[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important is Cyber Warfare? How does the U.S Cyber capability
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5
How important is Cyber Warfare?

How does the U.S Cyber capability compares to China and Russia?
>>
>>29133601
To be honest with you mate, I've never learned anything about cyber warfare on /k/ in my years here. I would try and get ahold of someone in the military that does this shit.
>>
Watched a Ted Talk a few months back about Stuxnet.. Dude pretty much said only the U.S could have done it and there's one clear cyber super power..
>>
>>29133601
>How important is Cyber Warfare?
I took part in a Northrop sponsored netsec program in high school, got to go against a USAF red team.

they will rape your economy and everything you love
>>
>>29133601
>How does the U.S Cyber capability compares to China and Russia?
Its different.

In Russia, China, Iran ,etc you have groups of non government actors who are motivated to attack US computer systems. The governments of these countries allow and even support these cyber actors.

US cyber is pretty lax compared to the rest mainly because we lack the constant noise from non gov hackers to conceal our larger operations.

t. Cyber Security guy
>>
>>29133601
Very. It's not a matter of if we will be attacked, it's a matter of when will we face the consequences of an attack.
>>
How impressive is the Chinese cyberwarfare?

How can the US cyberwarfare even hope to compare?
>>
>>29134739
China can't even get their shit together as a country. The fact that we found out about their hacking means they fucked up. You'll rarely, if ever, hear about Russia attacking the US.
>>
>>29134809
I heard Russins hacked WoT. But I haven't heard much about Chinese hackers except what America says so. I'd say China has best hackers and second goes to Isreal.
>>
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/02/29/us-troops-to-take-more-active-role-in-mosul-offensive-dunford.html

>Carter said that U.S. cyber attacks on the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) would be a major part of the operation to disrupt the group's "command and control, to cause them to lose confidence in their networks, to overload their network so that they can't function, and do all of these things that will interrupt their ability to command and control forces there, control the population and the economy."
>>

It's how nation-states are fighting right this fucking second
>>
The real question is are those assholes going to compensate Americans for the viruses they spread?

Anyone recall the military releasing millions of mosquitoes in Georgia or something?

Did they ever compensate anyone for it?

This country is bullshit.
>>
>>29134082
I thought Stuxnet was assumed to be Israeli made?
>>
>>29135326

If America is being blamed for it odds are the Jews did it.

Has anyone considered that 9/11 wasn't an attack on America, it was an attack on the Jews? New York has a ridiculously high concentration of Jews compared to the rest of the country, and the financial sector is pretty much controlled by Jews. Maybe the Jews were using American assets to fuck with Arabs?

I kinda feel that the UN, NATO, and Israel are all taking advantage of Americans and screwing them over.
>>
>>29135326
Israeli made and made in Israel/For Israel are different
>>
>>29134082
Ted Talks are like referencing Wikipedia.
>>
>>29133601
Its Very Important

U.S BTFO China And Russia in Cyber Capability.

"Chinese Hackers" While they exist are blown way out of proportion my the media.

The most "hacking" the Chinese involve auto scanning ssh brute-force bots, VOIP System Exploits and DDoS Because every fucking computer in china is a exploited XP machine.

My work is in Cyber Security.

Some Cyber Security Contractors were sick of their servers running SSH getting blasted with thousands of login attempts from china. So they set up a honeypot server and In two days mapped out and had access to hundreds of Chinese hackers boxes via infected PDF files made to look like Aerospace company documents. Word got around they were doing that and higher ups made them stop or they would revoke security clearances.

Stuxnet is so sophisticated that it was 100% United States. The only thing Israel probably did was have their agent stick the USB drive they got form the US into an Iranian computer
>>
Georgians hacked US GPS during Russin war.
>>
>>29134809
Unless you control the domain, even the best hackers leave a trace.
>>
>>29135309
Or, you know, they could just ask twitter to shut their islamists down.

We've been fighting in Iraq for two years now. When is ISIS going to lose?
>>
>>29136491
That sure helped when 21 million records (including my own) got hacked and stolen last year.
>>
>>29136659
OPM's mismanagement of their shitty computer systems =/= The Capability of NSA and DARPA projects
>>
We should weaponized cockroaches to the highest intellectual point where they can sneak into high buildings and steal cyber info on whatever the enemies are working on and since cockroaches are known for their ease of getting through small cracks they will be equipped with recorcers and Bluetooth connectivity to correct theor directive orders so they don't go rogue!

