[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PSA don't buy reloaded ammo from freedom munitions. Short
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 9
File: ammo fucked my ar.jpg (658 KB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
ammo fucked my ar.jpg
658 KB, 3300x2550
PSA don't buy reloaded ammo from freedom munitions. Short story short: bought 500 rounds, out of 4 shots, 2 rounds exploded in the chamber.

Short story long: I bought 500 rounds of their remanufactured .223 ammo for my ar. Went out for some fun Saturday shooting, and after loading all my magazines, we started shooting. First two shots fired without incident and then the third had an excessive amount of smoke come out and got the bcg stuck. Pulling the charging handle did nothing, it was lodged. Had to slam the butt of my rifle into the ground until it finally got unstuck. The casing had expanded and blew the primer out. Checked the barrel for damage, everything clear. Everything else seemed fine so I assumed i just got unlucky with one bad round or maybe a bad batch. I got a different mag with a different box of the ammo and the first shot blew up in the chamber again, locking the bcg again, only this time blowing out my mag (expanding it, dumping the ammo on the ground), fucking up the extractor (and possibly the rest of the bcg) and somehow damaging my muzzle brake. Needless to say, I have 496 rounds of ammo I have no confidence in and an AR with who knows what possible damage. Fortunately no one was hurt (unless you consider getting booty blasted an injury). Also, that round thing in the pic fell out of the bcg when I removed the firing pin though I'm not sure if that was actually what fell out or it was just what I found on the floor when looking for the thing that fell out. I have no idea where it would fit in the bcg.
>>
i dont buy reloaded ammo. except for black hills.
what did freedom say?
>>
>>29087272
I just sent them an email prior to this post. Doubt they'll respond until Monday. First time and probably last time ever buying reloaded ammo for me though.
>>
>>29087255
I've shot plenty of freedom munitions .223 without a problem.
>>
>>29087296
I've shot only 4 of freedom munitions .223 with major problems.
>>
fuck. this is why i shoot wolf for cheapshit
>>
>>29087255
check out that primer...this shit was loaded very hot. it blew out the side there because the brass web was weak there, which can happen with brass that's been used too many times, shows as a bright or reddish ring in a resized casing.
>>
I've never had a problem with rifle reman ammo, 9mm on the other hand was full of duds and low powder charges. One day at the range I had 4 out of 10 duds.
>>
>>29087324
you're making me scared to use any more of it.
>>
>>29087255
>didnt even make it inb4 freedom munition shills who say they never had a problem with it
>>
>>29087391
I wish I could reassure you but I can only go off my experience. I don't trust their ammo at all anymore and they have soured me to all reloaded ammo. I'd rather pay a little bit extra even for cheap ammo and suffer the occasional dud over having shit explode in my rifle and damaging it or worse damaging me. Lesson learned the hard way
>>
>>29087344
I wonder if it could be the brass from their brass exchange program. I know when my casings get a little long in the tooth I sell them to freedom munitions in exchange for credit. I also sell them random junk I sweep up at the range.
>>
>>29087255
anyone have any idea what that round thing in the middle pic is? Could it be part of the bcg?
>>
>>29087286
hopefully youll get taken care of. a few years back, they were known as USA ammo. i had an order from them for 350 rounds or something. long story short, i got double my order by accident for free. anyway, right around this time, there were a few firsthand reports on arfcom about KB ARs using usa ammo.
i sold all i had cheap as hell with full disclosure. i wont buy reman ammo. this isnt to say factory new ammo cant KB also, but ill pay a little more and feel a little better.
>>
File: Hah.jpg (152 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Hah.jpg
152 KB, 1080x720
>>29087296
>I've shot plenty of freedom munitions .223 without a problem.

>>29087324
>I've shot only 4 of freedom munitions .223 with major problems.
>>
File: squibcity.jpg (917 KB, 2184x2912) Image search: [Google]
squibcity.jpg
917 KB, 2184x2912
Can confirm freedom is shit. Got a squib load in my Model 10 thanks to them
>>
>>29087538
My guess would be that's actually the remains of a blown out primer.

OP, reloader here. To have so much chamber pressure to create flowback like what's on the heads of those casings, something has to be seriously wrong. Don't use anymore of that ammo in anything.
>>
>>29087440
reload your own ammo, or buy factory ammo.
when I first got into guns, some guy told me to never trust reloads that weren't my own.
>>
>>29087424
I've only used about 500 rounds of their .223. but I've never had a problem. I wasn't saying they're amazing or anything. OP clearly shows they're not. I just got it because it was cheap plinking ammo. I've also shot plenty of their 9mm, .357 magnum, .45 acp, and .45 colt.
I probably won't buy from them in the future though, even if they do sort things out with op. I'm buying my own reloading setup pretty soon so I don't have to worry about this shit anymore.
>>
I'm kinda suspecting that reloaded ammo is salted by an anti gun organization.

