[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the reason that all BCG's aren't milspec?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: ar15_sp1_m16carriers_sm.jpg (100 KB, 800x508) Image search: [Google]
ar15_sp1_m16carriers_sm.jpg
100 KB, 800x508
What is the reason that all BCG's aren't milspec?
>>
Because milspec is a meme
>>
>>29085802
>>29085802
Well judging from the pic I would say there are some very real differences.
>>
>>29085851
Back when the AWB was in place you couldn't have a milspec BCG because it allows for FA fire with an auto sear.
>>
>>29085789
Because if you're not shooting FA or Burst then you don't need the milspec BCG. Just another way to reduce weight.
>>
>>29086068
In other words it allows for the manufactures to get out cheaper.
>>
>>29086159
its not cheaper
those extra cuts make machining longer and you dont save on material cause its getting cut away

the only reason is to legally cover your ass
>>
>>29086159
If it's cheaper for them it's cheaper for you...and lighter, as I mentioned.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 480x360
Pretty sure BCGs are milspec
>>
>>29086207
lighter is only a good thing for the shooter not the gun
mass makes a gun more reliable and tolerant to ammo variation
>>
The same reason we have commercial-spec buffer tubes; the 90s were a fucking awful time to be an AR owner.
>>
>>29086289
What's the point in that?
>>
milspec question. is there commercial and milspec buffer tube springs? i had my buffer tube replaced from commercial to milspec but have the same spring, it sounds like the spring is brushing against the tube when i pull back the charging handle.
>>
>>29086784
no
the inside diameter is the same

put some lube or grease to reduce the sproing
>>
>>29086656
AWB
do you not remember the Federal AWB from 94-04
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban
Thank christ it had a sunset provision or we would have cali tier laws NATION WIDE
>>
>>29086814
thank you
>>
>>29086656
The market hadn't reached standardization, you had people releasing out of spec components and labeling them as "commercial spec". This was also when you had steel lowers and, of course, the AWB taking up most of the decade. It was a complete shitshow.
>>
>>29086860
>steel lowers

i love my registered m16 steel lower. magdumping 9mm or 7.62x39 suppressed, getting your trigger finger completely blackened from the gasses venting thru the trigger opening, is a fucking experience. do that with an aluminum lower and you'll egg the hammer pin holes eventually. no DIAS timing issues to debug with different uppers either.
>>
>>29085789
Because of quick can openers
>>
The SP1 carrier was available WAY before the AWB. We're talking decades here. Colt was trying to cuck the owners out of full auto and inadvertently made the rifle easier to convert via the LL. They remedied this by cutting off the remainder of the tail. Anything else you hear is bullshit.
>>
>>29090839
Lightning link only works on sp1 bolts right?
>>
Lighter BCGs can cause bolt bounce
>>
>>29085789
1994 AWB
>>
>>29092160
I never knew it applied to internals I only thought it was the external features.
>>
>>29085789
because Colt should be spelled Cuck
>>
>>29092963
>implying colt isnt the best sub $1k rifle you can buy
>>
>>29094458
>buying prebuilt
lmao
>>
>>29094468
I just want that rollmark tho
>>
>>29094458
>bankrupt
>doesn't make a midlength
>$200 more than other guns made from the literal same parts

Yeah, no. Colts are exclusively for autists.
>>
>>29095819
>bankrupt
Nope
>not buying ak anyways
U done been
>>
>>29095819
>midlength
>special snowflak

Pick 2
>>
>>29097045

what's wrong about midlengths?
>>
>>29097181
It's not the Walmart special 16 inch carbine M4gery he bought.
>>
>>29097181
offers no real improvement over carbine. Just something so faggots can brag about being different.
>>
>>29086784
>>29086814
A company called damage industries also makes an "enhanced" recoil spring which reduces the noise and honestly I thought they were full of shit but I do dig it. They go for about 11$
>>
>>29095819
>midlength
Literally a meme, completely useless setup.
>>
>>29097200
>offers no real improvement over carbine.
Longer sight radius, more rail space, softer recoil. Deal with it, povertyfag.
>>
>>29091061
correct
>>
>>29098043

You forgot that some carbine length gas tubes can cause timing issues that try and rip the case out of the chamber too fast causing extra wear or malfunctions when used with some sets of BCG and buffer springs. If you have a light bolt and a light spring with a short gas tube its very likely to try and extract early especially when shooting steel case ammo.

This is why mil spec is a thing. Its the standard because its reliable and easy to manufacture. Ill take a M16 bolt and standard spring over some bullshit enhanced civilian package anyday. More often than not enhanced is just shorthand for half as reliable and twice as expensive.

Im also the kind of person that prefers full rifle gas systems and doesnt care for fancy handguards with 30 sets of rails.
>>
Generally, heavier BCGs are more reliable.
You definitely don't want to take any weight *off* of a BCG, that'd be insane.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.