[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well, this is the scariest goddamn book I have ever read. It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 15
File: images.jpg (37 KB, 427x648) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
37 KB, 427x648
Well, this is the scariest goddamn book I have ever read.

It would never happen. W- would it, /k/?
>>
It won't happen if you bend over the table and back that ass up
>>
He just released the sequel to it last September (One Year After). There may even be a third book to things.
>>
>>28668260
If you accept that it would take energy output on the scale of the Tsar Bomba to seriously affect more than a quarter of the country with temporary effects (EMPs do not permanently destroy more than a very small portion of ICB applications, and even that requires ridiculous power output) and also accept the simple fact that all US defense and nuclear forces are EMP hardened, meaning no power executing such an attack can do so and not expect swift and terrible reciprocity, and then further accept that it would require multiple massive warheads (currently beyond the limits anyone has mounted to any ICBM or SLBM ever) plus several dozen other missiles with penaids to be sure of saturating missile defense above the CONUS, sure. It could totally happen.

Meanwhile, in the real world, this concern is pretty far down the list of realistic scenarios.

Outside of entertaining fiction, this scenario was little more than Newt Gingrich's attempt to scare the shit out of people and ride that shit wave into the White House.
>>
>plus several dozen other missiles with penaids to be sure of saturating missile defense above the CONUS

>he thinks we actually have a missile defense system that is in any way effective
>>
>>28668427
Well the issue more becomes that of someone making an emp device and detonating it next to the stock exchange

Trillions gone instantly.
>>
>>28668465
Whatchu know about that 13 layer defense system son
>>
>>28668260
before the misinformed posts start

1. yes our power grid is vunerable, but not as bad as most post apoc stuff makes it out to be, the carrington event and the starfish prime shot are the most 2 reffered to events when considering effects of EMP. Keep in mind that though our infrastructure is vunerable to EMP and we can build better protections against it, we cannot protect against something like carrington.

2. regarding EMP, if your shit isnt plugged in or attached to antenna at the time of an event then it will most likely be fine.

3. most cars will be fine, yes even new cars with computers

4. If you are prepared for other, much more probable emergencies, like a fucking snowstorm, or hurricane, you will be much better off if EMP happens. You should prepare for most likely emergencies FIRST then worry about fantasy shit much much later.This isnt the kind of thing you really plan or prepare for and trying to is an excercise in futility. Literally EMP and Nuclear war should be just above "Alien invasion" at the bottom of your "prep for" list.
>>
>>28668427
OR, we can look at the actual Congressional findings on the matter that said if an EMP-enhanced nuclear strike took place in the upper atmosphere, 80-90% of the US population would be dead.
>>
>>28668469
Maybe, but the stock exchange itself is mostly a show - most trading occurs at other buildings around the city or elsewhere, using dedicated fiber optic communications and software bots doing the trading.
>>
>>28668519
Which as a previous telecom professional worries me, most people don't know that even big fiber optic bundles require little more than a sharp boot strike to break irreparably
>>
>>28668465
Oh, well you better go and tell the Russians and Chinese to stop making and mounting penaids, then. Clearly, thanks to your knowledge and expertise, they are no longer required.

Meanwhile, in the real world, missile intercepts are a thing. While not hugely effective at stopping any sort of large scale attack, a significant portion of warheads would be intercepted. This means that your massive, super expensive and super secret EMP warhead missile (of which you need over a dozen to even temporarily hiccup the US) can be intercepted, requiring you to build even more of them to be assured of full coverage, plus penaids.

Only an idiot plans for 100% success rate, especially when the enemy has publicly tested systems which can intercept ballistic missiles.

