[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/ - Military Enlistment General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: Kilgore.jpg (49 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
Kilgore.jpg
49 KB, 500x625
/meg/ - Military Enlistment General
I didn't see a thread Edition

>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857

Ask questions, get advice from retards, bitch about recruiters, accuse each other of stolen valor over melty-cheesy hot pockets and Mountain Dew.
>>
Joining the military is the worst mistake you could ever make.
Do not do this unless you are 100% out of other options. I regret the day I ever joined
>>
>>28886460

Sounds like you chose a shitty job. The military has been awesome to me.

YMMV depending on where in the military you end up.
>>
File: 1366338947001.jpg (14 KB, 253x238) Image search: [Google]
1366338947001.jpg
14 KB, 253x238
hi, I have mental health problems that I'm trying to sort out with a therapist. When I get my brain fixed will the Air Force frown upon my mental health history if I try signing up?
>>
>>28886634

I should've said which Air Force, US Air Force
>>
>>28886568
I'm a medic, which people always say is a good job.
It's been fucking terrible, and I was a infantry platoon medic
>>
>>28886694
68w or a corpsman?
>>
>>28886795
68W
>>
File: regiff.gif (954 KB, 366x293) Image search: [Google]
regiff.gif
954 KB, 366x293
Don't be a Boatwain's Mate. Please, don't fucking do it.

v/r, anon.
>>
So what's fort sill like?
>>
>>28886817
Please elaborate on why it was shit

That's my MOS and I leave in 2 weeks
>>
I've just started talking to an USAF recruiter this week, scored an 88 on the practice ASVAB. I want to get into the mechanic jobs, how available are these positions now? Should i even consider Navy or Marine aviation?
>>
daily reminder that the military isn't a cure-all for being a loser
>>
Am I weird for going up to guys wearing veteran hats and shaking their hand and thanking them for their service? I always get strange looks
>>
>ocs board is in april
>have been waiting since december
i fucking hate myself, i think ill just drop this shit and go enlisted
>>
>>28887664
Well they are wearing hats....

Basically I think the less said from either party, the better
>>
File: IMG_2160.jpg (682 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2160.jpg
682 KB, 1632x1224
>>28887362
No with an 88 do something smarter with yourself, pic related is all you do. That was me.
>>
I asked this question last thread, but did not see an answer:

The first time I enlisted over two years ago, I did not get a bonus. I was discharged for reasons during BCT, and now I'm enlisted again with the same job as before, but with a $9,000 bonus. Why is this so? MOS is 35N by the way.
>>
>>28888008
why were you discharged? needs change i suppose, are you quick shipping?
>>
I want to join the British Parachute regiment

what kind of training should I be doing as prep?

I'm planning on applying in September.
>>
>tfw about to head off to fleet Marine force after having been at mos school since june, and in the Corps since last February
>>
File: 1409243467360.jpg (4 KB, 125x120) Image search: [Google]
1409243467360.jpg
4 KB, 125x120
>>28888008
>mfw e4(p) and only got a 3k bonus as a 35N
>>
>>28888077
Run run run run run
>>
>>28887362
>>28887933
Why not? I got a 93 and joined the Marines.
>>
>>28887888
I guess I just feel like I have to prove that not everyone from my generation is sheltered and materialistic. Like these guys don't get enough respect from millennials and I feel bad about that
>>
File: IMG_2092.png (295 KB, 719x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2092.png
295 KB, 719x1280
Is Nuke really as bad as everyone says? I've been getting mixed responses about the school and the lifestyle.
>>
>>28888113

thanks chief
>>
>>28888008
>Why is this so?
Bonuses change all the time, for the same MOS.

I enlisted as a 35F in 2006, for a $2-3000 bonus.

A guy I ended up becoming buddies with and working with went through the AIT class two behind mine (so a few months apart) and got like $20,000.
>>
>>28888138

There are tons of jobs in the military that suck, and a few that are pretty cushy and nice.

The problem with nuke is that they want someone who is smart enough to qualify for a cushy job, but the workload/stress sucks. Anyone that can pass nuke school can go into a better field.
>>
>>28888126
Explore your true potential any retard can turn a wrench on an airplane. You dont want to be the smart one in your group it stagnates your ability to learn.
>>
>>28888213
Better as far as working conditions? Or better skillset/advancement?
>>
>>28887255
It's peacetime. You will literally never, ever do anything medical during your enlistment unless you get a hospital assignment, which is very unlikely.
The most you expect to do is give an IV to your friends when they're hungover, otherwise the majority of your time will be spent sitting on your thumb in your aid station playing on your phone, pulling weeds, working on vehicles that are always broken and you'll never use, and basically doing everything but being a medic.
Even if you get assigned as a line medic, you'll still never do anything medical. I was in an infantry platoon and I know the battle drills and how to move shoot and communicate with them, but any monkey can learn an infantryman's job. You'll put tourniquets on in mad down drills, and everyone will either suck your dick for it or call you a shitbag medic for not having deployed.
Maybe, if you're lucky you'll get tasked to a TMC and screen patients for your battalion PA, I did that for a short time and it was literally the only time I felt like a medic.

If you don't get in a line unit, and if you do or not is completely luck, and get in a BSB, you will do nothing but equipment layouts and work in the motorpool your entire enlistment, dreaming about being in a line unit and actually getting to do something else

Medic is glorified a lot, and it can be cool, but not in garrison, not in peace time, You will never be a medic in garrison and your skill will erode from the moment you leave AIT.
Also, a medic ceases to be a medic the moment he becomes an NCO, which is nearly impossible as a medic because it's overstrengthed as fuck and promotion points are literally always maxed out. Medic NCOs don't do jack shit and I have never, ever seen one who knew how to be a medic after some time being promoted. Only the junior enlisted will ever do something medical, the NCOs just babysit them.

If you do become a medic, go Ranger or SF or flight medic, not a normal 68w.
>>
>>28887409
If anything being in the military will make you bitter and cynical and pessimistic and just an overall terrible person. It happens to the best of us
>>
File: 150127-F-OC707-003.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2189) Image search: [Google]
150127-F-OC707-003.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2189
>>28887933
Okay, but i really want to work with aircraft, and i'm in no way gonna be a pilot. I figure i go in as an avionics technician or something, come out being all chummy with Lockheed or something and work for them when i'm out of there. Is this a good plan?

