[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone defend their own guns so much? For example:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (352 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.png
352 KB, 1242x2208
Why does everyone defend their own guns so much?

For example:

Typical /k/ poster, owns a Springfield. "Man this grip safety is so wonderful, it's the best safety on the market, etc..."

Then example /k/ poster sells the Springfield years later. "Oh man, Springfield safeties suck, I used to own one"

It's as if you all have a refusal to admit buyers remorse.
>>
>>28679918
Because admitting that you bought shit requires admitting that you made a mistake and may be an idiot.

That said, I regret two Mausers, an Enfield, a Schmidt-Rubin, a 105CTi II, and at least two Mosin Nagants. The SKS is okay.
>>
>>28679918
People want to defend thier choices. Same with cars and consoles. Though don't see a lot of people defending the xdm
>>
I regret buying a 308 vepr I should have saved up and bought a scar 17
>>
>>28679968
Finally some truth on /k/

Regret admitting thread?

I regret Remington 870 post 2008
I regret the Trijicon red dot for my pistol, it's useless imo and costed a fortune
>>
I fell for the PTR meme.
>>
Cognitive dissonance

Existing literature suggests that three main conditions exist for arousal of dissonance in purchases: the decision involved in the purchase must be important, such as involvement of a lot of money or psychological cost and be personally relevant to the consumer, the consumer has freedom in selecting among the alternatives, and finally, the decision involvement must be irreversible

>A study performed by Lindsay Mallikin shows that when consumers experience an unexpected price encounter, they adopt three methods to reduce dissonance:[39] Consumers may employ a strategy of constant information, they may have a change in attitude, or they may engage in trivialization. Consumers employ the strategy of constant information by engaging in bias and searching for information that supports their prior beliefs. Consumers might search for information about other retailers and substitute products consistent with their belief states. Alternatively, consumers may show change in attitude such as reevaluating price in relation to external reference prices or associating high or low prices with quality. Lastly, trivialization may occur and the importance of the elements of the dissonant relationship is reduced; consumers tend to trivialize importance of money, and thus of shopping around, saving, and receiving a better deal.
>>
>>28680037
>Cognitive dissonance is also useful to explain and manage post-purchase concerns. A consumer who feels an alternate purchase would have been better will likely not buy the product again. To counter this, marketers have to convince buyers constantly that the product satisfies their need and thereby helps reduce their cognitive dissonance, ensuring repurchase of the same brand in the future.[citation needed] An example of post-purchase dissonance resolution used in a client relation is a salesperson congratulating his buyer on "having made the right choice".

At times cognitive dissonance is induced, rather than resolved, to market products. The Hallmark Cards tag line "When you care enough to send the very best" is an example of a marketing strategy that creates guilt in the buyer if he or she goes for a less expensive card. Such aggressive marketing ensures that the recipient also is aware that the product has a premium price. This encourages the consumer to buy the expensive cards on special occasions.
>>
>>28680027
And the Tavor shilling
>>
I regret my mossberg 500 persuader, should've saved another $100 and gone with a 590A1, but its my first gun so I can't really hate on it too long.
>>
File: 1453616283453.jpg (54 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1453616283453.jpg
54 KB, 604x453
I always see LaRue getting shilled on here (though mostly ARFCOM), but I see constant issues from LaRue rifles. I had an OBR 5.56 20" and it would NOT stop jamming and failing to eject with a multitude of ammo and oils.

Called LaRue, it took a while to get my gun back, they sent it back... and didn't fix the problems. I tried everything from Hornady Supermatch to el-cheapo Wolf steel cased and it still had the same problems.

I said "fuck it" and sold it. I already had a DDM4V11 LW and I just kept using that. I just set the money aside into savings so I can buy a new car soon.
>>
>>28680037
>>28680045
Also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization
>>
>>28679918
because can have different opinions, you autist
>>
>>28679968
Oh, and add a Beretta Neos U22 in "Inox." I listened to fuddnatic family and bought into the 22LR pistol meme. It isn't particularly accurate, cost $327 in 2007, and jams every other magazine. Now it fires 7cpr unobtanium cartridges.
>>
File: showmetheclueorillblueyou.jpg (25 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
showmetheclueorillblueyou.jpg
25 KB, 500x333
>>28679918
human nature, we don't like to be wrong.