>>28668469
Such a weapon detonated at ground or airburst level would destroy New York long before any EMP was worried about. EMPs are high altitude detonation nuclear weapons, and while you can simulate one with enough power and infrastructure, the idea that someone can detonate one anywhere close to an inhabited area without the infrastructure and power draw being noticed is fantasy. Furthermore, the pulse range of such a thing at low atmosphere is abysmal.
>>
>>28668498
Gee, I'd love to see you produce that report.
>>
>>28668537
I'm sure they're very heavily insulated against external wear - keep in mind that these are billion dollar companies that are having fiber custom installed (with permission from the city) to be as direct as possible to trading hubs - because everything's digital and automated, microseconds of advantage matter.
>>
>>28668427
>Meanwhile, in the real world, this concern is pretty far down the list of realistic scenarios.
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-01-07/russians-have-learned-how-to-hack-power-grids

Not an EMP, but comes pretty close in terms of potential damage that can be received. The only reason those grids went back up is because terminally disabling them wasn't an intention.
>>
>>28668601
>http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-01-07/russians-have-learned-how-to-hack-power-grids
>Russians temporarily bring down a small portion of the Ukrainian power grid
>which was designed at the basic level to be almost identical to their own
>in a neighboring country
>which they have fully penetrated with human assets and technology for decades

And this equates to the Russians bringing down the entire US power grid how?
>>
>>28668594
I'm sure, my only issue with fiber being, if you take more than 10% give or take of the strands from a bundle then the whole system cuts out, say you've got 1500 strands in a large bundle, take 200 and crack them and suddenly miles of cable become completely useless. Not to mention how heat sensitive they are.
I'm not complaining, just hoping to shed light on how delicate fiber is. Plus even a temporary hiccup in trading effectively ruins massive company's. Hell walking into the stock exchange with a bomb could cause some damage I'm sure
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (457 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457 KB, 600x450
>people unironically and seriously consider that a nation would cross the nuclear threshold just for an EMP

I shiggy diggy do
>>
>>28668427

>If you accept that it would take energy output on the scale of the Tsar Bomba to seriously affect more than a quarter of the country with temporary effects (EMPs do not permanently destroy more than a very small portion of ICB applications, and even that requires ridiculous power output)

it could be done with as little as 5 megatons. The bomb isnt what is affecting electronics, its the electrons being knocked out of the ionoshpere and collecting anywhere that it can thats the problem.

>and also accept the simple fact that all US defense and nuclear forces are EMP hardened, meaning no power executing such an attack can do so and not expect swift and terrible reciprocity, and then further accept that it would require multiple massive warheads (currently beyond the limits anyone has mounted to any ICBM or SLBM ever) plus several dozen other missiles with penaids to be sure of saturating missile defense above the CONUS.....

not all of our defenses are hardened and currently to much of our defense communications infrastructure depends on unprotected civilian equipment.

AT&T longlines no longer exists. It would be a real problem but you're right about a full scale attack on the US being improbable and extremely difficult.

>pretty far down on the list

I agree, people worry about this shot when there are much more pressing issues

>newt gingrichs attempt

incorrect, the report which you are reffering to came out the day before 9/11

that wasnt even an election year, and although newt did the forward for forstchens book, it was hardly enough of a hot button political issue to propel newt into the whitehouse, though he did use it as talking points to batter congress for doing nothing to get the civilian infrastructure to harden their assets
>>
>>28668582
You couldn't spend 5 seconds googling? Pathetic.

>http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf
>>
>>28668498
thats not what the report said at all
>>
>>28668673
>thinking Iran or the Norks wouldn't use a way to cripple the US that only requires a few bombs
>forgetting about lax Russian security of their nuke arsenal
>>
>>28668738
>http://www.activistpost.com/2014/05/congress-learns-emp-could-kill-90-of.html
>Dr. Peter Pry, a member of the Congressional EMP Commission, testified that an EMP event whether from a rogue state or the sun could wipe out 90% of America’s population.
>“Natural EMP from a geomagnetic super-storm, like the 1859 Carrington Event or 1921 Railroad Storm, and nuclear EMP attack from terrorists or rogue states, as practiced by North Korea during the nuclear crisis of 2013, are both existential threats that could kill 9 of 10 Americans through starvation, disease, and societal collapse,” Pry told the committee.

Uh huh. I read the actual report and it certainly said that.
>>
>>28668747
>implying either of those nations are irrational enough to do such a thing

Despite what the media tell you the Iranians and Norks are not that stupid.