Pic related is the ultimate goal.
>>
>>28888273

Both. Nukes learn good shit, and get some extra incentives, but it is mostly recruiter hype because it is so hard to get bodies into those slots.
>>
All I ever wanted in life was to die in combat, but now it looks like I won't even get that opportunity
>>
>>28888453
Shoot up a school or mall, I'm sure some law enforcement official will get a combat award for shooting you.
>>
Anyone thinking about joining the military, ask me anything
I will proceed to shit on you until you would rather kill yourself than enlist in this terrible organization. I will make you feel what I have been feeling for years
>>
>>28888303
>i'm bored
>peacetime only sucks for le medikz
>i wish i was where life is terrible and my friends might die so i can feel good about trying to help them even if the injury is too severe and they die anyway

i want reddit to LEEEEEEAAAAAAAAVVVVEEEE
>>
>>28888303
>>28888601
This. Fuck off, reddit Your tits are too big.
>>
>>28888601
It goes much, much deeper than that.
>>
>>28888613
i bet it does, faggot

your fault you took a job to feed your savior complex, you self-important pleb
>>
>tfw have my nuke interview in like 5 weeks
>tfw have to relearn physics and calculus since Comp Sci major
>tfw dont even want to go nuke anyways

I really wanted to be a pilot, but got nuke drafted. I'd rather go SWO though than Nuke. I dont want to be disrespectful or anything at the interview, but I really, really dont want to go subs or nuke swo. Should I just tell the admiral that?

Best case scenario is don't pass the interview and get aviation instead. The more likely scenario is fail the interview and go SWO. But how do I accomplish this w/o looking like an asshole or being disrespectful?
>>
>>28888042

I was in horrible, horrible shape and couldn't pass the APFT. Didn't help I sprained my ankle two weeks in and did nothing about it.

I'm shipping March 14th and got back in two days ago, so I guess that's pretty quick.
>>
>>28885759
>enlisting
>not commissioning as a professional gentleman of arms

Enjoy your shit pay, you sorry bunch of plebs! You all have to work 12s while I go have a two hour lunch and leave at 1500!
>>
>>28888376
What job would provide better skills and experience then?
And I know it's needs of the Navy, but with a Nuke contract, should one volunteer for fast attack or a boomer?
>>
>>28888374
>avionics technician
That is the place you want to be if you want the brightest future, dont be an air framer.
>>
>>28888546

Kek. My lieutenant colonel tried to give me ice cream last month. No shit, he came by with a little paper hat and tried to give me ice cream at my desk.
>>
>>28888733
Good, now how can i guarantee my MOS? Recruiter and his boss were flingin' jobs at me left and right telling me that the mechanic and avionics tech jobs were open as fug.
>>
>>28888805
>tried to
are you saying you didn't accept?
>>
>>28888816

Had tacos for lunch. Ice cream and tacos do not mix.
>>
>>28888723
CTN masterrace.

Really though, anything in the technology or intelligence communities will get you a nice government/contractor gig post service and you won't hate every single day you spend in uniform.
>>
>>28888805
>LtCol
>at my desk
Officer pls go. This thread is for us lowly enlisted scum
>>
>>28885759
Going Marines but waiting cause there's no fucking infantry contracts available REEEEEEEEE
Gonna try for 0311 Rifleman or 0331 Machine Gunner
My Coastie Dad is trying to get me to go Army instead....
Anyone on here done either of those or have any stories about it?
>>
>>28888940

I'm a SPC bro. I just didn't choose some seriousbusiness "combat arms" bullshit. That is why I have a desk and decent quality of life.
>>
should i wait for an ocs slot or go corpsman?
>>
File: don'tdothat.jpg (20 KB, 235x236) Image search: [Google]
don'tdothat.jpg
20 KB, 235x236
>>28888955
>going Marines
>infantry
>actually wanting to go so bad you're willing to wait for it
>mfw

You've only got one life, and that's how you're choosing to spend it?
If I wasn't such an asshole I would try and talk you out of it, but I'm just sitting here laughing at you
>>
>>28888980
S1 pls stop losing my paper work. I'm sick of making copies over and over for packets that you're just going to "lose" anyway
You have on job, and across the board you all are terrible at it.
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 750x1334
>>28888955
>>
>>28886634
Get a army of one score in their aptitude test, if you join the royal air force ask your father to print out a job application then he can hand that in and your good to go. Be all you can be.
>>
>>28888374
I want to whisper song lyrics into big Boss's ear yeah that is a nice job.
>>
>>28887933
This is why we have planes falling apart in the sky we start using them like a first hit a crack
>>
>>28888242
I smoke weed and that stagnates the motility of my seen what's are you saying. If I swing swing right back you'll have 3 second until I move on, in America you can swing on me 3 times until it's legal to return it right back.
>>
Got a 97 on the asvab, 131 gt score. If I did go the 18x route how hard would classes and shit be after the q course (which assumes I make it through the q course and I know that's a pretty slim chance). And if I didn't make it would I just get dumped into the 82nd? Do I still have to ability to make a list of where I'd like to be stationed or no?
>>
>>28888127
Yall invented it the word why call a nigger if he ain't calling niggas
>>
>>28889473
Assuming you're telling the truth you're smarter than 99% of the military and will probably hate being stuck working with all the usual mouth breathers that join
Don't waste your time and life and brain with the military
>>
>>28889473

Most academic courses in the Army are 2-year degree level at worst, although there are some exceptions. The reason some people struggle with academics is because they never learned how to study.

If you fail you would probably get dumped in the 82nd. If it makes you feel better, nobody else gets a choice in where they get sent after AIT either. You do "wish lists" but they're immediately shredded.
>>
>>28889576
>97 on ASVAB
>Smarter than 99% of the military.

Someone has no idea how percentile scores work.

Since the bottom 30%~ aren't even allowed to join, the military doesn't even have a normal distribution. Furthermore, SF candidates have tougher GT standards, so the distribution is even more skewed there.
>>
>>28889576
Why the hell would I lie on an anonymous pangean coin collecting board? Any idea about my question of where of where I'd be stationed? And can I view my asvab scores online? I'd prove it to you if I could brother.
>>
>>28889589
Haha yes, the famous wish list. It's literally a placebo to make new recruits feel good. They're completely and utterly fake and immediately discarded.
To be honest, it amazing me that they can keep a straight face when they tell you to fill it out
>>
>>28889589
Shit, for real??? I was thinking it'd be cool to be part of the 173rd, that's a bummer
>>
>>28889618
SF candidates have to have a 105 or 110, can't remember which. If you have a 110 you can join any job in the army
The average soldier probably between a 75-100. If someone has a 130 they're miles ahead of almost everyone

People love to talk about their actually ASVAB score but the GT score is really all that matters
>>
>>28888203
Why even worry about a career when I don't understand what that means. If I get 30,000 I'm buying drugs and flipping that shut buying radios and and more drugs starting a group oh wait where did that go..... is that one whole check or you're biweekly kind of thanks for working in the military check e-1 gets 1100 (ass of) 2004 not counting uniform, special duty task. I get 11 for printing and making charts at a real estate office then get paid with dick for cleaning the toilets. And I'm not in a real estate office if I mind getting paid some dick.
>>
>>28889661
Ehhh, I don't know man, I think the asvab tests how good of a test taker you are (for the most part). I'm decent at math/reading but I know fuck all about mechanical/electrical shit and still got a 131 just because I'm great at taking multiple choice exams
>>
>>28889707
>MFW I was making $60k~/yr 3 years after enlisting.

