[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I picked up a couple of Baofengs for when out camping with the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: mark1-mark2-1.jpg (1 MB, 1024x1944) Image search: [Google]
mark1-mark2-1.jpg
1 MB, 1024x1944
I picked up a couple of Baofengs for when out camping with the family away from digital civilization. I wanted a weather radio and a MURS system in one package. Now I'm reading that using MURS on a non-part-95 compliant device, even in 1 watt mode, is illegal.

So here I am reading up on getting a Technician's license. I have a couple of questions for any radio guys.

1. Is there any point in bothering with the license if I'm going to be the only one in my family using it? If there's some benefit to my community I can provide or shit like that, fine. But I have zero interest in just using a radio version of a BBS with other radio operators.

2. The practice tests have a large number of questions relating to circuit diagrams and high current electrical equipment. How much of this shows up on the tests?

3. How in the hell would someone detect if you are using a MURS device that is not part 95 compliant if you are transmitting under 2 watts.

4. Assuming some autist decides to fuck with my communications because of this fact, is that also not a violation of the general use guidelines (101d I think) for his license?
>>
Not OP but I got mine in the mail a week ago. Just bee fidelling woth it lately because I don't know a single info about radios.

A few questions of my own.

I can it on the frequency of a Walkie talkie but the UV5R receives from the Walkie talkie but not the other way around. Only one way. Any idea why?

Can I use this as a marine radio? Basically just program in the channels that a normal marine radio has, like 16, and stuff.
The radio I have in my boat has removable antenna and I stronger than .5 watt, how is that legal?
>>
Nobody would be able to tell if you're using a non compliant radio without going through a lot of trouble. If you guys want to be legal run through some online tests for the ham radio Tech license. Even if you have zero electronic skills it's easy to memorize enough answers to pass. Make a family day out of it. You can use mobile radios with much more power too. Ham radio licenses need to be renewed every ten years so once you get it you have it forever. You or a family member might actually like the hobby. Who knows?
>>
>>29165572

It appears that channel 16 is 156.8 MHz, which is definitely in the UV5R VHF range. Guess you can.
>>
>>29165572
Is the walkie talkie set up for a repeater?
>>
>>29165493
Here's an infographic.

Also, check out the ARRL website, it has a bunch of good information on becoming licensed. It also gives you a list of available tests around your area.

(hint: KAT has a torrent of the license manual which helps prepare you for the test)
>>
>>29165493
>>29169460
Additional information that breaks it down layman style (also Baofeng radios are the same, for the most part. Should transfer over to your model)

http://codegreenprep.com/2013/04/tips-on-how-to-best-configure-and-use-your-baofeng-uv-5r/

Offers a bunch of additional material to help you get familiar
>>
>>29169412
I would have no idea. I just set the uv to the frequency of the channel on the Walkie. Depress the Walkie talk button, the uv receives. But nothing happens he other way around.

There are two numbers on the uv, could one be the transmitting and the other receiving?

I did set them to be the same though and still nothing.
>>
I know people who use MURS/FRS/GMRS all the damn time on their baofengs for work (at 8 watts too). These frequencies are essentially reserved for unlicensed public use. As long as you're not using them directly in front of some FCC radio expert, no one will bother you. Not even salty old HAMS will give a shit because, as I said, these frequencies are reserved for unlicensed public use. As far as output power goes, anything < 10 watts is extremely low power all things considered. No one will be able to tell your radio is non-compliant over the air.

Now, if you want to set up a repeater/connect to repeaters, use output powers > 10 watts, or use your radios commercially, yes get a license. But for point-to-point walkie talkie use, I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>29165572
The bubble pack walkie talkie isn't picking up the frequency because it's using a squelch tone. Set up your pofung to use the right squelch tone and it'll pick it up.
>>
>>29165493
1. eh not really. if you use it on frs or murs you'll be ok. technically the radio isn't qualified for it but w/e
2. Ham exams usually have 1 or 2 questions about circuit diagrams. If you don't know it you'll make it out alive.
3. They can't really.
4. If a ham starts harassing you you can complain to the FCC that they're abusing their license and they can face fines :)
>>
>>29173472
Different anon here. Seems like we're all getting radios! Radiofag on /pol/ is shilling hard, as well.

I just got two baofengs for camping. I figure it won't matter if I'm compliant when I'm out in the mountains. Besides, I also wanted some that would be useful in an emergency scenario.

I'll stick to FRS and it won't matter if it can go above 5watts or not. All indications are that they don't really have that much power anyway.

That said, what frequencies/channels would be best to program into them? I tried pretty hard to figure out WTF 'channel 3' is, but I just have no clue how to find it.
>>
>>29173950
If you go to https://murdercube.com/radioconfig/ there's a brief guide on programming the radio, as well as some basic frequencies. Channel 3 usually refers to FRS3 or MURS3. Both are considered to be the nationals channel for emergency/survivalists/militia.
>>
>>29174041
Awesome, I'll check it out.
>>
>>29174041
The channel 3 thing is stupid. For FRS the national emergency call channel is 1.

