[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mental Health and Guns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10
File: 1376669494581.jpg (45 KB, 601x695) Image search: [Google]
1376669494581.jpg
45 KB, 601x695
Not sure if this belongs in /pol/ but oh well.

As a gun owner in a very anti-gun state (NY) I am terrified to seek mental health treatment because I fear it will one day give the state an excuse to disarm me. I have near crippling depression and some sort of anxiety problems, not sure what to call it, but I cannot bring myself to seek help.

I am not a danger to myself or others, but the latest gun-grabbing technique seems to be anonymous reporting of people seeking treatment to the authorities, with the idea being they are put on a list and then denied next time they try to buy a gun. I am not sure if NY has done this yet, but I'm sure they'll try it soon.

What should I do? Continue to not seek help, and hope it works itself out? Should I seek help, risking not only my favorite hobby, but my rights as well in the process? Am I just being paranoid?

I hope leftists are happy, they are only making the problem worse for myself and many others like me.
>>
CAUGHT YOU CIVILIAN

TURN IN YOUR FUTURE GUNS YOU MENTAL DEFECT

t. NYPD
>>
>>28848503
Try B complex and slow-release niacin. Cut down on sugar and alcohol and pot and whatever else you're self-medicating on. And yes, stay away from the fucking shrinks. Like everything else in postmodern America, the deconstructionist Left has weaponized them. Sorry.
>>
Find a religious Jewish therapist and pay cash. You gotta find one who is able to keep his religion away from the therapy plan but they love doing shit under the table and keeping the gubment out.
>>
>>28848536
D-does excessive coffee count as self medication?

>>28848538
Is that really a thing? I live upstate, not sure where to look for Jewish therapists.

>>28848531
NYPD pls go
>>
>>28848503
as a new york state citizen you don't have the right to defend yourself if you seek treatment for mental health issues
>>
>>2884858

It's a thing but idk if it will work if you're not Jewish.

I lived in Brooklyn and grew was raised religious. needed help with drug problem and got it under control thanks to a hassidic drug counselor
>>
File: 1416213707001.png (27 KB, 402x348) Image search: [Google]
1416213707001.png
27 KB, 402x348
>>28848503

Fellow depression bro reporting.

First off, exercise daily and get on top of getting yourself a regular, healthy sleeping pattern.

Secondly, check to see if there's an anonymous mental health service in your area and use it if you're comfortable.

You could also try an online service.

Seriously do try to get therapy for it though, whether that be CBT or whatever. It has made an immeasurable difference for me, more so than I ever imagined.
>>
File: 1453753734733.jpg (25 KB, 365x326) Image search: [Google]
1453753734733.jpg
25 KB, 365x326
>>28848972
>anonymous mental health service
This is a thing?

And the exercise would probably help, but getting the motivation to do it is difficult when I spend all day hiding my depression from the roomies and coworkers. I know its a poor excuse, but that's where I'm at.
>>
>>28848503
As far as my understanding of the current laws go, your treatment is only automatically put on a list if you are deemed a danger to yourself or others and you pay for it with some form of government insurance, if you pay privately your therapist cannot report anything without your consent
>>
>>28849055

It is where I live at least.

Yeah I know the feel exactly, desu it took antidepressants to 'take the edge off' for things to get manageable enough for me to get the ball rolling.
>>
>>28849055
The good thing about NY in your case is that NY also has really strict privacy laws in terms of health information. I have discussed this same issue with my therapist, unfortunately I'm in NYC so its a moot point anyway
>>
>>28849055
Seconding the exercise recommendation. As a former depressed person from age 10 to 25; exercise (running, cycling, and lifting weights) has always helped more then the multiple types of antidepressants I've been put on. It's not going to magically cure you but it is a step in the right direction.

Here is the fucked thing that no one tells you though: exercise is something you have to do first, and then get motivated to do afterwards. It sounds completely backwards as fuck but you have to do it to get motivated to do it.