>MFW you're still working for $11 an hour because you like to focus on how much E1s made 12 years ago even though you hold that rank for all of 6 months.

>MFW I have no face.
>>
>>28889726
Pretty much how I am. I got upper high on the reading comprehension and I'm pretty damn good at mechanical despite never being a mechanic or anything
But I bombed the math portion so bad. Still got a 120 GT so everything in the army was open to me and I'll never have to worry about not being able to apply for army schools because of a low GT like several people(ahem, infantry) I know personally
>>
I'm two years in the Army, one year in 82nd.
I need advice on getting ready for selection and Q course. Any words of wisdom?
>>
>>28889436
You might be on to something, we did have planes go down and pieces fall off.
>>
File: I served overseas starter pack.jpg (78 KB, 675x747) Image search: [Google]
I served overseas starter pack.jpg
78 KB, 675x747
so many welfare queens in here... you guys should try getting a real job.
>>
>>28889785
Rucking, rucking and more rucking. Get to the point where you can do a 12 mile with a heavy ass ruck with not much problems
One of my best friends in my platoon recently passed selection and he said they went about 20-25 miles and it was hell. And he's fit as fuck too and it bothered him
>>
>>28889846
That pic is accurate as fuck

I get out in 6 months
>>
>>28889661
I see this everywhere, none of my teachers papered me for a square plus b square assuming asvab is only a test in america. See why I don't vote, nice uniform oh it's sewn in the country my parents supposedly come from because I'm not ku klux klan white or a non accent holding African decendant.
>>
>>28889783
It's a good skill to have. What's your mos? Do you like the army life?
>>
>>28888643
Did you tell them you want to be a pilot, is it in any of your forms.
>>
>>28888805
Pedo college frat fed by a freemason maybe a mason himself faggot. Not saying that you're a faggot, we'll you are for saying that's your desk. This is my rifle, until I give it back . La la la
>>
>>28888955
Here's a story if you lose a limb. You get two kinds of mail medical bills, and charity organization mail
>>
>>28889846
I know you're joking, but if people didn't volunteer in such huge numbers the US government would simply conscript people again, the draft is still around, you sign up for it when you turn 18, unless you're a female of course.
>>
>>28888877
Suddenly I became ill
>>
>>28888877
This. CTN / CTanything. Nuke workload and additional bullshit is just not worth it once you get to your actual job and a lot of people cave under the stress. Know firsthand of 8 people who've liked themselves while I've been in. If you don't plan on doing 8 years minimum you won't even get half the benefits the recruiter hypes anyway. Anyone smart enough to do nuke can also climb the ranks at max speed in other jobs as long as they're even marginally motivated. I watched a guy wash out early in A school, become top of his class in his new rate, and go on to out rank me in only two years because he wasn't an idiot and didn't dodge work.
>>
>>28890007
Assuming you had a decent high school life if 2 females you say hi to, to two of their biffles which have no reason to know if your into girls or not then account for all the dick those 4 hoes suck that's 4 girls suckling one dick.
>>
>>28890084
word
>>
>>28890084
One female joins the military one joins the local police academy or moved out of state still become a douche cop anyway, that leaves two hoes one became a mother the other is swallowin cum and mothering at the same time. All 4 shit out a families too which your odds of huge number of volunteers may have double in less then 1 year.
>>
>>28888995
Not like anything else is worth doing. What are we living for anyways? Existing another day just to shitpost on 4chan? lol I'd be lucky if it gets me killed
>>
File: fc,550x550,white.jpg (39 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,white.jpg
39 KB, 550x550
>>28890068
I've made a terrible mistake, haven't I?
>>
File: 1454197723419.png (74 KB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
1454197723419.png
74 KB, 1162x850
>>28890194

D U M P T H E C O N T R A C T
U
M
P

BECOME A SARC
>>
>>28890349
If not for my terrible eyes I'd have tried for coolguy stuff. But alas.
>>
>>28890370

good god man don't give up hope, you wanna spend 6-8 years surrounded by spergs or you wanna actually grow as a person? and I'm pretty sure SARC's just have to meet corpsman requirements
>>
>>28889707
>Why even worry about a career when I don't understand what that means. If I get 30,000 I'm buying drugs and flipping that shut buying radios and and more drugs starting a group oh wait where did that go..... is that one whole check or you're biweekly kind of thanks for working in the military check e-1 gets 1100 (ass of) 2004 not counting uniform, special duty task. I get 11 for printing and making charts at a real estate office then get paid with dick for cleaning the toilets. And I'm not in a real estate office if I mind getting paid some dick.

Is this fucking English? Jesus Christ my sides.
>>
>>28888711
>You all have to work 12s while I go have a two hour lunch and leave at 1500!

>Someone has never actually been a commissioned officer.
>>
>>28888601
I agreed with you until
>anything I disagree with is arbitrary, unrelated website
>>
>>28889925
yeah, i put it first in service selection
>>
>>28886460
I Agree, I joined and my first and last enlistment is almost over.
>>
>>28888643
You don't have to learn any physics or calculus. Nukes are technicians, not engineers. You just have to memorize how to do shit, not learn actual engineering.

>>28888805
That sounds hilarious. If I was an officer I would do that to my men just to mess with them.

>>28888988
wait for an OCS slot easily
>>
>>28887063
It's depressing. You'll in process through the 95th which is run by drill sgts who were failures at BCT and it's just a bleak hell hole during winters.
>>
>>28886694
Airborne unit? Why didn't you go option 40? Why do you hate it?
>>
>>28887834
Don't do it man, stay Officer. If you want to deploy and live in a 40 man tent then by all means.
>>
>>28888303
Do rasp laisons come to 68w ait? Is it possible to volunteer for rasp at 68w ait if you cannot come in wth an option 4 or 40?
>>
Who /Redleg/ here? 13 Delta reporting in
>>
>>28890595
Will I at least have time to do a few online classes?
>>
>>28890654
You'll have zero time for online classes while in-processing and BCT. No time in AIT either. My suggestion if college is your main goal while serving, focus on getting to your first duty station, get a feel for your day by day activities, and then go sign up for classes! Do not be that guy who waits and regrets, I'm now having to bust my ass over seas on deployment while finishing my degree!
>>
File: 1436114682814.jpg (19 KB, 270x247) Image search: [Google]
1436114682814.jpg
19 KB, 270x247
I'm going to Benning at the end of this February, What should I be at, currently I run a 14 minute 2-mile, and can do 40 sit ups in two minutes, what diet can I do to drop extra weight, without losing energy to keep working out?