There are far, far better ways to make use of a nuclear weapon and an EMP is not one of them.
>>
>>28668664
there are trading shutdown proceedures that anyone even remotely familiar with recent stock market events should be well aware of
>>
>>28668698
you couldnt spend 15 minutes leafing through the report to find out you're an idiot?
>>
>>28668803
It's only irrational if the finger can be pointed at you. You can let a third party do the actual deed. "Oh they stole that nuke we didn't give it to them we're so sad this happened." You can have large rockets launched from container ships, after all.
>>
>>28668698
That report in no way, shape or form suggests that >>28668498
>80-90% of the US population would be dead.

You couldn't be fucked to learn how to read? Pathetic.
>>
>>28668781
That was not in the actual report and represents the furthest FRINGE of scientific worst case modelling for those effects.

The truth is that no one has any clue what the secondary effect fallout from such an event would be.
>>
>>28668838
>didn't read even 1 of the 208 pages and is just sputtering an angry reply
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 410x307) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 410x307
>>28668698
I'm not the guy you were replying to, but I have an honest question.

Are you a pathological liar, or are you just dumb? Did you post this source, having read it, hoping that no one would read it; or did you just not read it?

The only reference to casualities from an EMP event is in the preface, where the authors say "many people may die" due to the destruction of infrastructure. No allusion at all to that 80-90% statistic you parroted earlier.
>>
>>28668781
thats not what the report actually says though, thats one member of the commitees opinion being restated for another committee.
>>
>>28668874
He's actually Newt Gingrich, still bitter about losing to Mitt Romney.
>>
>>28668866
Gee I'd love to see some sources to back up this claim of yours that this doctor testifying to Congress is just some fringe whacko. You know, since he's got his scientific doctorate, and is an expert chosen to research this matter, and you aren't.
>>
>>28668843

What?

I'm fairly sure that Oppenheimer will agree with me on this. Neither of those nations would likely cross the nuclear threshold for something like a EMP.

Of course, that's implying that they had the tech to even get the thing across and passed all the US / allied countries BMD defences.

>You can have large rockets launched from container ships, after all.

Opinion discarded

literally "Argentinian will invaded the Falklands with container ships" tier
>>
>>28668843
the process of refining nuclear fuel creates specific isotopes that can be linked backed to that process.
>>
i feel like reading some books any good ones?
what about podcasts is that war college one from reuters any good?
>>
>>28668899
The simple fact that NONE of his testified views made it into the consensus report to congress, and of all the doctors that testified at that hearing, he's literally the ONLY one running around like chicken little.

It's pretty goddamn obvious to anyone with half a brain he had a hobby horse.
>>
>>28668924

Depends.

What do you want to learn?

International security?

Nuclear warfare / policy?
>>
>>28668636
All power grid networks are organized in fundamentally the same fashion, and share exactly the same software and human vulnerabilites. All it takes to monitor their operational status is just one breach, all it takes to shut one down is one coordinated attack. The point of the matter is, such an attack has been unprecedented until now, so it's entirely within the realm of possibility.
>>
>>28668871
>only read 1 page of the report and acts like an expert on the subject
>>
>>28668934
>>28668934
anything i prefer nonfiction as of late as far as books go but ill read anything interesting like the last book i read was voices from chernobyl and roadside picnic
International politics, nuclear shit is always fascinating to me, maybe military stuff as well or history especially
>>
>>28668988
>share exactly the same software and human vulnerabilites

lol no

I am no electronic engineer, but I know enough that you are just talking straight out of your ass

>the same software

No.

How could this even be correct?

>>28669012

Here's a good reading

Oppenheimer's recommended reading list

On Thermonuclear War By Herman Kahn
On Limited Nuclear War in the 21st Century by Jeffrey Larsen and Kerry Kartchner
The Evolution of Nuclear Strategy, Third Edition by Lawrence Freedman
Russian Strategic Nuclear Forces by Pavel Podvig
Nuclear Statecraft: History and Strategy in America's Atomic Age by Francis J. Gavin
Eating Grass: The Making of the Pakistani Bomb by Feroz Khan
Prevention, Pre-emption and the Nuclear Option: From Bush to Obama by Aiden Warren
Nuclear Deterrence in the 21st Century: Lessons from the Cold War for a New Era of Strategic Piracy by Thérèse Delpech
Analyzing Strategic Nuclear Policy by Charles L. Glaser
Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes
Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb by Richard Rhodes
Nuclear Strategy in the Modern Era: Regional Powers and International Conflict by Vipin Narang
Building the H Bomb: A Personal History By Kenneth W Ford
>>
>>28668874
the quote he posted is from someone testifying in front of a committee.