This would be the ultimate weapon of mass destruction because the enemies will never suspect a cockroach to know how to hack into a computer hardware within the system and once the beautiful cockroaches have achieved their goal of the mission their biological agent will be released which is a pheromones that causes the enemies to violently vomit and have extreme explosive diarrhea to the point they are shittinf unprocessed breakfast out of their destroyed rectums and once this ordeal is over the last sequence will cause the enemies to return to their homes and trash their own homes up and make it so disgusting and so trashy that new sweet beautiful cockroaches will emerge from within their own apartments and thus the beginning of the cockroach march will begin hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>get a bunch of thumb drives
>put leet hax on them that will call home when plugged in
>drop them around the buildings owned by the people you want to hax
>wait
>>
The US has been doing it longer and better than anyone else, we invented the internet. They will destroy everything you love, and there will be no way to prove it was them. -cyber security guy
>>
>>29136711
>thousands of random Chink hackers in their 200 sq ft shoebox on their Bungwao 300
>Chinese state cyber hacking squad
>>
>>29136760
Wow that's a lot of sources you posted there!
>>
>>29136727
Silence discount ant man.
>>
>>29136771
calling him a discount ant man is trivializing ant man himself

he's just some stupid fucking 12 year old who thinks he can put 'hahahahahaha!' at the end of some stupid shit about cockroaches, and be anything like ant man

ant man killed small animals brutally for fun, and posted shitloads of pictures. until that faggot uploads pics of rodents being eaten alive by ants in his 'lair', he'll just be another retarded tripfaggot trying to be edgy and cool
>>
>>29136760
The UK invented the Internet....
>>
>>29136822
ARPANET was invented in the US
>>
>>29136829
>I can't read
>>
>>29136848
link me one valid fucking source that the internet was invented in the UK
ARPANET is the precursor the the internet as we know it today, and was one of the earliest examples of an interconnected system spread farther than across a room

don't pull some stupid bullshit about how the inventor of packet switching was a welshman, because by that logic discovering nuclear fission makes me the inventor of the atom bomb
>>
>>29136746
That is actually an amazingly effective method.
>>
>>29136822
No they fucking didn't.
>>
File: 1454173904641.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1454173904641.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>29136822
>britbongs ACTUALLY believe this
>>
>>29133759
>get ahold of someone in the military
They won't tell you much. I have a friend who got stationed at the NSA fort mead and he won't tell me anything. (As he should) I've worked with several people that went to cyber com and they won't talk. The DOD is taking cyber warfare very seriously. Not too long ago a bunch of people's security clearance info got stolen.
>>
>>29133601
heres an active map of cyber attacks.
pretty fun to watch
http://map.norsecorp.com/#/
>>
>>29136822
CERN and ARPANET were pretty much the driving force behind what we now know as the internet
>>
>>29133601

Important enough apparently that they won't stop blowing up my .mil email with pls come join cyberwarfare pls messages every fucking week because my GT score is over 110.
>>
>>29137299
why wouldnt you?
>>
It's all a front.

I've been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm not convinced I've ever met or killed a terrorist. Just some poor kid who was offered money and did the actions of others, of cowards.

We have the Internet locked up tight. Any cyber attack is usually a means to an end, a reason for the government to be able to stick it's nose in to quell public opinion.

It's been proven the government uses bots for propaganda, thank you based Snowden.

There's no more hackers that hang around on 4chan like in the good old days. So your responses are gonna be speculation.
>>
>>29136806
So was antman alone himself was just a 12 year old edgy faggot as well?
>>
>>29134082
Man Ted talks are bullshit. Although the US has NSA which is compartimentalized as shit (they call other departments like D8, A1..), out of control, and rules ELINT and SEGINT.
>>
>>29133601
>China.
Pretty much ongoing.
>Russia
>Cyberwarfare
AHAHAHAHAHHAA
>>
File: israel.jpg (63 KB, 552x628) Image search: [Google]
israel.jpg
63 KB, 552x628
>>29136491
>leave USB stick, with pencil written "DO NOT OPEN", at the doorstep of a Iranian plant
Fucking jews
>>
>>29136630

>We've been fighting in Iraq for two years now. When is ISIS going to lose?

If they ever lose, it won't be because of us, as the traitorous USG are the ones who created them (see Libya and starting revolutions in other Arab countries in the ironically named 'spring'), and send them weapons and resources (ie, supporting 'rebels').

Its really just retards using global politics (or anything else) as a proxy for their dumb status competition, the blue tribe (typefied by the state department), basically always tries everything it can to spite the red tribe (typified by the pentagon), no matter how dumb or self a destructive it is.
>>
>>29136630

Another to say what you did is:

Why would you punch your left hand with your right?
>>
File: 1455659792600.gif (2 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1455659792600.gif
2 MB, 350x197
>>29137293

It's not a network of tubes anymore, just The tube, circular, and as the internet passes around it parts fly off in every direction and that's what wifi antenna picks up and translates computer language to your phone.

Don't even get me started on microwaves.
>>
>>29134247
>2016
>has never heard of People's Liberation Army Unit 61398
>>
>>29136612
>even the best hackers leave a trace
Locard's exchange principle
>>
File: 1441223119633.jpg (74 KB, 400x346) Image search: [Google]
1441223119633.jpg
74 KB, 400x346
>>29136822
>>
>>29138449
ISIS broke off from Al-quaeda. What are you on? The guilt america shares is creating instability and allowing such threat to grow on a army-less, unstable nation such as iraq. Al-quaeda is the dead hand of Bin laden slapping us in the face.
>>
>>29134238

Storytime?
>>
>>29133601
It is inevitable that one day the US will face a large scale cyber attack. In fact it was listed as THE top national threat for 3(?) years running recently. It is widely seen as inevitable as while things become more and more computerized, there are more and more opportunities for loopholes and errors which can be exploited. Hitting a critical system, like a power grid, or a number of large banks, could cause enough national panic to be considered an act of war.
>>
Im computer stupid so bear with me,
But why are so many of these critical systems connected to the open internet? Or are they in their own isolated networks? If they are on some isolated network, how are hackers able to make contact remotely?
>>
Read space wars.

