[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is West Point worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: West Point.jpg (159 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
West Point.jpg
159 KB, 1024x768
Is West Point worth it?
>>
>>29072464
You'd never get in so what's the point of asking this question?
>>
You want to be in the actual upper class? Yes.

West Point is a stepping stone. Nothing more.
>>
No.

Go to a REAL college. Drink away your weekends and fuck qt from class. Smoke bowls, sleep in sometimes.

THEN take your worthwhile degree and experiences and go to OCS or enlist if you actually want to do stuff.

Academy is for lifers who want to spend their careers sucking dick and kissing ass to end their career at WESTCOM VICEGEOPLAT SECRETARY having never set foot in the field for the last 12 years.
>>
>>29072464
If you don't want a social life sure, but you should probably just go to a normal 4 year university and experience the college life.
>>
>>29072464
Depends.

If you want to give your life to the Army, it's an awesome college, up there with Harvard and Stanford. A West Point class ring will open doors you didn't even know existed, you will become a well respected and powerful individual in your lifetime.

However, the USMA grads I've met are spergs, they don't know how to talk to women, they don't really drink, and they all seem a little bit autistic. To get in you need AT LEAST a 3.5 GPA, 1300+ SAT/30+ ACT,and you need to be nominated by your congressman. The people you want to be leading a platoon into combat aren't necessarily the landed upper-class gentry that were nerdy enough in high school to qualify-for that, I'd rather an ROTC grad from a state college, or better yet a prior-enlisted OCS grad to lead me into battle.

So it's really up to you; depending on the life you want to live.
>>
File: 1383445028202.gif (495 KB, 500x223) Image search: [Google]
1383445028202.gif
495 KB, 500x223
>tfw company wants to put me into a slot to possibly send me to West Point (something about sending young enlisted personnel to become officers, don't know what this program is called)
>tfw would like to but want to get out of military life as soon as possible and don't wanna be lmao2LT
>tfw I'm the only eligible candidate in company
>>
>>29072464
Air Force Academy is better. You even get a chance to fly fighter jets afterwards.
>>
I never made it out of high school.
>>
>>29072464
no, go to real college, party, sleep in til 12 pm every day. then after college just go in as an officer.
>>
WestPoint is a decent college.

They just turn out the shittiest officers. I don't know how you can spend 4 years playing Army. Then come to your first unit and not know how to set up your cot or LBE. The LT getting lost cliche is real too. A private fresh from basic can land nav better than a West Point LT.

In fact I don't know what they do at West Point. A private can do everything better than an LT.
>>
>>29073752
Except it is run by a bunch of evangelical fuck nuts. You'll end up not being a pilot or stuck flying cargo or helicopters if they don't think you want to "please Jesus" as much as they do.
>>
Just join the police academy yiu get a gun a car and you get to run because you have too. All great perks.
>>
File: don't do it, comrade!.jpg (33 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
don't do it, comrade!.jpg
33 KB, 400x400
>>29072464
No. Absolutely not. Don't consider it, there is no way you will beat cho's high score!
>>
>>29073942
How good you do in the academy has no bearing on which airframe you fly, fuckstick.
>>
>>29073752
Not much anymore. USAFA recently did a policy change such that anyone who got flight rated is also rated to fly drones, and guess what they really need? Officer drone pilots.
>>29073942
Except you're living in the 1970s apparently. Not going to church service hasn't gotten Cadets demerits since before 1979, and if you want to fly heliplopers Annapolis does just as well, you can go into Marine Corps aviation.
>>
>>29074860
The rated boards are a tiered system. So all the rated candidates come up to the Pilot Board, the very best get pulled out of that, then the CSO Board gets their pick, then RPA, then ABM. If you're a Pilot select, you go to real pilot school, you get through that, you're most likely going to be a pilot. It's the gray area in between where pilot selects drop out of Pilot Training and become CSOs (if they're qualified, the requirements don't fully overlap) or RPA pilots or ABMs.
>>
>>29075032
I don't know all the details, just what comes through the grapevine from my family member currently in USAFA. All that was expressed to me was that everyone that joined specifically to be pilots and got rated as such, are now at risk of flying drones instead. Kind of like how nobody wanted to end up as a missile man in the 60s.
>>
>>29073882
You have to enlist first, you don't become an officer until you're 2 year of service or after you're o1 is ranked, because that makes even less sense than what you adviced. You're probably a jag how funny for 4chan
>>
>>29072932

>Smoke bowls

Smoke a 12 gauge.
>>
>>29073575
>Successful people seem autistic to me
>>
>>29073942
>butt blasted fedora detected
>>
>>29073921
>The LT getting lost cliche is real too. A private fresh from basic can land nav better than a West Point LT.

