[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to not feel guilty/sperg about sword collecting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: 1443409197086.jpg (189 KB, 846x846) Image search: [Google]
1443409197086.jpg
189 KB, 846x846
I don't have swords/axes, but I do have an interest in them. But I can't help but feel neckbeardy when I browse for them.
>>
It is only neckbeard to think they are a substitute for a firearm as a weapon.
>>
Same here m8
And I have a neckbeard, but I hate being a cliché
>>
>>29135296
That depends.
Do you, for any reason, think they have any place on a modern battlefield?
>>
>>29135304
No, but I wouldn't mind taking a blade or axe innawoods to fuck around with.
>>29135301
>substitute for a firearm as a weapon.
Unironically, this may be an option since I live in a country where using a firearm for self-defence can potentially throw you in jail.
>>
1: who cares what other people think. they're cunts.

2: appreciate them for the history and the craftsmanship.

3: the sword has gone the way of the chariot. you're never going to use a sword in battle. its not a weapon that's applicable today. Accept and understand that.

3b: if you do get a blunt sword, to do HEMA, Kendo, or 101 other sword schools, remember point 3. Also remember we do it for fun.

Frankly, I find sparring with someone learning german longsword to be vastly more enjoyable a day than going to a shooting range. But I know exactly which one I'd do if the imaginary "SHTF" took place... and its not the one I find more fun. Fortunately, I'm not some delusional fantasist, so I know fine well there will not be a "SHTF" moment.

4: never go on about "warrior culture" or any of that shit.

5: avoid modern "tactical" swords and the likes like the plague.
>>
>>29135311
And hitting someone in the dome with a sword can't land you in the crowbar motel?
>>
>>29135418
Can be argued to not be AS excessive force.
>>
>>29135452
Gun requires minimal effort.

Cleaving skulls in twain requires commitment.

I feel bad for you, in wherever you live.

But, may you cleave skulls and dance away from the courts...
>>
>>29135416
This guy's got it down pat. As long as you don't act like a stereotype, people generally won't perceive you as one.
>>
>>29135418
Here in Cuckyurop if you want to invoke self defense, the force you use has to be "proportionate", meaning you could get in trouble if you magdump a sandnigger's ass if he was only threatening you with a fork, per exemple
>>
>>29135296
If you made your own shit out of railroad spikes that'd actually be kinda cool
>>
>>29135296
I have a custom made longsword, but i bought it just because i have always wanted one. Thinking it's a viable weapon is autistic beyond belief
>>
I'd carry an axe into battle. I'd bring a rifle too but you can't ignore the axe as a tool.

>Inb4 here's Johnny
>>
>>29137011
How much does a decent one cost, assuming you can cut with it.
>>
>>29139007
what's "decent" depends on your standards.

I'll assume dollars, but euros or pounds, about the same sort of numbers.
anything under $100, its total shit, a wallhangar that's not for use, not even safe to swing. Under $200, its probably still shit, it might just be slightly better made and less likely to fall apart.

above $200, you start getting passable kit. by about $350, you should be getting swords that are good enough to use for cutting training, etc - they have carbon steel blades, properly heat-treated, and hilt parts aren't cast in potmetal.

Beyond there, its a case of diminishing returns. a $450-500 sword is a BIG improvement on a $300 one, in terms of quality of casting, detail, etc. A $750 one however, isnt as big an improvement over a $500 sword in turn. and so on. by the time you go over $1000, you're pretty much paying for brand and for details, rather than quality itself - anything over 1K will be pretty damn good.