Hopefully it will help.
>>
>>28848503
>put on a list and then denied next time they try to buy a gun. I am not sure if NY has done this yet, but I'm sure they'll try it soon.
NY is already doing this.

They will also confiscate any guns you already have.
>>
>>28849250
I believe you. Used to be less depressed when I exercise all the time. Life/injuries/illness killed my motivation the past few years though. Bulging discs followed by Lyme disease followed by mono did me in.
>>
>>28848503
Dude who cares about your funs, make sure youre okay before you worry about libs taking your guns. Go get some help senpai, if you dont nothings going to get better if you dont try to help yourself
>>
>>28849291
I'm sorry life's dealt you a hard blow. I'm a Canadafag and I literally cannot have received treatment or medication for any form of mental illness or I lose my firearms licence. It's true that well-meaning but retarded laws can make it way harder to get treatment then it should be for people who need it the most.
>>
>>28849310
Not memeing, if I can't have guns, why even live?

>>28849342
I hear that, syrup brother, and were not far from that in NY.
>>
I have problems a bit more serious than depression, but I see a therapist who doesn't take insurance so there's far less of a risk of too many people looking at what she writes down (apparently it's common for therapists who specialize in certain areas since they don't like having to deal with insurance fuckery). But with NY, your best bet is moving to a free state, in most they can't take away your rights unless you actually are committed.
>>
>>28849364
You can still have funs after you go get help for your "near crippling anxiety" if its that bad why wouldnt you help yourself
>>
>>28849398
>You can still have funs after you go get help
not in NY.
>>
>>28849398
The depression is the crippling part, anxiety is just anxiety.

>>28849414
And this is what I fear, so pls don't be trolling.

>>28849390
Someday...
>tfw going to take a machining program in the fall so I can move to a free state to make guns
>>
>>28849398
If I can have guns with DID, I'm sure anxiety shouldn't be a major issue even in NY.
>>
>>28849435
Fellow New Yorker here.

I'm sorry but I'm not trolling. They will come for your guns if you seek help here.

I recommend you move before you seek help. Or try to find some anonymous help.

>>28849465
It's part of the SAFE act. Mental health professionals have to report you to the state.
>>
>>28849435
Strangely, depression and anxiety are usually related.
>>
>>28849481
Holy shit, that's fucked up. If you live near the border you could possibly look into going to another state for care. And find a therapist who would give a discount for paying out of pocket.
>>
>>28848503
Tell your doctor you have almost daily migraines you can no longer control with Excedrin migraine until they put you on Pamelor.

>pamelor is an anti-depressant that also works for migraines
>>
Thread theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbg27oT8Z9M
>>
>>28849512
That is sneaky but brilliant. Another is to use Effexor as a "sleeping aid". Though the withdrawal when coming off Effexor is a bitch so keep that in mind.
>>
>>28849512
Just be sure you know how to describe migraine symptoms before you go in.
>>
>>28849481
The SAFE act only requires mental health professionals to report you if they believe in their professional opinion you are likely to engage in conduct that would result in serious harm to yourself or others.

http://programs.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/mental-health-faq
>>
>>28849481
>It's part of the SAFE act. Mental health professionals have to report you to the state.

Is this... Federal?
>>
>>28848503
>mental health treatment

don't use official channels they are useless
find someone trustworthy and talk with them

get some san pedro and psilocybin in you as well
not as a habit but only to clear the mind and reassess what is important to you

a creative outlet helps as well
if you can lay down some of what you feel on paper or in concept it gets it out of your mind
and allows for later observation of your state of mind

all in all keep it on the low
many people will only have a shallow understanding of your position and will be condescending or judgemental
the only reason they hate you so much is that your thought process could drag them down so easily
>>
>>28849586
State. If it was Federal half of /k/ would likely be fucked.
>>
>>28849586
No, it is a New York only thing.

Federally, you're only automatically reported if you are involuntarily committed or if judged incompetent by a court of justice.
>>
File: 1450328539750.jpg (44 KB, 843x586) Image search: [Google]
1450328539750.jpg
44 KB, 843x586
>>28849603

>State.

phew thats a relief.

