[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Knife self defense
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 17
So, I'm french and want a weapon to defend myself because I will be working in a bad part of town, right next to germany and right now it's not really as safe as before.
France's gun laws aren't that bad but it would take a really long time for me to have a permit. Knives aren't really regulated so I have access to virtually any knife type.
What's the best kind of knife for self-defense in urban area /k/ ?
>pic unrelated, I typed knife in google
>>
The type of knife that feels good in your hand Frenchy. Something with a sharp edge and easily accessible yet concealable.

With that said, one of my go to knives for not only self defense but everything else is the RAT 1 Ontario foldable. Sharp Aus 6 blade, sturdy handle and was only $20 US so when I loose it I don't really feel all that bad.
>>
File: maxresdefault-5.jpg (317 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-5.jpg
317 KB, 1920x1080
>>28641395
Yeah man the rat one is a badass knife.has an bitchin axis lock and full flat grind.
>>
File: Ontario M3.jpg (44 KB, 577x215) Image search: [Google]
Ontario M3.jpg
44 KB, 577x215
There are already 2 knife threads up frogfag.

>Knives aren't really regulated

You need to be more specific, the devil's in the details. Are there length restrictions, or perhaps restrictions on double-edged blades? Can you carry the knife openly or will it have to be concealed?

What's your budget?
>>
You win knife fights by putting lots of holes in in someone in a short amount of time. Get a folding karambit like one of those fake Warren Thomas ones on Ebay, wave it. Put that in whichever pocket you want, then you should get some kind of waved tanto or daggar to put in the opposite pocket, maybe something like a Voyager, Rajah, Espada, or Spartan. Another alternative is buy a Dirk or F-S type daggar and carry that. Check your knife laws.
>>
>>28641475
Oh and dont forget a punch daggar.
>>
if you know how to fight, a knife is little better than a pen or any common item minus its literal deadliness. if you dont know how to fight, you should choose something that is more effective for scaring people off than actual combat, which little knives dont do
>>
filed down flat head screwdriver
>>
>>28641291
>Knives aren't really regulated
Dude, officially carrying a knife is forbidden. If a cop sees it he can very well take it from you, and given the current state of things with the emergency state it could be a lot more trouble.

Then again, a lot of people carry an Opinel or Swiss army knife all their life with no trouble, but a dedicated fighting knife like the one in your pic? That's asking for trouble if you have to use it.
Anyway there are no clear rules, so if a cop is on a bad mood or thinks you're shifty he can give you shit even for a one inch keychain knife.
If he just happens to like your knife he can take it and you have little to no recourse.

Not being an Arab helps with never getting controlled. But after the Paris attacks everyone is suspecting everyone and you frequently have to open up your bag or even your coat when going into stores and such.

So first, carry something non threatening like a traditional knife so if you're ever found with it you can say you have it for cutting saucisson. The Opinel comes in all shapes and sizes and can be locked open, and you can't get anymore traditional.

And second carry something cheap so if you ever have to stick someone with it you can abandon it or destroy it and GTFO.
>>
File: 1445033261681.jpg (9 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1445033261681.jpg
9 KB, 255x255
>>28641516
>>
>>28641291
>I'm going to use a self defense weapon that puts me within arms length of my attacker
What a ridiculous plan.
Your best bet is to do what the French are best known for and run away. That isn't a joke. There is no reason for you to stay and try and duke it out with your attacker.
>>
>>28641291
Get a knife and get started on that gun permit, OP. The only way to start chipping away at that "really long time" is to file the paperwork.
>>
>>28641475

>folding karambit
>good for anything other than impressing your shithead friends at airsoft

Being a martial arts faggot and having done a lot of knife drill I have learnt several things:

>you will get cut, a lot
>you will probably get stabbed
>you will almost certainly live longer by running away
>technique and training account for 99% of your ability to survive, your weapon and luck accounts for the rest

Get a taser instead
>>
>>28641291
>What's the best kind of knife for self-defense in urban area /k/ ?

