[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are the Royal Marines viewed from within the British armed forces?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
File: _20160229_172103.jpg (221 KB, 1073x1025) Image search: [Google]
_20160229_172103.jpg
221 KB, 1073x1025
How are the Royal Marines viewed from within the British armed forces?
>>
Very highly
>>
>>29103499
Very well respected, the only people that slag them off are the Paras but it is more rivalry banter than anything.
>>
Latent homosexuals
>>
>>29103849
>>29103958
Both of these
>>
>>29103499
Is this a photo op? Or do they just not wear helmets?
>>
>>29103981
>Is this a photo op?

Well you're not looking at a fucking painting are you
>>
>>29103981
Photo op.

But they do so almost every beach landing ex with berets on because they're almost all treated as a photo op since the RM love photographing themselves
>>
File: Royal Marines Training.jpg (236 KB, 964x640) Image search: [Google]
Royal Marines Training.jpg
236 KB, 964x640
>>29103958
>>29103972

You're not wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOgJzlGDz08

They are, to a man, the most sexually deviant unit of combat troops on the planet in a very strange and unintelligable way. Seeing them rocking thongs around the FOBs is not an uncommon sight. Especially if allies are in town.
>>
U.S Marines vs Royal Marines
Who's trained better?
>>
The fact that they can, to a man, cover thirty miles of rough terrain on foot in less than eight hours and fight a battle at the end of it astounds me.

To be that physically capable must be incredible.
>>
>>29104075
plus,china and s.korea
>>
>>29104075
who cares
>>
>>29104174
It's a matter of interest to me, sue me, fagg0t
>>
>>29104075
Fuck off
>>
>>29104181
it's the most over done question. Google it instead of derailing the thread with usmc shit.
>>
>>29104181
S.Korea
>>
>>29104075
US Marines
>>
>>29103499
i would join but sadly im not part of the Commonweatlh and i don't want to waste 5 years of my life just to join
>>
royal marines have landing craft
US marines have 100 million dollar tilt rotors able to be shot down by anyone with an AK

Then they talk about how "muh budget ain't enough!"
>>
>>29104428
Informative argument, consider me swayed
>>
>>29104428
When I look at a map of, say, Iraq, I see many rivers carved through the sand leading to various cities. I must ask however, how well would landing craft fare there? If I remember correctly, the whole point of that aircraft was to combine both the ability to land anywhere with helis and fly fast with planes. It is in concept the best idea for a first response vehicle where you need boots asap. So tell me, why should the Marines buy up landing craft when the same money could go to R&D of improvement or even a new tilt rotor design?
>>
>>29104075
They have very different roles, since this subject has been done to death and always devolves into shit flinging I suggest you google what the USMC Infantry go through compared to a Royal Marine Commando.
>>
>>29104428
USMC have landing craft also, and amphibious assault vehicles.
>>
>>29104428
>osprey meme
you're retarded.

You should compare the record of the osprey during its formative years to that of the blackhawk.

They called them "crash hawks" for a reason.

The osprey is a fucking great aircraft which is why SOCOM has no problem using it as a taxi when they could use whatever the fuck they wanted.
>>
>>29104880
The ospreys a piece of shit with no redeeming features
Which is why Bell sells its new tilt rotor by claiming it isn't a V-22

The marines have successfully pressured/bribed the airforce & navy into buying V-22's.
>>
>>29104027
>nice to see you lads keeping up tradi.......bloody hellfire, 'arry caught a bullet on Sword for crown and country and this is what we get
Honestly though, the worst part is their lack of co-ordination, if you're gonna go gay at least do it properly.
>>
File: stone the crows.png (14 KB, 102x119) Image search: [Google]
stone the crows.png
14 KB, 102x119
>>29105096
>>
>>29104027

I've never seen more naked men than the bar at TTB. They absolutely love getting naked.

I've never met a modest Marine, and I spent 2 years as an Army Commando.
>>
>>29105170
>They absolutely love getting naked.
Hence the term "going commando".
>>
>>29105181
I don't think the RM are the source of that phrase.
>>
>>29105244
Maybe not but they certainly like to live up to it.
>>
>>29104985
>The ospreys a piece of shit with no redeeming features

You mean other than massively better range and speed than a helicopter while retaining efficient VTOL?
>>
>>29104075
Brits
>>
>>29105124
"I'll pitch me tent on your bloody shores, m8, swear on me mum!"
>>
>>29104027
Jesus. The British really are gay. All that banter about boarding schools was true.
>>
>>29105261
It has terrible VTOL, it can't even land at high altitude, has serious issues operating in "dirty" environments because it shoots debris up into its engine.
Because of its awful lift performance, weight had to be saved everywhere, leaving it without any armor or ability to defend itself, nor with appropriately crashsafe seats.

