[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Babbys first AR
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Hey /k/. Just bought my first AR. a DPMS Oracle. $600 at my Scheels store, and with a Truglo red dot sight and 120 rounds.

Did I fuck up? Can't find much terrible. And I'm just gonna use it for recreational shooting. I'm not gonna ask on ARFcom cause I'm not expensive enough.

Pic related
>>
Railed gas block yeah you fucked up should have got the a2 front sight version
>>
>railed gas block

You've been cuckolded to be honest family.
>>
>>28585104
>Oracle
>TruGlo

Wow you dun fucked the fucked up.

Trash/10 or you are trolling.
>>
>>28585104
it's fine since you have optics and it's just a range toy. /k/ will have a seizure over the lack of irons but i'm sure your life won't depend on the optics lol
>>
>>28585104
>ugly paint
>worn flag
>outdated bedspread
>Scheels

I'd bet you're from South Dakota. Probably have a faggy goatee and some Nike t-shirts, too.
>>
Lmfao when did all the arfcom cunts come here?
>>
>>28585153
>>28585142
>>28585153
What's so terrible about the railed block?
Not like I can't buy an iron sight..?
I'm new to ARs, so I'm sure as fuck not gonna spend 2K on a Noveske just cause some Instagram operators say to.
>>
>>28585623

Because /k/ is literally autistic. Maybe two days ago there was a thread about how GI style iron sights were worse than cancer and AIDS combined, and today there is a thread where GI style sights are a god send.

OP, people used to kill each other just fine with fucking muskets. Your rifle is fine, have fun with your rifle. It is on the low side, but starting there will get you to understand your preferences and if you ever do buy a nicer rifle it will be everything you want it to be.

As for the rifle you currently have, its fine, I'm sure it will shoot fine and you will have a good time with it. The only thing in would suggest is a slightly better optic, that one will dissapoint you.
>>
>>28585678
Thank you. I plan on using this as a learners rifle and eventually sure I will get a DD or LaRue but fuck me lol the reaction I got you'd think /k/ just walked in on me hate fucking their dogs while yelling allahu snackbar.

I'm your Jesus, crucify me I guess.
>>
>>28585104
you could've gotten a lot more for 600, PSA comes to mind
>>
>>28585902
Lesson learned I guess. What makes the Oracle so bad? The gas receiver bolts are staked, and there's little rattle in any parts of any at all.

As far as I'm concerned I didn't have an issue with the failed gas block as it leaves options open for whatever kind of sight system you want, without having to remove a front sight that most people don't have the know how to do

Honestly asking what is so bad for this as a starter, bare bones basic rifle?
>>
>>28585954
DPMS has sometimes had questionable QC, and the railed gas block is shit because it's not on the same level as your upper reciever (making it harder to mount BUIS) and the fact that you have to use metal sights for them. Not all railed gas blocks are shitty but the one on the Oracle is bad.

Besides that, $600 was too much. It's alright otherwise.
>>
>>28586012
>QC
We talking FTE, FTF, major malfunction? Info please.
>gas block level
Okay, legitimate answer. Thanks for not being a fucking sperg like the other turbo nerds.
>>
>>28586042
>We talking FTE, FTF, major malfunction? Info please.
General quality of the firearm itself

You bought a turd, even if it works, it's still a turd
>>
>>28586057
It is my turd. Many like it but it's mine etc etc.

If I had 2K to drop I would have.
>>
>>28586087
You don't have to spend 2k. You could have bought better for the money you paid is all.
>>
>>28586117
>You could have bought better for the money you paid is all.

Not op. Post an example?
>>
The dpms orcale is a terrible, terrible ar15, and you also got one of the worst red dots on the market to go with it.

Here's how you can fix it as cheaply as possible.

Take the bolt carrier group out, remove the bolt, and throw it in the trash. Then get a milspec bolt.

Throw the truglow away too, get a Bushnell trs-25. Still garbage, but its tolerable garbage, especially at $80

I don't know how, but they some how invented a stock worse than the m4 waffle stock. That's basically impossible. Magpul ctrs arent great, but they're cheap as fuck. Go ahead and get a moe grip to replace that garbage a2 grip.