The terrorism on American soil that nobody will talk about.

>oh, it's just idiots selling shit ammo

Having brass blow up with that frequency isn't a mistake.
>>
>>29087344

>>29087642, also in my opinion that case had the rim torn off by the extractor, not necessarily because the case was weak at that point.
>>
>>29087696
you should get one of these. they're a lot more stylish than tinfoil.
>>
>>29087696
yeah nah i tend to believe people send the most fucked up cases to freedom cause they'll pay for it, like >>29087507 said
>>
>>29087642
it was inside the bcg where the firing pin comes out of . I pulled the clip holding the firing pin, turned it sideways so the pin would fall out and heard something hit the floor. That was the only thing I could find.
>>
File: 1453860071511.jpg (105 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
1453860071511.jpg
105 KB, 600x399
>>29087255
I've either got 500 rounds of .45, or 1000 rounds of 9mm from them. I don't remember which, and I'm not going to look. Oh well.

I think it's the 9mm.
>>
>>29087642
also, it fits where the bolt goes into, but not from where I think it fell out of. Shit is weird.
>>
>>29087507
>for credit
for what reason? so you can buy ammo with brass that other people sent in when it wasn't fit for reloading?
>>
>>29087738
I'm not an AR shooter, so I'm not real familiar with their insides. And the pic of the object is hard to scale. Is it ferrous? Magnet stick to it?
>>
File: 1443853946443.jpg (74 KB, 602x601) Image search: [Google]
1443853946443.jpg
74 KB, 602x601
>>29087255
>Another person bought reman FM.
We fucking warned you. This happens at least once a month. Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
fuck
I have 500 rounds of .223, 400 rounds of .45 acp, and 900 rounds of 9mm from them. wut do?
>>
>>29087799
Is it reman or retail you just bought from them?
>>
>>29087255
>ammo must be shit
>all cases look exactly like headspace issues
>go on 4chin and cry

Way to go, Frankengunner
>>
>>29087827
I think it was all reman
>>
>>29087799
Well, gunpowder is full of nitrates and is great for your garden. You can make your hydrangeas bloom beautifully this year!
>>
>>29087761
no offense but if you don't know about ARs, no need to answer those questions.
>>
>>29087841
Your best option would be to demanufacture all of it and re-use the brass, bullets, and primers. Since you have no fucking idea what powder they may have used, dispose of it all safely and reload the cartridges properly yourself.
>>
>>29087839
This also. Are you able to take a pic of one of the blown up casings standing next to an unfired one?
>>
>>29087861
So what is the object in the pic?
>>
>>29087839
it wasn't like I took out a newly pieced together AR. I've had this rifle for a few years and have shot it a shitload of times with no issues. I take care of it and maintain it properly. It fired fine using my friend's bcg with federal ammo after my bcg got fucked.
>>
>>29087799
>>29087854
Or you could pull the bullets and reload them properly.
>>
>>29087722

Oh yea, I'll just magically start shitting money one day and I'll be able to afford all the things I've always wanted but the irony will be I don't want or need them anymore.

I'm certain this will happen one day.
>>
>>29087903
Is your tinfoil too tight?
>>
>>29087722

>mfw signalproof beanies exist

http://shieldheadwear.com/

I bet they gave the ayys a backdoor though.
>>
>>29087900
If you are buying reloads you are not reloading yourself. Or your retarded. I cant be sure
>>
>>29087925
they had a kickstarter and everything.
protip, the gubbermind will still get to your brain through the rest of your exposed head.
>>
>>29087929
I'm going to start reloading soon. I might just save all my reman FM shit and reload it myself.
>>
File: Slavshitftw.jpg (67 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Slavshitftw.jpg
67 KB, 640x480
>reloading intermediate cartridges
>leaving your rifle and limbs in the hands of some shaky old geezer who sells reman ammo

ARfags dude.
>>
Fuck, I got tricked into buying some remanufactured .38 Special from them.
>>
>>29087954
do yourself a huge favor and get an rcbs collet bullet puller in 22 caliber. the collet and die are separate, be sure to get both items. it makes cartridge breakdown easy peasy.
>>
>>29087938

>implying dentists aren't putting bugs in your teeth
>>
>>29087954
Only thing that will probably be reuseable is the projectiles. Unless you want to inspect every single case for issues. You could pawn it off on an unsuspecting dude on armslist or something
>>
Am I the only one who thinks BUYING reloads, regardless is very stupid?
>>
>>29088047
Its really one of the stables of shooting. Never shoot some else's reloads. You currently cannot regrow limbs / eyes / appendages. You will never know wtf is in there. It could be semen with fish in it for all you know in your shotgun shells.
>>
>>29087929
If he has a bunch of reman ammo that he's not sure about then yeah he should pull the bullets and make sure they're done right.