hes literally to stupid to realize that the quote he posted isnt in the report
>>
>>28669031
because all power grids have to follow the same laws of physics, jackass

>same software

entirely possible but unlikely

most controls except for monitoring software is still analog or air gapped anyhow
>>
File: 1450150258169.jpg (8 KB, 198x195) Image search: [Google]
1450150258169.jpg
8 KB, 198x195
>>28668866
Dayum. Check em'
>>
File: stock.jpg (702 KB, 1913x2480) Image search: [Google]
stock.jpg
702 KB, 1913x2480
It spooks the skeleton out of me.
>>
>>28669122
Trip dubs confirm truth.
>>
Do you manchildren just run around LOOKING for shit to be afraid of, no matter how improbable?

Does it feel good to live your life constantly terrified by incredibly improbable possibilities?

Grow the fuck up, and live your lives.
>>
>all these idiots in this thread on both sides of the argument arguing about shit they don't understand and making bold claims without any proper citing of sources
>worse than fucking watching people argue about climate change

I hope you all die.
>>
>>28669090

Where did I say that they don't?

But to say that they are exactly the same is retarded, Russia runs powers their sockets at 230 V, 50hz, whilst the US runs theirs at 120 V, 60 Hz.

This alone makes a difference I'm sure.

>entirely possible but unlikely

No it isn't.

Likely they aren't even programmed in the same language, god forbid. How can you even type that shit out? Have you ever programmed something in yourself?
>>
>>28669145
because if the world as we know it ended at least they'd have an excuse for being a miserable depressive shut in who isnt getting laid
>>
>>28669174
>no it isnt

yes, it is.

there are only a handful of companies that make control software, the market for it really isnt that big and the companies that make the software are long established.

companies like Seimens, Johnson Controls, Simplex, etc....
>>
>>28669031
nice ill check some of those out, any podcasts?
>>
>>28669174
Different guy, programmer here. Most of the software for those sorts of things is written in assembly code, which is really easy to translate between compared to higher-level languages.
>>
>>28669174
>this alone makes a difference

nigger did you read what i wrote?

there are zero fundamental differences in how powergrids are structured. changes the FUCKING VOLTAGE AT THE USER STEP DOWN LEVEL has absolutely fuck all to do with the physics of it.

Now if eastern europe was operaying on DC power then yeah, there'd be a little difference
>>
>>28668698
You know what's really funny?

I have read that entire thing. Among the highlights:
>only 10% of vehicles Made after 2000 and currently operating would suffer malfunctions requiring driver intervention
>0% of vehicles not turned on would be disabled
>of the 10% of newer vehicles that malfunctioned, only ~20% would be permanently disabled
>traffic lights would be almost universally disabled (meaning 99.9% of the driving population of kentucky would die at the first intersection they got to. Seriously, these people are 9999x more retarded behind the wheel than they are normally)
>>
>>28668494
Highly Underated post. This is why the LDS church advocates food storage anove all else, and other stuff later. This is also why the CDC came out with that zombie preperation ad.
>>
>>28669339
This. Just got done reading through it. That anon is a fucking retard.
>>
>>28669339
>>28670359
Why do people even bother trying to post sources and then claim total bullshit about them like that? Is it that important to win on the internet?
>>
>>28668843
>You can let a third party do the actual deed.

Wouldn't matter.
Your nuclear security is so bad that it leads to the use of one of your nuclear weapons against the US?
There is a Major Attack Option for that.
>>
>>28668494
Listen to this man.
>>
File: 1447452568790.jpg (90 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
1447452568790.jpg
90 KB, 858x536
solar flares can do similar things to electrical grids in the event that they're strong enough to reach earth. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1989_geomagnetic_storm
>>
>>28669135
this.