Is it still as easy as everyone used to say it was?
>>
>>28890716
Depends on your age, brother.
If you're 21 and under , that 14 minute two mile is great, sit ups and push ups need just a tad improvement and basic training is what you make of it. You'll meet a lot of retards.
>>
I really suck at running. My legs hurt, I get side cramps, I'm short of breath, the whole shabang.
I decided to try going from not doing anything to running 2 miles in 20 minutes. I know people say not to go none->a lot right away, but I didn't think 10m/mile was a lot.

Anyone have any advice for improving my run times/endurance?
>>
File: Flag of the United States Army.png (163 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
Flag of the United States Army.png
163 KB, 1280x768
>>28886460

I'm sorry you feel that way. I really like my job.
>>
>>28890713
Ya, I know that BCT and AIT mean 0 time for anything else.
I meant while at a duty station
>>
>>28890427
Are those mutually exclusive? Can I not grow while surrounded by spergs?
>>
File: 1426639493607.jpg (719 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1426639493607.jpg
719 KB, 2048x1536
>>28890653
I'm envious of your toys but not of your hearing
>>
>>28890774
>Anyone have any advice for improving my run times/endurance?
HIIT.
>>
I'm from Canada, and I've been thinking of enlisting as an infantry soldier, so I can serve my country, and get good work experience at the same time. My question is how long of a commitment would my service be? I'm hoping it could be anywhere from 3-5 years.
>>
any tips for 25Q
>>
Can somebody tell me what being in the military police is like?
>>
>>28890068
How is CTN workload compared to nuke? I heard it was the second most difficult of the rates.
>>
>>28891401
Also what bout IT is that good too?
>>
File: 1441332024747.jpg (59 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1441332024747.jpg
59 KB, 960x960
>>28888955

You mostly got troll responses, so as a former 0311 I'll chime in.

If you really want it, go for it... But heed our advice.

I joined during the Surge and was practically guaranteed combat. It's not as glorified as it seems, having friends die in combat or an IED isn't cool. Its actually quite the opposite. You'll develop a drinking habit and wonder why you and your best friend don't talk anymore. Oh yeah, he died.

Nothing wrong with Infantry, except for peacetime. Garrison life grinds a man's soul.

Being an 0311 when I was in was an outstanding experience, I don't think I'd recommend it today. Shits changed.
>>
>>28891346
Everyone will hate you.
>>
>>28890481
You can definitely do this if you truly don't care about making it past Lieutenant.
>>
>>28891346
Everyone will hate you, all of your peers will be dickheads, your chain of command will be completely unreasonable about everything. >>28891223
>>
Just got a reservation for 68w with option 4.
>Did I blow it?
>How much lying really goes on at MEPS?
>>
During DEP, if a recruiter wanted to, could they scrap a recruit's contract and allow them to wait for a different MOS to pop up?
>>
>>28891931
>How much lying really goes on at MEPS?
Now that they're getting more picky? Quite a bit.
>>
>>28888723
in my experience, boomerfags (a.k.a. "Part-time-sailors") are MUCH happier than us fast-attak studs, though many of the ones that re-up eventually wind up at a fast attack anyway and become miserable like the rest of us.
>>
>>28888940
>This thread is for us lowly enlisted scum
Military enlistment general is just a catchy term. This thread's always been for both. The purpose to clear /k/ of excess "I want to join the military in xyz capacity!" threads.
>>
>>28891346
Criminals hate you.

Some ordinary people hate you too, because of the meming criminals saying "LOLOLOL, MPs are scum! How dare they arrest us for rape and dangerous driving! Not part of the brotherhood! POGs! fssdadfghdfga!" all the damn time.
>>
>>28889846
so much butthurt in here

>dont click the thread dude
>>
>>28890716

When do you leave, the 23rd? Otherwise I'll be there with you anon.
>>
Hey /k/, I can't seem to find a definite answer so I'll ask /meg/

I'm 24 and currently employed with the United States Postal Service. Now my question is I'm interested in joining a reserve branch. I don't want to broach the topic to my Post Master or HR because they can't keep their mouths shut and they love gossip.

But would my employer be required to hold my job for the Basic Training?
>>
>>28890713
I have been in 3.5 years and have had time to take one class online ever.
We do gunnery, battalion FTX, NTC, went to Germany for JMRC, came back and then went to Europe again, came back and will go to Europe a third time for 6 months, will get back and go to NTC again and then will go to Korea for 9

I have been going non-stop with no break ever and I haven't even actually been deployed yet. I don't have time to even breath, God forbid someone is married and wants to see their family.
>>
>>28885759
FRIENDLY REMINDER

After you finish your deployment and you finally decide to kill yourself, please DON'T USE A FIREARM. Those of us interested in preserving freedom would appreciate if you didn't give the grabbers another statistic to manipulate people with.
>>
>>28891346
Terrible. Even if you are good at it they have a bad reputation, and if you want to do law enforcement when you get out, civilian LE doesn't like military police because they have to untrain things that the military drilled into you for 4+ years and teach you their way
>>
>>28892996
>MP intensifies
>>
Is this a good year to join the FFL?
>>
>>28894974
>Implying anyone is getting deployed right now.

kek
>>
>>28896407
If you want to see combat now is the perfect time , Africa is currently a shithole & will be until the end of time.
>>
I got a 92 on the ASVAB and the recruiting station commander talked me into going Electronics Maintenance. What's it like? (my branch is Marines btw)
>>
>>28891931
I saw a therapist a few times & I have a cutting scar on my arm. He told me that as long as their isn't any official record of it & if I wasn't diagnosed with anything it's as if it never happened.

They get paid to get you in so lots of them are willing to help you out
>>
>>28891003
It depends on what role you are in. Also if you want to get an enlistment bonus you have to serve 6 years.
>>
>>28897071
Instead of fiddling with rifles all day your going to be fiddling with electronics all day.