Also, we generally only buy something that we already believe to be the best. You don't buy a $1800 M1A without already being convinced that 7.62 should have never been abandoned for a round that was designed to wound, and you don't spend $300 more on a striker-fired 9mm than you should unless you truly believe cocking wings are the latest and greatest innovation that only German engineering could create
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-25-12-53-18.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-25-12-53-18.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>28679994
I regret this thing now that I have a PTR FR that can probably sling lead farther, more accurately, and with more power. I already have a nice MI Recce AR for my duty rifle so this is like totally pointless in my collection. How much you guys want to pay for it?
>>
>>28680084

>In cognitive science, choice-supportive bias is the tendency to retroactively ascribe positive attributes to an option one has selected. It is a cognitive bias. For example, if a person chooses option A instead of option B, they are likely to ignore or downplay the faults of option A while amplifying those of option B. Conversely, they are also likely to notice and amplify the advantages of option A and not notice or de-emphasize those of option B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias
We are a bunch of dumb monkeys that like to over rationalize our decisions to the point we defend faults
>>
>>28680092
Ill give you a shiny new nickel for it, but you'll need to throw in some mags and ammo.

Things I regret buying:
SIG 716 (pos)
SU-16 (pos that self-destructed)
MAG7 (maybe not so much now that its considered collectors item)
Mosin Nagant (rusted bore within 48hrs of shooting first few rounds and not cleaning)
>>
File: 3utuqg.jpg (46 KB, 479x390) Image search: [Google]
3utuqg.jpg
46 KB, 479x390
>>28679918
All guns are shit. Every gun you like, it's shit. Every gun you hate, it's also shit.

Everything is fucking shit.

>Glock?
Shit
>HK?
Shit
>Sig?
Shit
>S&W
Shit
>Springfield?
Shit
>Walther?
Shit
>Wilson Combat
Shit
>Beretta?
Shit
CZ?
Shit

Do you get it now? Your guns are shit.
>>
I had like 15 guns at one point a few years ago, then got on some severely hard financial times and had to sell almost all of them.

I definitely miss some, but it's nice to have some perspective now. Instead of just buying whatever I impulsively feel like, I just wait to get exactly what I really want. I learned I don't care for revolvers or the yugo SKS, but that I really like USP's and CZ.
>>
>>28680146
>Mosin Nagant (rusted bore within 48hrs of shooting first few rounds and not cleaning)

Kek. It's corrosive ammo you retard. Mosins are shit though.
>>
While I have my favorites, I can't say that I've ever really "regretted" a gun purchase.

I've got a few that I barely shoot (mostly C&R) but I knew that when I bought them. I bought a Nagant revolver because it was $99 knowing full well that I'd probably never put more than a box of rounds through it in my entire life.

If I were old enough to have a C&R when you could get an SKS for $79, I'd probably have 10 of the damn things.

For those that regret their purchases, at least appreciate the fact that you can own guns at all. Kind of like regretting a girl - if you could go back maybe you wouldn't have started with her but at least you got laid while you were with her.
>>
If you ever played on the playground in 4th or 5th grade, then you'd understand /k/ perfectly.
>>
I dont buy budget parts, finger fuck parts in person, and research with the autism of a thousand suns.

I have not purchased anything I regret
>>
Regret thread? Honest thread?

I regret my sig 556 swat patrol, too front heavy, should've just bought a damn ak. Kinda regret my 995, but it's so fun to shoot some days.
>>
I regret none of my purchases because I learned what I liked or did not like about certain guns and never lose money reselling them.

