[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>want to buy my first handgun >ten million different varieties
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: 1332726896685.jpg (119 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1332726896685.jpg
119 KB, 500x500
>want to buy my first handgun
>ten million different varieties
>sticky shows 15 or so handguns but doesn't say what's different about them or why they're recommended
I'm clearly too retarded to own a handgun. Pic not related
>>
File: muh glock.jpg (241 KB, 1200x1188) Image search: [Google]
muh glock.jpg
241 KB, 1200x1188
glock 19
>>
>>29152124
but why
and how do i know if my local gun shop is ripping me off or not?
>>
>>29152109
I'd highly recommend the plasma cutter. Yeah it's decent, but that's barebones. Enough mods will have you dropping those filthy dindu-necros left and right
>>
>>29152142
Because it's reliable.

You do that by looking at the prices of other retailers in order to determine the current market value, and then comparing your lgs price to that number. Same as any other product.
>>
File: 1389496650577.jpg (2 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
1389496650577.jpg
2 MB, 3456x2304
>>29152154
>plasma cutter
>not javelin gun with flamethrower backup
you think a plasma cutter has any real stopping power?
>>
>>29152142
Because the Glock 19 is pretty much the entry level standard for concealable hanguns. They're stupid simple and they have a huge aftermarket in parts and magazines which is aways a bonus. It does you no good to buy an exotic boutique gun for your firsty.

Consider the S&W M&P Shield, too. They're pretty fucking solid.

>>29152154
>Recommending mining equipment for personal defense
>Necromorphs

Necromorphs don't real, they should lock you up in the loony bin with Isaac.
>>
>>29152244
>>29152124
>>29152228
What's all this about "generations" and how important is that?
>>
>>29152290
Different generations of Glocks with different features and sometimes different ergos. I'm not really an expert on that, maybe someone else can chime in.

Some people think that with different gens came better or worse quality control, too. I dunno, I have a Glock 17 Gen 4 and haven't really had any problems with it. Buddy of mine swears Gen 3 Glock was the best Glock ever made, but he's also of the impression I should trash it and pick up a Cz.
>>
>>29152109
Just go to a gun store and tell them you're interested in a handgun but don't know what you want. They should let you handle a few to better understand the weight, balance, and feel of them.

Also you're going to regret your first gun. It doesn't matter if it's perfect for you, a week later you're going to be like "fuck maybe I should have gone for the other option instead". Just suck it up, get proficient in your new gun, and use what you've learned for the next one.
>>
>>29152364
>Also you're going to regret your first gun. It doesn't matter if it's perfect for you, a week later you're going to be like "fuck maybe I should have gone for the other option instead". Just suck it up, get proficient in your new gun, and use what you've learned for the next one.

What? That's retarded, no he won't. You have sound advice in the first half of your post, though.

Go hold a bunch of guns, OP, find one that feels good, train on it, then you can branch off into other guns later if that's your thing.
>>
>>29152142
You google prices and find the average price.you should have learned how to do that in high school.
>>
>>29152230
why no reticle?
>>
>>29152109
>>29152364
>>29152371
OP should also not neglect the opportunity offered by renting firearms at ranges. It can cost you more money, of course, but if you're truly worried about getting the gun you want, then its a good way to test out ones you might be interested in.
>>
>>29152109
If you have a rental range near you go over there and try out some of the more popular options.

Diversify it too, try one in 9mm, one in .40 s&w, one in 45 acp, hell, maybe even a .357 magnum.

Figure out which of these calibers you like the most, figure out which handguns in that caliber are decent and within your price point, go to a few gunshops and finger fuck them to get a feel for the weight and grip.

Eventually you'll figure out what you want.
>>
>>29152406
It's better to spend a bit of money to figure out what you really want than it is to spend a lot of money to get something you're not happy with.
>>
>>29152109

>buy gun
>you might be happy with it, you might not
>you're always going to change your mind on what you want
>what you like
>you'll get tired of your gun
>you'll always want new, or different guns
>it will never stop
>you will never REALLY have what you want
>because you will always want what you don't have and can't afford
>every gun you ever own will be called a piece of shit and you'll be ridiculed not matter your choices

welcome to hell you /k/unt
>>
>>29152371
Different anon responding. It's pretty hard to know what feels good when you walk in cold and just finger a few handguns. I get the impression OP hasn't shot many, so he won't know what comfortable ergo feels like.

Also, I don't entirely trust sales people. Got a manufacturers spiff for selling ruger revolvers? Best first gun is suddenly the ruger revolver. I mean it's simple to maintain and it feels good in your hand right anon?
>>
>>29152405
Low DOF from Open Apeture on the camera. Testicles are hard as fuck to make look nice on camera.
>>
>>29152109
What do you want your handgun for? Conceal carry? Home defense?
>>
>>29152443
True story
>>
>>29152397
Yeah, but unlike a lot of products, sites that sell guns seen to be mainly auction focused, and as a new buyer I don't know offhand if a used gun is a good deal or not. For example, https://www.gunsamerica.com/985618786/Glock-19-Gen-3-LE-Trade-9mm-w-2-15rd-Magazines.htm seems solid, and well priced, but for all I know it's relatively inexpensive because it'll fall apart or something.
>>29152440
Bah, I've been on 4chan long enough to hate myself, adding this board to my list won't change anything.
>>29152446
Target shooting mainly but also home defense.
>>
>>29152230
>stopping power
>shooting the chest like a filthy casual
>not plasma cutting them limb from limb
>>
>>29152440
are you talking about your wife now?
>>
>>29152465
It looks like a pretty good deal, if there's anything wrong with it then it would be a fairly minor thing like the spring or something that could be replaced for very little money (especially considering it's a glock, the aftermarket is huge for them)
>>
>>29152443
It's hard to make them look nice in general.