If something breaks your in trouble
>>
>>28896407
I'm planning on flying to France after my US enlistment ends later this year to try and join
>>
File: Check'em.gif (839 KB, 500x233) Image search: [Google]
Check'em.gif
839 KB, 500x233
>>28888877
I'm about to get my bachelor's in Criminal Justice and was considering going back to school and getting a Masters. So far I'm thinking of Foreign Affairs or Cyber Security (even though I have a basic understanding of computers).

I been interested in having a career in Intelligence and was thinking of the possibility of signing up for either the Air Force Reserves, Air National Guard, Navy Reserves or the Coast Guard Reserves while I go to school.

Which branch and major do you recommend someone trying to get into the Intelligence community? I heard CIA and NSA hire candidates from the Navy and Air Force during active duty so can the same happen to a reservist? Would Civil Air Patrol be a good option if I decide to still be a civilian? Since the Coast Guard is part of Homeland Security and my Criminal Justice background, is this the better route since I can also use my diploma for a career in Maritime Enforcement?

Both Air Force and Air Force National Guard have nearby bases but Coast Guard and Navy require me to drive for training. Normally I wouldn't worry about a drive to the beach but since it'll interrupt with school, I wanted to know some advice or experience from people who have been in similar situation.

God bless and thank you for your service /meg/
>>
File: 1429570792247.jpg (28 KB, 340x321) Image search: [Google]
1429570792247.jpg
28 KB, 340x321
I recently been talking to a recruiter since im in high school, i kinda agreed to start the process of enlisting but idk if im gonna make it due to minor epileptic stuff
i wanna join there are a lot of benefits but it sounds to good to be true
>can pick career (said i had great asvab scores)
>benefits
>voluntary combat stuff
is it all true
>>
>>28897659
And if i do by some miracle make it what would be some good advice about boot camp/army careers?
Also is it true that marines do more fighting than the army
>>
>>28897693
>Also is it true that marines do more fighting than the army
Completely and 100% false
>>
>>28896407
>Is this a good year to join the FFL?

There is never a good year to join the Foreign Legion, because once you've joined the Legion, you're now in the Foreign Legion.

While you may be deployed to combat zones (scratch that, you will most definitely be deployed) it will not be for very long or very often. The French Army does not like to wear its soldiers out on endless deployments.
Nor will you do very much, since France uses the 1er RPIMa for the high-speed stuff. The Legion gets sent on endless patrols, but little else. The LE is most definitely not a special operations force. It is regular army. The Legion isn't even used as a an expendable "first in, last out, soak casualties so the real French won't have to." Just plain-old regular Army, and everyone in the Army assumes you're stupid, since you probably don't speak French very well and you also joined the Legion.

Finally, it is guaranteed that you will spend AT LEAST 50% of your contract working as a janitor.

Source, ex-Legionnaire, 2004-'09.
>>
If I apply for multiple positions as a Navy officer will the board consider each one independently? Like if I put down nupoc but my first choice is something else, would they deny my first choice to try to force me to go nuclear? I know they have a huge demand for nuclear and all the recruiters are lining up to suck my dick to try to get me to go nuke, and I'd be willing to do it, but it's not my first choice.
>>
>>28897984
But how often do you go to ranges? How often do you do training?
Do you get endless breifings about not raping, and not being racist? Do you have to wear pt belts all the time?

Also, how often do you get to leave the barracks/post? Is it true you can't have a cell phone? What about married people and getting a gf?
>>
>>28898236
you dont commit to anything yet if youre applying to ocs. nupoc iirc is for people without degrees though, lets you get a degree, commission then be miserable. do you have a degree?
>>
>>28897984
Well now that shed some light on the subject, funnily enough i worked as a janitor for a few months and lately i have been looking up some french to learn, so far it is like spanish except for that weird ass pronounciation they have, my beef will be obviously physical reqs and dental health

Thanks a lot.
>>
>>28886634
Airman currently going through therapy on the government's dime

Are you taking any meds? If so, then most likely yes. I believe the waiting period is 3 years. If not, then you should be gtg. I'd reccomend dealing with your problems first before joining though.
>>
Anyone CBRN? Always been interested but I've heard mixed things about. Some tell me they never deploy regardless of the branch(aside from ot being peacetime now).
>>
>>28897079
>They get paid to get you in so lots of them are willing to help you out

Completely bullshit, by the way.

Recruiters don't get monetary incentives for recruiting people. They just get shit on a bit less for making their quota.
>>
>>28898347
I have a degree. I know I don't commit to anything with ocs. I've started dual processing with both enlisted and an officer application. Am I making a huge mistake by enlisting with a degree?
>>
>>28897553
>I heard CIA and NSA hire candidates from the Navy and Air Force during active duty so can the same happen to a reservist?

Agencies tend to hire more Army, mostly because the Army has the most technical jobs. It isn't that common to get a job offer upon completion of enlistment, but it does happen.

As a reservist though? Probably not. The biggest draw there is that you will have your clearance done, but your average reservist has no applicable experience.

Civil Air Patrol is Air Force-flavored boyscouts, nobody will care.
>>
>>28898508
You will literally do nothing, at all. Ever. Not a single fucking thing except sign out gasmasks to people and go to the gas chamber once a year for "training"

If you're lucky you'll get picked to drive the colonel's humvee, since all of ours just get picked as drivers because there's nothing else for them to do
>>
>>28898571
Aye, thank you. That's what I've heard from a few people who weren't obviously hyping it up. Guess that's why I see so many chick's in it.
>>
>>28898685
I will never forget basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood. Have our platoon were future 74Ds(CBRN) and they asked the Drill Sergeant what he knew about their MOS and the DS proceeded to shit on them by being brutally honest about it.
You could actually see the moment their hearts broke sitting there listening to them
>>
>>28898494

I want to deal with my broblems before I go in. I'm on anti-psychotics
>>
Im a day away from going to MEP's.
Problem is, I was diagnosed with ADHD at 6 and depression at 7. Also went to therapy for suicidal thoughts.
Should I lie?
Should I lie?
>>
Can I enter the SARC pipeline with an astigmatism? Or should I get PRK and then try to enter? I signed to an HM contract btw
>>
>>28898833
I have also been diagnosed with ADHD, and was also treated for depression, went on meds and everything.
Nothing happened to me, no one asks and no one cares. I've been in the Army for years now
>>
>>28898833
Pretty much everyone I know has lied about SOMETHING to get in.
>>
>>28898337
>But how often do you go to ranges? How often do you do training?
Going to the range was relatively rare. If we were in a training rotation, or getting ready for a deployment, it was weekly, but for every month spent in training two months were spent in garrison duty.

