[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hard chroming surplus rifle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4
File: image:44593.jpg (49 KB, 600x668) Image search: [Google]
image:44593.jpg
49 KB, 600x668
I have an old surplus mosin nagant rifle that was made in the United States which was sent over to Russia somewhere before or during world war one and somewhere down the line it got in the hands of a Finland soldier and has a Finland stamp mark on it and as well been used during world war two and the winter war and somehow made it back over here which I got it for just $100 dollars.

I have a large stack of spam cans with surplus ammo and I'm planning on getting the rifle hard chrimed so that way I wouldn't have to worry about corrosion from surplus ammo.

How much would it cost to get the barrel completely hard chromed and as well the inside chamber, inner box mag and the bolt?

Sounds like a good idea to me really.
>>
>>28865413
>How much would it cost to get the barrel completely hard chromed and as well the inside chamber, inner box mag and the bolt?

Seriously, contact a local gunsmith.
>>
>>28865413
You looking to sell any of those spam cans?
>>
>>28865413
>Wanting to ruin an actual historical war relic just so it's to clean

Don't you fucking dare!
>>
>>28865451
bump for spam
>>
>>28865444
I plam on having a gunsmith to do it so that's covered

>>28865451
No because I got them when they where on sale and I already have four crates of them

>>28865459
Why would you say that?
>>
>>28865413
Your going to turn a potential $4000 gun in the future to just a forever $100 value gun?

Are you fucking insane!?
>>
>>28865613
I am convinced OP is the same person trolling us with Bubba threads for the past few days.
>>
>>28865648
No actually I'm not

I'm genuinely asking how much would it cost to get the specific parts of the rifle hard chromed and how difficult would it exactly be?
>>
>>28865413
If that nugget had a visa it'd be amazing.
>>
>>28865692
Why the hell would you get it chromed? Just don't use corrosive ammo. Problem solved.
>>
>>28865549
>potential $4000 gun
>any mosin
not even a mosin with a barrel pissed down by simo hayha is worth that.
>>
>>28865715
Because commercial loads are starting to get expensive in timr and I don't feel like paying $20 dollars just to get a box of 20 rounds for it and spam cans holds alot more for a cheaper price but I don't have the time to properly clean out all the corrosion or any of that stuff so I'm just gonna go get it chromed so I don't have to worry about corrosion from surplus ammo
>>
>>28865732
You don't know mosins then.
>>
>>28865753
>I don't have the time to properly clean out all the corrosion or any of that stuff
Is simple. Quit job. Move innawoods.

But seriously I find it unlikely that is really that hard to clean a nugget of corrosive residue.
>>
>>28865815
It's not. It takes 5-10 minutes more if you are being extra through. OP is just a trolling Bubba or is pants on head retarded.
>>
>>28865815
I'm not saying I'm lazy or anything when it comes cleaning a gun but when it is to the point you have to deep clean the rifle and make sure not to miss a single spot anywhere that have been exposed to the corrosive ammo every single time you get done with the range.

That is why I am just going to get it chromed so that way I can just go to the range and fire off a few spam cans and go home and put it up and go to bed eithout having to deep clean everything
>>
>>28865839
>boil water
>pour water into action
>dry with compressed air
>oil lightly

You're fucking lazy.
>>
>>28865839
>go to range
>fire a few spam cans
Ya blew it OP.
>>
>>28865866
Or how about this

>get rifle chromed
>go to range
>enjoy shooting
>go home
>run a patch of hoppe's 9 in the barrel
>put rifle away
>go to bed

Way quicker and less time consuming and less risk on missing a spot and end up having corrosion
>>
>>28865839
>fire off a few spam cans
440 x 3 = 1320 rounds of nugget food
OP, why?
>>
>>28865887
What?

You never bring a spam can with you and just open it up and use up all the rounds out of it and go home with an empty spam can?

And here I thought some of you guys actually open a spam can.
>>
>>28865896
You are a turbo nigger. You are the cancer. Please go.
>>
>>28865905
Because I enjoy shooting and I like the recoil.

It feels nice on my shoulder and also I like to just enjoy a good time in the range away from all the drama and time that I have to deal with.
>>
>>28865839
>I'm not saying I'm lazy or anything when it comes cleaning a gun
Yes, you are.