Cyberwarfare is serious shit.

Imagine no elint, no gps etc.

Not to mention banks, power grids, nuke plants.

If its controlled electronically it a target.
>>
>>29140045
It depends very much on what the system is and how it is supposed to be accessed. Things like nuclear weapons will be on closed networks. (In fact they run on their own cable grid), things like the power system, will be accessible to contractors through special connections, sometimes these contractors do not have the best security. This means that you could break into a contractors PC, use his connection to gain access and then you're in.
There are other means and ways too, such as intercepting communications that MUST go over the internet, such as stock exchange data. There is an infinitesimal amount of things you can do. It's all about finding the gaps in the protection and cracking it open.
>>
>>29140045
Probably so people in power can shut them down in the chance of civil war or false flag
>>
>>29134082
>Disabled Iran's centrifuges for 1 (one) week
Wow it's fucking nothing, if anything it just taught the Iranians the importance of CD
>>
>>29140045
Stuff like power plants or oil rigs mostly operate off if PLCs, which is like a really dumb computer purpose built to automate electro mechanical stuff. There's really no reason for these to be connected to the outside network, but they do need to be connected internally incase shit needs to be reprogrammed or they need to talk to each other.

But there's usually some computer connected to them that is connected to the outside network. In theory these nodes are highly secured, but people are stupid and mistakes can happen.

The reason they're connected at all is because up to the second data gives way for massive efficiency and tuning of processes. The chances of being targeted are also pretty low, since most hackers want money not to destroy shit and get anally raped by the government.
>>
>>29133759
kill yourself kom
>>
>>29140191
There seems to be some evidence that it didn't even disable their centrifuges. Some of the reports from it show there may have been no real effect. They shut down the centrefuges themselves out of concern for the damage that could have been done. Then again, I suppose it's a question of how reliable the reports are.
>>
>>29137299
You should. It's comfy.
>>
>>29140199
PLC vulnerabilities are massive right now. Over the last ~year, the open source community (ex: people presenting under the CCC umbrella) stopped talking about the potential weaknesses of PLCs and started exploiting them, and it's retard easy.

Anyway...in theory, cyber is overrated; because the defenders have the mathematical advantage: attackers can only get in if they're let in.

In practice, it's not at all. Bugs are common, 0-days are common, formal verification to stop them makes for clumsy, slow programming, and hacking is such a gray-area thing that's it's too tempting not to use.

And ofc, if you succeed, going undetected is relatively easy for a nation-state level effort - for years even. And if you get into an enemy comms network, that's a major advantage in every kind of conflict, from major regional conventional wars to even diplomacy and everything in between.
>>
>>29134082
>Stuxnet

Stuxnet was the one small part of Nitro Zeus that was actually used.

The other 99% of the self-destruct the US inserted into the totality of Iranian infrastructure went unused.
>>
>>29140345
It's not comfy. JCAC turns out nothing but idiots. A sophomore in college know more than a JCAC grad.
>>
>>29141219
Shit, I was considering going. I figured it had to be low-end, because it's big military now and because even TAO outsources the serious shit to consultants, but what is it really like?

The official recruiting presentations seem to be about linux admin, basic Cisco certs, and intro to fuzzers, is that it?
>>
>>29135342
You, my friend, are redpilled. I mean that as a compliment.
>>
>>29133601
Well we're the only ones to have successfully launched a large scale militarized cyber attack, and that was years ago.
>>
>>29140191
It permanently damaged centrifuges.
>>
Cyber warfare? Unplug and reconnected after 39 seconds, war already over.
>>
>>29133601
It needs some fucking improvement fast in my humble opinion
>>
>>29140235
It severely messed them up. I remember reading about people laughing that the Iranian centrifuges were failing when spun up to 100,000 rpms because they were not savvy enough to burn off fingerprints after assembling them. Then the news broke on Stuxtnet. The cascade is supposed to be a predictable process. Like yeah, we can make this much a week and three months later they're just holding their heads going "we must have no idea what we're doing, this was supposed to be a turn-key operation". Instead, the unreliable function produced crap because bursts of bad enrichment ruined the mix.

The problem with cyber-warfare is the people with the biggest rocks live in glass houses. Russia and China have patriotic hackers that can provide cover for political motivations. China has extra deniability from the number of unpatched versions of windows there.
>>
>>29133601
The Russians must be pretty decent at it, their internet defense force has spamming /k/ over the past few months
>>
>>29138857
It doesn't cancel government cyber units.
>>
>>29135342
>UN and Israel cooperating
>ever
Nigga what?
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.