[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dry Firing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 600x450
How often do you dry fire your weapons?
>>Rifle
>>Pistol
>>Shotgun

Has any damage occured from it?
>>
>>29112188
Every time I'm near them, and no. It hasn't. And I do this to Tokerevs and old Mausers as well as modern production firearms.
>>
>>29112188
>TFW literally cannot stop finger fucking your guns.

No damage that I know of
>>
>>29112188

Isn't dry firing really only harmful with rimfire weapons?
>>
>>29112239
me neither
>>
>>29112274
I'm not entirely sure
>>
>>29112274
yup
think about it
not dry firing means you're setting off a fucking explosion next to the firing pin and causing a bunch of other mechanical stuff to happen in microseconds
>>
>>29112188
When I take my guns apart (function checks) or after I finish some range time (who really counts the rounds they shoot with) or when I'm practicing trigger time with snap caps.

Aside from that, not really. Also, I don't do that with 22lrs or revolvers that don't have a safety block.
>>
Protip

Almost any new production (and stretching back more than a decade) rimfire is safe to dryfire due to the beveled bolt face design, where the firing pin is recessed inside the bolt face and the chamber is designed in such a way the firing pin will never contact the chamber wall
>>
Only my glock when im taking it down to clean, what's the point in dry firing otherwise?
>>
>>29112469

To practice your trigger control and build muscle memory.
>>
>>29112525
And because it makes action movies way more fun to watch.
>>
File: 1454110734393.jpg (492 KB, 1274x644) Image search: [Google]
1454110734393.jpg
492 KB, 1274x644
>>29112239
>TFW literally cannot stop finger fucking your guns

This tbqh fham.
>>
>>29112413
Almost any new production (and stretching back a good 70 goddamn years) rimfire is safe to dryfire because they magically figured out just make the firing pin short enough to not impact the chamber when dry fired.
fftfy

as long as it isn't great great great granpappies .22long squirrel rifle or his old .32 rimfire anti dog pistol, it's safe to dryfire. The only guns I know of that isn't dryfire safe is the dogshit S&W licenced 22lr AR. Even modern saturday night specials like pheonix HP22s are dry fire safe.
>>
>>29112188
Yes anon, my firing pin gets damaged over time by striking nothing while the chamber is empty.
>>
>>29112634
Which gun are you dry firing?
>>
>>29112626

>anti dog pistol

ATF pls go
>>
>>29112188
Dry firing is the biggest myth in the firearms community.
>>
>>29112572
>nolf

Fuck you, now I want to play it again. I don't have time for this shit, anon.
>>
>>29112884
You look like you need a monkey.
>>
>>29112701

I bet you also believe that leaving magazines loaded has no effect on the springs.
>>
>>29112943
Anon, it's constantly loading and unloading them that fucks them up.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 320x320
I don't dry fire anything because I always treat guns like they're loaded.
Never had an ND and never caused added wear to my firearms. :>
>>
>>29112943
My engineering degree says you're a faggot.
>>
>>29112572
i dated a girl who looks like that irl. weird.
>>
>>29112977
>I'm making shit up on the Internet again mom
>>
>>29113087
Please tell us all the mechanism through which holding springs compressed causes damage.

Be very specific.
>>
>>29113087
Springs wear only when they expand or contract. You do more of your fabled spring damage shooting and reloading then you would leaving a loaded magazine in a cool dry place.

Anon srsly being a faggot I swear on me mum
>>
I do dry firing practice the most with new pistols. It helps to do some unloaded practice with them to make sure my trigger pull, draw, etc. is solid. I have yet to shoot myself in the ass and practice is a major factor. I never dry fire shotguns or rifles. If you're worried then find some snap caps.
>>
>I never
>shotguns and rifles
Then how do you do the manual of operations function check?
>>
>>29112188

I'll stick it up your ass and pull the trigger till' it goes click.
>>
>>29112943
>>29113127
Do springs in trigger groups function the same way?
>>
>>29112188

Waaaaay to much. There is no gun ranges in reasonable distance from my house...seeing as I live in WA, it is wet as fuck most of the yr, so going to the wood is some times out. I will just practice my draw / aim at home.

I do need to get some snap caps though, so I can help simulate malfunctions / clearing techniques when I do go out shooting.
>>
>>29114636
Jesus.
>>
>>29114636
>guns unloaded
>in your edgy fury of jamming a gun up my ass i get a free prostate massage.
Sounds like a win to me.
>>
>>29112681
He's being sarcastic bud
>>
File: IMG_20160111_134014.jpg (206 KB, 1260x945) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160111_134014.jpg
206 KB, 1260x945
one of these you can dry fire
the other you shouldn't
place your bets!
>>
I dry fire all my guns, and it's never caused a single issue.
>>
>>29112188
do you use snap caps?
>>
>>29112188
Never really found an answer to the dry firing causes damage myth. It says in my manual for my pf9 not to dry fire so I just bought some snap caps. They work great for loadin randomly into mags to simulate rounds not firing.
>>
>>29114667
WA is fucking terrible for ranges. I want to go to a range but the upfront cost for just me and my girlfriend to share a lane is $50 after annual membership fees. Fuck that. And the nearest blm land to me is an hour and a half from me. Needless to say I also dry fire a fuck ton
>>
>>29114831
The top one. Is it CZ?
>>
>>29112354
Wot? Most of the aforementioned explosion is directed completely away from the firing pin, which is probably the main part you risk damaging from dry firing. Snapcaps exist for a reason. Dry firing a gun can end poorly for the same reason dry firing a bow can. The firing pin is stopped much more rapidly dry firing when compared to the relatively soft primer. The resistance from the arrow and resistance from the primer are important for the same reasons, respectively, though you'll fuck up a bow much faster from dry firing it.

I still finger fuck my guns all the time and I'm not too worried about it, but it definitely isn't ideal.
>>
>>29113835
Why not a centerfire shotgun?
>>
>>29112540
You too?
>has a pistol next to the couch in condition 3 for tactile immersion
>USP 45 for spy/operator, Beretta for 80s & cop flicks, 1911 for war or horror and PMR-30 for sci-fi.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.