[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hunting with crossbow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
105 KB, 1280x720
Is there any practical reason to hunt with a crossbow(instead of, you know, a gun) or are they just being used by fedora-tipping hipster faggots? Assuming that you're living in America and not some random 3rd world shithole
>>
>>29104786
Reusable ammo and less sound.
>>
>>29104786
Reusing ammo, quiet, not as regulated, less likely to be banned, I mean maybe you could consider easier spotting of a downed target an advantage (Bright orange arrow feathers,) but for the most part it's shits and giggles.
>>
Being literally disabled. Otherwise you should use a compound bow, like a fucking man.
>>
The season for bow hunting is much longer
>>
>>29104803
That, mostly. You could also make a crossbow out of PVC and wire if you're good with your hands so it's arguably cheaper and there's no way in hell they can ban that effectively.
>>
You get to start hunting earlier in the year.

In WA, they aren't legal during bow season unless you have a permit for disability. AFAIK they are legal for anyone (??) during modern firearms season.

If you are disabled, they're a viable way to still get out and enjoy bow season and game the system for a more or less welfare-buck. And you know what? I am totally ok with this.

Or if you are a felon but still want to get out and go hunting and don't into BP for some reason, and also don't into a compound bow/recurve for reasons by all means get a cross bow senpai.

TLDR OP is the fedora
>>
>>29104847
>otherwise you should use a recurve bow like a man
>otherwise you should use a long bow like a man
>otherwise you should use an atlatl like a man
>otherwise you should use a spear like a man
>otherwise you should use a rock like a man
>

Spotted the guy who conceals a karambit like a man instead of carrying a gun

Please kill yourself
>>
>>29104786
Another point is that you can do target practice in your backyard if you're in a city/suburbs.
>>
>quiet
Pretty much. Not only it'll keep games from running away, you also can get away from any unwanted attention (uncooperative/hostile landowners,park rangers, fish and wildlife pigs,etc)
>reusable
There is a limit to that. Usually after 3 shots I just threw ir away
>longer season
Yes. About as long as using blackpowder gun
>less regulated
Killing a guy with a crossbow still counts as first degree murder, and unless you're living in commiefornia, hunting rifle is one of the least regulated firearm in the US, other than shotgun

If I can add a couple more, crossbow is more, uh, fool-resistant than a gun. Other than that, a 90lbs rated crossbow has more penetration power than even .357. Ive shot one on a soft body armor (rated at level 3A afaik) and shit just went through
>>
Because here crossbow is before and after gun season. I hunt to fill my freezers so if I use bow, crossbow, gun and muzzleloader then get the most deer. Then I have enough meat to eat on for the whole year, while making jerky and other snacks too
>>
Primitive weapons season, retard.
>>
>>29104786
Depends on the area and state as well. In Hawaii when I lived there they were considered disabled or felon hunting weapons since regular bow season did not allow crossbow unless disabled and a lot of the guys we saw in the couple stores I hung out at would ask if they could buy crossbows for hunting pigs on their property even if they had a felony. Had a bit of a stigma there.

In Texas I am unsure. I hardly ever see or talk about them.
>>
>90lbs rated crossbow has more penetration power than even .357. Ive shot one on a soft body armor (rated at level 3A afaik) and shit just went through

What?
>>
>>29105052
>Ive shot one on a soft body armor (rated at level 3A afaik) and shit just went through
I think that's is because of the low velocity of the boolt. Very cool

This is what I have (but the picture is not mine), very tacticool looking
>>
>>29105122
Not him but you can't really compare bullets to bolts and arrows because they have very different properties.
>>
>>29104847
>compound bow
>like a fucking man
What's wrong, got little baby arms? Can't pull a real bow back?
>>
>>29105158
>this

I hate it when faggots say bows have no penetration then try to use ballistics gel as proof
>>
>>29105122
>>29105155
It's kinds misleading since a bolt is significantly heavier than a bullet (and a 90lbs rated crosbow can fire a bolt up to 400 ft/s, almost half the speed of a bullet fired from a handgun).

Besides, it doesn't take much to puncture a soft armor. Even an ice pick would make a short work of most off the shelf armor (that isn't anti-stab)
>>
>>29104847
>compound bow
>like a man
You do know that most compound bows are set in the 65-80 lb range while crossbows used for deer are like 150-180 lbs, right?
>>
>>29104786
Extended hunting season and no need for ear pro.
>>
>>29105212
>90lbs rated crosbow can fire a bolt up to 400 ft/s
Hello, is this bait?
>>
>>29105212
>almost half the speed of a bullet

more like one third
>>
>>29105333
Half of the speed of a .380
1/3 the speed of a .357
1/4 the speed of a typical hunting rifle round
>>
>>29104935
Hold up nigger, I conceal a karambit and I'll tell you right now I don't want to be associated with that faggot
>>
>>29105357
>karambit
So these aren't just memeknives? What are the practical advantage over a more traditional blade shape? Genuinely curious
>>
>>29105184
>I hate it when faggots say bows have no penetration then try to use ballistics gel as proof
Yeah, its pretty obvious that you are going to get shit penetration in gel when you have a long arrow shaft in contact with the gel.

If you want to compare it to bullets just shoot it at dead deer or several layers of plywood or something like that.
>>
>>29105480
+5 to ninjitsu skills while at a shopping center.
>>
>>29104847
>bow
>not self made sling
Fucking casual.
>>
>>29104864
Or make the bow out of car leaf spring if you want to be serious.
>>
>>29105212
Umm no, the fastest xbos shoot at 400ish fps at 140lbs. 90lb xbos barely hit 300.
>>
>>29105480
>So these aren't just memeknives? What are the practical advantage over a more traditional blade shape? Genuinely curious
slashing.
Video related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2UQv2JUZoU
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.