limbs and chop wood, but any ok hatchet or machete will outperform it in their respective tasks.
You could always just get everything.
>>
>>29184754
>kukri should not be used to kill a cow, an animal revered and worshiped by Hindus.

That's not true though.

While you'd get some meat you'd lose out on a lot of beneficial products that an alive cow can get you, so it wasnt that great to kill a cow for beef. Over time that reluctance to kill a cow turned into a taboo - and while some places in india still disallow the killing of cows it's not a religious thing
>>
>>29185135
My buddies and I go to South America a couple times a year, so I run into vines and typical thick brush in the rain forest. There also isn't always room to swing a machete, so I think that a smaller blade would serve me well in some situations.
>>
>>29184865
depends on your environment. What is the vegetation like? If it's more sparse, like thick saplings, a kukri would work.

If it's heavier bush or undergrowth you might want a latin machete or bolo machete
>>
>>29185421
The bolo machete looks like it would be useful. What about a kukri machete? I just discovered that while looking up the bolo machete. This is what I generally cut >>29185367
though I do some things in the pacific northwest as well.

Any idea for a good brand?
>>
>>29185308
dude, hindus. sacred cows. this is not a new thing.
>>
Personally I camp with a knife and a hatchet, this could cover for both if you wanted to carry only one, sacrificing a little utility.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.