[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hear submariners, especially the officers are really bizarre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 4
File: navy submarine.jpg (1 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
navy submarine.jpg
1 MB, 3872x2592
I hear submariners, especially the officers are really bizarre people. Why is this? Why do people say such things?
>>
File: 19787202010_5547f6ba3a_o.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1331) Image search: [Google]
19787202010_5547f6ba3a_o.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1331
>>29109013
>>
>>29109013
you live without sun for 9 months
see how you feel
>>
>>29109013
who the fuck wears camo for being in a submarine

shit is pointless yo

BIZARRE
>>
I used to work with a former submariner. He served 11 years during the Cold War and said he's seen some weird stuff. Both inside the sub and outside, would never tell me though in the interest of national security.
>>
>>29109047
>>29109050
>>29109084
Would you consider being a submarine officer operator or naw...
>>
File: Navy EOD.jpg (3 MB, 2823x1882) Image search: [Google]
Navy EOD.jpg
3 MB, 2823x1882
>>29109013
Too bad you never actually get to see any combat in one of these
>>
>>29109142
Probably not, the espionage would be pretty cool though. The guy told me one time they were so close to a Russian ship that he could actually see the golden teeth of this sailor. Only thing he's told us though. I would never be able to get used to being submerged for months. He said after you resurface and get back on land, your vision wouldn't adjust for days because you're so used to things being close in front of you.
>>
>>29109013
random faggots manning the rails who decided to flip up their hoods on their Gortex jackets. And here I was led to believe that sub crews were all about the details.
>>
>>29109225
those gas masks look cool, but fuck that hose snagging everything and trying to find room on your vest for the double filter. you would be better off with a standard mask with a single filter on it.
>>
>>29109226
Espionage? What sort of espionage is there with subs?
>>
>>29109013
I was a surface guy myself, but I can vouch for the first one. http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1276-6-things-movies-dont-show-you-about-life-submarine.html

I hear the environment is so uniquely fucked up and bizarre that you just can't be normal and survive. All the sub guys I knew were nuts.
>>
>>29109311
How were they nuts? And were you an officer?
>>
>>29109289
Well him and his crew would spy on Russian ships and he would never tell me or my father who's known him for years what he saw. Pretty secret back then but now that I think about it I should've used a better term other than espionage.
>>
>>29109344
Very interesting
>>
>>29109013
People said that about us but we also called the skimmers poorly trained and ill disciplined, I guess I deserved to get my Submariner patch pissed on for being a cocky shit that one time.
>>
>>29109417
What does an average day on the sub look like? What sorts of crazy stuff goes on? Or is just the boredom... how did you entertain yourself? What are your officers like? Sorry for all the questions
>>
Get to the sea monster stories already.
>>
>>29109013
I know they stink. met a guy who was the Navy equiv of a MP stationed in Italy I think. He said you knew a guy was a subdriver when you met him, because they would stink. I don't mean like just finished PT stink. They spend all that time locked up inside a sewer pipe breathing that recycled air, it just does something to their body chemistry.
>>
>>29109440
I hear everything is caked in cum, the showers, bunks, anywhere a man can spend a significant amount of time will have cum splattered everywhere.
That is how you have fun.
>>
>>29109417
Alan?
>>
>>29109328
Enlisted. Out as an E-5. As compared to anyone else, they're eccentric, unpredictable, and fucking hilarious. Entirely different value set, as dictated by the uniqueness of their environment.
>>
>>29109417
hmm, very first comment, is that you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCSa0xglJNc
>>
>>29109530
What sort of values? Are the generally competent?
>>
>>29109468
Shit, even in the regular Navy you could cut yourself on a stray sock. God only knows how those fuckers dealt with it.

I remember a couple of guys had sock competitions going on one cruise, until the khaki got wind and made them throw 'em out. They each tared a sock when the boat pulled out, and the competition was to see who could get the heavier by the end of cruise.
>>
>>29109530

I can imagine the sort of person who answers: "Hey do you want to be crammed into a tube deep in the ocean playing terminal hide and go seek while carrying enough missiles to end the world." with an enthusiastic yes is probably a little off kilter.
>>
>>29109586
Oh, competence is never the issue. They'll beat seven shades of shit out of anyone for being a thief, and justly so. Mainly, the difference is a total disregard for privacy or general decency. Plus, an appreciation for gay chicken, grabass, and various other homoerotic pass times. They're not gay, though. Just bored and looking for shock value.
>>
>>29109512
Nope, My name begins with R.