Something with reach, like a machete. You aren't going to carry a machete around town, so look for something else with good reach.

The danger with a knife is that you won't be able to carry a very long one. You need a good reason for that knife according to French laws, so a small slipjoint knife should be okay if you can justify it. Trouble is that it won't be much good for self-defense.

Carry a cane. Carry an unbreakable umbrella (pic related). Put a heavy jar in a plastic bag. Fill an aluminum water bottle and put a lanyard on it. The extra reach will make a big difference. At night, carry a flashlight with a strobe option.
>>
>>28641577
Honestly this. Even if you were conceal carrying a full auto MAC 10, situational awareness and knowing when to go away will get you out of most situations.

Watching your back and staying away from groups of young thugs goes a long way.
>>
always run away from a knife fight. that being said I am a big fan of the ka-bar tdi series for self-defense. you don't need a large or expensive knife for edc but you do need super fast draw speed. I use horizontal back belt carry and sometimes a secondary on right hip both in kydex sheaths. in nearly all cases I would prefer to use knives last in self-defense situation if I was unarmed. I would prefer 1) pepper spray first, 2) hammer second, 3) knife. the main reason being is that knives have the possibility of cutting both ways and getting blood on you is evidence that is difficult or impossible to conceal on the street. whereas a hammer will likely stop an attacker cold and can be thrown away without fear of losing something valuable.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 640x960
Double bladed boot knife on your belt sai. Really any knife will do it more knowing what your doing with it.
>>
>>28641568
for example this guy should just run
>>
>>28641671

same poster: I forgot, you need to train with your carry knife regularily, preferably 10 minutes a day, once or twice a day. practice the draw and stabbing motions. it will still take months or years to become safe and effective with blades so start today, even a kitchen knife is good to start with. start wearing strong lightweight boots and thicker clothes to help deflect the pain of impacts too. also try to wear cut resistant gloves while on the move, the first things you will use to defend yourself are your hands and against other blade wielding attackers the first things that will get hit by enemies.
>>
>>28641682

too fucking slow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZivRcSnPyw
>>
>>28641695
I certainly hope this isn't criticism from the man who thinks a knife is no different than a pen.
>>
>>28641711
Are you stupid?i could bet any out of money I could put my boot kinfe out quicker then you with even a spring assist. Maybe,actually learn? What your talking about you massive faggot.
>but some fsggot told me on YouTube!!
>>
>>28641416
Not the rat one you faggot. Don't care if that was b8 I couldn't stand to see someone that wrong.
>>
>>28641722
dont look back
>>
>>28641722
you can write your boyfriends name on your leg with a pen or a knife.
>>
>>28641740

the laws of physics, speed, and range of motion shows you 1000% wrong and likely to get OP killed in a real attack essp. with adrenaline pumping and only gross motor skill movements.
>>
>>28641291
>Brady knife for self defense

There is none

Get mace or a taser, and take some boxing lessons or something
>>
File: 1445032261731.jpg (15 KB, 372x372) Image search: [Google]
1445032261731.jpg
15 KB, 372x372
>>28641760
>>28641775
>>
>>28641291
if you're REALLY into the idea of getting a solid knife, the best "modern" knife on the market would have to be a dive knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_NC-_fvKs

It's more expensive than your conventional knife, but I would say it would be pretty worth it in a stab-off
>>
>>28641829
back to cowwadoody
>>
>>28641516
>you should choose something that is more effective for scaring people off than actual combat

Just like you should get a pump action and rack it to scare the bad guys away.
>>
>>28641291
French laws don't recognise self defense using any kind of weapon but pepper spray you fag got.
Youmust must use "equal force"
>>
>>28641460
>>28641460
French laws state that knives are weapons. Case studies show that only blades that don't lock open are tolerated.

