[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
18x General Help and Questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8
File: 1450332845491.png (86 KB, 351x371) Image search: [Google]
1450332845491.png
86 KB, 351x371
Ok /k/, I dont usually post here so any help is appreciated. Was just wondering if i could get some questions answered from anyone with knowledge about the 18x contract or the Green Beret/Special Forces in general. Some quick background on me, I am 24 and am actually a Navy veteran already. Got out with a perfect honorable discharge 1 year ago with no disability of any kind or anything like that. Tried college and hated it, way to boring. So i wanted to go back into the military and definitely want to do something far more hardcore than what i was doing in the navy so i figured Special forces in the Army might be perfect. No debt, not so much as a speeding ticket on my record and no medical issues of any kind. Plus already have a secret clearance. So can you foresee any reason they wouldnt take me? So some questions i would like help with before i talk to a recruiter is how easy would it be for me to go into the army with a 18x contract? Also how long is the wait usually from time talking to a recruiter to shipping to boot? I spent 10 months in navy DEP and i hated it. The shorter the better imo. Does 18x offer bonuses for enlisting under it? Ive heard its a 5 year contract is that true? Any other general info or first hand experiences are perfectly welcome.
>>
>>29173728
Your first mission, if you choose to accept it, is to use paragraphs.
>>
>>29173785
Sorry friend, I will next time. Any help to offer though? Insight?
>>
File: 1452462919410.jpg (62 KB, 456x628) Image search: [Google]
1452462919410.jpg
62 KB, 456x628
>>29173728
Bump
>>
Everything I know about 18X is ten years old.

Now my advice regarding prepping for SFAS is basically live in boots to harden your feet, be prepared to ruck like you have never had in your life, and don't be a dick in team phase.
>>
>>29174434
Ya thats pretty much what ive heard, i used to wear boots in the navy for 4 years so i aint woried about that, i already am trying to prepare physiaclly for the rucking, i do long walks with a 60lb sand bag twice a week. Not a dick so i aint worried about that. Thx for the input though. Any idea about the contract itself though?
>>
File: 0a1.jpg (78 KB, 643x820) Image search: [Google]
0a1.jpg
78 KB, 643x820
>>29173728
>>
>>29174512
Bro its not even that long, i appreciate any help though. Just trying to get some 18x info.
>>
File: 1445826510113.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1445826510113.webm
2 MB, 720x404
>>29174546

Bro I've got some 18x info your you bro, 18x is how many times I fucked ur mom bro
>>
>>29174586
Quality posting as always. Thx again man.
>>
>>29173728
Bump
>>
>>29173728
I signed a few months ago, and yes it's a 5 year contract. You go to basic, AIT, then airborne, the SF Prep, then selection. 2% of booties make it through selection as a fresh soldier, being navy might help a bit.
Your asvab and GT have to be pretty high, like high enough to format with paragraphs tier though. What did you do in the seamen service?
>>
>>29175130
Thank you for a constructive reply senpai, my asvab was a 95, sorry for not typing a perfect paragraph i honestly didnt think /k/ would care. I was a OS2 in the navy. And 2% really? Its that low? Also how long in terms of months was in from the day you signed your contract till your ship date?
>>
>>29175154
I signed in November and I ship near the end of this month, but my buddy also signed 18x a year ago and he only waited about a month.
I scored 93, I didn't get offered a bonus however there was a 20k bonus if I had signed with on a Ranger contract. I believe it's not uncommon for a Ranger to go SF and vice versa, it's just personal preference I suppose.
For 18x yeah, I've read that the average green beret has attempted selection five times, I'm not sure if that's accurate.
>>
>>29175275
Thanks for the info man i really appreciate it, couple more questions if you are gonna monitor. How did getting the contract actually go? I ask cause when i was in Navy dep i knew some guys who had seal contracts and the way that worked was they had to sign in under another contract, then while in dep they could attempt the seal pst and then get the contract and it superseded the original contract. Not sure why they do it like that. Is it the same for 18x or can you straight up get one? Also that seems weird why rangers would get a bonus but not Green berets, any idea why that is?
>>
>>29175328
Well the Ranger gigs offering bonuses aren't like "be a Ranger", it's "be a comms Ranger", you get assigned with rangers, you oper8 with rangers, and you're a ranger, but you carry the radio around.
You can just sign 18x yeah, your recruiter might not have it available when you go to meps but if you keep insisting it they'll make a phone call and ask for permission to grant you a slot, basically just trying to get you to sign with a different contract if you have any second thoughts last minute. My friend and I both had to do this, it may or may not be intentional. My actual recruiter would try and pump me up, and his boss would try and talk me out of it, I think they do intentionally do that in order to test resolve? They've both been to SF selection before though, I was lucky to have both of them.
>>
>>29175467
Interesting i see, well its definitely the only thing i want to do so ill insist like crazy that its 18x or nothing. Thx for the help man, any other info you feel like throwing my way would be really cool. Ive heard that all SF guys go to the same bootcamp cause AIT is there as well or something like that. Does that mean the group you are with in bootcamp is all SF guys or are you mixed in with regulars?
>>
>>29175525
nah m8 91f here when i went through basic we had guys with all kinds of autistic contracts for whatever reason.