>>29109573
>No, I have zero respect for Indian navy, they are literal shitbags.
>>
15 years on subs. I'm heading to bed but if this thread is around when I wake up I'll answer any questions.
>>
Submarines once, submarines twice
Holy jumping Jesus Christ
We go up, we go down
We don't even fuck around
Aaaooogah, aaooogah, DIVE! DIVE!
Rat shit, fat shit
Dirty little cunts
69 assholes tied in a knot
Cocksuckers, motherfuckers
Gobble gobble goo
We are submariners
Who the fuck are you?!
>>
>>29109640
were you an officer? What did you do on the sub? What sort of effect do you think it had on your mental state?
>>
>>29109047
Why don't they come up for sunbathing and fishing when they are out in the middle of nowhere?
>>
From my experience, submariners are all a little weird but it varies greatly from person to person and officer to enlisted. Given the requirements to be selected for a nuke position everyone on board is pretty high intelligence, and with that comes some eccentricities.

One of my instructors was an O-3 who served aboard a Seawolf class and he was a little strange but more so just an arrogant ass because he figured himself so much smarter than everyone else.

My former CO however was a 23 year submariner Captain and he was the nicest guy I've met in the community, and was overall pretty normal aside from a bit of social awkwardness.

tl;dr Submariners can be pretty weird, usually the smarter they are the more odd they are.

>source: O-1 navyfag who just finished his first sea tour
>>
>>29109710
You are a submariner yourself?
>>
>>29109710

so i'm currently flying fighters for a different branch.

i applied for NUPOC based on the fact that they'd pay me a lot of money, and i was working on my engineering master's.

i didn't get selected because i got a few too many C's in undergrad.

at the same time, though, the direct commission submarine EDO program was going and i got accepted. so i could oversee construction and design of subs, but not drive one.

overall i'm much happier doing the fighter jet thing.
>>
Has any Submarine officer ever transitioned and become a SEAL or EOD officer? What are SEAL officers usually before they become SEALS?
>>
>>29109705
Why come up?...punching holes in the ocean is too fun. Besides, the "natives" may not like a boat suddenly popping up in their waters!
>>
>>29109740
Yes, ROTC graduate. Recently completed my first cycle at sea. My plan is to get stationed as an NROTC instructor in a few years to get my Masters, just like my instructor was doing when I was in the program.
>>
>>29109778

nuclear reactors is very unlikely to give you up from what i understand.
>>
>>29109800
How competitive is it becoming a submarine officer?
>>
>>29109778
What are SEAL officers usually before they become SEALS? Answer: wannabes
>>
>>29109778
This >>29109807 is pretty accurate, and I've never heard of any submariner transitioning to SpecWar personally, although there isn't anything that says it wouldn't be possible.

But Nuke's make more money than anyone else in any branch of the US military and also require the most difficult training, academically, so getting a transfer approval would probably be difficult if not impossible.
>>
>>29109824
By competitive do you mean how competitive was it to get selected for a Nuke slot or do you mean competition between Officers that are already serving?
>>
>>29109862
Getting a nuke slot
>>
>>29109845
>Nuke's make more money than anyone else in any branch of the US military
This myth again. Extra $50 a month or so, some piddly bullshit, and reenlistment bonuses that the vast majority reject so they can GTFO. The attrition is crazy high, because the job is worse than thankless. The standards are literally impossible in many cases, but failing to meet standards is an NJP offense.
>>
>>29109845

anybody besides like really crazy specific MD's.

and yeah... but think of it this way. retention in the fighter communities is kinda iffy because of mission creep. fighter dudes love flying fighters, and tolerate all the paperwork that goes around it. money as a retention tool is kinda the last-ditch - if they could force finance and personnel and comm to do their job, and all the other BS queep onto others, and cut the politicking in half, the retention problem is solved.

on the other hand, they throw money at Navy Nukes, SWO's, and AF Missileers and certain doctors. which tells me that life is either terrible for them or you can make fat stacks outside or both.
>>
>>29109880
The only thing more competitive (in ROTC at least) is trying to earn a SpecWar slot, specifically SEALs due to the fact that nearly all SEALs come out of the Naval Academy.

To put it in perspective, my graduating class had 80 Midshipman when we started as freshmen, 32 of which wanted to go Nuke. At the time of graduation, we ended up with 3 who earned a slot after the interviews.
>>
>>29109930
what about a SWO position? And do guys really become SEAL officers right out of NROTC?
>>
>>29109898
>This myth again
No idea what you think we get paid, but it is significantly higher than any other designation for the same amount of time served. Also yes, our re/enlistment bonuses are larger than anyone else's as well. My commissioning bonus was 25k.

