[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
During a proper magazine explosion on a battleship/cruiser, will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: deadsnail.jpg (91 KB, 720x512) Image search: [Google]
deadsnail.jpg
91 KB, 720x512
During a proper magazine explosion on a battleship/cruiser, will the turret fly up in the air like a tank turret or will the volume of explosives in the magazine below simply blow it into shards and fuck everyone in the superstructure adjacent to the turret itself?
>>
>>29163729
a tank turret is not like a ships gun turret
>>
>>29163785

Well yeah, the ship turret simply rests on the bearings and stays in place via weight, the tank turret is more firmly attached.
>>
>>29163845
if you "ammo rack" a ship, the explosion would occur inside the turret, so it can't be blown out of popped off like a tank turret, however, the cap of the ships turret could be blown off, but unlikely considering the relative small amount of ammo that is inside, and which would be needed to propel that amount of weight off the ship
>>
>>29163729

Is that a WWII Era turret?
>>
File: 1449835790060.jpg (406 KB, 1240x1754) Image search: [Google]
1449835790060.jpg
406 KB, 1240x1754
>>29163729
Battleship turret is
A. Too heavy
B. Not designed in the same way.

RIP mucchan, you were a good girl
>>
>>29164043

So would the turret likely just fall thru the deck and into the water after all the cordite blows out the bulkhead and hull's integrity?
>>
>>29163729
they wouldnt fly out of the ship completely. but I think i read that the turrets lifted out of its barbette on a ship in some battle, by a partial/slow magazine deflagration.
Might have been gneisenau or something
>>
>>29163933
powder and ammo storage is not within the turret, but outside the barbette down in the hull. would probably blow a hole in the ship before moving the turret completely out of the ship
>>
>>29164064
No, the explosion would blow out the sides and probably cut the ship in half
>>
>>29164064
Just look into the fate of capital ships that have suffered magazine explosions in the past.
HMS Inflexible suffered a penetrating hit on it's 'Q' turret and the initial detonation of ready ammunition blew the turret roof off, in this case the turret remained in it's barbette and the roof failed. It didn't matter as a chain reaction started and Invincible suffered a magazine detonation which blew the ship in half.

HMS Indefatigable suffered a magazine explosion but that one appears to be caused by direct impact rather than a chain reaction, the turret remained in it's barbette but the hull was compromised and the ship sank rapidly.

Usually something else will fail before the turret is blown clear of it's barbette but in just about every instance the damage is so catastrophic to the vessel that it doesn't really matter.
>>
File: USS Arizona.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
USS Arizona.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
Model of the sunk Arizona. Turrets remained on the barbettes and were removed in salvage. Hull blew out and decks collapsed.
>>
>>29164363
Hull blew out above torpedo belting.
>>
Generally, how better armoured are the magazine compartments than the rest of the ship?
>>
>>29164312
Don't forget USS Iowa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qalJ9koob2Q
>>
>>29163729
The magazine is usually way at the bottom of the ship while the turrets are up on the deck. The powder and shell elevators aren't big enough for that.

Typically, a magazine explosion tears the belly of a ship clear out. The ship then capsized and the weight of the turrets rips them from the mountings.
>>
File: illustr_iowa_interior_large[1].jpg (107 KB, 1500x519) Image search: [Google]
illustr_iowa_interior_large[1].jpg
107 KB, 1500x519
>>29164959
the turret structure goes all the way down to the bottom of the barbettes. to the lower decks
>>
>>29163729

The answer is mostly no.

Any detonation in the turret is only the ammo and powder being loaded at the moment. It will wreck the turret, but it won't throw the turret off because a couple hundred pounds of powder will not throw off a 1000 ton+ turret.

The magazines are all located below the waterline, the path of least resistance there is going downwards and blowing out the hull.
>>
>>29164653
about the same as the rest of the citadell. some ships had a little thicker deck armor above the magazines and around the turrets
>>
>>29163729
>>29164082
yeah it was gneisenau
from navweaps
"In Gneisenau, turret Anton was uplifted a few feet before magazine flooding put out the deflagration.11 In Tirpitz, turret Caesar was actually blown overboard.3*"

http://www.navweaps.com/index_inro/INRO_Bismarck_p2.htm
>>
>>29165049

That's for Euro ships, IJN and USN had considerably tougher turrets than the rest of the ship.
>>
>>29165187
the magazines have nothing to do with the turret armor. not even the barbettes,
its only a few ready shells that are protected by the barbette
>>
>>29164312
>all those ships names

Seriously, lets just make a ship named Sinkable...

It will never be bested.
>>
>>29164814
It's amazing to me that there were 47 people in those turrets.
>>
>>29165595
ships are so fucking crammed with people. I dont envy those sailors. and if it goes down in battle, practically everyone is dead
>>
Reports from HMS Prince of Wales said one of the HMS Hood's turrets flew off when she exploded.
But that's honestly the only account I've heard of it happening. Only times the turrets usually came off was when the ship capsized.
>>
File: 1449489867508.png (341 KB, 609x1000) Image search: [Google]
1449489867508.png
341 KB, 609x1000
>>29164064
Depending on where the explosion took place and how big it was, different things might happen. Can you clarify?
>>
>>29163977
X Turret from Mutsu, you can see then entire barbette on the left, with the turret lying on its left side.
>>
File: 1457129809815.jpg (179 KB, 1600x1085) Image search: [Google]
1457129809815.jpg
179 KB, 1600x1085
>>29168336
>>
>>29165304
I think as long as nobody's dumb enough to name their ship Odyssey we'll be okay.
>>
>>29165187
>>29165223
I should point out that the magazine armor tended to be much thicker than the turret armor.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.