>but when it is to the point you have to deep clean the rifle
Are you saying you don't disassemble and clean after every range trip? If so, you're a dunce.

>and make sure not to miss a single spot anywhere that have been exposed to the corrosive ammo every single time you get done with the range.
That's a load of bull shit and not even the good kind of fertilizer.
>>
Does windex really work that well to clean out corrosive shit?
Ive tried and I guess it works alright. What would be better?
>>
>>28865968
It's no better than water. It's just more convenient for fudds to take to the range.
>>
>>28865978
I think OP is a troll or turbo fudd. Like super sayain elmer.
>>
>>28865920
>implying recoil from a mosin nagant don't hurt

Nigga that shit hurts after half a spam can use bitch ass nigga
>>
>>28865978
So the ammonia in it doesnt help?
I would think it would help some, better than water at least.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 640x356) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 640x356
>>28865920
>Because I enjoy shooting and I like the recoil.
>I enjoy the recoil
>enjoys the recoil from a Mosin
>>
>>28865986
The recoil won't hurt if you hold the buttstock of the rifle firmly pressed against your shoulder tight

You gotta make sure there isn't space between the rifle and your shoulder that way when you fire it feels quite calm and nice

If you fire it and it isn't against your shoulder then it is going to hurt alot
>>
>>28866002

Isn't AR general the other way, you massive faggot?
>>
>>28865813
Name a mosin that has sold above 1500 bucks
>>
>>28866005
Even with long repetitive shooting? I find that unlikely.
>>
>>28866035
Well your shoulder doesn't get hurt as bad as alot of people make the story out to be

It only hurts really bad when you don't have it tight against your shoulder because when the recoil comes it's wise to have it against your shoulder so that way the recoil can be absorbed better by your shoulder

Like I said before it only hurts bad when you have space between the shoulder and the rifle just enough to slip your hand between it
>>
>>28866035
If you were more of a man, you'd shoot full-caliber rifles and your body gains an immunity to the recoil.
>>
>>28866012
St. Petersburg calvary carbine. Or a m27rv. Both 3k+.
>>
File: image.jpg (162 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162 KB, 960x540
>>28866063
Makes sense, but you're still lazy.

>>28866066
see image
>>
>>28866069
I'm pretty sure left handed 28-76s would be in that price range now. Considering that empire arms sold one at around 1200-1300 about 3 years ago

Not to mention there are a lot of mosin most people don't ever see becuase they're only sold at auctions

Here's one american nugget
http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/54/lid/400
>>
>>28866159
I meant to qoute >>28866012
>>
>>28865413
I'll give you 500 dollars and a toothy blowjob for that Mosin

At least post a picture of it please
>>
>>28866002
Bet you've never shot 147gr surplus. It has a nice feel to it
>>
File: 1442386287614.png (11 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1442386287614.png
11 KB, 500x294
>>28865753
Ok, so first of all pic related.

But 2nd, your question doesn't even make sense in this context. Asking someone to hard chrome a couple of things for you is going to cost a lot of money. It's not exactly a cheap process, so you wouldn't save a dime. It'd probably cost $800, and that's for a shit job.

But again, pic related.
>>
>>28866159

Few more that probably would go beyond 1,500 USD, some of the easily:
- Russian carbine m/07.
- Finnish-made WW2-era sniper rifles (at least with scope mounts and scopes, possibly also without if in excellent shape).
- Finnish Ulaani-carbine.
- Finnish m/91rv cavalry rifle.
- Finnish m/28-30 belonging to batch chosen for World Shooting Championships of year 1937.
>>
>>28865459
>actual war relic
>implying there aren't still thousands of crates of them still in cosmoline
>>
>>28869308
There are
In Russia
Where we can't get them
>>
>>28869308
No US made ones used by the Finns.
If it was a regular round receiver Izhevsk the yeah I'd say go for it. Buy a US mosin with Finnish markings is pretty collectible.
>>
>>28869389
Actually there are cases of american made mosin nagants that was sent to russia was a matter of fact been used by Finland soldiers during the einter war

There are Remington brand mosin nagants before world war one builds that has the finland stamp marks on them.
>>
>>28865413

>wants to chrome a Finnish nugget

fuck off bubba

I mean its your property so do what you want but you're retarded.
>>
>>28869826
Whats wrong with getting the inside barrel chromed?
>>
>>28870595
You're lazy.
>>
>>28870595
It's not funny anymore.
>>
>>28870595

The only reason you want to do it is so its easier to clean, and thus your laziness is enough for you to waste money defacing a historical weapon.