There are better ways to make faster/longer ranged helicopters, such as gyrodynes. Which is why so much effort was made to get the damn thing cancelled.
>>
>>29105593
I honestly have no idea where to start with you

>Its shit because of limitations that all helicopters have, and it doesn't even have armor! Everyone knows Chinooks have 300mm RHE!
>>
>>29104027
I'm actually jealous, I am nowhere near comfortable enough with my masculinity to pull that shit off. Bravo.
>>
>>29105722
The worst thing that will happen is that people will laugh at your small penis, embrace it and laugh along too.
>>
>>29105682
It's shit because it has no protection at all against small arms fire, can't land/take off at altitude, has abysmal vertical lift when fully loaded, and everyone becomes a casualty when it crashes since it doesn't have crashworthy seats or airframe or can autorotate.
>>
>>29105767
Nah I'm a skinnyfat scrub with an ugly face too, just way too many insecurities for that shit
>>
>>29105772
>It's shit because it has no protection at all against small arms fire

Here's a little hint: no transport helicopter does
>>
>>29105772
>It's shit because it has no protection at all against small arms fire
Like most helicopters
Or did I miss the upgrade that Blackhawks, Sea Kings, and Chinooks got that put armor around the cockpit and passenger compartment?
>can't land/take off at altitude
At what altitude? Because all helicopters have this limitation.
>>
>>29105593
>can't land at high altitude
generally aircraft lands at low altitude, where the ground is
>>
>>29105833
bait
>>
>>29105833
Do ho ho
>>
>>29105835
[citation required]
>>
>>29105794
transport helicopters do have some armor & kevlar lining.
The V-22 couldn't fit that because it was already at the limit of its capabilities just lifting 24 troops + crew & fuel.
This is why people die in every hard landing the V-22 has, and why it will never go anywhere it would experience enemy fire.

>>29105807
http://blogs.star-telegram.com/files/afsoc-crash-report---afd-101215-007.pdf

This crashed happened because the V-22 could not hover with a load at 5,226 feet
>>
>>29106026
>This crashed happened because the V-22 could not hover with a load at 5,226 feet

Uh, no turbonerd

It specifically says if your own source that there are multiple factors, including a "Poorly executed low visibility approach (LVA)" and the Co-pilot not monitoring shit.

Get fucked.
>>
>>29106026
>transport helicopters do have some armor & kevlar lining.

Sure they do.
>>
>>29105170
British army commando? Wait wot, I thought the british army doesn't maintain their commando units anymore.
>>
>>29106666
Uh, they've always had commandos
>>
>>29106527
Yea, its the military blaming the pilot who died in the crash, despite the fact the pilot was experienced and did nothing wrong, and the only real issue is that the plane wasn't physically capable of hovering with 16 troops at 5,226 feet.

Which is easily seen by the fact the 2 accompanying CV-22's spent hours burning fuel off then did a rolling landing miles away.
>>
>>29106666
>British army commando? Wait wot, I thought the british army doesn't maintain their commando units anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Arms_Commando_Course
>>
>>29104075
Well the Royal Marines are trained more and have higher entry standards, though I'm not shitting on the US Marines, they just fulfil different roles.
>protip: commando
>>
>>29106691
>and the only real issue is that the plane wasn't physically capable of hovering with 16 troops at 5,226 feet.

This is a pathetic case of "what I say is what REALLY happened contrary to the report that disagrees with me".
>>
>>29106691
So is the report trustworthy or not?

You linked it, schitzo.
>>
>>29106666
https://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/35/commando

You can be in the British Army AND be a Commando
>>
>>29106726
Holy shit there have been at least two women who have passed that course?

That's all equal standard and self-supported, they must be hardcore as fuck.
>>
>>29106823
May have just been a man with tits.
>>
>>29106823
One was a champion athlete that had swam the English channel, not your average women.
>>
>>29106731
>Pilot attempts to make a landing at 5,226 ft
>Knows its right on the limit of what the simulator/manufacturer claims the aircraft can do
>2 accompanying V-22's stay in the air while first attempts landing, so they aren't sure it can land there either
>Pilot maintains higher than normal ground speed
>V-22 drops like a rock when the tilt rotors reach vertical despite being on full power

"The high altitude environment, temperature, winds, and the MA’s weight, airspeed, and nacelle
configuration affected the descent rate"

AKA The CV-22 physically could not land there, where it was ordered to land.
>>
>>29106764
Trustworthy enough they fired the general who produced it
The military wanted to blame the crew, rather than any physical limitations of the aircraft.
>>
>>29103499
wanting to join them and prove I have what it takes is the only reason I'm staying in this country. may leave after, but not before I've got the lid.
>>
>>29103981
>>29103499
BFAs, ruining otherwise cool photos since forever
>>
>>29104075
Why is this even a question?

The US marines are just normal conventional troops, nothing special at all about them. They're basically the same as an army soldier, anyone that says otherwise is either a Muhreen or memeing.

The Royal Marine Commandos are just that, commandos, highly trained with a specific role, like the Rangers in a sense.

People who keep asking this question are idiots
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.