NCOs exist for a reason, anon.
>>
>>29073942

Stay on the ground you godless commie! Jesus don't need you ruinin' his airspace.
>>
>>29072464
VMI is tougher. Citadel is tougher. West Point is more forgiving and sets you up for a better Military career. But you'll still be a pussy compared to the other two.
>>
>>29072464
sort of related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoUkh1wpxxg
>>
>>29073575

Seems like the restrictions have tightened from when I last glanced over them; too many blokes trying to be the next Patton getting in?
>>
>>29073921
A LT fresh from OCS or even ROTC can probably landnav better than anybody. They stress that a lot now.

>falling for le lost LT maymay
>thinking privates>LT's
>not knowing what NCO's are

frig off Randy.
>>
>>29074300
Sure, and i'm the queen of England.
>>
>>29074860
Being noticed as a fedora at air force Academy will still get you problems.

Though they have been tryING to be better, in the past few years. They built some sort of stone circle for the pagans.
>>
>>29075678
I should not have to train the basics into people that get paid more than me and have all that time in military training.

Hard enough keeping the shop running and dealing with privates.
>>
>>29073687
are you in a company of mechanics? lmao everyone i know gets those emails.
>>
Correction you're picked or volunteer for officer training. I've waited for tomatoes to come back from recall but I can be of some use after 2 and half months.
>>
File: 20150514_101158.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150514_101158.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>29075765
I did OCS and getting 5/5 on Red Diamond Field is a lot different from leading your convoy chalk to the FOB in the dark.

>>falling for le lost LT maymay

Yet at least one LT does gets everyone lost every single time we leave the MP. Real land nav is developed from years of experience driving and hiking. You wont get any of that from WP, ROTC or OCS. It's the same way AIT only 'qualifies' you for your job then you need to get the actual certifications at your unit. If you are too proud to rely heavily on your NCOs(and not just the PSG who is usually either too new or too old at the job to be of use) then you will fail spectacularly at being a junior officer. Just ask for advice or (respectfully) request 'assistance'(Can you do this for me? I don't know shit but I'm willing to learn). Most don't though, precisely because ROTC, WP and OCS teach you exactly the opposite attitude however.
>>
>>29072464
>Free
>Good Academics
>4 year degrees
>Guaranteed job even if you do bullshit like Art History
>Get to be a condescending douche to enlisted

Sounds like a bad deal Anon.
>>
Only the best crossdressers are allowed.
>>
>>29072464
have fun being a slave for 4 years, just go rotc and get a scholarship.

honestly dont go into a mil college you will regret it
>>
>>29072464
>shit college, not even ranked in top 100 in the country
>shit curriculum
>shit people
>shit job prospects

Maybe worth it if you want to suck politician dick for a living
>>
My first platoon leader was a West Point graduate.

He was extremely idealistic. Was a very intelligent person, but was constantly putting his platoon (me included) in risk in just training missions to show off to the commander, or to get brownie points or something. Let alone in Iraq. He told me he felt that war is like chess, and that we as his soldiers were his pawns (he was sleep deprived that night and was only talking to me in the Bradley while I was on radio guard, so I felt like he sincerely felt that way). That is how he treated us; as pawns in his game for personal advancement, and while he tried to be close to "his men" it was very disingenuous and would roll over on people at the drop of a hat.

My 2nd platoon leader was just from OCS and he was the best officer I ever met in the Army, and the only officer I actually respected as a man and a leader. He truly cared for the well being of his men and showed it often. The saying "I would follow him to hell and back" comes to mind when I think about him. He was modest and not an arrogant asshole, and I think that's because he had been a contractor before joining the Army and had already seen some shit in Iraq.