Never buy an FRS radio that doesn't do GMRS, it won't be any cheaper.
>>
>>29174041
>>29175909

I cannot imagine how useful a >1 mile range radio band will be in an emergency. I imagine the amateur bands and GMRS would be better since you can set up repeaters on them.

Not to mention, if there is some type of natural disaster, the FCC will be my last worry.
>>
>>29165493
The test is easy as fuck. I studied for maybe 2 days before hand and passed. Another guy passed all 3 tests in one sitting. The way it worked for me was pay 15 bucks for testing, and you can take as many as you want until you fail.
>>
>>29165493
1. It is useful if you find out the local repeater channels and tune in during severe weather. If they dint have anyone reporting in your area, you can chime in and give them reports of conditions like hail+size, wind speed, visible rotation etc. 2.The test has gotten easier since I took mine 10 years ago. My test was over 1/3 diagrams and blew dick. Not sure how many now but I think its 2-3
3. Close range triangulation. Would be my guess. It is how they find people operating without a license or stolen call sign.

I got mine since my dad has had a license for about 40+yrs. Now he teaches the classes and issues the tests one weekend a month. 94%+ pass rate. Even a 7yr old passed for technician in his class
>>
>posting in an LMJ thread
>>
>>29169835
You have to program the offset to match the walkie talkie. Look online for your particular model, and program the UV5R accordingly.
>>
>>29180155
>>29173269
Thanks
>>
>>29165493
>Is there any point in bothering with the license if I'm going to be the only one in my family using it? If there's some benefit to my community I can provide or shit like that, fine. But I have zero interest in just using a radio version of a BBS with other radio operators.

Ham is a dying hobby, but a fun and rewarding one, if you want to be involved in ham groups that do civic related stuff, you can, if you want to be involved in ham groups that do cool tech shit, you can do that to. Keep in mind a lot of hams are as autistic as people on 4chan, or worse.

>2. The practice tests have a large number of questions relating to circuit diagrams and high current electrical equipment. How much of this shows up on the tests?

the tech test is 30 questions, there will be a few that are related to each subject

>3. How in the hell would someone detect if you are using a MURS device that is not part 95 compliant if you are transmitting under 2 watts.

If you're causing enough of a problem to make them care, then they'd use a sniffer or other such equipment, they'd likely use multiple recievers to get your location. However if you're not acting like a complete and total spaghetti vendor on the air and fuck up peoples shit, then no one will care.

>4. Assuming some autist decides to fuck with my communications because of this fact, is that also not a violation of the general use guidelines (101d I think) for his license?

maybe, but the if it comes down to having to point that out to your lawyer or the feds then you've already fucked up so bad that you can expect at least a fine, regardless of what happens to the other person. 2 wrongs dont make a right in the CFR
>>
>>29165572
>I can (use) it on the frequency of a walkie talkie and the UV5R receives from the walkie talkie but not the other way around. Do you have any idea why?

First, please dont make me clean up your fucking sentences again. Type like an adult.

Regarding your radios, the other posters are correct, your walkie has a subaudible squelch setting (ctcss) that requires the radio that is transmitting to use in order to allow your walkie to hear it.

the simplest solution is to turn that option off on the walkie talkie, the other solution is to turn the ctcss tone on for your baofeng.
>>
HO BOY A BOW CHANG THREAD BOW CHANG BOW CHANG BOWCHANG BOWCHANG BOWCHANG BOWCHANG BOWCHANG BOWCHANG
>>
>>29165493
Don't worry about it OP. Portland in particular is full of people transmitting on unlicensed devices on FRS/etc and geocacher dumbfucks even use HAM repeaters without licenses. I've never heard of someone getting owned by law enforcement, but if you're running higher wattage gear for extended periods of time you're going to be super easy to triangulate if someone starts caring. Be smart and a "gray man" when it comes to your comms. Talking with your buddies on obscure ham or any other frequencies aren't going to get you caught as long as they aren't occupied by anyone else (ie commercial usage) and you aren't being a complete dumbfuck. Enjoy amateur radio.

>>29180425
HAM is a dying hobby, yes. Most ham radio owners are not "hams" though, they are unlicensed preppers that stick to QRP or don't transmit at all.
>>
>>29181933
This

>>29165493
>3. How in the hell would someone detect if you are using a MURS device that is not part 95 compliant if you are transmitting under 2 watts.

Actually the bandwidth is a problem for the radios. While you can play the "I guess I got the bandwidth too high" argument, someone can use a spectrum analyzer and see its wider band. IIRC MURS uses 10 khz on each side, the lowest setting for your radio is 12.5 khz. The low tech way of doing it with a radio involves turning off squelch and dropping bandwidth and listening in on the side bands of their commo.