Of course they couldve been lying.
>>
You are going to fail like everyone else
But go to quietprofessionals if you're serious about actually trying. Lurk, follow their rules, shut up, and read.
>>
>>29175547
Did you have guys with ranger contracts or SF contracts as well?
>>29175557
Word
>>
>>29175525
You'll go to bootcamp at Ft. Benning, GA yeah. My buddy said there was maybe 200 SF candidates there around the same time as him but that a good quarter or so dropped out even before airborne training.
You're mixed in with infantry, yes. That's because 98% of those SF candidates will be 11bravos assigned to tank battalions, and the 2% who pass will of course benefit from the extra conditioning and marksmanship training anyway.
It's all in the mindset, talk to SF if you know any irl, get yourself disciplined in lieu of motivated, embrace the suck, etc. You're ex navy so you've got a head up, use it komrade
>>
>>29175639
Thx man, sounds good.
>that a good quarter or so dropped out even before airborne training.
Are you serious? Thats fucking nuts. Do you think thats cause they arent physically prepared? Or mentally? I just cant imagine quitting that early on.
>>
You won't learn anything useful from /k/, but here's the two biggest things that will help you succeed
PT. PT. PT. Get in top fucking shape before going, don't go "Oh basic will get me in shape" it won't. Look up the standards, get to them. Always be careful to not hurt yourself either.
The second thing: Never give up. You don't leave there until your Cadre orders you to. If you voluntarily quit you will never forgive yourself and you likely will never get another chance. If you get kicked out, you still have a chance in the future.
>>
>>29174434
Why does the army give boots that are rough on your feet? Shouldn't they do the exact opposite?
>>
>>29175682
Believe me im not taking this likely, on my ship we had about 20 buds duds and the shame in there eyes and despair they lived with honestly rubbed off on me. They fucked hated being surface navy. And Ive heard the physical advice many times before and have taken it to heart. Im doing everything i can.
>>
>>29175661
No clue, they have to pass a 2/2/2 PT after enlisting, but before ship date. 60 pushups, 50 situps, 2 mile run in 15:38 or something depending on your age group to even keep the SF contract so I can't imagine the physical training being too much for them, maybe some of the hazing got to them, who knows. I guess shin splints or mild foot injuries would probably wear on resolve after a few months of just getting worse and worse.
>>
>>29175735
I just cant imagine being that un prepared. I remember all the buds duds telling me you better be able to run 5 miles in under 30 mins or dont even think about it. I took that shit to heart as i said and have been doing a lot of running as well as ruck marches. Thats really the only things i could think of to avoid getting shin splints.
>>
File: tumblr_nal5pubLAk1tjrqtlo1_500.jpg (66 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nal5pubLAk1tjrqtlo1_500.jpg
66 KB, 500x370
>>29175760
I don't know when 18x was added as an enlistment contract for fresh boots, but I would imagine it exists to fill a gap in infantry recruits and probably coincides with the popularity of call of duty desu
>>
>>29175840
Ya i honestly wouldnt be surprised if the whole reason it was instituted was to fill infantry spots same with the navy cause all the buds duds become un designated seasman which is basically the shittiest job there is.
>>
>>29175596
lots of ranger contracts at jackson I think the SF might go to Benning im not 100 percent
>>
>>29175954
Ive heard that all SF go to benning.
>>
>>29175964
That is probably correct.