West Point, in my experience produces giant sacks of idealistic piss n vinegar "leaders" that I'm amazed could even tie their own boot laces.
>>
>>29075855
Actually, no one at USAFA, cadet or permanent party, cares about your faith. It doesn't have any bearing on your class standing or job assignment or anything for that matter.
>>
>>29072464
If you can go, go. Though its really not all its cracked up to be. There are great officers who never went to an academy. There are great officers who have been to an academy. Its all on the individual, not the institution he came from.
>>
>>29075812
Which plane you get is determined only by your class ranking in UPT/ENJJPT. Sorry your majesty.
>>
>>29078915

that being said, 8/10 of my F-15E B-course's pilots were USAFA grads (and 5 were T-6 FAIPs).

my class is kinda unusual though.

but overall there are always going to be a lot of fighter pilots who went to the academy.

and cargo pilots

and spec ops pilots

and helo pilots

and bomber pilots

one of my friends pointed out that USAFA makes pilots, like West Point makes combat arms officers and Annapolis makes sailors.

>>29076826

people do care, i'm sure, but more as in the "i'm your friend and i want to talk to you about something that i enjoy (my religion) and that i think you would enjoy too" mindset and not the "well i didn't see you at church this weekend... that's 3% off your midterm" mindset.
>>
>>29078958
>My Class was mostly USAFA graduates.

Definitely a common occurence, but I think that's less a bias towards USAFA grads getting fighter airframes and more of something else. Is it easier to get an ENJJPT slot through the academy rather than OTS/ROTC? There's also the idea that these people were conditioned for the past 4 years to want nothing more than to gottagofast, so you end up with a much more selective group of graduates than in ROTC and OTS.

I remember that my old CFI told me that USAFA grads that didn't apply/want to be pilots were subjected to an automatic psyche evaluation, he was probably just fucking with me though.
>>
>>29076664
That sounds like my time at USMA. Most of the faculty were military, coming from a variety of backgrounds. The old grad instructors could be pretty awful, incredibly arrogant and often with mediocre qualifications for what they were teaching. Most were fine, but worst were absolutely insufferable. Even the ROTC commissioned officers were better (and less autistic) by O4. OCS produced the best officers.

There is actually a process by which mildly arrogant young people metastasize into the scum you served under. It is actually sort of disturbing.
>>
>>29078999

well from what i heard, it used to be that if you weren't physically disqualified from being a pilot and you graduated from USAFA, you had to tell the commandant in person why you weren't going to be a pilot.

and everybody starts off UPT/UCT wanting fighters. i spoke at "career day" for OTS talking to people going to UCT. probably 20 out of the 24 there wanted fighters. by the time you finish, it's more like 3-4 out of 20 for F-15E's and B-1's
>>
>>29076664
>we as his soldiers were his pawns
The relationship of a soldier and officer is that of a servant and master. He shouldn't have said that to you, because it should have already been abundantly clear to both of you.

You are pawns. He is someone else's pawn. That's how this works.

>in his game for personal advancement
I really hope this wasn't the case, and that you're confusing being treated as a pawn with being treated as a tool.
>>
>>29079191
>You are pawns. He is someone else's pawn. That's how this works.

No shit.
The point I was trying to make is that he was arrogant and used us for his own personal gain, while my 2nd platoon leader didn't. My 2nd PL shared meals, joked, he helped out with stuff, he stood up for us, he was honest with us, he wasn't arrogant, in fact very modest. While my first PL demanded respect, my 2nd PL earned it a 100x over. We literally would have done anything for him, and we trusted each other with our lives. My first PL, no one trusted. It's the fact that our first platoon leader SAW us and treated us as his pawns, compared to our 2nd PL seeing us and treating us as his brothers.

Of course we knew we were actual pawns you dense mofo.
>>
How are Texas A&M graduates considered in the military? Aren't they supposed to be on the more autistic side of things?
>>
>>29079044
I'm in AFROTC right now, and supposedly the Academy guys can get the height req's for pilot waived, while we can't. I know a girl that's 5'1", and currently she is not qualified to fly, but if she went to the Academy she could probably get pilot
>>
I didn't get into USNA on my first try, so I'm currently at local state uni. Was told by dean of admissions I was close last time. Now I'm just waiting for the letter to get me in. It's worth it if you think it'll open you some doors you want opened. I'm doing it because I want to innaspace, and I can't think of a better way than 60 AP credits --> USNA MechE --> Nuclear Officer --> Astronaut.
>>
>>29079044
What makes people change their minds? I'm planning on joining the reserves or ANG and have been leaning towards fighters, although I know a fuckton of C-130 pilots so that would be an easy slot to get.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.