Thank fuck I was born in Texas and not some yankcuck shithole like NY or conneticunt
>>
>>28849547
I got put on Pamelor because of migraines, but also had issues with hating life, my job, etc.

Now I don't have migraines and a pleasant side effect is I'm not mad at everything anymore. I get grumpy when things don't go my way, but I no longer blow it completely out of proportion.
>>
>>28848503
>99% of the mentally are only a danger to themselves, but let's make them all pariahs so we can go after guns.

>discouraging treatment by stigmatizing those who seek it can only help the way America treats the mentally ill.

>all to get rid of guns which aren't a realistic threat to your average American citizen

>we liberals are making America better!
>>
>>28849632
Texas actually is stricter than some other states. My non-resident Utah cc (live in MD, so lolnorights) would be good in Texas, but I'd be unable to actually get a Texas permit if I lived there.
>>
In WA so long as its self admittance it cant affect you

>Source: self admitted, has had no effect on my right to purchase own or carry
>>
>>28848503

Mental health > the extremely off chance they'll grab your guns

Go get help. Seriously.
>>
>>28849657

We are slowly getting better. Abbott has been the best governor we've ever had. It's the urban slime that has caused our gun rights to be inferior to that of Arizona or Alaska for instance but our gun culture is definitely the most prolific and renown.
>>
Mostly good advice ITT, but since no one else appears to have mentioned therapy workbooks, I will. David Burns' stuff is pretty good--not that it's gonna turn you into a world-beating sexual tyrannosaurus or anything, but a lot of very useful strategies for dealing with those "fuck I don't want to be alive" moments--and a lot of actual therapy consists of a therapist regurgitating the contents of those books anyway tbqh. Pay cash if you're feeling paranoid, or torrent. Fish oil probably helps, too, and it's cheap to try.
>>
>>28849666
In New York it probably isn't an "extremely off chance"

>>28849683
Texas still bars you from concealed carry if you have one of the "severe" illnesses such as bipolar (can be managed with meds) or dissociative identity disorder (curable).
>>
>>28848503
>Leftists
>Wanting the state to disarm people
>>
>>28849512
This anon this
>>
>>28848584
How far upstate? Because there are a few Jewish communities along the Hudson valley.
>>
>>28849725
>Texas still bars you from concealed carry if you have one of the "severe" illnesses such as bipolar (can be managed with meds) or dissociative identity disorder (curable).

What the fuck? No way. I don't have any of those conditions but that is fucking retarded if true.
>>
>>28849619
Didn't they just try to change that with some recent EO? I thought they at least tried to get states to report even more details. All i heard was it was probably HIPAA violating and required far more reporting than before.
>>
>>28849774
Right outside of Albany
>>
>>28849810
It is, "The following constitutes evidence that a person has a psychiatric disorder or condition described by section (1), above:
(1) involuntary psychiatric hospitalization;
(2) psychiatric hospitalization;
(3) inpatient or residential substance abuse treatment in the preceding five-year period;
(4) diagnosis in the preceding five-year period by a licensed physician that the person is dependent on alcohol, a controlled substance, or a similar substance; or
(5) diagnosis at any time by a licensed physician that the person suffers or has suffered from a psychiatric disorder or condition consisting of or relating to:
(A) schizophrenia or delusional disorder;
(B) bipolar disorder;
(C) chronic dementia, whether caused by illness, brain defect, or brain injury;
(D) dissociative identity disorder;
(E) intermittent explosive disorder; or
(F) antisocial personality disorder."
>>
File: image.jpg (616 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
616 KB, 1920x1080
>>28848503
Get help OP.
Your mental health Is more important than having funz.
I neglected to get In counciling and on meds for a long time, In fear that I would terminate my ability to own the things I love most. But when things got severely worse, I realized that my life was far more important. Maybe In the future, depending on where you live, It Is possible to regain your rights to own firearms If you lose them.
>>
>>28850041
I'm not going to hurt myself senpai, I just get the blues and sit around moping, and occasional social anxiety.
>>
>>28850078
I never said you were, I'm just saying to better yourself and not worry about repercussions, worry about that stuff later. Even if your not a "danger" they could still block you from firearm access If they prescribe you certain drugs.
>>
>>28849342
Shit even in Australia you can still apply even if you have or are currently undertaking treatment.
Usually if you're undertaking treatment they ask for a recommendation from your doctor or therapist so unless you actually are a psycho or have a particularily anti-gun shrink you should be fine.
>>
>>28849547
fuck effexor I used it for about 2 months back in 2011 and it turned my depression into social anxiety + depression with the odd bout of serotonin syndrome and mild panic attacks. Took me about 2 years to get back to just being depressed and that was just by working full time and being exposed to being around people heaps.
>>
>>28848503