French fun owner and knife collector here.
>>
>>28641291
Hey OP, what city? Are you from Alsace?
Your best bet in my opinion is a taser and good shoes to gtfo after you dropped the motherfucker.
>>
>>28641792
Watch more YouTube little boy.
>>
File: 1453063037566.jpg (143 KB, 805x743) Image search: [Google]
1453063037566.jpg
143 KB, 805x743
>>28641884
>Case studies show that only blades that don't lock open are tolerated.

Well that sucks. I guess OP's gonna have to carry illegally if he wants a proper blade.

Maybe he ought to go with one of those zombie blades all the chavs are raving about.
>>
>>28641865
that is not comparable, but point for trying i guess
>>
>>28641950
>Using a weapon for intimidation is not comparable to using a weapon for intimidation

While you're explaining that you may as well go ahead and explain what "literal deadliness" is and why it apparently shouldn't be a metric when measuring the effectiveness of a weapon.
>>
>>28641516

a deadly weapon is a deadly weapon. how do you expect the average height 5'5 130 lbs eurofag to scare off a mob of syrians that is in his country after trekking on foot a thousand miles from a war zone they survived in for up to 5 years? a pretty smile?
>>
>>28641947
Even knowing this, I do carry a mini grip daily

Fixed blades are a no no too
>>
>>28642041
this isnt a video game. you arent silently walking up behind someone a slashing their throat then walking back into the shadows. all the motions of a knife fight can be mimicked with another studded weapon, minus any actual killing maneuvers. in combat there is deter/hurt, maim, kill, and a knife only comes into play at kill, when you can end a fight at both hurt and maim as well.

and any with martial arts experience would collude; if you have confidence in your ability, the actual weapon in your hand makes little difference. so yes i have no issue advocating carrying a strong pen for self defense, as if you know how to use a knife, the knife itself becomes unnecessary, and if anything the knife endangers yourself more than your opponent.

i would go into the intricacies of cqc with a blade but i dont think you would get it if you dont already have experience, but anything bigger than a 2" boot knife is unnecessary for combat, and the only reason you are using a boot knife over a pen is that providence requests preparedness, and you use the tool for the job. in the case of an experienced civilian combatant, the tool for the job of EDC can be a pen yes, while of course you still carry a blade

pens also have the benefit of being able to be left in your shirts breast pocket which is right next to your guard. a flashlight is also an excellent weapon for edc
>>
File: 1452671151273.jpg (51 KB, 600x656) Image search: [Google]
1452671151273.jpg
51 KB, 600x656
>>28642144
>this isnt a video game

No shit, that's why I think the bullshit you're spewing is hilarious.

>i would go into the intricacies of cqc with a blade but i dont think you would get it

Probably not, I'm not really into MGS.
>>
>>28642240
implying i would know what mgs was without google
>>
>>28642251
You're the one talking about CQC and stalking around in the shadows.
>>
>>28642270
cqc being a martial arts reference so. hurt,maim,kill also being a martial arts reference. like i said, its because you wouldnt know what i was talking about that i wouldnt expand
>>
File: 1445025183675.png (296 KB, 498x337) Image search: [Google]
1445025183675.png
296 KB, 498x337
>>28642295
>I don't know what I'm talking about, so I'll drop words I've seen on the internet and say you wouldn't understand what I'm talking about if I explained myself
>>
>>28642339
ok goy good luck with your karambits
>>
My biggest worry with having a knife on me is having it used against me. At least with something like brass knuckles (very fucking illegal everywhere) they are much more difficult to have them taken off you in a fight.
>>
File: 1445720538513.jpg (47 KB, 283x323) Image search: [Google]
1445720538513.jpg
47 KB, 283x323
>>28642354
>Good luck with this thing you never mentioned

Oooh, scathing. Good luck getting called on all the dumb shit you'll undoubtedly say in the future.
>>
>>28642372
are you getting these photos from a folder on your computer or are you downloading them as you use them? and how do they have seemingly random names? how much time does something like that take
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>28641291
Postin' muh new knife I got yesterday
>>
File: 1452943350095.jpg (26 KB, 457x480) Image search: [Google]
1452943350095.jpg
26 KB, 457x480
>>28642401
>are you getting these photos from a folder on your computer
>how do they have seemingly random names?
>>
>>28642438
if you didnt get it i was mocking you for being on /k, a site for more outdoors activities, but spending apparently much of your time on the computer, which i assume is not outside
>>
File: 1895891689.jpg (17 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1895891689.jpg
17 KB, 500x333
Having just a knife and swinging around into a group of arabs is not a good idea.

