[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tomorrow I buy my first Mosin Nagant anything I should know before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: mosin-survivalthrive.jpg (125 KB, 900x400) Image search: [Google]
mosin-survivalthrive.jpg
125 KB, 900x400
Tomorrow I buy my first Mosin Nagant anything I should know before hand?
>>
File: 8061706430_5dd5600622_k.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1737) Image search: [Google]
8061706430_5dd5600622_k.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1737
>>29167305
>anything I should know before hand?

Nothing. It's best if you do this knowing absolutely nothing at all.
>>
>>29167305
Mosins aren't worth their prices now and classic has the only mosins worth a shit to buy. Classic is staffed by retards and faggots and you shouldn't give them an iota of your buisiness.

/bread
>>
>pull out the bolt and put a flashlight down the barrel. Make sure the rifling is still there
>see if the bolt cycles smooth
>if you care about accuracy past 100 yards you might consider a sniper mosin or another gun
>>
File: 1453684441594.jpg (148 KB, 914x960) Image search: [Google]
1453684441594.jpg
148 KB, 914x960
>>29167336
>>29167402
>>29167334
Thank you very much, advice is greatly appreciated
>>
I don't think Mosins are worth the price anymore.

If you're dead set on getting one:
>Check the muzzle crown
>Check for smoothness of action (Mosins tend to have pretty chunky actions anyway, though)
>Check that the front sight isn't canted retardedly far to either side
>Stick your finger in the chamber to check for obvious burrs or damage
>Lick all the cosmoline off to absorb Ivan's power
>>
File: 5C_-_Mosin_Nagant.png (687 KB, 611x793) Image search: [Google]
5C_-_Mosin_Nagant.png
687 KB, 611x793
Here's the Mosin guide from the sticky. Honestly, it's not really worth buying anymore. Around the time I first started lurking here, people suggested it constantly because it was just so cheap. $90 could get you the rifle with accessories. If you were picky, you could walk away with a hex receiver. Then another $90 could get you enough surplus ammo to last you years. For under $200, you got a high power, rugged, reliable, centerfire battle rifle and plenty of ammo. Nothing else came close in value.

Now... ehh. It's sad, but the gravy train is gone. Meh condition Mosin Nagants are like $200 now, right? I've seen Nagant revolvers that were $99 not to long ago, selling for $300-$400 online. Feels bad man.

Do you really, really want a Mosin Nagant? Or are you just after a budget firearm?
>>
Prepare to be dissapointed. I bought into the /k/ love for the Mosin back in 2012, and don't get me wrong, going over your rifle and discovering what all the stamps and markings mean is fun, and (especially if you buy a rifle from the WWII era) owning a rifle that may or may not have claimed a life is cool, but they're not terrible accurate, long as fuck, and despite all the tricks I've found googling and youtubing I still have a sticky bolt like a motherfucker. Better than it was but still not great. Also half the reason to buy one in the first place was cheap ammo, which is no longer as cheap as it was, however if you want a Mosin because reasons instead of because cheap that doesn't matter to you

It's a hard hitting round with a lot of potential, but most of these rifles aren't tack drivers, and I'd definitely recommend it not be your first firearm (even if it is buy it now because they're only going up in price but wait to shoot it until you've shot other guns)

>tldr: Rifle is fine, it's just that rifle isn't amazing
>>
>>29167506
>Do you really, really want a Mosin Nagant? Or are you just after a budget firearm?

Different person, but I'm looking at cheap rifles to just enjoy shooting. Any suggestions? I've got a decent plot of farmland I'd like to try out some long(er) range shooting on. I've never owned a gun before.
>>
>>29167657
Get a cheap .22, maybe something like a Savage 64. If you feel like it is your sacred duty to get a larger caliber, spend a little more and get a Yugo Mauser or something similar.
>>
>>29167657
Ruger 10/22 and a lot of ammo to git gud at shooting
>>
>>29167657
> I've never owned a gun before.

Do not start with a Mosin. The recoil can develop bad flinching habits in you, and between the rfile itself and (if you buy surplus ammo, which is the only way it makes sense to own a Mosin) the variability of ammo quality/accuracy will frustrate you as you learn to shoot well, never knowing how much of your errors is you or the ammo/rifle

Start with a goddamn Ruger 10/22 or one of the mainstream 223/308s from Savage or Mossberg or whatever you can get new at your local Cabelas/Gander Mountain/whatever
>>
>>29167657
Probably something rimfire. Ruger 10/22 is the popular choice. Also, Marlin Model 60.
>>
>>29167657
Buy a Ruger 10/22 and put tech sights on it. Shoot cans and paper, have fun.
>>
File: 2.jpg (2 KB, 114x192) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
2 KB, 114x192
Yes, you should have bought a mauser instead.

Save us the thread, please.
>>
>>29167305
Just check that the bore is nice and that the bolt cycles well. That's really all there is for a good shooter.

Any other plus things are if the numbers match, comes with accessories (Oiler can, sling, tools, etc) and if the wood condition is at least decent.

If you're wanting one bad enough you might as well bite the bullet and buy one now. I bought my most recent one a few months ago for $190, and while I love shooting my mosins, I'll never buy another one for less than $130. It's not that they're bad guns, it's just that for nearing the $300 I'm seeing them sell for, you might as well pick up a different rifle.

But if you want one, BUY NOW before the prices go any higher.
>>
>>29167305
Yes, there is. Buy something else.
>>
>>29167802
So what you're saying is that it is good to own a Mosin you bought for $150 a few years ago, right?
>>
OP, just to put things in perspective about how the Mosin isn't a good value, consider this.

The Ruger American Rifle chambered in 30-06 is $300. I'm sure most people would agree it's generally a better rifle in many ways. A $200-$250 Mosin Nagant is a pretty hard sell when you can buy new, centerfire rifles for not much more.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-american-22-syn.html
>>
File: SAM_0339.jpg (581 KB, 1084x1925) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0339.jpg
581 KB, 1084x1925
>>29167305
Check the rifling and bore. A sticky bolt can be fixed once you get all the cosmoline out. Do you care where it was made or what shape of receiver? I don't. I have a 1928 Tula hex receiver Mosin, but there is nothing tangibly better about the Tula made ones or hex receivers. It's just a "collectible" thing, I have shot a few others at the range and FWIW the worst one (extremely difficult bolt and messed up stock) was American made by Westinghouse in 1915. There are Chinese carbines, identical to the M44. These are good quality. Finnish rifles are excellent but not cheap. Ammo can be bought in surplus (Steel core and corrosive, not allowed at most indoor ranges and clean your gun after shooting) or commercial (FMJ lead core, soft point hunting) cartridges from PPU, Winchester, Sellier & Bellot, etc. Accuracy varies - a lot. Some are really accurate and some are crap. The sights are sometimes off because they were sighted with a bayonet attached. I don't recommend using the original cleaning kit (if you do, use the muzzle protector and clean from the BREECH end). The usual Mosin is a tad over 4 feet long (M91/30), so keep that in mind when buying a case. The stock is typically shellac coated, so most are flaky. You can refinish it or buy a new stock (I'm not a fan of most Mosins with aftermarket stocks). I have had some friends and relatives shoot mine and I feel that the normal length 91/30 Mosin doesn't have too much recoil, even for an absolute beginner. It is not bad at all. I can't make any recommendations about where to buy the gun or ammo and I have been having trouble lately finding good prices. Prices will keep going up, I'm afraid. Good luck bargain hunting and have fun shooting! Pic related is my rifle's receiver.
>>
>>29167440
that picture fucked me up for a bit.

pretty cool though
>>
Don't
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.