Stay away from shrinks, go lift weights. I dealt with severe anxiety that way. It was bad enough I could barely hold a job.
>>
>>28848972
>>28849250
Not OP, but I'm having some severe cabin fever right now, and I'm getting my seasonal depressing in full swing right now. I cannot run due to a fucked up left knee (thanks HS cross country), but I can bike for miles. However, it's too fucking cold out, and my school doesn't have a gym, because of construction. Doesn't help school and work have also been dropping the hammer.
>>
>>28849839
Aren't there a bunch of Jews in/around Niskayuna?

You could also stop by a Catholic church for some confessin'
>>
>>28850599
Buy some dumbbells, push-ups/sit-ups/pull-ups etc.
>>
>>28849650
Fucking this
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 404x404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 404x404
>>28849962
>(B) bipolar disorder
>(F) antisocial personality disorder
>>
>>28851508
are you confused as to why those would be on the list?
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 444x322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 444x322
>>28851543
I'm confused why "antisocial personality disorder" would bar you from CC, yeah.

That would be half of /k/
>>
>>28851694
half of /k/ probably shouldnt even be allowed to look at a gun
>>
>>28851785
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!
>>
>>28848503
I'd recommend exercise.
1 hour a day on the elliptical.
It helps.

Also, you really don't need guns, they're just a hobby, or if not a hobby, then they're just one tool and not the most important one.

Try exercise and regular sleep pattern.
>>
>>28849055
>getting the motivation to do it is difficult
The only way to overcome that is to force yourself to do it for the first week or two. Motivation often only comes after starting something like exercising, and especially so when you're stuck in a rut.
>>
File: 291320419.gif (1 MB, 176x220) Image search: [Google]
291320419.gif
1 MB, 176x220
OP here, thanks for all the good suggestions senpaitachi. Gonna go take my vitamins, hop on the elliptical, and see a priest today. If that's enough to get me going, I won't need to risk my rights to go get some pills.

Love you guys desu
>>
>>28848584
the fact that you used "excessive" means yes, it counts.
>>
File: image.jpg (251 KB, 800x665) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
251 KB, 800x665
>>28848503
>HURR man up!!!1!

What's the reason for your depression, op?
>>
>thread giving a mentally ill man the advice of not seeking help just so he can keep firearms
No wonder the US is so fucked up
>>
>>28849342
>I'm a Canadafag and I literally cannot have received treatment or medication for any form of mental illness or I lose my firearms licence

Not true
>>
>>28850599
wear more clothes then, only thing that has stopped me from biking so far has been laziness and wet ice.
>>
File: Suns out Guns out.png (235 KB, 600x594) Image search: [Google]
Suns out Guns out.png
235 KB, 600x594
>>28854552
Hope it work out, OP!
>>
Any guys with depression who have served and deployed overseas as well by any chance?
Did serving in the military effect your depression, make it worse/better, if worse, how did you deal with it? Did you do so effectively, was it really difficult to handle at times?
Just would like to know, another depressed brah looking at joining the NZDF, mine isn't too bad at the moment, can handle it, but not sure how that will change (if it will) in the military.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.