Above 1.5K, you start getting into the territory of custom smiths, making one-off swords. There's a big range, though. someone like angus trim makes great, tough cutters, which are milled out on CNC machines, but they're not really "medieval". they have subtle faults in the design, because they're made on machines. there's no "life" to it. the more you pay, generally, you will get more and more accurate swords. you'll get smiths who travel to museums and catalogue originals, you get hand-worked details, forgings and inlays, all the little details that make the blades right. A good European smith, you're looking at $3000-6000 for the best. for Japanese, 4000+, up as high as you can pay. Japanese smiths are limited in the amount they may produce by law, and need to be authorised, so as a result, they've made a restricted market that they exploit to ensure that the best smiths are asking 10, even 20,000 for a sword. Fortunately, there's no such cartel in European markets.
>>
>>29135303
>And I have a neckbeard
why....?
>>
>>29140739
some people are born with horrible disabilities they must overcome.
>>
>>29141253
It's not that hard to overcome a neckbeard

I did it in like 3 minutes
>>
>>29141273
I love the whooshing sound a joke makes as it goes flying overhead.
>>
>>29135489
Would I have to pull out my own fork then?
>>
>>29142386
Fork or a spoon, maybe a spork if he's a big guy

Just don't draw a butterknife if you want to stay out of prison
>>
How does /k/ think of the possible usage of sabres in the modern day?
Possible/not?
>>
>>29142579
If the other person doesn't have a gun, yeah they're useful. Like some guy in britland who fought off a guy who broke into his house holding a club of some sort.

The britbong had a blunt sabre and won
>>
>>29139007

Depends on if you want forged or machined. I can machine you a custom blade with proper heat treat on a fancy crucible steel not too badly, but if you want a master smith to hammer out a sword for you to perfection, its not gonna be cheap.
>>
>>29135296
Clearly, you like others here have a serious psychological problem: you actually give a shit what others think, and are enslaved by it. Grow a spine, be free, and like what you like.
>>
Collecting swords is gay.

But collecting a $20,000 katana hand-forged by a traditional Japanese master smith is awesome.
>>
>>29143509
What if I want to collect antique sabres ranging in prices of $100-$1000 depending on the condition, maker, pattern, and status of the sword?
>>
>>29135296
if you have a badass historical collection it's pretty baller. it's only spergy if you have some china made shit. I know a cop who has a sizeable collection of historically accurate swords and armor, and even a historically themed room to keep them all in.
>>
File: 1860.jpg (173 KB, 1057x301) Image search: [Google]
1860.jpg
173 KB, 1057x301
>$220

I really want to pick it up
>>
>>29143569
What is a historical collection? Aren't most of them corrorded af anyways?
>>
>>29135296
I'd collect swords if I could collect a matching armor set for it as well and have it all in a neat display case.

I think the neck beard arises when you collect mostly Japanese swords or actually swing your swords around to try to look cool in front of a camera.
>>
>>29144829
Get ones that were foraged in authentic ways modeled after museum pieces, not stamped out on a press in China.
>>
File: Armor.png (55 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Armor.png
55 KB, 250x250
>>29145418
Like this but behind glass. Have a small collection of 3 or 4.
>>
Any legalities you guys can think of in regards to bringing one innawoods to hack at stuff with a sword? I don't have enough room in my apartment.
>>
>>29145442
That's expensive man.
>>
>>29146173
If you can't swing a blade around in the woods, I weep for you. I think even the Bongs can swing shit around innawoods without worrying about legalities.

>I think.
>I sure hope I'm not wrong.
>>
>>29135296
Are you
>in okay shape
>familiar with the rules of basic hygiene
>able to dress yourself like a normal human being
>not autistic as fuck

If all those answers are yes you may pursue any hobby without feeling like a neckbeard.
>>
File: capwell-run.webm (2 MB, 794x472) Image search: [Google]
capwell-run.webm
2 MB, 794x472
>>29146376

if its blunts, its legal to have a bunch of people practising in a park or public space, fairly common too... if it's a one off thing, just call police in advance to ensure they know, before some interfering granny calls complaining.