Hell I haven't even been in army in 2 years so my dd214 blanket keeps me warm.
>>
>>29175972
Word, i need to dust mine off.
>>
>>29175983
Since i got a med though I can't rejoin anyway. Avoid big army because its absolute bullshit though.
>>
>>29175661
I'll chime in, I was a former 18x.

Got through airborne (and lol'd at the lazy prior service people who just wanted back in and dropped afterwards), got through SFPC (and learned a 270 PT score is good enough, but a little below average) and then snapped my ankle and med dropped in selection.

Lessons learned: once you have an under 35 minute 5 mile and are hardened to not comprehend quitting, the rest is being lucky and not getting injured. A fair percentage (25?%) of injuries are people looking for an excuse to quit, but I'll assume that won't be you.

The only other way to fuck it up is having a bad temper and snapping at other dudes in team week; or alternately, being the first guy to rotate off something heavy. But that's just basic social competence.

PT scores are a good predictor. People say it's mental, and it is, but how much mental effort is required is predicated on how much physical effort over your routine thresholds you're putting out.

A 270 is maybe a 40% chance of passing. 300, maybe 55%.
>>
>>29176024
>Avoid big army because its absolute bullshit though.
Im sure it is, just like big navy was.
>>29176027
Hmmm i see thanks a lot man. You still in the army? Gonna try again? How did you hurt your ankle?
>being the first guy to rotate off something heavy
What does this mean?
>>
>>29176055
I broke it in land nav; the woods are full of semi-hidden pot holes.

I'll probably try again but there's no point talking about it until after the fact, because everyone is a bullshitter about this stuff until proven otherwise.

For team events - you'll do things like taking turns carrying different contraptions your team assembled.

They'll be really heavy and you'll be sucking hard, and not everyone will have a good grip, so usually someone will be resting.

Don't end your turn voluntarily. You'll look like you're being a pussy even if you aren't (and maybe you are being one, subconsciously). Wait until the next guy drags you off. A lot of judgements the cadre make are inevitably subjective, but certain things are red flags for their attention and that's one of them.
>>
>>29176055
I think he means if you're team carrying an 800lb log don't be the first guy to drop it.
>>
>>29176177
I see, man you are dropping some sweet info i really appreciate it. Literally anything else you remember/think i should know please dont hesitate to post.
>>29176190
Right, for some reason when i read it it didnt click in my mind,
>>
>>29176055
Oh ive had how bad big navy is.
>>
>>29176472
Ya man its so bad its almost funny. I was in from 2010-2014 and did 2 deployments. Its filled with the lamest fattest chodes youll ever meet. All day is spent acting like whatever menial task you are doing is acutally the most important thing in the whole world. Ive spent more time cleaning than most people will in there whole lives.
>>
>>29176689
I know the feeling man i once fucked up and actually had to wash rocks.
>>
>>29176764
Bro i didnt fuck up and they still used to make us sweep water in the rain. There were definitely some fun times but I attribute that more to the cool people in my division. The majority of it was lame as hell.
>>
>>29176793
Yeah i was designated grass cutter. Shit gets pretty gay at Ft. Jackson in the summer.
>>
>>29176846
Sounds terrible man.
>>
Is it true that you won't even make it to airborne school with any waivers? I'm about to get a hearing consult to see if I can even get in. I can almost ace a apft at 18, even though only been working out for 4 1/2 months. Would that somehow help? Really bummed that I won't be able to expand on an 11x career.
>>
>>29177028
Why are you pretending to be me senpai
>>
>>29176901
it was but hey its the army.
>>
Not OP, but:

How many x-rays get selected? I've heard it's close to none, but I've also heard that it can be pretty good odds in some aspects. I know getting through the Q-course and after SFAS is another area where you can get dropped, but just wondering.
>>
>>29177694
Ive read that 1/10 18X's make it from basic training to SFQC Graduation. Half apparently drop before selection, assuming it's because they're a bunch of CoD kids who were in over their head and never should've signed a contract in the first place. From what I've read, most of the guys who make it through SOPC end up getting selected. By then, the weak have already been weeded out. Getting recycled because of injuries is common for everyone though, hence why some guys have to attempt selection multiple times.
>>
>>29178210
>1/10
Thats amazing how low it is
>>
>>29178861
Meant for
>>29178846
>>
>>29178846
>drop before selection
So... in basic or airborne? Fucking seriously?

If youre already at a 250-300 apft and you drop your contract in basic or airborne school, well, thank god the Army didn't spend more money on you.
>>
>>29178846
>>29178929
What on earth could they have you doing thats so damn hard you quit before even getting to selection?
>>
>>29178944
That's what I want to know.

Also, is it lame that I would love to try selection just to do it? I want to see what my limits are without the threat of destroying my career if I fail.
>>
>>29178995
Its not lame at all senpai
>>
>>29175130
>2% of booties make it through selection as a fresh soldier
>>
I joined as an 18X over a decade ago, and it was a whole lot of fun. You'd better be able to PT a 300, travel 30 miles per day through wooded hills with about 90 pounds of gear and navigate without a GPS like a boss.
>>
>>29180548
So, did you pass selection?
>>
>>29180730
[CLASSIFIED]
>>
>>29181662
So it's all bullshit then? Disappointing.
>>
>>29180548
>>29181919
isnt 18X enlistment just the army's way of baiting dumbass kids into joining thinking theyre gonna be SF, only to place them into a randomized 11-series open slot?

like, you dont just enlist as SF, theres such a small chance that you'd be picked over officers or NCOs, even if you happen to be a super badass fuzzy and outperform everyone

it's a fucking ez mode recruiter tool they whip out when a kid walks in talking about videogames or crossfit
>>
>>29181989
No, they put tons of effort into getting you to pass, and there are standards you gotta meet to even get/keep the contract.
>>
Ruck hard and heavy

Run barefoot

Get a proper shoe fitment and insoles if you need them

Do plyometrics

Drink milk and lots of it

Bonus if you can bench 1.5 your bodyweight and squat/dead lift 2x.

If you have shin splints or ingrown toenails get that sorted out now.

Learn to embrace the suck and operate at your best when you feel your worstv(hands shaking, lightheaded, dizzy, breathless, sleepy, hungry)

Try to learn how to run on a full stomach without spilling it. It'll save you some calories

Get with a former grunt and learn land nav. Learn how to use a Cammenga 3h to its fullest extent and develop terrain association. Learn to do it at night too

Find sock combos that work with your feet/boots

Good luck
>>
>>29182240
Glad to see this thread is still up, appreciate the input. Basically ive heard and agree with all that. Its funny cause i was a navigator in the navy so charts and stuff are my bread and butter. Been lifting seriously for a while now so the bench, squat and dead are no problem.
>>
>>29181989
I think it partially fills that role but some do make it so i guess its worth it.
>>
>>29182240
I feel like you don't operate and you're talking out your ass
>>
>>29188807
He might not be isnt the advice solid?
>>
professionalsoldiers.com

"Special Forces" by Tom Clancy
"Chosen Soldier" by Dick Couch
"Get Selected" by Maj. Joe Martin
"Masters of Chaos" by Linda Robinson
>>
>>29189646
Arent all of those old and out of date?
>>
>>29188807
That's all pretty spot-on advice, though.

By the way, OP, I highly recommend this book. It's full of great stuff. It breaks down just about every conceivable reason why people fail and tells you how to mitigate those risk factors--it even has an entire chapter dedicated to foot care and boot selection. Lots of good info on preparing and training. I personally own it myself, and I very frequently see it recommended to people aspiring to be part of any sort of SOF unit.
>>
>>29190026
I actually own and have read that book that's why most of my questions dealt with contract stuff.
>>
>>29190026
Good read
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.