[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/ do spaceships belong to the navy or the air force or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 13
File: UNSC_Spirit_of_Fire_28CFV-8829.png (788 KB, 1588x679) Image search: [Google]
UNSC_Spirit_of_Fire_28CFV-8829.png
788 KB, 1588x679
Hey /k/ do spaceships belong to the navy or the air force or its own separate branch? If so would it render the latter two obsolete?
>>
>>28661771
UNSC is a navy, with the land forces being called Marines.
>>
>>28661771
>Hey /k/ do spaceships belong to the navy or the air force or its own separate branch?
Its own branch.
> If so would it render the latter two obsolete?
I would imagine the two would conduct operations on other planets alongside earth, so no.
>>
>>28661771
Navy. They already dominate the Sea and Air. Why not give them the space ocean as well.
>>
it would probably be it's own branch and it's very doubtful that there would be anything but a small detachment of marines, it would probably have to be partly international so from a political stand point it couldn't have a very warlike front to it
>>
Spacy.
>>
>>28661771

I'm tired of you retards.
>>
>>28661771
If it wasn't too serious, it'd be the USAF, because they run the current DoD space ops. I think it'd only become it's own branch if it's operations went beyond the Earth, like if we had a force that had to dish out violence to rebels or something on the Moon or Mars.
>>
Airforce or whatever force controls space assets and nuclear weapons.
>>
File: 1428956192119.jpg (1 MB, 2779x1916) Image search: [Google]
1428956192119.jpg
1 MB, 2779x1916
there's no air in space so clearly the navy gets it
>>
>>28661875
as in I doubt there might ever be a military style space fleet
>>
>Be space marine.
>Spent 6 months travelling to Mars.
>Arrive to the destination.
>Break your legs after landing after so many months without gravity.
>>
File: 5.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
5.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>28661882
yes.
>>
Air force. Naval conventions dont belong in rocket science.
>>
A lot of astronauts were AF already, even more nowadays aren't too far off anyway. They already go to school for aerospace, with military experience and then some graduate work they would be solid MS candidates. Wouldn't be surprised to see an AF detachment on Luna/Mars at some point because of that. The only thing that would hold it back is politics.
>>
There won't be a space fleet in your lifetime. Space belongs to drones.
>>
>>28661793
That's partially correct, the primary ground force is the UNSC Army.
>>
File: Chief in spaaace.jpg (96 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Chief in spaaace.jpg
96 KB, 1920x1080
>>28661903
There's no water in space either.
>>
>>28662223
>hydrogen most common element in the universe
>oxygen is like the 6th or some shit
>comets are mostly ice
>asteroids have shitloads of ice
>Mars has loads of ice
>ice in the Jovian moons
>liquid water in the Jovian moons
>space is international waters

Go Navy

(The Air Force will naturally spread into orbit, then outer space, most likely)
>>
>>28662537
We're talking the vacuum of space, not planets and anomalies anon.
>>
>>28662650
>vacuum of space
>not knowing it's a near vacuum
go back to school
>>
File: USS George Hammond-02.jpg (181 KB, 1295x716) Image search: [Google]
USS George Hammond-02.jpg
181 KB, 1295x716
Air Force of course.
>>
>>28662758
>USS
>United States Ship
>Ship
>>
>>28662738

If it's not a perfect vacuum.... can turbines still work in space if they immensely compress whatever isn't vacuum?

It would be cool... have a turbine with two modes- atmospheric and space... fly up to low earth orbit, switch turbine modes so the turbines compress the fuck out of anything they can find, and once you've got a good speed you shut off the engine and cruise until you're at your destination or the engine radiates heat away.

What say you, /k/?
>>
>>28662650
So what your Space Force/Spacy is just gonna chill in interplanetary space? No Space Marines? No space colonies? No nuking from orbit?

Weak shit anon.
>>
>>28662782

You do realise that other branches of the armed forces other than the Navy have ships, don't you?
>>
>>28661771

Don't the Russians have a branch called Space Defense Forces or something?
>>
>>28662782
USSS
United States SpaceShip
USSC
United States SpaceCraft
USV
United States Vessel

Alternatively you could take the S to mean Ship or Spaceship depending on context, if you really wanted to keep the whole 'USS ____' thing.
>>
>>28662798
Yes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bussard_ramjet
>>
>>28662867
United States Space Coast Guard is a mouthful tho
>>
>>28662894
>Space Coast

Wat
>>
>>28662880
Vessel or ship sounds more substantial, a "craft" makes me think of a lil Apollo-style space dingy.
>>
File: spaceghost_0.jpg (24 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
spaceghost_0.jpg
24 KB, 640x430
>>28662916
You rang?
>>
>>28662798
If it was super massive? Sure. If not? ...sure? You would need practically infinite power. Assuming you were still using orbits, you could put yourself in an orbit around Earth and "burn" at periapsis, but since it takes too long to burn, you'll have to go through the orbit and burn again. You'll have to do this like 100 times before you get anywhere, and the orbits take longer and longer each time. It's pretty much exact reason why rockets are used, because you get a lot more thrust in a very short period of time.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 964x714) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 964x714
>>28662923
Makes sense.