Now I know what I actually like and have a lot of experience under my belt.
>>
>>28679918
I own a Sig Mosquito. I admit it's a piece of shit but it's still fun to shoot because it never really had too bad of the cycling problems that I hear about involving them, so I'm one of the lucky ones in that case.
>>
>>28680330
This, pretty much. Adult society is just a more complex version of the school yard playground. Calling some of the older members of /k/ grown up children is an insult to actual children, though.
>>
I'm pretty honest about my Shield. Too thin for shooting but comfortable to carry. Trigger is fine but I wish the safety is a drop larger. Slide release a shit.
>>
I regret buying a CETME
I regret buying a RFB
I regret buying a KSG
I regret buying a P3-AT
I regret buying a LCP
I regret buying a VEPR 308
I regret buying a Raging Judge
I regret buying a rossi 38
I regret buying every WASR I've owned
>>
>>28679918

I regret buying a remington 597 and somewjat regret the 870 too. The 870 works great, but the action is kinda rough and the finish is garbage. Might send it to wilson combat to be refurbished

Other than that I love my guns

Ive got a marlin model 60 from the 80's. Its a piece of garbage but it was free

Ive got a browning A-bolt in .30-06 that I have zero complaints about. Paid $799 for it on clearance with a nikon prostaff

And ive got an AR I built that I also love. I wish I had done an A1 build and then done an m4gery, instead of the 18" spr I built, but it's still a sweet gun
>>
>>28680146
>didn't immediately clean the mosin
It's your own damned fault retard.
>>
I inherited a few guns that I really have no intention of ever using, so I can`t really regret having them. But I do hate having to be responsible for a bunch of somewhat useless guns that I would rather sell for stuff I would be able to use on a fairly regular basis or that I just like more.

Included is:
>Sportenized M1916 with a Quail carved into the stock.
>Sportenized Beretta Carcano.
>Marlin 33 Goose gun.
>A M1934 thats in great condition but won`t shoot straight, my Uncle recently asked for it back so I don`t have it anymore.

I did however get a Pre-Freedom group 870 wingmaster and a Parker Hale LTD with an old jap scope mounted on it.
>>
>>28680177
>no Ruger on list

Ruger confirmed for greatest firearms manufacturer
>>
>>28680934
Ruger is absolute shit bruh
>>
I sort of regret getting a VP9 after that video mac did. I think though with a closed striker plate and some heavier springs it would solve the problem it had though. It's other wise a reliable and great feeling gun though. The water thing is disconcerting.
>>
>>28680802
>century
>keltec
>a .308 vepr and not a 54r one at the least
>taurus

Jesus fucking christ anon, get your shit together
>>
File: 1436860753880.jpg (84 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
1436860753880.jpg
84 KB, 800x534
I sorta feel buyer's remorse for buying a spike's midlength simply because I didn't put in enough research to know the cosmetic differences between a carbine and midlength ar15 and wanted something that looked like a colt m4 in pic

Oh well, midlength is marginally better and I'm not selling my first gun because of it. I would of had to got a 14.5 inch then anyways.

I do like the handguards on a carbine length though.
>>
>>28681093
Are you ever going to get into that kind of situation? Probably not. You like the gun, and if it works, keep it.

Literally the only negative about the vp9 is a 15rd 9mm fullsize in the year 2016.
>>
>>28681041
your dad is a retard
>>
>recce
I fucking hate that. Just fucking call it recon
>>
I regret settling for a slanted dustcover 92fs. I can never unsee it and every time I lay my eyes on it, that's the immediate spot my eyes go. Feelsbadman.
>>
>>28681149
Your dad is absolute shit bruh
>>
>>28681145
>Are you ever going to get into that kind of situation? Probably not.

Yeah, dropping your gun in a puddle is so unlikely to happen.
>>
>>28679918
>buy old used guns because muh history and cheap
>realize I could've got something I actually wanted
>sell everything, even the nugget
>>
I paid $700 for a kahr p380 because I was stationed in Cali (California legal).

I regret not just waiting until I moved home. I could have a reliable 380 and another gun on top of it.
>>
>>28681041
VIDF please leave.
>>
I regret buying my NPAP and it's shitty trigger pins that would walk out and render the gun useless after one admittedly cool runaway mag dump.

I regret buying a FEG, I should have known it was shit.

I regret buying a weatherby shotgun when I could have bought a mossy for the same price.

