[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The government could subsidize smart guns to make them more attractive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9
File: SmartSystem_iP1-Pistole_2.jpg (37 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
SmartSystem_iP1-Pistole_2.jpg
37 KB, 1280x960
The government could subsidize smart guns to make them more attractive than conventional firearms like they do with no-emission vehicles.

Why don't they?
>>
>>28628404
Because they're a bunch of gun grabbers and would rather see a total ban

Besides, I'm sure even they realise how retarded the idea of smart guns are.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 230x250
>hackable
>unreliable

Gee, I fucking wonder why Anon?
>>
you remember the last time there was a smart gun? yeah, it wasn't very smart, it didn't work well at all, and no one wanted to buy it. the NRA didn't release their review of it before the company effectively went defunct because it was so bad they didn't want to be accused of writing a hit piece.
>>
>>28628404
Good idea, since they're so safe and the police are always on about "officer safety" I say they subsidize them to police departments around the country.
>>
>>28628428
>"hackable"

It's a passive RFID. You don't have to 'hack' anything. You'd just need to clone the RFID to unlock the weapon.

>>28628404
Mostly for the same reason they don't order huge number of them for federal agents to drive down the price.

They are complete trash, and even if they worked aren't a very good idea. Weapons are best when simple and reliable. Needing to wear an ugly bracelet that might work 19 times out of 20 isn't anywhere near good enough.
>>
>US Government literally paying for private citizens to have guns
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
File: image.jpg (163 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163 KB, 1280x720
>>28628459
Holy fucking shit m8 this gun sounds like it will stop all da crime.
>>
>>28628404
I'll use one when they are reliable enough that the presidents body guards arm themselves with them.

I mean, someone could take the gun from them and use it! They need this technology too!
>>
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 757x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 757x960
>>28628491
I'm fucking dying
>>
Technology aside, I like the sleek design of the (rendered?) pistol. Like it would be the next step in James Bond palm-print tech. Funnily he ditched it for a good ol "analog" gun so....
>>
>>28628463
Well, operation Gotta go Fast gave guns to the cartels. It's about time the us government put the aw abiding citizen first
>>
>>28628404
I sure as hell won't mind an AI mounted in my gun [spoiler]so I have someone to talk to[/spoiler]

Locking my gun with ID chips is pointless if I don't leave it lying around for nigs to nog or kids to blow their faces off like a typically irresponsible person
>>
>>28628638
>be bond
>james bond
>locate target
>quietly sneak up
>level weapon to back of target's head
>smart gun led flashing red
>forgot to charge it last night before bed
>fuck
>mission abort
>>
>>28628437
Also, assuming I'm thinking of the same attempt, it was .22LR cause they couldn't shock-proof against anything more powerful, and it failed to feed all the time.
>>
What would a "smart gun" system realistically accomplish that can't already be accomplished by safes and trigger locks? Answer me that please.
>>
>>28628834
(And no, if a thief is allowed for the sake of argument to open the safe or pick the trigger lock, he's able to get around the smart gun eletronics too.)
>>
>>28628838
You're asking how smart gun technology would help and asking us to assume that it doesn't
>>
>>28628834
Well, if you're an idiot and leave your smart gun just laying around, it'd stop your retarded kid from shooting himself with it.
>>
>>28628806

He had a smart gun in Skyfall. Though it literally gets thrown away.
>>
>>28628834
A smart lock would persist whether you had the gun in your car, in a bag, in a case, by your bed, etc. It'll work every place you want a gun fast.
>>
File: 1396541801452.jpg (411 KB, 1280x1256) Image search: [Google]
1396541801452.jpg
411 KB, 1280x1256
I hate the "smart" terminology.
It sounds so fucking lame. Smart bombs, smart munitions, smart TVs, smart guns. It's such a dull word. Even iX was cooler. Imagine, "iGun"

I wish we'd chosen a cooler word like "cyber" or something. "Cyber munitions." Now that sounds fucking schway
>>
>>28628901
That does sound way sweeter
>>
>>28628404
Because their end goal is to prevent minorities from buying weapons.
>>
>>28628901
Nah, that sounds like viruses and worms and stuff. Things you use in cyberwarfare.
>>
>>28628459
>you can't hack RFID

do you think the internet is a series of tubes?
>>
>>28628940
It is though.
>>
>>28628927
so just like the NFA right?
>>
>>28628459
>>28628404

Fuck the bracelet. Give them to prison guards and sync them to implant RFID chips.

You could use the same chips to unlock doors. A lot harder to steal a guard's hand then his keys.
>>
>>28628940
>you can't hack RFID

You can't hack passive RFID, given all it dose is reflect a code using energy from a transmitter. It's like 'hacking' a sign on the wall by reading it.

You can copy it without any problem.

Active RFID can be much more easily encrypted and can possess significantly more robust security features.
>>
>>28628404
Government won't subsidize anything. They know smart guns are a bad idea. So here's how it goes.