Your Baofeng uses 2 power settings. These power settings are high and low, 5 watts and 1 watt respectively. Get a good antenna, use VHF for innawoods and at 1 watt unless you're more than a quarter mile away then use 5. Innacity use UHF with 5 watts and keep away from commercial and public service frequencies. Metal is your enemy here. Get the antenna off your body and higher in the air. Ever see the military whip antenna? Get something like that and mount the radio on the back of your shoulder or on the pack.
>>
>>29182076

I actually dug into MURS and GMRS. Aparrently the FCC is not enforcing regulations on either. The southern Californian license holders in particular are salty as shit over it.

That being said, I'm going to be using this to keep my family connected, and maybe listen for weather and other emergencies. I have zero desire to jump on some licensed guy's repeater.
>>
>>29182076

Noon question?

> MURS with 10kHZ on each side
> Baofeng minimum of 12.5kHZ on each side

Can someone explain how bandwidth and spacing are related? I see that narrowband radio has to be limited to 12.5kHZ bandwidth. Wouldn, that mean that a narrowband radio would be under the 20kHZ limit for MURS?
>>
>>29182514
>>29182514
negative ghost rider its 2.5 khz larger on each side than the allowed limit.

In total its 25 khz parabola
Murs only allows 20 in the US.
>>
>>29182076
>>29182514
There's no problem when it comes to deviation, which is what you're referring to. MURS uses 2.5kHz on the first 3 channels, and 5kHz on the last 2. The baofengs are capable of doing both. When you go to the menu setting "WN" wide is 5kHz deviation and narrow is 2.5kHz. This is standard for pretty much all ham gear.

The idea behind narrow banding is that radios are required to have a deviation smaller than 12.5kHz to save "space" on the air. Basically as you transmit using FM your frequency fluctuates by your main frequency +- your deviation. Transmitting on 144.000MHz with 5kHz standard ham deviation results in a signal taking up from 143.995 to 144.005MHz. As the deviation gets bigger you take up more space so there can be less people utilizing the airwaves.
>>
>>29165493

I have my technician license, working on general. My 2 cents.

1. I thought the same as you UNTIL a fellow gun nut convinced me to study for free at a program at their radio club. I did not want to go, only thought I would use a radio in shtf anyway. I have an electronics and IT background, turns out I did not know dick. But, I learned so fucking much in a few weeks, met great older people that would do anything to help you and got to a point where I fully understand every variable that I would need to to setup and run the equipment the best it can. Believe it or not, understanding the local radio scene can help you in SHTF. Contacts that I was able to make with other local operators during Sandy helped me navigate back roads that were closed and avoid flooding. Boring stuff but it can save your bacon when cell towers are out. Most repeaters have generators and are staffed 24/7 buy the ham nuts during an emergency. They feel like god helping you.

2. A fair amount but it is very basic. You just need to know a few component parts and things like Ohm's law. Basic math. It is on there for a reason...you don't just buy a radio on amazon and think that it is going to work the way you NEED it to. This is a venture that takes skill to run equipment on an operator tier level. They made cellphones for a reason.

3. It is possible but not probable that someone with a scanner would detect it and then try to figure out where it is coming from with DX equipment. They may see it as interference at first and get curious. This is my point, people that don't know how to setup radios (many CB guys) think they are just transmitting on one frequency. Because of improper setup, poorly tuned antennas/radios and poor location, they light up the spectrum like a Christmas tree. Did I mention lose power and have a shitty setup?

4. Most likely, they will try to find where you are transmitting from with DX equipment and then try to report you. The shit works well.
>>
>>29182940
>It is possible but not probable that someone with a scanner would detect it and then try to figure out where it is coming from with DX equipment.
>Most likely, they will try to find where you are transmitting from with DX equipment and then try to report you. The shit works well.
Will you make up your mind please?
>>
>>29182940
Whether you're ragchewing or packeting hentai unlicensed you're not going to get caught if you're on the move. if you're TX from a stationary point and anything over 5 watts you absolutely need a license, but then again if SHTF people basically have a way to reliably find you and your gear because you can be looked up publicly.
>>
>>29183015
>4. Assuming some autist decides to fuck with my communications because of this fact, is that also not a violation of the general use guidelines (101d I think) for his license?

"ASSUMING"
>>
>>29183082

1. I don't care AT ALL if someone is not licensed. That said, I prefer to be. My choice. I just have more options. Nothing to hide, more practice on real world comms, can be mobile or not, easier to get help from others, access to hamfests and other events. I have even bought gear on ebay where they refused to sell me equipment without confirming my call sign. Not saying its right. I don't understand why people are against it...they would get a carry permit but not a nerdy FCC license? To each their own. Most of the guys that are anal about licensing are the retired types that are holier than though. They really do try to find people who key up illegally. I hate government types. I use them for what I can to learn and I moved on.

2. My registration is tied to a PO box which is legal and not able to be sourced. I would not use my call sign in SHTF (duh) but need to during other times to actually use the equipment, practice in the real world and have 99% of hams respond. You must declare your call sign to others, it is just protocol. Again, not saying it's right, just how the world runs at the moment.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.