I actually don't know what you're trying to say:
>If you are buying reloads you are not reloading yourself. Or your retarded. I cant be sure

What does that even mean?

>>29087954
>>29087994
Check the brass, check the powder, do a few test loads to see if the powder's good. You're good to go from there.

>>29088031
>Unless you want to inspect every single case for issues
>
99% sure that the reason why this fucking happened is because Freedom Munitions didn't do exactly that and they put too much powder into worn to shit cases.
>>
File: 20160227_212927.jpg (136 KB, 1000x712) Image search: [Google]
20160227_212927.jpg
136 KB, 1000x712
>>29087870
>>
>>29088095
I've shot 7 rounds out of 500 so far from one of my .357s, and I haven't lost any limbs yet. I think it might be safe.
>>
>ever paying money for reloads
Moron.
>>
>>29088095
I've shot about 100 round of the 9mm and .45, and I think 2 mags of .223. nothing blew up, but I did have two rounds where the bullet pushed back into the brass. I don't know if there was just no crimping or bad resizing or what causes that
>>
File: 20150517_163947_HDR.jpg (687 KB, 2080x1170) Image search: [Google]
20150517_163947_HDR.jpg
687 KB, 2080x1170
The first two shots from a new case of 500 rounds from Freedom Munitions did pic related.

They replaced the whole 500 round case, including sending a shipping label to send the remaining 498 rounds back. I still shoot some now and then but I don't trust them.
>>
>>29088102
Doesn't look like the shoulder moved up any, but the bulge at the bottom of the case looks like an out of battery firing. Did you happen to keep the casings that fired ok?
>>
>>29088095
What i meant was people that reload do not buy reloaded ammunition. That or they are retarded.
Reloaders know not to trust other peoples reloads or they are very foolish
>>
>>29087839
Dude, you aren't getting case flow like that unless something is really fucked up... My guess is the Paco they have filling the powder hopper for $3.50 an hour under the table can't read English and filled shit up with a much faster powder...
>>
>>29088102
That doesn't look at all like an ammo problem. That looks like a super out of fucking spec headspace issue. See how near the bottom of the casing it has an abrupt step? That is because the rest of the casing was supported, but not the last 1/4-3/8". Check your rifle, not the ammo.
>>
>buying reloaded ammo
>ever

You fucking idiot. Did you think we were meming you when we said don't buy fucking reloads?
>>
>>29088193
Well yeah, just like the boot break-in period meme :^)
>>
>>29088159

Figure I should add I shot thousands of rounds of Freedom Munitions stuff before this. Then the squibs happened and some 9mm had obviously dangerously light loads. I don't buy it anymore.
>>
>>29088182
I'm not saying you're wrong, but why would the hundreds/thousands of rounds I've shot prior to this have never had an issue?
>>
>>29088210
kek

People who can't separate memes from actual advice are idiots.
>>
>>29088230
It was a joke, you autist.
>>
OP is your barrel .223 marked?
>>
How does one know if the manufacturer he's buying ammo from is selling reloaded rounds?
>>
>>29088262
It should say remanufactured.
>>
>>29088262
They will have it marked as REMAN usually....USUALLY.....
>>
>>29088047
>>29088127
>>29088159
I don't know what the fuck they're doing at Freedom Munitions but they should be running the place like they're manufacturing the ammo from scratch. There's nothing inherently wrong with buying professionally-loaded (factory, etc) ammunition but when you have some dudes in a basement doing it by hand then you're essentially buying handloads and that's retarded.

>>29088175
Got it. Yeah, I don't disagree because even if you know the guy who does the reloads they've done it according to what works for them. I've used ammo reloaded by other people but it was for my rifle specifically, but that's a real specific thing. In general I don't trust handloads period, I even treat mine with some degree of suspicion.

