[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wax Slugs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: wax slugs.jpg (31 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
wax slugs.jpg
31 KB, 480x360
I'm going to make some wax slugs today, but I'm scared of my gun going off in my fucking face. Anyone have any experience with wax slugs or tips to make them not blow up my gun in my fucking face?
>>
Forgot video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnTAr5jqJQI
>>
>>29117059
The wax isn't hot enough to set off the powder or primer.
Use a Double boiler the wax, heating the wax is the most dangerous process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBWWqXVbAfA
>>
>>29117059

I made about ten or 15 last year.

Was gonna use them as target ammo before hunting season. Decided to use slugs instead. I still have them.

So bump for interest.

They seem safe. taofledermaus fires them all the time and swears by them.
>>
Do you need to use a rifled choke? I rarely ever shoot my shotgun, this looks neat...
>>
>>29117097
That video you linked he didn't use a double boiler and in another video I saw it said double boilers don't get the wax hot enough to properly set/seal/seat in the shell and that's why they can fall out.
>>
>>29117097
>>29117155
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSaqqKz5zyc
This is the video I was referring to
>>
>>29117155
It just takes longer on a double boiler, the melting point is around 100 degrees farenheit. So that guy might not be using Paraffin

Also Barry has the "Do as I say, not as I do" philosophy. RIP Barry...
>>
>tfw fixed full choke in muh shotgun so no wax slugs for me
life is pain
>>
>>29117131
No. Rifling would fuck the slug up.
>>
>>29117251
Why not. The wax will deform >9000
times before the barrel is damaged
>>
>>29117294
Not afraid for my barrel, the wax would come apart and I'd be firing wax buckshot instead.
>>
>>29117315
It might hold most of its shape. Worth a shot trying it out.
>>
>>29117251
wax slugs are soft, I doubt it'd hurt anything
>>
>>29117395
>worth a shot
ehehehhe i get it
>>
Okay thanks /k/! I'm going to make a few right now!
If the thread is still up later I'll post results.
>>
>>29117059
Make sure to fire the slugs in a barrel with no choke. I can't say anything about rifling, but definitely no choke.
>>
>>29117059
single load them
always single load fucked up novelty rounds

dont fill the magazine
>>
>>29117630
slugs are made of lead, you can shoot them out of a full choke with no problem. Well accuracy will be lessened but it wont blow up. Shotguns are super low pressure compared to rifles.

Wax certainly wouldn't be effected by a choke. My problem with wax rounds is that they get fucking wax allover the inside of your camber,barrel anywhere else they touch. Next lead round probably cleans out rifiling though.
>>
excuse my ignorance, but why would you do this?
>>
>>29117776
poor man's slug.
Birdshot is cheap, wax is cheap. Heat the wax and mix em and now you've got a slug-like projectile. Less effective than solid lead but still a big hole in your target.
>>
>>29117776
cause you are poor and bored
>>
>>29117776
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_966NVdjoI
>>
>>29117899
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_966NVdjoI
>>
>>29117899
>>29117930
that only looks impressive until you see a real slug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftrCtOyLrmU
with real ammo you dont worry about accidental kabooms or accuracy
>>
File: IMG_1099.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1099.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Okay I'm done. This is halfway through cutting them while the wax was melting in the double boiler. Took long time for each shell at the start, but it got easier as I went along.
>>
File: IMG_1100.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1100.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Aaaaand final product. Not great, but not bad for my first time.
This batch I wont load them into the magazine, just directly into the chamber for each shot.
>couldhavegoneworse.jpg
>>
>>29117059
What is the point of a wax slug compared to a regular slug or just a cut case?
>>
>>29118763
top them off with some wax. you want to make them flush with the casing.
>>
>>29119227
if hes single loading which is the smart way to do it. it wont matter if the top is flush
>>
>>29119227
Next batch I definitely will. At this point it's just too much set up/clean up to unfuck all of these ones.
>>
>>29118763
It looks a lot like you just came in your shot shells.
>>
>>29120478
Get trips and I will idgaf
>>
>>29121066
but dubs though
>>
>>29120478
that would make them cum shots silly.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.