So for $150 approx, you could unfuck this rifle. At that point, you could of had a BCM m4agery upper and a psa lower that would still blow that turd out of the water. I mean, fuck, the spikes tactical LE carbine goes on sale for $750.
>>
>>28585104
Don't listen to these are snobs. It's a base gun that's not bad. Would I take it into a combat situation? No. But for recreational use, defense and fucking off... It's fine.
>>
File: IMG_20160113_180754.jpg (2 MB, 2840x4299) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160113_180754.jpg
2 MB, 2840x4299
>>28586139
Every fucking day there's at least 1 thread about this, the /arg/

But, because its basically hell, I get you don't want to go in there. But there's still guys, every damn day asking this.
So let me go through the list again

At the bottom of the list of ar15s /k/ thinks is a good idea are 3 manufacterers
>Smith and Wesson the m&p15 sport is well built and has good parts. It's cheap and for a civilian plinker or even a home Defense gun, no dust cover or forward assist is okay. No good for innawoods, dust covers are essential there.
>Palmetto State Armory its cheap shit, but it loosely follows milspec. It certainly blows DPMS out of the water because the Bolt Carrier Group is milspec. That is the single most important part of the rifle, way more important than the barrel. You also have more options for your upper and lower
>Ruger the new ar556 is ugly as fuck and has weird proprietary parts, but its the same quality as the s&w at the same price but with a foward assist and dust cover
And of course there's yourself. You can build a lower receiver for $120, and the lower is easy as fuck. Then, you can get an completely built for you upper from BCM, PSA, Daniel Defense, and more manufacterers shipped right to your door. PSA even sells kits that come with a complete built upper and all the parts you need for the lower except that's an actual firearm. You can find that part, the lower, in most stores.

So, for $600
PSA build kit
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-phosphate-moe-freedom-rifle-kit.html
$460

A lower is usually $60-$80 in store. I recommend doing this, because even though Anderson lowers are $40 online, you have to pay for shipping and a FFL transfer.

Then, get a matech rear off of eBay. We use it in the army, its a great fucking buis, I love it, and because they get "lost" alot, its very cheap to get one on eBay. $30 maybe.

That leaves $50 for magazines, buy those excellent GI mags with magpul followers on PSA
>>
>>28586142
Alright well please explain your autistic rage on grips butt stock and bolt. Please. I'm listening. I just don't take advice in the form of anger on a Senagalese autograph forgery forum.
>>
>>28586169
But it is. Shitty bolt, shitty barrel, shitty uncomfortable furniture.
Especially for $600. I get he got $30 of ammo with it and some $50 red dot, but even for $520 he got fucked in the ass.
>>
>>28586337
THE BOLT IS SHIT
THE BOLT CARRIER IS SHIT
THE BARREL IS SHIT
THE STOCK AND GRIP ARE TRASH

LIKE WHAT THE FUCK DONT YOU UNDERSTAND

DPMS IS SHIT
AND THE ORACLE IS THE SHITTIEST OF SHIT AR15S
>>
>>28586353
Not OP but you keep touting mil spec as if it's some fucking match grade 1000 yard rifle.

The military gets their shit from the lowest bidder so what the fuck are you on about? Your fucking hand grenades are built by whoever did it for the cheapest. Mil spec is just a buzzword. You gonna tell me that OPs rifle will self destruct cause the Oracle comes with a commercial buffer tube?
>>
>>28586412
Why is the bolt shit? Material or fucking what?
>>
>>28586332
Thanks for the info. I'll lurk the /arg/, pretty new to this board. Appreciated.
>>
>>28586440

PSA 16" Midlength MOE Rifle-Kit -
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-socom-melonite-moe-rifle-kit-7780444.html

>$470.00

Aimpoint ACO -
http://palmettostatearmory.com/aimpoint-carbine-optic-aco.html

>$390

Not wasting your money on absolute trash.
>Priceless
>>
>>28586337
Alright. The stock is wobbly, which is normal for the car stock, the waffle stock, the dpms stock, and the moe stock. They don't have friction springs, they don't have little wobble locks.

But the dpms stock as a weird ass curve in it. They tried doing what magpul did, but its backwards and a failure. Unlike the waffle stock, it has a very small surface area too, so its just not comfortable.

The a2 grip is bad. It's small and the nub is maddening. It's 2016, civilian companies should not be putting it on their rifles any more.

The bolt is not manufactured to milspec standards. It's going to die sooner.

The Barrel is a 4010 chromemoly with a 1 in 9 twist, which sucks. It's 16 inch carbine gas, which isn't a pleasant shooter.

