[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is bore-axis just a meme /k/? I returned from the range today
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Is bore-axis just a meme /k/?

I returned from the range today after trying a few different pistols and I'm actually a bit confused . Full disclosure: I'm a no-guns and my combined shooting experience doesn't amount to more than first impressions of any particular gun.

I don't know how it is at most ranges, but the one I go to lets you swap out guns of the same caliber when you're renting. They don't have a huge selection but my gf, my buddy and I ended up shooting:
My buddy's Jerico in .40 S&W
Sig P229
Glock 17
Beretta M9
Ruger American Pistol, or whatever the new one is called.

We shot with range reloads. What surprised me was that Sig had by far the most gentle recoil, being the gun with the highest bore axis. It was a very noticeable difference. The Jerico in .40 kicked the most, despite being a good deal heavier than any other pistol we shot. The Glock had the harshest recoil of the 9mm bunch, and it has a pretty low bore axis I believe. Not sure what to think. My takeaway is that bore axis is probably not as important as things like the weight of the frame/slide, the action, and springs.

Other random thoughts:
My gf and I both liked the Sig the best, because of the recoil and having the nicest trigger of everything we shot today.
The Ruger was my second favorite, nice sights, pretty decent trigger. Mag release really is too small though and slide catch is way too smooth and flat.
The DA trigger on the Jerico sucks balls and is really long. SA trigger is a bit too light for my tastes.
M9 was pretty nice except for the weird sights and the difficult to reach/operate mag release. Trigger was very light/short as well.
The Glock did not leave a good impression. Snappiest recoil, poor trigger, poor grip ergos.

Feel free to give me your thoughts or tell me how I'm retarded.
>>
>>29165340
>SIG had the nicest trigger

>Glock had snappy grip

Either you're new to handguns or you're an idiot.
>>
>>29165340
You're absolutely right about bore axis being an overblown characteristic relative to other factors like frame material

However, a high grip on the gun can help in mitigating recoil. Is it far and away the largest factor? No. But it's one of the easiest things to attack about the 22X line on /k/, so there you go.
>>
>>29165340
It is, in fact, a factor.
But it's not as big as people want you to think.
It really only becomes a huge thing if you're doing competitions with it.
>>
>>29165340
>Is bore-axis just a meme /k/?

With sigs yes. It's the new thing to complain about when noguns try to pretend they know anything really. That or wrongfully assume that all sigs rust if you look at them the wrong way.
>>
File: Mars01[1].jpg (956 KB, 2006x1308) Image search: [Google]
Mars01[1].jpg
956 KB, 2006x1308
>>29165340
If you understand the concept of a lever (simple machine), you can see how bore-axis could pose an issue. In practice, there aren't any designs on the market where it's an issue.

Most people complaining about it, are trying to blame their own faults on something else.

A competent shooter can use a Sig Sauer just as well as a Glock, or what-have-you.

An example of a firearm with high bore axis is the Mars automatic pistol.
>>
>>29165367
Yeah he said he's new to weapons.

Taste in trigger tension may change as he gains experience.
>>
>>29165384
My pistol hasn't in 5 years but my mags have
>>
File: Jerry-Miculek.jpg (27 KB, 600x374) Image search: [Google]
Jerry-Miculek.jpg
27 KB, 600x374
>>29165340
Bore axis is greatly overrated by amateur shooters and doesn't directly translate to perceived recoil. Recoil perception is more strongly affected by the strength of the recoil spring, the weight of the slide and weight of the gun's frame that hangs in front of the grip.

Where bore axis does make a difference is for competition shooters who want to control the muzzle riseas well as possible in terms of the amount they have to re-adjust after each shot to get the sights back on target. Normal amateur shooters take a long enough time in between shots (1-3 seconds at fastest) that if they are having trouble getting the muzzle back on target, it's because of a deficiency in their skill set - the gun is not the limiting factor.
>>
>>29165369
>However, a high grip on the gun can help in mitigating recoil.
Your grip isn't going to do anything about changing the recoil. Recoil is an inherent quality of the gun design and the cartridge. What you can do with a high grip on the gun is increase the amount of control you have over the gun as it is recoiling.
>>
>>29165740
I believe he was talking specifically about felt recoil from the shooters perspective
>>
>>29165369
its super memey. revolvers have about the shittiest bore axis around and yet http://youtu.be/gEHNZFTfSD8 is possible with good technique.

bore axis is about the laziest argument against any particular gun around
>>
>Is X a meme?
These threads should be banned.
>>
>>29165856
>these threads should be banned

Meme
>>
>>29165856
Give me a break. The OP clearly put some thought into his question, and you know what he meant. If not, I'll translate: "Is it true that bore axis is a major factor with handgun selection and merit?"
>>
>>29165856
>>29165875
Only milhouse is safe.
>>
>>29165816

Revolvers also typically weigh more than semiautos AND are relatively front heavy and long for a given barrel length.

Which is why its difficult to make apples to apples since you cant make sweeping statements.

Sigs have high bore axis.

A 226 would DEFINITELY be less flippy if its bore axis was reduced.
>>
It's the marksman who makes the weapon.
If you practice and become proficient with the weapon. Then everything else is just bullshit.
>>
>>29165340
Wow, you figured out to blow off most the bullshit you read on here and go with the guns you like.
Congrats.
>>
>>29165340
One of the reasons the Sig recoils less is because of the extra weight of the metal frame. If it were a poly-frame gun like the SP2022 it would probably kick more comparably to the Glock.
>>
>>29165340
>My gf and I both liked the Sig the best, because of the recoil and having the nicest trigger of everything we shot today.

Just wait until you actually buy a sig and put a short reset trigger on it
>>
>>29165969

But if your weapon can only do 4 MoA, youre not going to one hole at 25 yards.

Recoil is a thing. Some weapons handle recoild better than others.
>>
>>29165898
minus scandium frames, snubs and hot cartridges right. nevermind top heavy bitchs like sigs and cougars or full steel 4-6 guns loaded to major power factors right
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.