>Do you get endless breifings about not raping, and not being racist?
Yes. Of course. The Legion is fully-integrated in the French Army, and the French Army is entirely co-ed. Of course we are reminded about what constitutes appropriate behavior, including sexuality. Fortunately, sexuality in France is a little more liberated than in America. You are allowed to have sex with a female soldier and it's your collective responsibility to make sure it doesn't get weird.
Racism in the Legion is strange. You can be racist with regard to your fellow Legionnaires, but definitely not with regard to your fellow French soldier. The French person will take offense. The Legionnaire will get his friends and pound the crap out of you.

>Do you have to wear pt belts all the time?
No, I think that's an American thing, but we have to wear safety equipment like a reflector vest when we're on a work detail in the country or on a road side.

>Also, how often do you get to leave the barracks/post?
Theoretically, nightly, when the work is done. Realistically, if you bribe the corporal of the day, you can go, otherwise, don't plan on it.

Is it true you can't have a cell phone? What about married people and getting a gf?
During instruction you can't have anything, but once you are with your regiment, you can have a phone, a computer, anything you want. It will be stolen, of course, but you're allowed to buy them back as often as you like.
Girlfriends are your own business and are generally a bad idea, but if you want to get married while in the Legion, you need permission from your commanding officers, otherwise the Legion will annul your marriage.
>>
>>28898925
The thing with PRK is not everyone can get it, someone aren't qualified. I got denied for it because of too many red flags(sclera is too thin to risk shaving more away during the surgery)

Don't automatically assume you'll be able to get it
>>
>>28898960
Shiiiit. Yeah you're right
>>
>>28898949
So basically, it's like the US army in that once the work day is over you're off and free to do whatever, go off post, bar, girlfriend, whatever?

I'm just wondering how much of the time in the Legion is spent eating, sleeping and drinking the Legion and how much you get to be a civi and live your life

Also, one more question. Does the legion have it's own medics? I'm a medic in the US military and if I ever went to the FFL, I would want to stay a medic
>>
>>28899045
I'm just saying have a backup in case PRK doesn't work out.
I never would have known I had thin sclera's if I hadn't tried, but that's just the way it happened
>>
>>28899068
I mean, I'm fine being trying to be an 8404 Corpsman. Much higher possibility and my eyes won't restrict me. But entering the SARC pipeline would be ideal. Either way, I go to FMTB.
>>
>>28899166
Oh shit, nigger. I'm a medic too, in the Army, you'll be alright
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 452x510) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 452x510
How much "free time" is their during basic training, ie rest/wright/read/do random maintenance on gear/ect...
>>
>>28899280
None, basically. Maybe an hour.

We would wake up super early, do PT, then whatever was on the schedule that day as far as training goes, and then usually at 2000-2100 we would be released to shower, hygiene, and write letters. Lights out was 2200 if I remember.

That's basically the only free time you ever get, except Sundays, but sundays you're expected to be cleaning and stuff that entire time unless you go to church.
>>
>>28899335
Alright that's actually more time than I expected
>>
>>28899049
>once the work day is over you're off and free to do whatever
Yes, there's just considerably more work and the political bullshit is less corporate and more gang-land.

>how much of the time in the Legion is spent eating, sleeping and drinking the Legion and how much you get to be a civi and live your life
A lot of that depends on the individual. Some guys want to go into town as frequently as possible and some, believe it or not, see Legion life as an almost monastic experience and never go off-base.

>Does the legion have it's own medics? I'm a medic in the US military and if I ever went to the FFL, I would want to stay a medic
Yes, the Legion has medics. Many Legionnaires are trained as medics. The first level is 16 weeks and then the next level goes for training at a French Naval hospital in Toulon, which takes nearly two years and requires fluent French.
The Legion will not care if you were a medic in the US Army or if you were a Harvard-educated brain surgeon. Some guy who plays with his own poo poo will be sent to medic training while you will be assigned to laundry detail, mostly because some bitter CCH will think it's funny.
>>
>>28897553
Is the Intelligence field or Maritime Law Enforcement the better rate to get into?
>>
>>28899280
Generally 1 hour a day, but it can be taken away either formally or informally. Informallu is if they make you tear all the markings off your shit and throw them in the center "highway" between your racks. Then you must spend that hour remarking everything, and half the time you won't even be able to finish. This also hurts your platoon's morale if the supplies for marking shit is very limited.

You get the most from this time in the beginning when you're still trying to contact your family via mail. They want to make sure everyone has they chance to at least read/send a few letters. Towards the end is when mail goes to the back-burner and uniforms, drill, knowledge, and PT take on a larger priority. This is when you're getting ready for the final test, final drill, final PFT/CFT, and graduation.
>>
>>28899414
So, how does the Legion go about picking your job?
Do you have any say or do they go off of marksmenship or physical fitness scores?
>>
>>28899523
What military are you in?
>>
>>28899564
Marine Corps
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 270x293) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 270x293
>>28899571
>marine corps

Theirs your problem
>>
>>28899571
Oh, never mind.

Probably the only organization that does unironic training on drill.
We once had to march around practicing drill ironically as a punishment because there is no better way to lower morale than to force grown adult men to march around singing songs and then act serious when you tell them they're not doing it well enough
>>
>>28899541
>>28899414
Oh, also what are the barracks like? Do you have the open bays, rooms with roommates, or rooms to your self?
>>
>>28899541
>So, how does the Legion go about picking your job?
>Do you have any say or do they go off of marksmenship or physical fitness scores?

It is 100% needs of the Legion. As you get older, make some friends and learn to play the game, you can get cushier positions, but by and large, you are treated as a blank slate, fundamentally no different from any other new recruit: it is assumed you know absolutely nothing and posses no skills whatsoever but you have the baseline physical and mental skills to be a Legionnaire.

Volunteering for jobs is irrelevant. I have seen people volunteer for jobs and have the man next to that person be assigned that job simply for laughs.

But then, part of the appeal of Legion life is having no control over your own life. If you're the kind of man who makes bad decisions (and you surely are, since you decided to join the Legion) you can sleep well at night knowing that you may not make a single bad decision for the next five years, since you will make no decisions at all. (a gross oversimplification, but more accurate than not.)
>>
Canada here. Few questions, i turned 30 recently, am i too old to try and join?
What should I try and get into (if i'm not too old) army? navy? chair? I don't really care what i do, I just want to get paid really. I'd also sort of like an excuse to be gone away for a while, since my whole family is insane and depends on me for everything. I sort of like the idea of being out to sea for a long time, and being out of contact with everyone back home.
Main reason for joining though is i have spent 5 years trying to figure out what I want to do, and tried different jobs, nothing here pays well or has benefits of any kind.
>>
>>28897089
I was able to find some recruitment info on the forces' website. Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>28898555
Keep in mind too that you're being looked at next to people who have no military experience.

