[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how important is camo when hunting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: camo-image-apb-6.jpg (106 KB, 544x532) Image search: [Google]
camo-image-apb-6.jpg
106 KB, 544x532
I would rather wear military camo because realtree patterns look really ugly to me, do animals really notice lack of camo? I just started getting into hunting last month when I got my ruger american .308 and I would appreciate some tips on gear.
>>
My old roommate hunted with a compound bow and he swore by that realtree stuff. I didn't take his word on too many things other than hunting.
>>
i go hunting in bluejeans and a bright orange t shirt.

deer are dumb as shit.
>>
>>28697680
Get a vest or military uniform with lots of pockets for calls and ammo, also RAINGEAR (just carry a camo poncho) I think military camo would work ok
>>
>>28697896
some varmints are pretty smart though
>>
>>28697896
this
>>
I don't hunt big game but I've been shot at while pheasant hunting before. I swear by orange after that.
>>
>not wearing your tweeds
>>
>>28697680
With the .308 i bet you could take shots from pretty far away assuming you have a scope
hunting is fun just wear a cheap orange vest to be safe
>>
>>28697896

Deer are also color blind to a wide range of colors, you retard.
>>
File: Deer-640x400[1].jpg (178 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Deer-640x400[1].jpg
178 KB, 640x400
>>28697680
It's far more important to cover your scent and remain quiet. Deer do not see well. Fuckers have excellent camouflage though.
>>
>>28697680
Warmth, scent, and sound control is more important than camouflage, unless you're hunting turkey. I've been hunting with people who wear overalls and carhartt jackets and they filled their freezers just fine. I'd recommend blaze orange though, there's too many idiots ready to shoot at anything they see in the woods.
>>
File: MustangMark1.jpg (69 KB, 446x446) Image search: [Google]
MustangMark1.jpg
69 KB, 446x446
>>28697896
No shit

pic related what I wear when dear hunting.
>>
>>28697680
Color really doesn't matter because deer are color blind. I wear a pair of cheap real tree camo jeans, an old woodland BDU (because pockets), one of those camo turkety hunting masks, and a camo patterned blaze orange hat. The camo will break up your outline when you're sitting still. This is most important if your hunting on the ground. If you're fifteen feet in the air or in a well camouflaged blind than it's obviously not as important.
>>
>>28697680
Wear bright colors when hunting. Cause some retarded hunter will shoot your ass. Deer are more likely to run away because of rustling in the bushes.
>>
>>28697680

Depends on what you're hunting. Deer? Doesn't really matter. Turkey? Blend to the environment. Remeber, it's not about looks. Camouflage is meant to break up the human shape.
>>
>>28697680
The camo pattern doesn't really matter. You can wear whatever camo you want, or no camo at all. The main point is to remain quiet and stay still, unless you're hunting for rabbits etc without a dog.

Also, keep in mind that e.g. grouses among other birds have an excellent vision and most likely will notice something is out of place if you don't have camo, or move around. I've had personal experience on this quite alot.
>>
>>28699566
>>28699468
so is there a way to hunt turkey and wear safety orange blaze?

would a orange camo work or do you need a tent or ghillie suit?
>>
File: 1453865219005.jpg (187 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1453865219005.jpg
187 KB, 640x400
>>28698016
>>
>>28699848
Hunt from a blind.
>>
>>28699876
Wow, what a moron. That...is a bush.
>>
>>28698206
Underrated post.
>>
>>28699957
samefag, plz go
>>
>>28699848
No. Turkeys can see color. Be a goddamned forest phantom while hunting these birds. They WILL see you if your not head to toe camo and motionless.
>>
>>28697680
You need camo that matches your environment. Realtree works in some areas, mossyoak in others. You don't want to wear coniferous patterns in deciduous forrests and vice versa. If you're rifle hunting in the dead of winter where everything is brown/gray/tan/white military style woodland camo might make you stand out.

Rifle hunting doesn't make that big of a difference in what color your use, in my state blaze orange is mandatory in any firearms season and you have to have atleast a blaze vest and hat, they have blaze orange with branch silhouettes to help break up your outline. Rifle hunting in full camo is dangerous unless you are on private land you are 100% certain no one else is walking(even then there could be poaches or some one mistakingly crossed a fence line).