What do you regret selling, /k/?
Me personally it's my HK45
>>
When I was 18 I couldn't decide if I wanted a WASR or to build an AR, it would have been my first firearm that I purchased on my own. For some reason I went with the WASR despite knowing it was a piece of shit. Even though I sold that rifle years ago, I still regret not building an AR, WASRs are seriously shit, as are most other AK variants in that price range.
>>
>>28680802
Fuuuck. I just put a RFB on layaway. How bad is it? I talked to three guys who liked theirs and researched it a fair bit, so I went ahead with it when I saw one locally for a good price.
>>
I regret nothing I've bought because I research the fuck out of everything
>>
>>28681518
What's wrong with the FEG? I'm assuming a Hi power right? They all look so rough so I have always been hesitant.
>>
>>28681820
Wait until you have to move halfway across a continent to a liberal shithole and half of everything in your collection is banned and you have to find a home for everything.

Oh, and I guess tastes change. I used to enjoy ARs, but I only keep them around for family and company to shoot. I regret my $100 No. 4 Mark 2, because it could have been a tenth of the way to something worth having.
>>
I have a WASR
cheap ass AR-15 I built from a blemished lower with an upper that cost less than $400 total
Glock 23
LCP

Don't regret any of them and don't really want any more guns either. happy with what I have.
>>
The 870 is hot garbage through and through.
The 5.7 round leaves a lot to be desired.
Saiga 12s are finicky and warp the first shell in the mag.
Vepr 12s aren't as good as people make them out to be.
The CZ75B is unaesthetic as fuck and heavy.
The SPAS 12 is a good looking turd.
AR15s are boring as shit.
AKMs are vastly outdated but functional.
Chiappa's QC and CS are shit tier.
Stoeger is no different.
Century is better than people give them credit for.

I can keep going, OP.
>>
Browsing /k/, one would get the impression that every gun sucks.
>>
I don't mind my FG 870. It's fine.

I hated my Kahr CM9. Absolute piece of shit that was totally unreliable and sucked to shoot.
>>
>>28682055
They are all terrible and expensive. I don't know why the liberals even try to ban them, when we could be left alone to suffer.
>>
>>28681983
>The 870 is hot garbage through and through.
Should've got one pre-Cerberus
>>
>>28682278
Got it in 2008, no one knew back then.
>>
>>28679918
I used to slightly regret buying a CZ-452 in .17 Hornady Meme Rimfire instead of .22LR (it was my first gun and I didn't really know any better at the time).

Then the .22 shortage happened, and I was still actually able to shoot my gun while every other pleb suffered. .17HMR is really fun anyway.

Other than that, I'm pretty content with all of my purchases because I research them to the point of severe autism.
>>
>>28682299
I'm sorry for your loss

I have an old 870 and 1100, no rust whatsoever after being left uncleaned in an attic for 20+ years. They function great.
>>
>>28679918

I never regretted any of my guns. But I regret that I always buy at MSRP because I'm lazy and don't have the patience to wait until a good deal on armslist or gunbroker comes up.
>>
>>28679918
I will fully admit that my AR would be better off with a KMR or some other lightweight handguard instead of A2 style handguards.

I built the gun two years ago, times were different then, the KMR wasn't out, shelfmod and shit were still new, and fagpul's attachment system was still mostly on fagpul stuff. My main concerns were to have flip down front sights like on an SPR and to not have a big bulky heavy quadrail, so plastic handguard was a good choice for what I wanted.

Also my attitude towards adjustable stocks has changed, since I'm more interested in learning to shoot with a square stance now.

If I built it today I would have done it differently, probably would have used the same 18" rainier CHF barrel because it's a nice weight and I dont' care about bench accuracy, probably would have put a telescopic stock and a KMR on it, and probably would have skipped the autism anti roll pins to save money, not that I regret having them.

That having been said, OD A2 furniture is sexy as hell and I think my gun looks really good, also I can mount a bayonet on my armalite railed gas block, so I don't really regret anything.
>>
>>28682334
It's all good, thing only cost me $300.
I use it to launch bottle rockets out of these days.
God damn it gets dirty.
>>
>>28681246
yeah then he'll have to stop shooting and take it apart to let it dry

vagina gun 9 is more like it
>>
>>28681983
>AR-15s are boring

son, I...
>>
>>28682652
Agree, because they are?
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.