The upkeep alone can be insanity, especially if you stretch them out enough to shave effectively.
>>
>>29152465
>Target shooting mainly but also home defense.

Full size definitely 4.5"+ barrel. will be more enjoyable to learn on, more forgiving mistake-wise.

Consider brands that offer caliber conversion slides such as .22 - can save fuckton of money while still shooting the same gun. Glock and Tanfoglio are a couple mfgr, Tanf. Witness frames will handles everything 10mm, 9mm, 380acp, 45, .22, and are a lot cheaper than Glock
>>
File: 1445199547568.png (65 KB, 285x276) Image search: [Google]
1445199547568.png
65 KB, 285x276
>>29152154
>tfw you bought a flamethrower for your first weapon
>>
>>29152465
What's a plus is most LE glocks have those plastic sights removed and have tritiums or metal sights at the least.

New glocks go for $500 and you need to spend an extra $40 or $120 for sights and that's not taking the sight tool cost into account.
>>
>>29152650
the flamethrower was tits in 2
>>
>>29152650
The force gun was a funny way to physics an enemy to death w/o actually aiming or cutting limbs.
>>
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/robert-farago/three-first-carry-gun-essentials-guns-for-beginners/

tl;dr glawk brand glawk
or lcr
>>
>>29152669
A little googling makes me think the sights in the gun I linked are tritium sights but I'm not sure. Are they?
>>
>>29152124
second or 17 don't care, that or berrata 92
>>
>>29152764
They very well could be. Chances are, the tritium vials may be dim or even dead. I bought a police trade in p226 last year and it came with extremely dim sights.

If you're set on getting a glock 19, that would be a decent deal. Personally, I'm waiting for when aimsurplus gets gen 2's for $350 in. That's if they do.
>>
White sites are good for buying extras for guns, like magazines? I don't mind if they're used.
>>
>>29155053
I'm gonna try step away from the usual 3 word response, but unless you have your heart set on .40, consider a 9. It's just an overall better round for new shooters.

>cheaper
You can get more rounds down range and more practice in for the same price.
>lighter recoil
It's easier to be accurate with, especially for new shooters. A loud bang and sharp recoil affect how you approach the trigger pull.
>variety
Pretty much everyone makes a 9.

I'd recommend a G19 since you've already shot the 17.
>>
File: pulse rifle.jpg (11 KB, 444x245) Image search: [Google]
pulse rifle.jpg
11 KB, 444x245
>>29152485

>Dead Space
>shooting the necromorphs in the chest is supposed to be useless
>pulse rifles are worthless in canon
>It's still the best fucking weapon in the game

pew pew
>>
>>29155356
pretty good in 2's multiplayer, but bad in 1
>>
Why does no one ever suggest Ruger pistols? You can get them cheap usually and they are solid guns. I picked up a P90 ages ago and its like a highly modernized 1911 with ambidextrous safety/decocker and traditional DA.
>>
>>29152650
You didn't make your own.
>>
>>29152109
personally I prefer something with a hammer in DA/SA, made by H&K or FN.

Though when going for my carry gun I take my sheild more than any other over my USPc, VP 9 or my FNS-9 Compact, Ive taken out some full size one for fun but not normally, since its a pain in the ass to carry a S&W 629
>>
>>29153415
>gregcotellc
>44mag
>numrich parts
>slickguns
>>
Glock 19 is generally the best starter pistol.

If you want to be a special snowflake, get a Steyr M9A1. It's pretty much a Glock 19 except better. It's literally the most underrated polymer pistol on the market.

If you want to buy one gun that will pretty much do everything, save a bit and shop around until you find a .44 Dan Wesson with a barrel kit. If you get the longest barrel tapped for scopes, that gun will do everything from CC to hunting grizzlies.
>>
>>29158700
>>29152716
>>29152420
>>29152406
>>29152124
Okay, glock 19 sounds like the clear winner, but I will head to the range and rent a few (including the glock) to see what feels the best. Thanks guys.
>>29156331
I'll try it.
>>29158514
Thanks!
>>
OP

Just go to the store. Look at GLAWKS, if they are new for $400-$500, you're getting a good deal. Used should be no more than $350.

A used Glock in 9mm is probably the best starter handgun. They are good guns, and usually not super expensive. And ammo is cheaper.
>>
>>29155356
Honestly, I used the Javelin gun because its the most fun.
>>
>>29160221
>pinning niggas to walls just to watch them do the electric jig
>shooting javs into the ground and zapping entire groups
>learning acupuncture for the big boys
My man.
>>
>>29152109
>>29152109

Goto a gunstore.

Fingerfuck the gun.

Keep things in mind while examining it, question the clerk on it's reliability overall, feeding problems.

Imagine the worst shit you'll be in and have to use the gun, how easily would you be able to actuate the various critical components of the gun in order to utilize it.

Safety, decocker, slide racking.

>Bought a Px4 'cause I'm all for supporting guns they try different shit (Rolling block barrel)
>End up realizing I fucking love the feel and ergonomics of a simple 1911, and it's overall functionality
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.