>them: all guns must be smart guns!
>Us: but those guns are shit and no one can afford them!
>them: troll face.jpg
>>
>>28628992
You coudl still use passive RFID with public/private key crypto to prevent replay attacks
>>
File: shadowrunnin aint free.png (75 KB, 680x433) Image search: [Google]
shadowrunnin aint free.png
75 KB, 680x433
>>28628901
Too bad the world's nothin' but drek, chummer.
>>
>>28628404
No, but the government could put out a contract for government agent or police weapons that are tagged to users and can't be used if stolen. Stolen police weapons are a big issue and the government uses so many, it could easily bring them down to affordable levels.
>>
>>28629258

What if jam the signal with some sort of radio emitter?
>>
>>28629281
Then you're boned, active RFID would probably get overpowered as well
>>
File: honda-hybrid.jpg (109 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
honda-hybrid.jpg
109 KB, 1280x854
>>28628404
but they dont.

For the hybrid Civic, Honda put faggy wheels on it, like all hybrids, and pointless turn signals in the mirrors.
Why? Fucking why? Why cant I just buy a Civic without needing 5o flaunt the fact that its a hybrid?
>>
File: 06-07_Honda_Civic_Coupe.jpg (94 KB, 1504x800) Image search: [Google]
06-07_Honda_Civic_Coupe.jpg
94 KB, 1504x800
>>28629488
compare that to a Civic of the same year
>>
>>28629488
>Why? Fucking why? Why cant I just buy a Civic without needing 5o flaunt the fact that its a hybrid?
Car manufacturers know that hybrid drivers are faggets. Thats why.
>>
>>28629488
Toyota tried making their hybrid Camry look normal, but nobody bought it, even though it was cheaper. People flat out told dealers that "people won't know I'm driving a hybrid". For many, it's a way to jerk off in public about how they're so enlightened.
>>
>>28628973

Nah, brah. Prisoners find a way.
>>
>>28628404
They could be free and I wouldn't want one.
If they wanted to make gun culture safer they'd subsidize safes but they don't want that. They want school shootings and something to blame.
>>
>>28628404
Fuck subsidizing that or anything for that matter. Let it prove itself in the market place first.

Otherwise I'd say get bent, smart guns are easily 100yrs away from being remotely feasible in the way they should work.
>>
>>28629488
>faggy wheels
those wheels probably improve aerodynamics. The only reason they have slots at all is to cool the brakes
>>
>>28629523
>For many, it's a way to jerk off in public about how they're so enlightened.
Literally the reason some people buy hybrids. Ever see those stickers that "you just got passed by a hybrid" ?
>>
>>28628404

Oblamo can't into economics
>>
>>28629258
>prevent replay attacks

Very limited need for this with 'smart guns'. Only if you need to grab a weapon and use it right now.

>>28629281
>jam the signal

This is the fear. You are a cop or otherwise need your weapon for self defense. Bad guys jam your signal and get the drop on you. Maybe even with a pointy stick because you now don't have a working weapon.

Once they take your weapon off your dead body, they go home, open it up and put a pin in the interlock solenoid, making it a dumb weapon and available on the black market to Jamal.
>>
>>28629488
I owned a hybrid back in 05/06 when gas was costing a bit. I liked it cause the only difference on it then was just the hybrid stencil on the back. It was nice to get 60pmg on the hwy. However living in south texas killed multiple sets of batteries because of the heat and the batteries are only warranted to 80k miles. I sold mine at 60k when I was at my 3rd set of batteries and found out that a new set would cost me 6 large.

fuck hybrids. in hindsight I could have saved a bit on a normal civic spent more gas for a couple years and still have that car today. I ended up getting a scion after the hybrid and I think of all the guns I could have spent with that 10 grand instead of my other car.
>>
>>28629271
>Not geek the mage
You even run, boy?
>>
>>28628653
>operation gotta go fast
Fucking dead funniest thing I've read all day
>>
>>28628901

What's funny is "Smart" is applied to the dumbest shit. All it means is "this product has unnecessary computers and internet connection" which fucking morons eat up.
>>
File: Space Revolver.jpg (41 KB, 736x434) Image search: [Google]
Space Revolver.jpg
41 KB, 736x434
>>28628404
>Be Lawman.
>Open Carrying my glorious Colt NASA 18510 Smart Revolver on the surface of New Ganymede.
>Suddenly ambushed by the native Kebabians.
>My robotic steed, DARPA, collapses on my leg.
>Pull Smart Revolver.
>*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*
>My gun failed to authenticate with the "always online" servers run by the local governing corporation, Comcast Galactic.
>Play dead
>somehow the kebabs buy it.

And that son is why I only carry old fashioned mechanical these days.
>>
>>28628404
Why add more things that can go wrong with my weapons? Lock your guns up and keep them in arms reach when not locked up. Gun owners have been doing that for years, and I hope that never changes.
>>
>>28628428
testing 1.2.3
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.