I know several hema groups who train outdoors in summer in public spaces, many more reenactment groups who do too. Wave a sword around in a park, and interfering busybodies will protest. Dress up in something weird from the Xth century, and wave a sword around, and it becomes a perfectly respectable activity in the same interfering busybodies' eyes... Make sense of that if you will.
Same with putting a fencing mask on. suddenly it goes from being "dangerous maniac with weapon!!!" in their eyes to "perfectly respectable hobby being done."

sharps arent generally permitted in public, so you'd have to be an idiot to carry that about generally. So, that means private transport, out of sight (ie, in a carry case in the trunk of the car, not on your hip, on the bus). if you were to use one in a park, then you'd be expected to have safety measures - so, cordoned off area, a spotter at each corner to yell halt if someone's toddler comes running up to see what's going on. As long as you have a valid reason - ie: "yes officer, we're practising for a martial arts demonstration at the local museum next week, as you see, we've taken appropriate safety measures" not "we wanna chop some shit up here!", you'd be fine even if someone does object.
Common sense conditions, really. In a woods where no-one goes, I'd say having the spotter still present is sensible, but less so. depends on what the location is, really. some woods will be people out for a walk, some will be desolate.

otherwise, nothing to particularly stop it being done.

Vid clip related. A museum curator in full armour, with sword - filmed in the woods out the back of the public parkland the museum he curated for was on, here in the UK.
>>
>>29135416
Some of the more sturdy 'tactical' swords have use as a cheap toy.

Many people understandably don't want to damage a good quality reproduction by cutting stuff with it.
>>
File: albion senlac.jpg (21 KB, 118x562) Image search: [Google]
albion senlac.jpg
21 KB, 118x562
If you get embarrassed about owning one in front of somebody, just say that you appreciate the history and the craftsmanship of swords.

t: proud owner of an Albion Senlac.
>>
>>29142579
Depends on the context.

For home defence I would say a cutlass/hanger is better since you are less likely to run into length problems indoors but it still has more reach than an average crowbar or a knife.

>>29146376
You need a 'valid reason' to walk around in public with it but if you drive to the woods and play around away from the car park/busy paths I doubt anybody would care. The rangers might not be happy if its a park and you go around cutting up trees obviously.

As for OP, don't care about what people think. If you find swords interesting then do it.
>>
>>29149643
I've been interested in Albion after watching Skallagrim's reviews. But i've held off on getting one. What do you usually do with yours?
>inb4 look at it, and wipe it down occasionally
>>
>>29135296
If you shell out and buy actual historical pieces instead of sheet metal garbage is understandable and cool. People who have dozens of $20 swords that are found at pawn shops are fuckin weird.
>>
>>29135296

Swords and other weapons are patrician, chinashit fake swords are neckbeard.

I doubt you can collect 2k&up swords though
>>
My best sword is a $400 longsword from darksword armory. It just hangs on my wall and looks cool.
>>
File: Klingbeil p18-19.jpg (888 KB, 2552x1600) Image search: [Google]
Klingbeil p18-19.jpg
888 KB, 2552x1600
>>29149684
>I doubt you can collect 2k&up swords though

some people do....

all these armours were just one guy's collection of antiques for example.
>>
>>29149666
>What do you usually do with yours?
Nothing. I just hold it and maintain it occasionally. I really need to find a safe place where I can put it on display and out of reach of my one year old daughter.
>>
>>29149717
>you've come to the wrong realm, peasant
>>
>>29137459
A battle axe and tool axe are completely different things, they can't be both.
>>
>>29149554
Bong martial artist here and this is pretty accurate, but your mileage may vary. I use my blunts in the park without issue, but one of my friends did get armed response called on him.
>>
Might as well make this a HEMA thing then lol. Is HEMA expensive to get into? I figure it might be a good therapeutic activity to look at.
>>
File: Fencing Fencers.jpg (19 KB, 540x388) Image search: [Google]
Fencing Fencers.jpg
19 KB, 540x388
>>29151590
will cost you about 300 £/$/groats/shekels.

a decent mask (get a Leon Paul 1600N, or if you have spare cash, look at thier new HEMA one), a pair of gloves (trust me, you NEVER want to borrow the club gloves, takes a week to get the stink out of your hands.... you might want a cup too, ask your club.

then get a nylon waster, from Rawlings, or a similar maker.

later on, you might get a feder from Regenyei, Ensifer, etc, but you certainly dont need it.

to take it really seriously, it costs lots more, but that's the case of all sports. you can get into gold for the same money, or you can spend a tonne on clubs. same goes for Konig gloves, custom swords, etc.

but the basic kit, mask gloves, a training sword, will easily leave you with change from 300, probably 200.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.