[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was thinking about how simple the basic AR design is, and it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 1384058602834.jpg (231 KB, 1023x678) Image search: [Google]
1384058602834.jpg
231 KB, 1023x678
I was thinking about how simple the basic AR design is, and it got me thinking - why did it take so long for the AR to be developed? I can go into my garage with the plans and probably fabricate an AR with some time and effort with only hand tools and a lathe - what stopped people like John Browning from doing the same? Were they simply not as intelligent as we are in the current day? The design is dead simple, no fancy electronics or any of that shit.

I don't get why we talk about these old timers like they're amazing for inventing obsolete/outdated weapons, when they were easily capable of making an AR-15 at their workshop back in the day. They just didn't seem to possess the requisite intelligence.
>>
was no need for a .223 firing long gun in 1911
>>
>>29157522
that's only because they didn't understand the concept of hydrostatic shock that the .223 possesses which makes it lethal
>>
The technology behind materials and tooling has increased like crazy in a few years.
>>
>>29157510
>WW2 M1 Garand
holy shit this thing is the best goddamn
>1959 M14
it's based off the M1 Garand therefore it has to be even more awesome right?
>1962 M16
okay the M14 sucked and now we're here
>>
>>29157510
Things are easy once you have a plan to make them. Designing these things from a blank slate, however, is not.
>>
Machining was cruder and they didn't have good plastics.
>>
>>29157510
metallurgy, dipshit. stupid motherufcker
>>
Mindset.

Stoner was an aircraft engineer that applied his aviation knowledge to making a rifle, if memory serves. There's just no way Browning could have done that, or anyone else before the widespread knowledge of aviation technology.

I like how the Abrams uses a turbine engine, too. Murica, using our aviation experience to create crazy contraptions.
>>
File: image.png (361 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
image.png
361 KB, 500x490
Assuming that the militarys current primary focus is on a rifle that already works and not of missiles and long range WMDs
>>
>>29157510

Because that's how human knowledge works you stupid shit. It's like asking
>hurdur why didn't cavemen just invent steel

I can literally go forge a sword in my backyard right now. I know how to get iron, I know how to make a forge, I know how to make a bellows, I know how to heat treat it, hell, knapping flint is legitimately harder than smithing. We can totally skip the goddamn bronze age. Hell we can go straight to the industrial revolution if you give me some time, I know how the Bessemer process works.

You can only make that retarded abortion of an AR because you understand all the technology going into it, because someone else did the hard part, imagining it when it simply didn't exist and then creating it.
>>
>>29157510
>I can go into my garage with the plans

Link me those plans, bro.
>>
If Browning had "the plans", could he make an M4?
>>
>>29157713
He could probably make the closest thing the materials science of his time would allow.

But yes, I believe that he could.
>>
>>29157741

1920s ARs milled from solid steel forgings and wood or possibly bakelite furniture would be awesome.
>>
john browning could maybe pump out a few of them in a few months. the issue is that we were unable to mass produce guns with such high tolerances and complex parts in any manner, much less in a cost-effective one. that, and ammunition has only gotten cheaper to produce as manufacturing processes get more efficient and tooling becomes more readily available.

lots of tooling is also why the AR-15 is so affordable these days. we forced it into our military with no lube or pillow, and after much distress, it has surpassed the AK in ease of manufacture.
>>
You are honestly too stupid to deserve an explanation as to why you're so fucking thick.
>planes are simple how come Romans didn't make them hurrrre durrrr
>>
File: m1-carbine_003[1].jpg (41 KB, 650x367) Image search: [Google]
m1-carbine_003[1].jpg
41 KB, 650x367
>>29157713
>>29157741
>>29157751
>>29157762

Just slap some rails on the M1 carbine.

Already has 3/4 the muzzle energy of 5.56.
>>
>>29159385
It's also not very versatile, not very modular, too weak, even with the extra 1/4 power, 5.56 is still too weak, and the ar15 was made with optics in mind, again with the modularity thing.
>>
>>29157536
This, OP, go back to 1900 with no knowledge of the AR-15 existing and build it from the ground up.

You're right, it is a simple design, but so was the wheel, and that wasn't invented until 3500BC.
>>
>>29157529
1/10 I replied
>>
>>29157510

It's called R&D

And technological maturity, miniaturization, Efficiency factoring.

You figure out how it works, then you perfect it as best is reasonable, then you destill it down to the most common denomination, and if you're lucky some tard down the road takes a look at it all from a new perspective, and subsequently finds a better way of doing things.

Also.
>AR SMG
>Not in something other then 556/223

Why not .300BLK with a compensator?
>>
>>29157529
this is the most newfaggot post I've seen in a couple weeks.
>>
OP, why didnt you invent the inter-dimensional travel cube? Are you more retarded than your great great grandson? I mean holy shit, I could go into my garage and build three time machines right now with a lathe and a couple of flux capacitors and bixnoods. Fucking moron.
>>
>>29159522
pretty sure we had the wheel before that
>>
>>29162759
who's 'we' faggot you didn't contribute to it
>>
File: SA9121CA_3.jpg (650 KB, 1600x2100) Image search: [Google]
SA9121CA_3.jpg
650 KB, 1600x2100
>>29157531
>260 British designed back in 50's in a bullpup
Americans and germans
>NO! you must standardise on 7.62 for 260 is too small
>7.62 20 years later is considered too big for a general rifle
>you must now all standardise on 5.56
>uhh, we might just keep our 7.62 seeming we spent so much money on them for you guys
>NO 5.56 is superior in everyway! You must stamdardise or we will stop trade with you!
>fuck you fine, *L85 is born*

Present day
Murica "we need something in between 7.62 and 5.56"

>260 brit in the em2 was designed in the 50's
>so was 7.62x39
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.