[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
shtf and you got shot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
What first aid kit do you carry? Had an ifak in the 'Stan but is that the best option for my shtf load. Are there better options? All this in a scenario where our group Doc makes it to the ORP.
>>
>>29120421
Your going to die of sepsis even if they do get the bullet out of you. Infection risks are very very high if you do not have access to higher medical care. We have sterile OR rooms, and all this technology, we even have sterile gauze and sterile everything prepackaged for our emergency health services as well, and somehow we still spend billions of dollars on sepsis and other such infections yearly. If you have limited funds for SHTF focus it somewhere else. If you want a trauma kit for all sorts of scenarios not just SHTF there are a variety but they all have the same basic stuff. You need to ask yourself what your level of training is and what role you are willing to have. I tend to think an AID bag is more useful to have in my car than a full blown multi person trauma kit.
>>
>>29120889
I like Med pouches where all the items are on a "card" held in by bungee/shock cord, and that card can freely go in and out of the pouch. I then attach some paracord to the card and the actual pouch so just ripping the "card" out doesn't cause me to lose my supplies if i have to move while treating. However, I am a paramedic and am the assigned "medic" for the loosely formed squad of guys I shoot with. As such i carry more than just an IFAK
>>
nigga get some shit to treat cuts and sprained ligaments. if you get shot you are done.
>>
>>29120421
Why the needle for tension pneumo? If you expect to get shot, then duct tape and an MRE wrapper would be better.
>>
File: image.png (677 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
677 KB, 640x1136
I go with Chinook or Dark Angel.

I have my eye on this St. Mike bag, stocked it's $600 though.

As far as training, I have my EMT-B. Are there any FM manuals for emergency medicine?
>>
>>29121381
because its a lifesaving measure. I mean, its for a worst case scenario. It also allows you to treat others while you have decompressed one person already.
>>
>>29120421

extract the boolit with your knife

heat a piece of rebar red hot and push it into the wound while clamping teeth on a wooden stick.

dust the cauterized wound with sulfa and wrap with boiled rags.

>soldier on

you'll be fine, you pussy.
>>
>>29121474
you got more info on how this works?
>>
>>29121474
Sulfa.... Use sugar
>>
>>29121432
Forget the FM's they aren't too useful. Read Combat medic stories for advice as well as getting the military version of PHTLS
>>
>>29120889

I clean OR rooms for a living. You'd be surprise how dirty those rooms are. The joys of working at a hospital.
>>
File: Xstat.jpg (54 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Xstat.jpg
54 KB, 1200x800
>>29120421
>>29120889
OR you could just use this and live.
>>
>>29122339

Ih, when I say how dirty they are, I mean how dirty they are after the cleaning. Worked at 4 hospitals, each place gave 45 mins to clean that giant rooms, all the equipment.
>>
>>29122339
I am a medical implant sales rep, and I am in OR's on a regular basis. They are pretty dirty compared to what you would think.
>>
>>29122349
How does that change anything? You are still at risk of infection from the second anything internal is exposed to once you are finally sealed and patched up after surgery. Foreign bodies inside of you can give you an infection.
>>
>>29122349
Didn't they forbid unrestricted sell of those?
>>
>>29122335
Good to go thanks
>>
>>29122370

I know how dirty they are. I spend 40 hours a week cleaning them. That is cleaning them after they been used. Cleaning up blood in all the nooks and crannies, it's amazing where that shit can get to. I'm also responsible for gathering the bio waste from there too, which also includes gathering the organs and any other body parts that are.
>>
>>29122389
approved by FDA for normal people to use, no idea when they will be able to be bought though.
>>
>>29122464
what happens to biowaste and sharps containers?
>>
>>29122506

The organs / body parts get labeled, a dif company comes in and picks that up. If it is not organs or body parts, it just gets thrown into a giant red bio waste bin. I then take that and put it into a giant microwave oven....which cooks the bio waste for like 3 hours at like 250 degrees, after it has been sterilized we just throw it into the trash, lol.

Sharps get collected and just like the organs, a dif company picks that up.

Blood from lap goes into the sterilizer, that too gets thrown in the trash.

Also like a yr ago, when that ebola scare was happening, also got trained on hoe to suit up and clean rooms for that....no special chemicals, just bleach and just deep clean.
>>
File: 1447506668459.png (182 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1447506668459.png
182 KB, 400x400
>>29122506
Not the poster above, but I work in a pathology lab. Typically the bio waste gets incinerated. I would assume the same went for the sharps.
>>
Ok to clarify, my sister is a doctor, I am/was an infantryman. I've patched up just about every woumd you can think of, she worked in an ER during residency. In shtf scenerio, I'm wondering if it's even worth having tourniquets, needles for treating tension pneumothorax, quickclot gauze, nasal pharyngeal airways, or if I should just stock up on isreali bandages, splints, duck tape, and if one of us gets tagged well tough shit.

The rebar through a wound shit doesn't work. Saw that in a Clint Eastwood movie. Two Miles for Sister sarah I think. Bullets generally bounce around inside people/don't make straight lines unless it's like a .50 or a dushka. Then you're fucked since I don't have a helicopter 5 minutes out.
Don't want to waste my money, So if you EMT guys have any good recommendations on kits that's what I'm looking for.
>>
Israeli bandage
CAT
plasma kit, 1 Li bag, line, cannula, prep wipes all in a sealed pack.
100 ml antiseptic
2ml novacane injector
Examination gloves

We all carried the kit when in country. just being able to keep blood pressure up in a casualty with a plasma drip saved a lot of lives.
>>
>>29122573
This is why you don't jump into a hospital dumpster.
>>
File: image.png (620 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
620 KB, 640x1136
>>29123206
Chinook makes some good IFAKs and kits.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category/AD-EPMKPER
>>
>>29123488
>>29123524
Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. Don't know if plasma will be in my expeditionary kit but maybe keep some in the vehicle.
>>
>>29122349
is the wound channel of a typical gunshot wound big enough to shove this xboxhuge thing in there?
just genuinely asking.
>>
>>29124769
Uh, that's for putting rolaids in your butt.
>>
>>29121474
Ouch, that sulfa burn.
>>
Writhe around on the ground and scream out, "papali cyka!"
>>
>>29124769
Never seen one in action but I know I've stuffed three files of gauze into a gsw before. Depends on the round, angle location lots of things
>>
Where does one aquire IV bags without a prescription?
>>
>>29126271
Buy the "pet" ones. They are literally the same thing, packaged in the same place. Alternatively steal them from a hospital. I worked as an EMT and nurses just left shit everywhere. We rotate our stores of Needles and Bags on our trucks every few months and instead of throwing it away they let staff take the stuff as "training" supplies.
>>
>>29122464
I hope you make ok money doing that
>>
>>29126271
Why would you want an IV bag anyway?
>>
>>29126464
Meics carry IVs. I think it's to stop shock from lack of fluids and to slow bleeding out. Correct me if I'm wrong
>>
>>29127719
They use it to keep volume up after blood loss, that's normal saline
There are plenty of IV bags that do different things but that's what most people think of
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.