Rifle hunting you are often hundreds of yards away, up in a treestand. So it's really more about staying warm and keeping quiet, i wear mostly carhartt stuff during rifle cause its warm as fuck and durable. Most important thing for deer hunting is keeping the wind in your favor.

Bow hunting is another story, yes most of the time you actually do need all that scentblocker gear and ghillie suits and douse yourself with doe piss before you're effective.. woodland military cammo is better than nothing, but to be really successful and bagging that monster buck you need whatever camo closely matches your enviro. Mossy oak doesn't work for shit where i hunt cause there are no damn oak trees so i swear by realtree, but 3d camo like a ghillie suit or ghil-leaf suit is even better
Also, it aint a fucking fashion contest out there. It doesn't matter what you think looks stupid. What matters is of the critter your after thinks its stupid. When rifle hunting distance and the wind are your friends
>>
>>28700058
This man speeks the truth. I have heard stories of wiley turkeys getting spooked by seeing your eyes looking at them or the black soles in your boots freaking them out (if your sitting up against a tree legs out and toes pointing up) boots for turkey hunting have camo on some of the treads and all the hardcore turkey hunters i know where camo glasses with camo pattern lenses

All the old timers joke if they could smell they would be un-huntable
>>
>>28699848
Plus you don't need blaze orange for turkey hunting because you're using shotguns, no worry of getting hit with a stray bullet from 6-700 yards away from some one you didn't know was there because your birdshot just doesn't travel that far. Turkey hunting is done at very close ranges, you'd probably know if some one else was around
>>
>>28697680
Camo dosent matter too much, just stay near the treeline and move slow, most animals like deer have tunnel vision.
>>
>how important is it to wear a helmet when you play sports?
be more specific, nigger
>>
>>28700280
>implying
that everyone else out there will also be out turkey hunting.

Somewhat unrelated, but I shoot on public BLM lands, and I try to wear something bright so that other shooters can see me from far away. Lots of hills and canyons, you won't always be able to see everyone around you.
>>
>>28700058
>>28700198
I keep hearing this, but I've always had the opposite experience hunting turkeys.
>Walking on gf's ranch in blue jeans and black t-shirt
>come over the top of a hill and see a group of turkeys chilling
>shoot one with shotgun before they can react, they take off toward a cedar thicket.
>sprint around to the other side of the thicket, shoot another as they exit
>thanksgiving and christmas dinner
I've also just sat under a tree in plain clothes and had them land within shotgun distance, they're dumb as fuck
>>
>>28697680

It's important to pick the right camo when hunting because the game will mock you and think poorly of you if you pick the wrong thing.

My hunting attire is usually limited to the bare essentials: a gold lamé banana hammock and a pair of high-top flip-flops. In cold weather, I will sometime add a blond Farrah Fawcett wig with a chinstrap.

I haven't been approached by a game warden for I don't know how long.
>>
>>28700487
>not wearing a golf helmet
Look at this faggot
>>
>>28697680
Honestly just wearing something that is light brown will do, I mean deers are from brown to light brown and they seem to camouflage pretty well. I just wear some woodland shirt and pants my cousin gave me form the army works pretty good even when I go duck hunting.
>>
>>28700609
> hunting
> not getting extremely lucky, happening upon a town meeting of turkeytards, and going *the first Terminator police station massacre* on them
>>
>>28697896
>deer

There are more animals you can hunt than deer. Unless you use a blind like a fag you can dress like a twinkle toes faggot that you are and the deer won't see shit.
>>
>>28697680
Depends on what you are hunting.
Some creatures see colors better than others.
>>
File: image.jpg (328 KB, 1002x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
328 KB, 1002x420
>>28700989
Really it's just birds and humans that see well enough for it to matter, among things you'd hunt in North America. Goats, bear, deer, rodents, elk, and big cats have very poor vision.
>>
>>28701874
>big cats
>very poor vision
wait what? I thought they had amazing vision and hearing to match
>>
I think that in general, all animals are dumb as fuck. That's why they don't have jobs, or drive cars, or vote. I literally only hunt because animals are worthless pieces of shit and that makes me want to shoot them for being so stupid all the time.

Fucking animals.
>>
>>28701895
Nope. They can see better in low light conditions but have poor ability to see colors. They have a slightly wider field of view then humans, but would have at best 20/10 vision and a narrower area of binocular vision, compromising depth perception.