On the 2 dpms oracles I've shot, the triggers were bad. With the stock trigger of any ar15, its really a lottery. Some "milspec" triggers are okay, some are just impossibly bad. 2 rifles is a small testing pool, but these triggers were bad. Worse than any m4 I've been given out of the armory, worse than my rifle before a switched to gessielle, worse than my buddy's delton build.
>>
>>28586169
>It's a base gun that's not bad.
Yes it is. Almost nothing is milspec, just about every part is substandard in regards to quality, and it is literally the worst looking factory AR on the market. For the price of an Oracle, you can get a prebuild PSA upper and lower that shits all over it in every way. OP made a beginner's mistake; costly, but one he can certainly learn from and be better off for it. There is no excuse, however, for facilitating the purchase of this sub-par rifle when the bottom has fallen out of the AR market, allowing for solid rifles to be built for $500-$600.
>>
>>28586440
>The military gets their shit from the lowest bidder
And DPMS managed to shit out a product that's worse.
>>
File: WP_20151211_020[2].jpg (2 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151211_020[2].jpg
2 MB, 1936x2592
>>28585595
Someone has to keep a lid on anon stupidity, otherwise you get poor saps like OP making blunders.
>>
>>28586440
No, but it might because of his shitty fucking bolt.

When I see "milspec" there's 1 fucking thing I care about, and its the bolt.

Milspec triggers, like said, are all over the place
1 in 7 isn't the end all be all, 1 in 8 is fine
Chrome Lined is ideal, but I'd do a nitride on a budget build.
All of the receivers are made by 5 manufactures, so so long as the company selling your parts buy from them, your set.

So yes, milspec IS a standard, and it IS something you should shoot for, and you DONT have to spend $1000 for a colt 6920 to get it.

>>28586465
It's kinda shit now. Maybe it always was shit. Just like 4chan I guess.
>>
>>28586615
Fair enough. I'm browsing PSA and BCM right now. Should I shoot for a whole new carrier and bolt or just bolt?
>>
File: affirmativegoat.png (48 KB, 453x456) Image search: [Google]
affirmativegoat.png
48 KB, 453x456
>>28586703
I'd honestly go all in, DPMS has had issues staking their goddamned gas keys properly.
>>28586615
>Maybe it always was shit.
Now you're getting it. But through all that shit is genuine info that can be of use.
>>
>>28585104
Simply put you couldn't have done much worse.
>>
>>28586543
Hey, I love the a2 grip once you circumcise the nub.

You're right in all other points.
>>
>>28585104

those are both basically shit tier items; the AR15 and the optic

that said, it still is an AR15 and an optic... so take all the criticism with a grain of salt,

the chances of having to actually have your life depend on your rifle is near zero so from that perspective it hardly matters...

Oracle should be closer to $400 desu for the quality and type of AR15 you're getting

Truglo is a shit-tier brand that should be like at most a $50 optic and that is with a very short battery life/ toughness.
With all this said, you still have a semi auto rifle that accepts 30 round magazines and eats .223/5.56 so even if you overpaid a bit for inferior product it still beats not having one.

So overall what I am saying is, shoot it, have fun, enjoy it, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Congrats on your first AR.
>>
File: SLIMEY LIMEY.jpg (261 KB, 822x462) Image search: [Google]
SLIMEY LIMEY.jpg
261 KB, 822x462
>>28586543
>The a2 grip is bad. It's small and the nub is maddening. It's 2016

C U R R E N T Y E A R
>>
>>28586760
This
>>
File: WP_20151228_009[1].jpg (1 MB, 3023x1257) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151228_009[1].jpg
1 MB, 3023x1257
>>28586792
>the a2 grip once you circumcise the nub.
That's called the A1 grip.
>>
>>28585104
For plinking/range toy it'll work fine. Down the road if you find you like ARs you can build one or buy a nice once from Noveske or DD.
>>
File: image.jpg (1003 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1003 KB, 3264x2448
>>28586743
How bad is this staking?
>>
>>28587049
Surprisingly good, considering.
>>
>>28587061
I'm no expert but I didn't think it seemed horrible. Idk. Guess I'll look into BCGs now. Guess I know what gets /k/s collective drawers full of shit now.

Look. If I can make it more reliable, great, but this ain't going overseas. And personal opinion here, the grip isn't too bad to me, and shouldering it, the stock fits me quite well. So those 2 are moot points to me.
>>
>>28586917
Oy vey, but an A1 grip is well over $10 goyim. If you snip it yourself it is only $3!
>>
File: oyveyit'sanotherreset.jpg (61 KB, 800x1100) Image search: [Google]
oyveyit'sanotherreset.jpg
61 KB, 800x1100
>>28587106
Do what you will. You'd be a full if you wasted the opportunity to get a good AR for cheap. The market sure as shit isn't going to be as it has been come summer.
>>28587125
MUH SHEKELS
>>
>>28585104
I have one too, can't beat the price
>>
>>28587259
>can't beat the price
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-socom-melonite-freedom-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-socom-melonite-freedom-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html
>>
>>28586703
Start with the bolt. Go ahead use your current one, but if you have consistent failures with cheap plinking ammo or you see any damage on the bolt, toss it and slap in the milspec one.
Even though it looks like complete ass, I'd not worry about the foreend. Go ahead and get some use out of the shitty barrel, and once it's goes to crap, rebarrel it. You can then get a low profile gas block and free float that bitch.
Then hit the furniture. People underestimate how much furniture contributes to the enjoyability of the shooting.