Those are your peers, kids who went straight into college and people who went to work after college instead of enlisting. So really what you do in the military is pretty useless even when getting hired as a federal civilian.

FYI: CIA doesn't give Veteran preference for hiring.
>>
>>28888877
>Really though, anything in the technology or intelligence communities will get you a nice government/contractor gig post service

With civilian education (at least two year degree, new DoD hiring requirement started about four years ago).

At least as far as intel goes.
>>
>>28894521
>But would my employer be required to hold my job for the Basic Training?

What you're looking for is USERRA.

http://www.esgr.mil/USERRA/What-is-USERRA.aspx
>>
>>28901135
>So really what you do in the military is pretty useless even when getting hired as a federal civilian.

Depends on what you do. I filled a billet at a government agency during my time in the military. When I got out, I took off my uniform and continued to do the same job.
>>
>>28901175
Thanks a ton, man. I'm surprised this didn't come up when I googled it. My Google-fu must be rusty.
>>
Joining the Foreign Legion in a couple days, wish me luck brothers.
>>
File: 1404525227790.jpg (50 KB, 408x439) Image search: [Google]
1404525227790.jpg
50 KB, 408x439
>>28901795
>>
>>28901795
Give us some info.

Country? Age? Fitness level? What events in your life transpired to make you want to do it? How does your family feel about it?
>>
>>28901832
20, I dunno just felt like joining haha, mum hates me
>>
>>28901869
Good riddance then
>>
>>28901942
*unsheathes FAMAS*, pardon me?
>>
>>28901987
What country though? Why wouldn't you join your own military?
Are you even in France?
>>
>>28902011
My flight is in two days, I've had my medicals all done to make sure im able to join, Fit as a fiddle (for chicks), legion sounds more interesting than our own military
>>
>>28902032
Goddamn, nigger. Stop playing games and just tell us where you're from, fuck
>>
>>28902049
Australia.
>>
>>28902050
Meh, you're probably right. You probably wouldn't ever did shit your army anyway
>>
neet /pol/ crossboarder here

how Do I call a recruiter wanting to schedule a meeting without coming off as autistic?
>>
>>28902525
if you can't talk to someone without sounding autistic don't join the military
>>
>>28902536
if you cant suck dick properly don't join a gay club
>>
>>28902553
so you're not gonna join? Good decision.
>>
>>28902572
no u need to stop sucking dick fag
>>
>>28902591
alright I'm callin' bait.
>>
>>28902602
ur mom is bait
>>
File: chris-pratt-rex.jpg (30 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
chris-pratt-rex.jpg
30 KB, 620x465
>>28891448
Hurr durr.

Marines are fucking stupid worthless garbage. I'm glad your friends died. Once you die there will be less garbage around.

Compared to the other branches, a marine infantryman is a trash human. Worthless pathetic cunt. I'm a hunter and know for a fact I can shoot better than a military fag.
>>
>>28902670
hey man, that's kinda mean. Would you say that to him in real life? No you wouldn't because that is rude.
>>
>>28901231
What was your MOS?

Did you already have civilian education or finish while you were enlisted?
>>
>>28902670
Kek.

Not too subtle, so 7/10.
>>
File: 1431216164623.gif (1 MB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
1431216164623.gif
1 MB, 249x250
>Was fatty back in May who wanted to go Navy
>Proceed to work my ass off since then to now
>Was 0.3 Inches off for my goal on monday when I took a tape test
>Have been working my ass off since then for this monday, If I can hit my goal I can go to MEPS
I'm almost there /k/. I want to be a Hospital Corpsman, any tips?
>>
>>28890716
Anon, give me your height and weight, if you're male or female.
>>
>>28890716
How much protein do you get in your diet? Are you on a cut right now?
>>
Trying to get into the army 11b. I've had multiple moles removed, 7 total. the most recent was around a year ago. how bad will this fuck me in MEPS? I've never been diagnosed with any skin cancer, just had them removed because they were of concern.
>>
>>28903649
idk but grats
>>
File: 1431814429954.gif (649 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1431814429954.gif
649 KB, 300x300
>>28903778
Thank you very much anon
>>
>>28891346
Hell, man even the guys who /like/ MPs don't even like MPs.
>>
>>28891346
My uncle was an internal affairs investigator for the feds, and nobody liked him except the other internal affairs officers. I assume it would be the same for military police.
>>
File: damn.jpg (484 KB, 1408x1296) Image search: [Google]
damn.jpg
484 KB, 1408x1296
Infantry fag in the National Guard here. Went to Benning a year ago.

I think everyone's experience will be a bit different. For instance, I deployed straight out of Benning... no nothing high speed.

Anyways, generally I'd say that a lot of somewhat intelligent people do congregate on certain boards like this one.

Make sure you think your decision through before joining. If you really want to be all hooah I implore you to do something in SOCOM. If that isn't an option atm due to waivers etc., or you'd rather test the water first go regular line infantry/whatever MOS and eventually try out.

There's a wide mix of people that you will meet in the Army. The majority I have found to be absolute trash who wouldn't be able to hack in the real world. Not all... alot though. I'm just being honest... the majority of guys in my company are white trash and dumb as fuck. Not in the "oh they're fun to get drunk with blah blah"... more so in the holy fuck I want to bash my head in a wall type. There are exceptions though.. and those guys will be your bros.

In the NG you will literally shoot once a year to qual... the rest you shoot blanks. The average range goer back home would be more squared away than the guys in my company if he learned basic battle drills off of youtube and lifted weights/ran on occasion.

The Army is great at sucking the fun out of everything.

With that said, there's great benefits and it gives you a story to tell which sounds way cooler than it actually is.
Just think long and hard.

Can only speak from my Nasty Girl experience.
>>
will the french foreign legion accept someone with a past depression?
>>
>>28904625
No, but they will never know.

They don't go through your medical records with a fine-toothed comb. They don't have most of those records.

Here's how they select you:

1. If you're fit enough. Be in the top 10 percent of your group of recruits in running, pullups and situps. Especially running.

2. If you're smart enough. Be in the top 10 percent of your group on the IQ test they give you.

3. Pass the "interview". The interview is where you are asked questions. Your answers will be matched against past Legionnaires who were good soldiers and those who were fuckups. Make sure your answers match the good guys' answers. If your answers give any hint of any mental instability or disorder, you are definitely out.

4. Speak French. That's the tiebreaker. If there are two recruits that are roughly equal, the one with better French skills always gets the nod.