Again it's your property, but I find your desires to be deplorable.
>>
>>28870612
>>28870617
>>28870633
Why would making the barrel rust resistance devalued?

It would actually be beneficial for the rifle because it won't get damaged by corrosion anymore.
>>
>>28870764

last post because this is reeking of bait but fuck it ill bite

any alteration (not done by the original armory) to a historical firearm decreases value, how is this hard to understand?

A well done (and I mean REALLY well done) reblue or stock refinish is ok I guess but that still will take value away from the gun. Doing some completely bubba shit like chroming it makes it practically worthless. Why don't you go full nutnfancy and duracoat it too?
>>
>>28870812
I juet want to chrome the inside of the barrel rifling so there ain't corrosion.

I ain't gonna destroy the stock or chop up the rifle no way I would do that to a rifle like that all I just want to do is just have the rifling chromed and I'm going to have a real professional to do this anyway.
>>
>>28870812
No. Even well done restoration reduces collectors value by a lot. So don't sand your stock and don't reblue it. A collector is interested in original historical objects. Not tarted up modern reworks.

Also, chroming is not leveling, and therefore amplifies defects. Which I'm sure a surplus bore is full of. So if you do so it will probably never shoot right again.
>>
>>28870872
You're a fucking moron.
Sell the damn thing on gunbroker for $1500 then go buy a bubba'd '43 Tula for a hundred bucks and fuckoff.
>>
>>28871231
How would chrome be a bad thing for rifling?

Isn't it's purpose is to seal up the pittings and add a protective coating on the rifling?
>>
>>28865413

You can't. Not in the USA anyways. Hard Chroming is no longer done here because of environmental issues. Soft chrome can be done, but hard chrome can not.
>>
>>28871638
Not op but what is the difference between soft chrome and hard chrome?
>>
>>28871231

Did you read my post? I said any resto reduces value.
>>
>>28871606
It doesn't work that way, chromed barrel rifling is cut a different way than non chrome and can't just be plated and done with. You will need to literally purchase a commercial lathe and spend hours re cutting for the profile to match right.

You would literally be better off just selling the gun you supposedly have buying a crate of Type 53s that actually have chromed bores from the start and not be absolutely retarded.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>28865753
This would be a good point if surplus wasn't getting more expensive compared to commercial ammo from Russia. And you're retarded if you think a chrome lining is immune to corrosive salts. You still have to clean that shit out unless you feel comfortable with moisture accumulating in it.
>>
>>28871231
Its great... when applied when the bore and rifling was freshly cut and as close to perfection as it will ever be (and even then there is a slight distortion that can result from the chrome not being perfectly even degrading accuracy a slight bit). It wont fill in pits. Or more accurately. It adds the same amount of material everywhere so the pits are actually accentuated.
>>
>>28873563
Shit. Meant to reply to >>28871606
>>
Fuck you op
>>
Destroying a war relic is the at most diabolical thing to ever do
>>
>>28865996
>So the ammonia in it doesnt help?
The amount of ammonia in Windex is not much, or none at all as only some kinds have ammonia. And more importantly, the amount of ammonia needed to "naturalize" the salts would do more damage to the barrel than leaving the hygroscopic salts in there!
>>
>>28865413
Trade it to me OP, I've got a 42 Izhevsk you can do what ever the hell you want with
>>
>>28866096
I'm not even kidding, you stupid anime posting fuckboy.

Pain is to be slightly expected on new shooter's soft, tender tissue- but with use your muscle in the shoulder 'toughens up' to the pounding of recoil.
>>
>>28874120
MODS
>>
>>28865413
It's not possible. Chrome requires you to have the barrel be oversized significantly before deposition. It can only be done when the barrel is made.

Your only realistic option is to take a thermos of hot soapy water with you to the range and pour it down the barrel and on the bolt before leaving and cleaning when you get home.
>>
>>28879698
Don't listen to him op you can get the barrel chromed and the woodstock destained and restained with a fresher look
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.