Human vision is among the best in the animal kingdom.
>>
>>28701897
>Not hunting for meat
>Not hunting to control pests and varmints and helping the ecosystem
>Not even hunting for sport, but wanting to kill them out of 'hate'
>Literally being the people that liberals use against hunters
Still mad about that dog chasing you as kid huh? gtfo edgelord, you're a stain on the hunting community

>>28701913
Huh that's pretty interesting, thanks for teaching me something new. We don't have dangerous big cats in Germany (but my cat can cause some nasty swipes when you play with her) so there's no need to hunt them. Yeah we have lynxes but they are cool af and they keep their distance from humans anyway
>>
>>28701897
>mfw I don't have a job, drive a car or vote
>>
>>28701913
I assume predatory birds are the only ones better?
>>
There's a little 5 point buck in my neighborhood. Along with 3 does. Sometimes he follows me to my truck. I have home a carrot once, he ate it right from my hand. Forgot where I was going with this.
Oh just dress like a carrot and deer will follow you all over.
>>
As far as I'm concerned, the best argument in favor of camouflage, no matter what you're hunting, is that it sure as hell can't hurt (>inb4 you'll be mistaken for a durr hurr hurr). What's a deer more likely to be receptive to: a vague silhouette it may not be able to distinguish from the surroundings due to it being cloaked in familiar natural patterns, or a giant uniform blob?
>>
>>28701978
>the deer pied piper
>>
>>28701978
>didn't hit any of that
>didn't cuck the buck
How can you be so beta?
>>
>>28701941
>That's why they don't have jobs, or drive cars, or vote.
I thought germans were supposed to be smart, you on the other hand are a fucking dumbass

The joke
Your head
>>
>>28701895
For them, it's more about having good peripheral vision and night vision.
>>
>>28700665

Farrah Fawcett = oldfag detected.
>>
I wear a gillie suit poncho and just my every day clothes. I "still" hunt with a bow so being mistaken as mossman is the only real risk i take during bow season. outside of that the standard bight orange vest.
>>
File: 1453675828955.jpg (167 KB, 718x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453675828955.jpg
167 KB, 718x1080
What is best to wear when hunting coyotes? Varmint season opens up soon and it's snowy here. I was thinking arctic poncho with white balaclava, white cloth wraps on rifle
>>
>>28697960
Underrated post.
>>
>>28697680
Most of the time if you wear brown, olive, black, gray then it doesn't matter. Most animals are color blind, but recognize certain colors better than others.

Deer recognize blue the best, past that they're blind. They are far more sensitive to motion.

Bears don't like yellow shades.

Turkeys see color so you better be head to toe.
>>
>>28697680
Depends on what you're hunting.

Deer are color blind but supposedly notice blue and solid colors will catch their attention as well.

Birds see colors quite well, so it's very important when hunting them.

Predators...I'm afraid I haven't looked far enough into that to tell you much.
>>
>>28703494
Something that won't get you shot by other hunters.
>>
File: mantis_shrimp.jpg (106 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
mantis_shrimp.jpg
106 KB, 500x333
>>28701913
>Human vision is among the best in the animal kingdom.
pic related would disagree
>>
>>28700609

They are dumb as fuck, but also extremely skittish (most of the time) and can see just as good as the old timers say they can. Same goes for ducks and pretty much all birds.

Deer, predators, and varmints are a different story. They can't see every color and rely on scent and motion detection. Deer can't see reds or ornages, but they do see blues and greens. Dress accordingly.
>>
>>28697680
Yes they do the huntiny camo is designed to fool animals becuase of their eyes
>>
>>28698954
This is the correct reason for bright vests. You'll get Cheney'd if you don't look like a traffic cone.
>>
>>28701947
Time to die, you filthy animal.
>>
>>28697680
Depends on what you're hunting.

Most herd animals, and herbivores for that matter are, to some degree, colorblind, and nearsighted (that has nothing to say for their hearing ability).
Most predatory animals have quite sharp vision, with a broad spectrum of colors visible.

In short, if you're durr huntin, orange is fine.
If you're Lion hunting, it's stupid.
>>
>>28701947
Get shot, hippie.
>>
>>28703640
He said among you try-hard.
>>
>>28700280
>>28700592

I always just tie an orange ribbon around the tree I'm sitting against.
>>
Just don't be the dumb fag I ran into one time.
>deer season
>trespassing
>wearing fucking brown overalls with a white undershirt
Ligit think he may have been trying to get killer, or maybe a lawsuit.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.