[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hand to hand combat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
File: boxing vs grappling.webm (3 MB, 360x640) Image search: [Google]
boxing vs grappling.webm
3 MB, 360x640
Has boxing ever been worth a damn in an actual combat situation? Most thrown downs in Iraq were grapples (with knives).
I understand it offers some nice fundamentals for an adult male. But you can get those same fundamentals from other fighting disciplines.
>>
If your desire is to kill, a few good punches is all it should take. Boxing teaches you to hit hard. Even Applegate said so.
>>
>>28647019
someone who has never fought
>>
File: sucker punch.webm (3 MB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
sucker punch.webm
3 MB, 480x272
What punches are good for. Striking when you opponent isn't ready. Outside of that

Otherwise go for something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYf1hg_jN-E
>>
>>28647035
completely true
>>
Who punches the chest first? The shorter male is dumb. Glad he died
>>
>>28646925
Boxing is great, if you actually land a solid blow and aren't in an enclosed area then boxing is fantastic for fighting

Wrestling and jiu jitsu are great for ground fighting and control.

Those three fighting styles are pretty much 100% of mma (sometimes kick boxing instead of boxing but same ideas)
>>
>>28647059
>Wrestling and jiu jitsu
Choose one or the other
Kickboxing is a must because 99% of males don't know how to fucking kick.
>>
>dat blood
Fuck, what happened to that kid?
>>
>>28647087
He lost. Who gives a fuck?
>kid
A teen is a grown ass man. A teen can take up arms. So it can die like a man too. Keep the "IT JUSS A KEED" bullshit on Facebook.
>>
>>28647087
probably burst an eardrum. i've seen it happen with any traumatic pressure change to ears.
>>
>>28646925

wtf is this a middle schooler fighting a senior?
>>
>>28647075
That's because kicking is generally useless, outside of the controlled ring of mma, kicks are slow, use a lot of energy and weaken your stance.

Hell even in mma those leg kicks are only effective if you manage to get to the third round
>>
>>28647129
yeah, you're right, legs kicks are useless. That's why Inoki got creamed by Ali in '76.
>>
>>28647129
have you ever been kicked to the inside of the knee? I thought I was never going to walk properly ever again, but I get your point.
>>
>>28647129
High kicks yes, low kicks no.
>>
>>28647058
If you can hit hard, right below where the ribcage meets is a perfect spot to punch. Getting the wind knocked out of you will make you lose a fight.
>>
>has it ever been useful to know how to punch someone or learn to take a hit

Gee I wonder
>>
lol nastiest thing i ever saw in my whole life was when a nigger at the bar i was at with my buddy cupped his hand and smacked the bartender right in the ear when he got in his face.

The dude bled like a horse at slaughter it was insane
>>
>>28647173
>Ali thinks it's an exhibition/show
>shows up
>inoki being a faggot
>lays on his back and kicks at Ali for while to keep separation/Ali from running his skull
>somehow thinks this is victory

>>28647180
I have been, it sucks but it's also very rare to actually hit the back of the knee and more likely to hit the lower thigh

>>28647205
Even low kicks, by definition you're removing a foot from the ground reducing your balance, there only kicks that serve a purpose would be a kind of flat footed midsection kick to create separation from somebody you can't grapple with. And even then this can be done better with proper boxing

Never underestimate a week timed kick in the balls though. Street fights are life and death nothing is off limits
>>
>>28647420
I was referencing the fight to show that you can do damage with low kicks. If both parties know how to guard against kicks I'll admit that its just better to box and grapple, but its one of those things MMA fighters have to train against for a reason.
>>
>>28647058
technically the correct punch

you want to hit the kidneys, or break the floating ribs

but if you can't hit hard enough it's a worthless attack, better to poke the eyes at that point
>>
>>28647041
>Beast Mode shirt

What a faggot
>>
>>28647420
>Never underestimate a week timed kick in the balls though

keith richards (yes, the guitarist) was kind of a hood back in the 70s, having to deal with shady drug dealers and such

he wrote in his book about carrying knives and guns, though he referred to them as "the blade" and "the shooter" kek

according to keef, the trick with the blade is to wave it around to distract the guy while you kick him in the nuts
>>
>>28647041
Kek that kid was surprised af when he knocked the other kids on his ass
>>
>>28646925

If i learned anything from my self defense classes and working at the prison best way to do it is grab the wrist/arm , pop it ontop of your shoulder , pull them close and stand up. Pops their shoulder , or just jab to the throat/jaw/armpit/sternum.

Also elbows are better than fists. If you can't grapple low to get ontop of them and unleash elbows then arm breaks and wrist breaks are your best bet.
>>
>>28647420
Honestly I think kicking in the balls is really overrated.

I dont really feel anything like that when I am actually in a fight. Its sort of like that is going to hurt later once I have stopped fighting.
>>
>>28646925
Propper boxing technique and light sparring / grappling practice is easy enough to learn and will prepare you for 99% of confrontation you encounter as an adult male.