I'd recommend a machete, around 18''. You can keep it concealed in your backpack if you have one or you can find another way to keep it hidden.

Good for intimidation and keeping your distance, so instead of getting into knife stabbing range you can keep them further away from you with that.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 570x415) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 570x415
>>28642144
Bullshit. It's a hell of a lot easier to incapacitate and damage tendons and muscles with a knife then a pen. Also, blood loss, the second you pierce a carotid it puts a countdown clock on how long they stay in the fight and takes one of there arms if they don't want to go down in less then a minute.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>28642620
make it more obvious that you dont know what you are talking about
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 1171x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 1171x540
>>28642638
Good job forwarding no actual criticism. I'd love to hear you explain how you would go about severing tendons with a pen, or how your just such a bad dud you can overcome pesky things like major blood loss. Go to any MD who's done an ER rotation and ask them about what injuries they've seen and what are more difficult to treat and recover from. Of course I've probably just taken the bait.
>>
>>28642497
If you didn't get it I was mocking you for being retarded.
>>
>>28642781
severing tendons isnt a metric of use you call of duty faggot. neither is the point of combat to impress ER doctors. you just made up some shitty parables to red herring your shitty stance. either way it doesnt matter what you as an individual carry, because im positive you are fucked either way. blink twice
>>
>>28643269
>The ability to cut things isn't a metric of use
>>
>>28643269
Yes I'm the cod faggot mister maim someone with a pen. You are right about the pint of combat not to impress doctors, however their profession does give them a bit of insight into human physiology and the aftermath of knife fights, something a man of even your limited intelligence should be able to understand.

>you just made up some shitty parables to red herring your shitty stance.

This right here is the real kicker. At no point did I introduce anything not pertaining to the use of knives as a means of self defense. But shouting logical fallacy is easier than coming up with actual arguments isn't it?
>>
>>28643564
>I'd love to hear you explain how you would go about severing tendons with a pen
>uh oh he saw my fallacy so ill just arbitrarily call him fallacious to look relevant
>>
>>28643564
id love to hear you explain how you reupholstered your car seats with an umbrella
>>
>>28643606
>all the motions of a knife fight can be mimicked with another studded weapon, minus any actual killing maneuvers. in combat there is deter/hurt, maim, kill, and a knife only comes into play at kill, when you can end a fight at both hurt and maim as well.

>and any with martial arts experience would collude; if you have confidence in your ability, the actual weapon in your hand makes little difference. so yes i have no issue advocating carrying a strong pen for self defense, as if you know how to use a knife, the knife itself becomes unnecessary

I would like you to explain how you would sever tendons with a pen, because if
>all the motions of a knife fight can be mimicked with another studded weapon
I would like to know how you'd go about mimicking the deep cut.
You made the claim, I called you out on it, you shout fallacy.
>>
>>28643621
if you have confidence in your ability, the actual tool in your hand makes little difference.
>>
>>28643658
oh i see, yes many motions cannot be mimicked, like using a reverse grip to wristlock your opponent with the blade is (not immediately) lethal with a blade where with a stud like a pen its only a simple wrist lock that needs some other takedown to complement it. all being said there are no real times you are trying to cut somebodies tendons. and really the only point you made was to prove that a knife has an edge and pens dont, and edges can cut things, which is obvious and was already considered in my response. if you are inexperienced, your ability to cut and puncture are both irrelevant, and if you are experienced your ability to either cut and puncture and only puncture makes very little difference, as the deciding factor will always be your martial ability. flailing a blade around is not combat, but deterrence, and if deterrence is your goal, you should use a blade that is deterring.