>>28662943
And just who the hell are you?
>>
>>28662964

Understandable that chemical propellant would still be desirable for breaking out of gravity wells...

Anyways, remember you can reach pretty insane speeds in space.

Would the near lack of friction and exponential increase in speed make it any more viable in your mind?

Also, this >>28662891
>>
I legitimately think an organization that fires 5 years worth of people in the span of one, against literally all advice, should be in charge of anything larger than a base gate guard post. So I'm gonna go with Navy.
>>
>>28662943

Fuck I miss that show
>>
>>28663014
shouldn't*
>>
>>28663001
Anything that doesn't need fuel is the most viable option, IMO. It's why it was even worth considering. No gas stations in space.
>>
Navy.

You still refer to them as a "fleet" and by naval denominations (i.e. frigate, carrier, cruiser, etc). While in the future, there probably will be it's own branch, we've come to refer spacecraft with naval terms. Probably because operating a watercraft and flying in space are somewhat similar.
>>
>>28661771
I think it would be its own branch. With a space marine expeditionary force under its command. Then there would be a planetary militia. Which would have a proper navy, army and air force under its command.
>>
File: United States Space Force.png (725 KB, 1280x1295) Image search: [Google]
United States Space Force.png
725 KB, 1280x1295
>>28661771
Its own semi-independent branch, probably falling under the jurisdiction of the Office of the Navy.
>>
If it were me in charge, I'd go with a separate branch.

The arts of sailing and flying require their own separate branches, shouldn't spacefaring?
>>
>not using space as an opportunity to return the marine corps to its proper job as specialized naval infantry
we literally don't need an Army 2.0
>>
File: 61flPj9lR0L._SL1451_.jpg (98 KB, 1451x661) Image search: [Google]
61flPj9lR0L._SL1451_.jpg
98 KB, 1451x661
>not cosmo-navy

step it up
>>
File: image.jpg (315 KB, 773x1033) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
315 KB, 773x1033
>>28663593
Space Marines now!
>>
>>28662758
I never liked the early versions - horribly undergunned. Should have gone with a fucking spinal gun or something.
>>
Navy since the first American astronaut was a sailor.
>>
>>28663830
I agree, Spinal gun would've been better.
>>
>>28663830
Spinal gun you say?
>>
File: kramerica.gif (2 MB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
kramerica.gif
2 MB, 220x165
>>28663622
>not Kosmo Kramer

step it up
>>
I would assume the US would make another branch of the military, taking high ranking commanding officers from all branches, Navy Army and Air force. It makes the most sense, Air force would be better suited to piloting the ships as navy really only has to contend with 2D navigation, not 3d (disregard subs acquire F18's), the Navy are there to assist in ship to ship combat, especially sub commanders who understand 3D navigation warfare, and the Army makes up your drop troops and guardsman on board.

Of course, this is somebody with no fucking knowledge of military hierarchy or the way it really works, just some Ausfag thinking logically.
>>
>>28661997
It's even between the number of AF and Navy astronauts.
Navy astronauts have done all the coolest shit though.
>Al Shepherd
>John Glenn (Marine)
>Neil Armstrong
>Jim Lovell
>John Young
>>
>>28664096
I imagine the entire thing would fall under the jurisdiction of the Navy. Realistically the Airforce does not run worldwide patrols in their aircraft, are incredibly bound to airports etc.

I could see an AF base or the such on Luna or Mars but they would be more of the actual defense forces for either station.

As for actual patrol Operations the Navy and the Sub fleet have far more experience in 3d Warfare and have a training program that sets their personnel up for longterm isolation.

While Space Marines sound like a thing, I'm sure whats more likely to happen is the Raytheon Exoskeletons become part of issued equipment... or the Space Navy does what the regular Navy does and bombards the shit out of targets While we figure a way to get the Army where they need to go.
>>
>>28664125
> While we figure a way to get the Army where they need to go.

Rangers lead the way.
>>
>>28661771
Is there air or water in space?

Most things with spacecraft are closely related to aircraft so currently it falls under the air force. Also the secret purpose of NASA is to advance tech in the space travel field then adapt it over to weaponization.
>>
>>28664176
Except for the fact that the Navy has better logistics of Aircraft, has a culture established that would allow them to actually Patrol.

The AF may create technology but its the Navy who is actually using it.
>>
>>28661771
Navy.
>>28661967
Assuming we're talking about gigantic spacecraft then yes, absolutely naval conventions do belong in "rocket science." Something that large ceases operating like a strange aircraft and starts behaving like an actual ship and guess which branch has over two hundred years of experience operating those.

Though that said, I think in such an era of interplanetary (or interstellar) navy operations an airforce and army would be invaluable assets for planetary defense. Navies would be the mobile force-projection arm of the military just like they've always been, though instead of oceans it would be the vastness of space.
>>
Navy because it's the only branch of the military that the Constitution explicitly allows to exist during peacetime.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.