Fighting is stupid and you should always try to deescalate the situation but if you can't 99% of fights are over after two or three shoulder and for head punches and some rolling around on the ground.

If you know what your doing its really easy to anticipate an opponent and after they swing and miss / you catch or deflect a fist they are pretty embarrassed and give you a funk you man better not see you around here again your lucky your with your friends yadda yadda and the fight is over.

Bottom line learn how to fight and then proceed to never fight outside of your gym
>>
>>28647108
no need to go on a rant m8
>>
>>28647108
Your underage is showing
>>
>>28647041
>beast mode
He was walking like some kind of beast by the end of that clip
>>
>>28647527
>kidneys
The liver, love. Kidneys are in the back
>>
a trained muay thai fighter will destroy anyone not trained on their feet. just like a grappler or jiu-jitsuist will destroy anyone on the ground. a guy with a weapon or shank could destroy either with no training whatsoever. a guy with a gun can take out all of them. it's really a question of what tool you have what your best option is in the combat scenario. I practice all four options a little bit every day to stay sharp.
>>
>>28646925

BAH GAWD HE JUST KILLED HIM!
>>
>>28647768
You're exaggerating. Melee weapons aren't that big of a multiplier especially when untrained, and a dumb guy with a gun can still get his ass handed to him (if he gets too close)
>>
File: 1430105034929.jpg (24 KB, 308x331) Image search: [Google]
1430105034929.jpg
24 KB, 308x331
>>28647851
>Melee weapons aren't that big of a multiplier
>>
File: 1395587927186.jpg (18 KB, 457x260) Image search: [Google]
1395587927186.jpg
18 KB, 457x260
I've heard from more than a few people that a combo of boxing (for strikes) + judo/BJJ (for grapples) will be a solid enough toolkit to handle >90% of dudes. Not MMA tier, but leagues above almost everyone.

Krav Maga is solid shit also.
>>
>>28647928

Not to the effect that a completely untrained person can beat a skilled fighter, no.
>>
>>28647951
I've heard "boxing plus Gracie" as well

It seems to make sense, don't have enough experience to say how well it works outside of training/practice fights
>>
>>28647058
He died for real
>>
>>28647951
Basically this. I would recommend Muay Thai over boxing, which is too one-sided and forgoes knees and elbows in particular and Judo over BJJ because the focus is on staying on your feet (completely different for BJJ). Maga teaches a lot of good miscallaneous techniques, mindset and disarms that will come handy, and valuable scenario training.
>>
>>28647970
i don't think you understand how near impossible it is to defend against someone trained or otherwise frantically stabbing at you with determination, or how easy it is to completely overwhelm someone by frantically stabbing them over and over again

people won't hold the knife still for you to 360 spin kick it out of their hand
>>
>>28648092
It is similarly hard for people to get close to you to stab you if you're doing your job right and using reach.
>>
>mugger with knife
>grapple him and throw him in dumpster
>only slight cuts on my arms

he was a retard though.
>>
>>28648126
>use reach
>get tendon in arm/hand sliced
What now smart guy?
>>
>>28648195
If this is true you're lucky you walked away with only slight cuts. 9/10 times that won't be the case
>>
>>28648195
Unarmed grappling seems a very different affair than grappling vs someone with a knife. A lot of standard grapples that would normally prevent a person from striking you too seriously wouldn't stop someone from stabbing or cutting you.
>>
>>28648353
>be untrained
>try to slice
>get knocked out
What now, street thug?
>>
File: trout.jpg (20 KB, 436x432) Image search: [Google]
trout.jpg
20 KB, 436x432
>>28648411
>it's hard to cut something
>>
>>28648366
>>28648404
allow me to elaborate

slight cuts means i didnt require stitches, didnt go to ER but could tell (not too deep but still nasty looking)

i had to be bandaged to stop the bleeding.

mugger was tweaky old man with douchbag sunglasses
>>
>>28648441
When you're unconcious, yeah
>>
File: ITG_quarterly.jpg (95 KB, 440x634) Image search: [Google]
ITG_quarterly.jpg
95 KB, 440x634
>>28648485
>not getting cut before you land a blow
>>
>>28648411
Do you think this is a movie where the good guy always wins? If you're ever confronted by a someone with a knife, go ahead and tell us how you took out your attacker unscathed
>>
>>28648092
This DESU senpai. I've done Judo and Kenpo, both instructors stressed not to even try to take on someone with a knife.
>>
>>28648526
Who the fuck said anything about being unscathed? You're going to take hits regardless of who you fight, barring extraordinary luck, regardless of whether your opponent has a weapon. But you aren't going to lose outright against an unskilled opponent.
>>
>>28648753
See this >>28648495
>>
>>28646925
Manlet got tossed.
>>
File: 21 foot rule.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
21 foot rule.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>28647970
A fucking caveman can use a knife effectively, have fun getting stabbed to death you dumb faggot.
>>
>>28647041
>he's 6'2" omg I feel so safe with him <3_<3
>>
File: 1452533414068.png (200 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1452533414068.png
200 KB, 2000x1333
>>28647019
Wow.. what a stupid post. Is that you Straya?
>>
>>28650318
>>28648753
The anon was trying to imply that he would just knock out someone with a knife before he got cut, which is basically laughable because all they have to do is flail to get a cut in and the more than hit, the more that will.
>>
>>28648012
No he didnt. Stop lying fag.
>>
>>28650967
>tfw i was with my buddys gf one night after the bars close