/thread
>>
>>28668304
Amazon says its not out until June
>>
>>28668260
If you think that is scary then don't read Alas Babylon by Pat Frank. If you are looking for a good post apocalypse series i recommend starting with Going Home by Angry American. Just be ready for the mean old fuck that goes by the callsign "blanket"
>>
>>28672502
that was the book near the base in florida no? man i love those kinds of books any suggestions?
>>
>>28668260
Takes place in my neck of the woods. I haven't read it but it's on the list
>>
>tfw no one will ever write a book about grunts in Cold War Europe after the nukes go off
Everything will always be waaah, my civvies. What about the poor shits that have to fight Soviet tanks driving through a radioactive ashcloud?
>>
>>28668498
>80-90% dead
Maybe over a time scale of eighty years.
>>
>>28670384
>There is a Major Attack Option for that.

Anything you can tell us about? I'd be interesting in knowing more.
>>
>>28672599
I'm pretty sure there was a book about a US tank division fighting in post-nuclear Europe.
>>
File: thatfeelagain.png (24 KB, 601x695) Image search: [Google]
thatfeelagain.png
24 KB, 601x695
>>28669207
>>
>>28668469
No, not really. Data is replicated in real time and stored underground across the world.
>>
>>28672531
Yes that is the one. Like i said I highly recommend the A. American book. My second recommendation is James Wesley, Rawles. While i did not enjoy these books as much as the A. American they were still ok. Rawles series follows different characters in the same universe so you don't have to read them in order. Patriots was my favorite with Liberators being a distant 2nd. Expatriates was... ok i guess. I have not read Founders yet
>>
>>28672369
Seeing as how I have a copy of One Year After sitting on my desk, no I can assure you it's already out.

>>28672704
Rawles on the other hand writes utterly masturbatory and unrealistic tripe.
>>
File: 1272043644570.jpg (104 KB, 884x740) Image search: [Google]
1272043644570.jpg
104 KB, 884x740
>>28672599
There's not a whole lot of factual documents to base the idea off. Nobody has actual experience with it, obviously, and similarly there's zero real-world experience on the use of tactical nukes. You can run the numbers and the theory for fourty years, but if the European theater had gone thermonuclear hot, I suspect the reality of tactical weapon usage would have been a lot different than expected.

What I personally do know is that on the NATO side of things, tactical weapons were almost wholly left to the discretion of the theatre commanders, so if you wanted to make a semi-accurate story, you'd have to pin down an exact time and do a lot of research on who the commanders were, and what their thinking was. Some might use direct strikes in preparation for counter-offensives, some might target rear echelon logistics, some might just open up with fucking everything, to prevent losing them in pre-emptive strikes, some might hold back to use on targets of opportunity.
>>
File: 1447150333520.png (382 KB, 426x605) Image search: [Google]
1447150333520.png
382 KB, 426x605
Please stop shilling this stupid fucking book. I've read it and it's the worst and most poorly thought out apocalypse porn I've ever laid eyes on.
>>
>>28668469
Good riddance.
>>
>>28672825
The bastards delayed the paperback release. those clever fucks
>>
bunch of rocket scientists in this thread who seriously overestimate the competency of our government
>>
>>28672599
Twilight 2000. Why write it when you can play it as a tabletop game?
>>
>>28672891
On the contrary, I've read a lot of books in the genre and it's one of the best, along with Collision Course by Crawford.

Among the worst are Patriots by Rawles and Lights Out by Crawford which both go completely into the realm of absurd wank-fest. Anything Rawles writes should be understood through the lens of his family being property salesmen in Idaho and the surrounding states. The whole "American Redoubt" concept he loves to push is literally to get rubes to buy land/houses where his family can sell it to them.
>>
>>28668747
>lax Russian security
Americans seriously believe their movies are reality.
>>
>>28672502
a canticle for leibowitz is also pretty good when it comes to post apocalyptic books
>>
>>28668260
This is the book that started the whole "after the end 22lr will become more valuable than money or gold" fudd stockpiling craze. fuck this book.
>>
>>28669145
You're only paranoid

until you're right.
>>
if an emp could actually do that much damage, it would be over. no point in survival. just go kill people you think will resort to extreme degeneracy until you get taken out yourself. try to give the people actually prepared a little help by taking out the trash.

we can only hope emp's and nukes are not real because the elite have fucked us into submission by making us so reliant on fragile infrastructure. we really need to start this civil war BEFORE the economy collapses or the grid is compromised. hopefully fema camps are actually real and all the degenerates get rounded up so we dont have to deal with them.
>>
>>28672651
The details change, but the US has options in place for strikes on a nations nuclear forces if the US believes that those forces are about to be lost.
>>
>>28673009
Am I the only one that actually hates the survivalist wank session style books?