You are correct about the attrition rate though, a lot of submariners come for the Nuke training and then dip after their 5 years to go into the private sector. My officer instructor during ROTC did just that and went on to manager a nuclear power plant starting at 500k/year.
>>
>>29109978
SWO is the most common officer designation and, in turn, is the least competitive. If you manage to meet the minimum requirements of the NROTC program or successfully pass OCS, you'll earn a SWO slot without issue.

As for SEAL officers, yes, people straight out of NROTC can earn an officer slot but it's ridiculously uncommon. While I was in the program, I was told that there is an average of 1 SEAL officer that comes from the entire NROTC program each year. An overwhelming majority of the officers come exclusively from the Naval Academy.
>>
>>29109047
>where do you think you are?.png
>>
>>29109978
No one becomes a SEAL right out of any school. All SEALS must go through BUDS first. I know one bubblehead that became a frogman. I'm sure there have been more.
>>
you know what they say 98 men go down 48 couples come back
>>
>>29110087
And two guys that can't get along with anyone!
>>
>>29110060
I should rephrase to include this >>29110032, this anon is right.

Right out of NROTC you can earn your slot to go to BUD/S to see if you're qualified to become a SEAL officer, you don't just earn your pin.

However during NROTC you have to prove you're qualified to even earn the opportunity, so it's essentially testing if you're qualified to test if you're qualified and if so then you go to BUD/S. If you pass BUD/S then you go onto the remainder of SEAL training (there's additional schooling after BUD/S despite some belief).
>>
How many submariners could a female captive serve a day on a Akula submarine?
>>
File: Alcoholics_Anonymous-Converted.gif (14 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Alcoholics_Anonymous-Converted.gif
14 KB, 200x200
I'm in alcoholics anonymous and a couple of the older guys here are career Navy submariners, retired of course. They're cool guys and partied fucking hard. Someone said you have to have a unique personality to get assigned to a submarine and they assign it to you based on how you scored on psychological examinations.
>>
>>29110346
all of them
>>
>>29110395
Can confirm that the interview is crucial to selection in addition to academic performance. During my NROTC days, the Nuke candidates were always told stories of past notable interviews, and some were pretty strange.

>My favorite that I was told
Apparently during the early days of submariner selection when all candidates were interviewed by Admiral Rickover himself, the Admiral had a habit of asking strange questions instead of standard Calculus/Physics based things.

During one of these interviews, the Admiral told the candidate that he had 30 seconds to make him angry. The candidate then proceeded to pick up a model submarine that was on display in the Admiral's office and shatter it on the floor. The Admiral then promptly ripped him a new asshole and told him to get out.

The next day he got confirmation that he was selected for a slot.

Admiral Rickover was apparently off his rocker.
>>
>>29109287
That's a positive-pressure fan blower with double filter for double airflow. Fails safe in case mask is leaky or minorly breached by blowing clean air out of the leak instead of sucking deadly air in.

A standard negative-pressure single filter sucks balls comparatively, and positive-pressure is the most common air filtration setup for HAZMAT operations that don't use an SCBA tank.
>>
>>29109013
Lmao at the sailors who decided they didnt need their parka. Dudes look cold as fuck.
>>
>>29109047
Sounds comfy 2bh family

T. Unnaground
>>
>>29109013
It is so fucking stupid that the navy makes everyone wear camo while aboard ships now. I miss those jumpsuits, man...
>>
>>29110685
I got out a little over a year ago and all of the rates that actually get dirty use the jumpsuits still. Dudes in admin, radio, the galley, not so much.
>>
>>29109013
So, since squids are in this thread, what is the sail on a sub used for outside of housing periscope stuff? Is it usable when submerged?
>>
>>29110572
I wonder if one of those masks gets sweaty crazy quick like a standard mask.
With positive pressure i'm imagining a constant refreshing breeze inside the unit compared to the standard.

Tell me if i'm wrong, but that sounds amazing
>>
>>29109594
That's both disgusting and amazing
>>
>>29111749
what else do you expect from a bunch of bored dudes crammed on a ship for several months at a time?
>>
>>29111782
sodomy
>>
>>29111105
no.
>>
>>29109311

>he links to cracked

IT'S LIKE YOU WANT THE COMMUNISTS TO WIN DAMNIT
>>
>>29109013
because they live in a big metal tube under water for the better part of a year, they don't see the sun, they don't get to call home, most of them don't even know where they are except that they're under water somewhere
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.