[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old's man war
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: thxwikipedia.jpg (24 KB, 220x351) Image search: [Google]
thxwikipedia.jpg
24 KB, 220x351
What does /k/ think about this book as future/sci-fi warfare reference ? I'm not well versed in warfare in general, but i'm curious about other ppl thoughts about it
>>
>clip

Other than that it's pretty good.
>>
Shameless self-bump
>>
>>29173937
Actually worse than I expected. The part where everyone is super impressed with the main character because he remembered to do SSE during a raid turned me off all the way.
>>
>>29173937
I'm glad other people have read this series. I really liked it there were a few things about the universe he could have changed to make it more futuristic, but overall it was great.
>>
>>29173937
It was a fun read, and I enjoyed the concepts, I haven't read the whole series though.
>>
>>29173937

The first book was good. The stupid political bullshit added in after that was dumb.

Should've kept it about the wars and colonies.
>>
>>29174400
You definitely should read the second and the fifth. The 3rd and 4th are great, but a bit too spin-off imo
>>
>>29174451
The first second and parts of the third were kick ass but yeah that ambassador bullshit brought the series down. The Human Division was pretty good but it was just a bunch of short stories instead on one big story. And the fourth made me want to kill myself with the preteen and dumbed down writing.
>>
>>29174576

>dumbed down

Basically. The first book was a pretty worthy successor to Starship Troopers IMHO. The stuff after that made it seem like they were treating me like an idiot.
>>
Just finished it last week, really enjoyed it
>>
From a military standpoint, would arming every soldier of an army with weapons controlled with mind-computers doable and/or reliable ?
>inb4 it's only a SF book
>>
>>29173937

First book of the series was pretty good but the rest of the series is pure garbage because Scalzi went full SJW and wanted to show how progressive he was.

In other words rest of the books are trying to spoon feed the reader some liberal propaganda.
>>
>>29175005

Possibly. It depends on how good your logistics are.

If you can keep your equipment in working order, keep the equipment powered, and make sure your soldiers can operate when the equipment does fail, sure.

No equipment will work 100% of the time, and that's going to be the biggest drawback.
>>
>>29175176
So basically Ender's Game. Loved the first book, the rest are garbage.
>>
>>29173937

>scalzi

Trash.
>>
File: k023~2.jpg (37 KB, 654x283) Image search: [Google]
k023~2.jpg
37 KB, 654x283
>>29175244
Wew lad, that's some constructive feedback right here
>>
>>29175278
Are you scalzi? If so go to bed.
>>
File: doggo.jpg (42 KB, 340x453) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
42 KB, 340x453
I finished the Ghost Brigades, starting on The Last Colony tonight. I just wish they actually described the Obin in detail.

>being the only one who read in the cell-phone area at MEPS
>>
Is this the one where you enlist at like 60-80 years old?
>>
>>29175517
Yes
>>
>>29175517
If it is, i loved the first one, especially the alien race whose religion was war and by defeating other alien races, would then somehow reincarnate them into their race/religion. Didnt know it was a series though
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 300x455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 300x455
>>29173937
Not as good as this
>>
>>29174259
>SSE
The fuck is SSE?
>>
>>29175640
sensitive site exploitation?
>>
>you will never have a brainpal

CHARLES BOUTIN WE NEED YOU
>>
>>29175005
100 years from now, everyone's cellphone will be a mind-computer.

The first book was readable, but I simply find it hard to take old-style non-transhumanist scifi seriously when it's set far in the future.

You'd think 95% of the fighting would be done by AI and drones.
>>
File: 17459243776_3a3a56a82f_m.jpg (10 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
17459243776_3a3a56a82f_m.jpg
10 KB, 240x240
>>29173937
John Scalzi is the most liberal faggot you can imagine. He supports sanders hard, and you can rest assured whatever his fantasy narratives about wars, he wants YOU to be disarmed and disempowered.
>>
>>29175959
Whatever, i'm not American. I juste enjoy some of this books
>>
>>29175517
You enlist age 65, and report at 75. If you die before service starts your combat body is instead enlisted in the Ghost Brigades as a child soldier Special Forces instead of having your mind transferred into it.
>>
>>29177476
But if you live, you get a dope chlorophyll powered body. The experience of an 80 year old in a 20 year old superbody
>>
>>29177635
Not so much powered, but you do get a massive boost to oxygen levels and significantly more efficient nanomachine blood, like several minutes without having to breath good.
>>
The forever war is much, much better.
>>
>>29179123
This. The Forever War is the best sci fi allegory of the Vietnam War ever written, and it should be on every /k/ommando's reading list
>>
>>29175242
Hey, the Shadow series that followed Bean was based as fuck

>>29175176

Yeah, kind of a bummer that Scalzi turned out to be such a cock gobbling faggot. But honestly he's not that great of a writer anyways
>>
>>29179206
> humanity becomes androgynous fags

Looks like we're right on track
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.