>walking home with her

>next day buddy is pissed she was walking home so late

>her: OMG what did you think would happen? I was with Anon!

>tfw unintentionally cucked my buddy
>>
>>28648092
if someone pulls a knife run till you find a long stick. For the most part reach is king.
>>
>>28647041
i love how at the end tony hawk comes in to calm things down.
>>
>>28646925
You know that dude was trying to fight because he thought the white kid was an easy target. In high school I always had black kids try to fight me since I'm a giant white and would just BTFO them
>>
>>28647087
>>28647108
I mean he does look like the one who instigated the fight so I truly believe he had what was coming to him.
>>
>>28646925
Hitting hard is useful, OP.
>>
>>28646925
Also, those Hawaiian kids would fuck your shit up.
>>
>>28646925
Trained kickboxing and am now doing kali escrima. Most of the weapons drills we do involve getting the fuck away as soon as possible as unharmed as possible. People sometimes shit talk kali and weapons based stuff but I think it's useful to know.

Also I think it's cool.

Really though, I've never been in a fight I *had* to be in. Any time it happened I could have run or backed out. I was just being a retard and trying to prove something. Fighting is probably best avoided since it never goes the way you think it will and even if you win it's not like you won't get hurt somewhat.
>>
>>28647058

If you're not experienced in fighting, a good punch to the chest can do it.knock the wind out of you, can fuck up some ribs, less chance of breaking your own fist.
>>
>>28647970
literally born in 2002 and never been in a fight or stabbed; the post

someone close to you with a knife WILL tag you and when you get cut open you panic like a mother fucker and if you get more cut open you flat out start to shit. I don't care how Steven segal you or these mall ninjas you listen to think they are this is the truth
>>
ITT people who know jack shit about fighting telling people who train to fight their skills are useless.
>Is this what they call day/k/are?
>>
>>28654098
You bumped this thread for what reason, enlistedfag?
>>
>>28647035
Someone who has never fought
>>
>>28647054
someone who has never fought
>>
>>28654098
>Melee combat
>Anything but a desperate hail mary move when you're getting shit on

Choose one. That's just objective fact, sorry Hollywood lied to you. In real life, skinny knife guy > world class martial artist 100% of the time with the only exceptions occurring when knife guys are bluffing and not truly prepared to kill someone. If the guy wants to stab you, you're getting stabbed.
>>
>>28651022
And that other faggot was saying that you'll get your tendons cut if you even try to fight.
>>
>>28655440
>this

Of course there are occasionally exceptions for speed and outright luck, but it's such a small number as to almost be inconsequential. Most of this "defend yourself against an armed assailant" shit is designed to prevent you from freezing up and getting killed anyway.

I had a conversation with a MCMAP instructor once and I was talking about with a knife it was easy to more or less counter any kind of move just out of human pain response and hypovolemia and he basically said, "We're basically just wanting to make sure if the situation occurs our guys are willing to try to take the enemy with them."
>>
File: free shrugs.jpg (103 KB, 500x715) Image search: [Google]
free shrugs.jpg
103 KB, 500x715
If you're serious about being proficient in hand to hand combat, you SHOULD be skilled in both standup fighting and grappling.

That being said, if I only had the choice to be proficient in one, i'd go with grappling.
>>
>>28646925
Pro tip: learn boxing and grappling

boxing teaches you to hit and not be hit, give each person a knife it is still relevant
>>
>>28646925
Iraqi throw downs are not everyone's typical combat situation.
>>
>>28648551
>judo and kenpo
Please. At least do something real like MT, boxing, BJJ, or wrestling and then say that.
>>
>>28656071
>BJJ
>le meme martial art
>>
>>28656086
Find me something better then, buddy. Unless you live in fucking Russia or some shit it's the best grappling art that you can actually find good instruction in.
>>
File: 3673910784_4895fa7e9e_o.jpg (58 KB, 477x700) Image search: [Google]
3673910784_4895fa7e9e_o.jpg
58 KB, 477x700
>>28656109
>>
>>28656145
He has a point. BJJ has good representation in the states, with well known fighters backing up dozens of BJJ schools.

No Russian art has that.
>>
>>28656086
>meme
Explain
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.