>Dr. Mohammed M. Mohammed is a nuclear scientist with nukes and stuff at a secret government lab, when one day he gets a new assistant from Australia, whose pet kangaroo accidentally trips onto the nuclear launch button! Government breaks down, the economy crashes, oil prices rise, and other things like that we just copy-paste from Amazon pages about similar themes, and all seems lost! That is, unless retired Col. Steele Bronzeman, ex-Navy Delta Seal Ranger, who conspicuously carries a backpack full of MREs around with him at all times, can weld together a working .50-cal from his kid's braces and save the Western civilization in this idyllic cookie-cutter apple pie portion of America!

Would be better and more readable if the book was just about some average fuck who gets caught up in a bad situation at random and learns to survive by trial and error—or more realistically, by watching others around him fuck up and die in preventable ways.
>>
>>28673112
I'm looking forward to it desu. Ill be able to trade some of my stockpile for sex so I can finally lose my virginity.
>>
>>28673112
That was around a long time before this book was ever published. Hell, they only mention ammo a bit and it's that the smaller calibers were more useful in the long run (but .17hmr is also mentioned) since all the big game was killed quick. Which is how it went in the Great Depression.

But that idea was in books published long before it too.
>>
>>28673276
You'd love Collision Course by David Crawford then. The drunkard average Joe main character gets pulled to help out his neighbors and put down the bottle so that he can step up and do the things needing to be done. Meanwhile the other main character, a kommando with his bug-out ATV who's been waiting for shtf and to bug out to his stash, just fucks things up for everyone around him and himself as well. (He's not stated to browse /k/ but he'd fit perfectly among the friendless mall ninjas here.)

There's no epic battle at the end, there's no ex-Delta member saving the day, hell it doesn't even say what the shtf going on really is, just that things are getting expensive quick and people's ugly sides are coming out. The main protagonist isn't a survivalist nor does he have some rare amazing skill, he's just a poor white trailer-dwelling drunk who raises some tomatoes and knows how to do basic shooting and fixing of things.
>>
>>28668636
Proof of concept. It's like using a Chevy to test spike strip effectiveness. You can extrapolate that the spike strip will work on most car makes, until manufacturers add run-flat tires as standard equipment.
>>
>>28668673
North Korea, maybe. You can bet ISIS would give their collective left nut for the capability to do something like that. Figure that a disgruntled nuclear state provides ISIS with back channel tech support and maybe even a turn-key set up. Ideally, one that allows plausible deniability.

Figure a couple of Scuds, couple of EMP-optimized warheads, whatever telemetry/control gear is necessary, and load it all on some POS freighter. Sail into the Caribbean, unmask, launch, and collect 72 virgins.

Not very likely, but not impossible.
>>
>>28669145
It's a good way to get some insight into how the antigunners think.
>>
>>28672661
Team Yankee?
>>
>>28674572
>>28674572
Yeah North Korea is sane as heck despite what the media says. They are all about regime survival. If they could one-shot the US without nukes plastering them they'd probably do it but their typical threats are just so that they can followup by playing nice and asking for food aid.
>>
>>28674768
Yep.

Thanks anon
>>
Alright, after reading further into it, it does seem pretty unlikely. Kinda wish Oppenheimer would shed some light on this. Still, thanks for the peace of mind, /k/.
>>
>>28668260
Fuck off
>>
>>28669131
That book was just great. I expected it to be teen prose, but i was very adult. The game didnt even scratch the surface on this one.
>>
>>28675712
Just wish there were a good fucking translation of it.
>>
Decided to try it out for my free book. Pretty depressing so far, also had a Fallout 4ish opening where the protagonist is literally living in a Norman Rockwell painting.
>>
>>28669339
Just Louisville and Lexington. All the other counties have like 1 stoplight
>>
>>28672639
Kek