>>29088147
>>29088110
You should be fine but I suggest never buying from these guys ever again. As for the bullet being pushed back into the brass that's a hamfisted retard playing with a press but for certain ammo it's okay. I've pressed a 9mm into the case all the way to test an experimental load, but I fired that one with a lanyard.
>>
>>29088247
no, it's marked .22lr, is that a problem? :^[
>>
>>29088182
The first round that was hot didnt have that bulge. He mentioned how hard it was to get out. I dont know anything about AR's but may it have caused the bolts headspace to fuck up?
>>
>>29088291
I'm not touching Freedom Munitions ever again, even if my 500 rounds of .38 Special don't kill me. The only reason I did is because they had a First Time Buyer 10% off thing.
>>
>>29088291
yeah, I figure I'll just shoot what I have left and get my ammo elsewhere. hopefully I don't die. I might finish off my .45acp in my blackhawk though in case someone loaded one stupid hot.
>>
>>29088235
I was in the boot thread and understand your joke. It's not going to stop me from stating that people who can't figure out what's real advice and what's a joke on anonymous Cambodian cave painting forums are idiots.
>>
>>29088295
Nigger what I meant was, could 5.56 have caused this being shot out of .223 barrel?
>>
>>29088285
>remanufacturers spending money to stamp something on a casing?
>>
>>29088019
>implying I go to the dentist
>>
While we're on the subject of ammo manufacturers, does anyone know if ZQI is new production ammo, or remanufactured?
>>
>>29088323
it's a .223 barrel and as I stated in op, it was .223 ammo.
>>
>>29088214

's kinda how a breakdown works, It's fine until it isn't. Not worth the chance, though. It does make me laugh that they have no way of dealing with this awful PR in hurr.
>>
>>29088330
I said nothing about casing stamps. I was talking about them having on the listing on the website.
>>
>>29088336
new manufacture imported from turkey
>>
>>29088348
>It's fine until it isn't.
then why did the gun fire properly the rest of the day using a different bcg and factory ammo?
>>
>>29088351
I totally misunderstood you.
Yeah online they generally label them as re manufactured. If not you can always use good old google to tell you about the company.
>>
>>29087255
PSA: OP's sample size is too small to be statistically significant when you are dealing with millions of cartridges sold and used without issue. remanufactured ammunition always has a very low risk of failure, but that is not the same as no risk of failure. if you want to eliminate this risk either do not use reloaded ammunition, or inspect all cartridges prior to use (as recommended by most manufacturers).

as an anecdote, i have used freedom munitions (and other reloaded/remanufactured) ammunition for 20 years, usually numbering in thousands (i have about 2k in FM reloads through my AR currently) and have not experienced a malfunction other than one batch that was a little low on velocity and a few cartridges that failed to extract last year sometime.

in your pic, that looks like a blowout from being doublestuffed or something. definitely inform FM
>>
>>29087255
shitty bro but at least you don't have any new holes in you
>>
>>29087424
Nigger, it's pretty unlikely for a manufacturer of any kind to have these issues. Reloaded ammo carries a higher risk of bad batches. It isn't exclusive to Freedom (or UMC/Remington, or Winchester, or ATK, or Federal, or PMC, or anyone else).
>>
>>29087507
Is sweeping up all of the brass at a range for scrap metal worth it? I wouldn't feel right selling it because of shit like OP's post happening, but a few minutes with a broom could get me a bucket full of brass, my range is operated by the DNR and has no RO or other employees, except for whoever changes the plywood backings.
>>
Freedom Munition = Eldest Son

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eldest_Son
>>
>>29088375

Don't look at me, man. I closed the thread after that first post and don't intend to come back. Avoid the unconcealed. Get rid of what they sent you and call it a lesson learned cheap (no eyes lost!)
>>
>>29088553
Scrap brass is like a buck fifty a pound or so depending on your recycler... Some don't pay as much for firearm brass though so it may be worth melting it down into ingot...
>>
>>29088553
It's not actually brass for one, most cartridges are technically a bronze metal.

Aside from that I really don't know if you have the means to process the metal yourself. If you can, you can usually get better prices if you sell those ingots rather than straight casings because a lot of people get bitchy when lead's involved.
>>
What a tard thread.

About to order 200 dollars of ammo from them. I used hundreds of their pistol rounds without a hiccup so far.
>>
>>29088703
>show ammo from a place that blew up
>hurr retard, there ammo is fine
I don't understand
>>
>>29087424

Saying they've never had problems with it doesn't make them shills. This is a place to discuss ideas, experiences, and opinions. If this were anywhere near a common problem, then this company wouldn't be in business and probably have several lawsuits tied to them.
>>
>>29087634

Is that a squib load?
Because it looks like a cork load.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.