i am obviously not advocating against the blade. a knife is the first (second) thing on your person at all times. but you do not carry a knife expecting to use it in combat, and you should not too quickly prefer it over other considerations.
>>
>>28643677
this is what ive been saying almost verbatim. which leads me to think you are mocking me but i cant be sure. he was trying to debunk the use of a pen or etc by saying how could pens cut tendons, which is both facetious and redirecting, as nobody claimed they could
>>
>>28643739
Fair enough. I'll agree that experience, training, and critical thinking are more important than weapon choice. And I would rank firearms, batons, and tasers above blades. Yet I have to disagree about the ability to cut and puncture making little difference. Adrenaline can overcome a lot, but it cannot overcome damage to the parts f the body responsible for locomotion. My belief is that it is much simpler to render a body unable to continue a fight through the use of a blade as opposed to a self defense pen.
>>
>>28643770
>i cant be sure

Because you're literally autistic.
>>
>>28644247
its autistic for a man to not detect sarcasm, but not for a man to be sarcastic. ill leave sarcasm to the bitches
>>
>>28644271
Man you are one autistic bitch
>>
>>28644409
lel trolling on /k/ i idolize you
>>
>>28641291
How are the laws in France?

I know here in Germany hurting them a bit while just having a knife with me will lead to worse punishments than crippling or killing them while being unarmed (assuming they attacked me first and it wasn't just a slap in the face).
>>
>>28644463
>i idolize you

You should. Maybe with a decent role model you'll learn not to talk out of your ass.

>>28644541
>How are the laws in France?

Pretty bad according to some frogs ITT. No locking blades and all that, apparently OP didn't do his homework.
>>
>>28644614
faggot
>>
File: 1452503975633.png (944 KB, 642x952) Image search: [Google]
1452503975633.png
944 KB, 642x952
>>28644639
Creative.
>>
>>28644663
they called classics for a reason
>>
>>28644680
So is it safe to assume you're never going to get around to explaining "literal deadliness"?
>>
>>28644541

Not that bad (as opposed to some other euro countries), but it is worst that in the past, and it will be worst in the future. Our gouvernment jump on every occasion to have stricter laws, even when this has nothing to do with legal possession of firearms, plus the European Union pushing for for a ban...
And same goes for knives, any self defense tools like baton, pepper spay... even martial arts/self defense sports.
Same also for self defense laws, who used to be pretty liberal, and is more and more strict every year (in the actual law, and it's interpretation by judges aka "jurisprudence" (precedent)).
Funny thing is, in the original declaration of the rights of man and of the citizen, there was an article 10, somewhat equivalent to the 2nd amendment.

"Every citizen has the right to have at his home(with him) weapons and to use(get) it, either for the common defense, or for his own defense, against any illegal aggression which would put in danger the life, the members or the freedom of one or several citizens"

The right for every citizen to possess arms was a human right. In the end, they did not use this article cause it was "too obvious" and no one would ever think the opposite...

Guess they were wrong.
>>
>>28641475
Fucking cold steel shill. Be gone with you.
>>
File: 1446574383154.jpg (14 KB, 387x336) Image search: [Google]
1446574383154.jpg
14 KB, 387x336
>>28642144
>if you know how to use a knife, the knife itself becomes unnecessary, and if anything the knife endangers yourself more than your opponent
>i would go into the intricacies of cqc with a blade but i dont think you would get it if you dont already have experience
>anything bigger than a 2" boot knife is unnecessary for combat
>>
>>28646763
if you pull a blade on someone and arent prepared or dont know how to use it, youve increased the threat to yourself
>>
>>28646783
How many people are stabbed with their own knives every year?
>>
>>28641291
Cold Steel Espada XL
they call it pocket sword for a reason

https://youtu.be/4OO9gHsscyc?t=4m53s
>>
Didn't read the thread.

For a defensive knife, you want something between 9-12" long. Thrusts are generally more effective than cuts, but they're harder to do under stress without training.

To that end, I suggest a kukri or a bowie knife.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.