Really deserved some recognition.
>>
>>28668494
EMPS can harm electrical equipment that is not plugged in though. The electromagnetic wave will induce high voltages in equipment that is not intended to reach those values.
>>
>>28676621
If you think it's depressing to start, wait until you get a ways in. There was at least one scene that had me outright shedding tears.
>>
reminder that the EMP that a system receives is entirely dependent on the antenna length that it possesses, which is to say the total continuous length of wire connected to said electronics. most modern electronics don't have sufficient wiring to be hit by any meaningful pulse, which is why power grids are so badly affected.
your phone would be fine, and so would your car and your computer if it's not plugged in, since the total wiring length in them is usually well under a meter. power grids have miles and miles of conductive antenna to receive EM flux, and thus are the worst affected.
tl;dr most things would be fine
>>
>>28679172
Dogs?
>>
>>28668260
Nuclear war ? yes, around 2030, Israel will perform a false flag attack on Europe and maybe the eastern US coast. NATO and Russia will follow, misguided by the false provenance of the missiles. This is to get rid the old white occidental empire, suppress any Christianity left and go to global government backed with a gold based currency.
Consequences ? Bronze age for everyone. Why ? All grids are controlled and maintained with cost efficiency in mind : a single element can cause a failure. Every major function and nodes are in big cities. Logistical chains are stretched, just-in-time. This will get us to medieval times, but the problem is that all easy to get resources : iron, gold, minerals are already gone, without highly efficient industry it's impossible to get the left-overs.
>>
>>28679219
Worse.
>>
File: 1444512808676.jpg (384 KB, 811x1217) Image search: [Google]
1444512808676.jpg
384 KB, 811x1217
"As a scientist, I judge the nuclear winter theory to be sloppy piece of work, full of gaps and and unjustified assumptions. As a human being, I hope fervently that it is right... since I am a scientist dedicated to truth, I will criticize nuclear winter theory as harshly as I would criticize any other half-baked scientific theory."

- Freeman Dyson's book Infinite in All Directions

Nuclear winter is a concept touted by uneducated humanities majors. No one is willing to invest or properly model nuclear winter because no one wants to be responsible for proving it wrong. Its better for fags in urban environments if humanity believes nuclear winter is real.
>>
File: powergridsystem.jpg (48 KB, 580x490) Image search: [Google]
powergridsystem.jpg
48 KB, 580x490
>>28668427
But it wouldn't. An EMP that only affects an area the size of a city can shut down the power for half the country.
Like everything else, shot placement is critical.
>>
>>28679393
Understand most of these books are written by New Yorkers. When they say things like "nationwide EMP" understand that NYC is their entire world. NYC is their nation. William Forstchen was born right next to NYC.
>>
File: 20160123_113102.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160123_113102.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>28668469
It's funny that you say that, because I was cleaning out some boxes, and found an old Popular Mechanics magazine with this article.
I guess it's not really a matter of if, but when.
Pic 1 of 3
>>
File: 20160123_112528-1.jpg (3 MB, 1898x2634) Image search: [Google]
20160123_112528-1.jpg
3 MB, 1898x2634
>>28679408
That's the truth. Some people can't imagine a town that rolls up the sidewalks at night.
Pic 2 of 3
>>
File: 20160123_112541-1.jpg (3 MB, 1882x2657) Image search: [Google]
20160123_112541-1.jpg
3 MB, 1882x2657
Pic 3 of 3
>>
>>28679428
>>28679459
>>28679476
Sorry about the retard quality pics. I had to use my phone.
>>
>>28679485
it's still readable
thanks anon
>>
OPpie, did you ever get around to reading Lightning Falls? I've been wondering what your take on it was.
>>
>>28679485
Better than nothing. I remember reading that article years ago.
>>
Could happen OP.
>>
>>28672976
my main man
>>
File: Banemobile.jpg (44 KB, 625x342) Image search: [Google]
Banemobile.jpg
44 KB, 625x342
>>28668469
Why not just drive the stock exchange around in an armored truck?
>>
>>28679327
What could possibly be worse?

>>28679307
Fuck off, Alex Jones.
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.