If you fail the physical portion, you will be given a note that says "Inapte temporaire" and they tell you to get fit and try back again next year.
If you fail at the mental/interview portions, you are given a note that says "inapte definitif" and they tell you never to return.
In both cases they give you a couple of Euros for your time and directions to the train station.
>>
Ask a 25N currently in AIT anything.
>>
>>28905915
Did you choose poguery, were you tricked into it by your recruiter or were you forced into it somehow?

Here's a glimpse into your future:

"Here, son, fix my wife's iPad."
"S-Sure thing, major."
>>
>>28905915

You should reclass into the 17 series ASAP lad
>>
>>28905959

I had an O5 invite me over to fix his kid's Kindle once. His wife made a bunch of awesome European food and I pretty much got the day off tinkering with the gadgets at his place.

No regrets, being a POG is awesome desu.
>>
Is the U.S. army the only branch that accepts musicians for performing/educational purposes?
>>
>>28906079

No, every branch has bands. They are hard as fuck to get into though.
>>
>>28906098
Yeah it does look very hard. I think with the army they have an education program specifically for musicians who pass their requirements, but if I were to be in the military I'd probably join the Air Force.

I feel bad about it but I don't have a lot of money for school and I'm 23 without a college degree or decent paying career job (I work in management at a store). The area I live in is also very sparse for work and there's a lot of crime. One of my co-workers is leaving soon for the Air Force and she's been telling me about her family's experience in the military, and she also gave me the phone number of her recruiter.
>>
>>28906073
>being a POG is awesome desu.

Yeah, until you get in the real world and you're ever in an environment with both combat veterans and civilians.

For example:
I was a machine gunner in the Marines and after I got out, I became a high school math teacher. For Veteran's Day one year, our school principal wanted the veterans on the faculty to talk about their experiences in the service, what the did, why the did it, etc, to give the students different perspectives on war beyond what pop culture gives them.

The four veterans on our faculty spoke in turn.
The oldest, a physics teacher, was a Navy Captain during the Vietnam era.
The rest were all Iraq and Afghanistan vets, one of our English teachers piloted Black Hawk helicopters in the Army. Then I spoke about my time in the Marines and finally, one of our history teachers, another former soldier spoke about his time in the Army as...

...a Financial Management Technician.

Within hours the kids started making fun of him behind his back because his classroom has all the Army crap all over it, vintage recruiting posters, etc. His car is the one splattered with "I served" stickers.
>>
>>28887063
Probably the only place I ever lived where it was hotter at midnight then noon. I'm not talking how it feels either, it literally got to 101 at midnight in the middle of summer
>>
>>28906274

Sounds like the issue was more the fact that he flaunted his service like a dumbass and less the fact that he had a nice cushy gig in the military.

Better quality of life, better civilian prospects, usually less bullshit and more time off. There's not really any downsides. I even got paid more/promoted faster than my buddies who went combat arms.
>>
>>28906261

If your only interest in joining the military is to be in the band, you might be out of luck. The military can be a good opportunity to get education benefits and a solid salary, but band slots are difficult to get.
>>
>>28906314
Is there more difficulty to get into those non-combat positions? I'd like to have something that would be helpful with getting another job out of service.
>>
>>28906334
>Is there more difficulty to get into those non-combat positions?

No, it's a piece of cake. It's the combat positions that go quickly.

You do have to deal with a different class of lowlife in them.
In the combat arms, particularly Marine infantry, you have a peculiar mix of guys too stupid for anything else, and the sons of privilege who want to serve their country by fighting, not pushing paper. (In my own infantry platoon, we had at least ten guys that I knew of who already had a bachelor's degree.) They didn't need to worry about post-service skills.

The POG MOSs, though, are filled-up with a majority of poor as fuck minorities who are treating the military as their own personal job training center. They love the networking jobs in particular, since they think it will get them a job working at an Apple Store when they get out.
>>
I have a question on how things look like for joining either the Air force or Navy after I graduate, this fall, and only if I fail to find a job in my field after a year. I was wondering if anyone knows how things would be like going in as an officer with a MechE degree? Also I kinda have sleep apnea which has getting better due to losing some serious weight but now I just snore loud, not choke in my sleep, would that also affect me when trying to join if I do?
>>
>>28906327
At this point I feel too old for anything music-related. I still participate in community concert bands and orchestras but I lack the experience/technical knowledge a University student or someone fresh out of high school would have.

I've been throwing around career ideas if I had the money to go back to school. The area I live in has a few community colleges with programs for veterinary tehnicians, nursing and manufacturing but if I could go to a Uni with paid benefits I'd be interested in culinary or getting a teaching degree. I might even like staying in management if I wasn't in an area filled with jobless heroin addicts.
>>
>>28906435
I'm not saying you should lie on an official document but if you to lie in MEPS, don't go for TS/PRP and don't fail your PT test, privacy act protects that shit from what I know. Just get a nonner AFSC and you're good to go.
>>
>>28906473
Well honestly I think the sleep apnea is going away as I loose more weight also I can function from day to day as I fucking hate the device, yeah I don't choke in my sleep but I wake up feeling less relax and more stressed and tired. I think I might do another sleep study at one point to see where I am on that.
>>
what's the deal with morale patches? can i wear them and hope nobody says anything? rip it off if a major or colonel is walking towards me? can i put one on my backpack? or are we supposed to just collect/hold on to them? trades? i dont understand why people pay to have these made if we're not even allowed to have them
>>
>>28895948
You caught me.

I don't know what it's like for Americans, but British MPs are often embedded with infantry, and nobody cares, because we've fought alongside eachother.

I'm being quite honest when I say it's a meme perpetuated by criminals. Granted, there are annoying members in every unit, but our role by nature makes sure there's a lesser concentration of them.
>>
>>28906493
You'll get a slap on the wrist if you actually wear them on your uniform. On your personal pack and stuff is usually fine.

It's sort of like asking "why do we have challenge coins if we can't spend them on anything?"
>>
>>28906274
..a logistics specialist?
>>
File: 1442121876702.png (490 KB, 735x990) Image search: [Google]
1442121876702.png
490 KB, 735x990
Can anyone tell me anything about security jobs in the USAF? Is the fitness standard significantly higher? Do they do cool shit?
>>
>>28906985
specifically missile protection.

Is that one of the jobs where they go through your internet history?
>>
>>28907017
>Is that one of the jobs where they go through your internet history?
Oh god, is that really a thing the military does?
>>
>>28906491
howd you get a sleep study? i feel like i sleep a good 7-8 hours usualyl but im always tired
>>
>>28907047

No, kids are stupid.

Unless you are dumb and posted it on Facebook with your name attached to it, then its a matter of public record.

They won't know/care about you going to German Goo Girls, or what was posted anonymous.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.