I really wouldn't just throw it out. You have an upper receiver and a lower receiver that are both milspec, so that's $140 you'd waste if you started over.

Replace the crap stuff with good stuff as it breaks. You went and bought the thing, might as well use it, even if it is shit. Keep us posted about any malfunctions going foward.
>>
>>28587290
>not a complete rifle
> have to order it
I'm not that poor
>>
>>28587338
>missing only the BCG
>doesn't buy his AR online
you're not just poor, you're stupid
>>
I bought a Delton Echo 316 MOE for 700 and its really not a bad AR in my opinion. Op you could have done better for the money.
>>
>>28587259
Yes, you can. And you'd get a much better product, too. For Christ's sake, you can have a PSA rifle kit with a blem lower for around $500 that blows DPMS' offering away, and it even comes with Magpul furniture.
>>
>>28587300
Cherry picking your post here but what advantage does a free floating gas block have?
>>
>>28587466
The GB isn't free floated. The barrel will be, and if the GB is low-profile, the rail slides over it and doesn't come into contact with anything, thus allowing the barrel to be FF.
>>
>>28587300
This. Do this right here, OP.

Your gas key is fine. Do like the tripfag said and buy a bolt and keep it greased up and in your gun case. The moment your current bolt starts to show wear, scrap it and use milspec bolt.

Buy a chrome lined barrel with 1:7 twist when your groups open up noticeably. If you have the cash, buy it now too and keep it in a vacuum bag with cosmoline.
>>
>>28587528
Big thing for me is take it slow. Yeah, he bought a bad gun. Most of the parts will need to be replaced, but buying a brand new ones just as expensive. So might as well get some use out of the parts.
>>
>>28587466
Free floated forends don't touch the barrel allowing it to be unaffected by your grip or rest. Your barrel will be allowed to vibrate naturally when fired. This means you will have a considerable accuracy improvement.

You need a low profile gas block in order to fit under the forend.
>>
>>28587587
I understand, but it's a buyer's market right now. If he has the cash, buy now and store the most critical parts until he will need them. Hence the vacuum bags and cosmoline.
>>
>>28587492
Thanks bruh. You guys are dicks and faggots but I like it here and well...your dog is gonna keep pissing on the carpet unless you teach it not to. Lessons learned and time to build
>>
File: 1452468462567.jpg (856 KB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
1452468462567.jpg
856 KB, 5184x3456
>>28585142
>>28585153
Yeah, there's litterally nothing wrong with a railed gas block.

Summoning the geniusfag who diversified his life in pic related.
A: Want more pics
B: Why not paint a couple mags to match?
>>
>>28588197

what type of rail covers are those? what are they called and where can I get them?

also, what type of buttstock is that?
>>
>>28588197
> there's litterally nothing wrong with a railed gas block.
Except everything is wrong with it, and it's only good if you're going to use it as a ghetto low-profile GB so you can FF.
>>
>>28588221
ive seen it done, but thats a fuck huge ID of the rail to fit a railed GB in it
>>28588219
kac ribbed and old car style stock
>>
File: Ranger-2.png (207 KB, 556x538) Image search: [Google]
Ranger-2.png
207 KB, 556x538
>>28588221
>Except everything is wrong with it

Good one m8.
>>
File: M4CamoCustom3_zpsce72c4fe.jpg (74 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
M4CamoCustom3_zpsce72c4fe.jpg
74 KB, 1023x682
>>28588219
I don't know. I'm trying to summon the dude who took these pics/made his rifle an all terrain murder-machine with paint.
>>
>>28588250
>isn't on the same plane as flat-top receiver rails
>heats up to the point that any polymer frontsight will fucking melt and any metal one will be hot to the touch to deploy
>literally better off just putting your FSB on the handguard
>looks retarded
>is retarded
There is nothing positive about a railed GB. At all.
>>
>>28588284
>at all
Allows the user to attach a folding NOT shitty plastic BUIS. Bam, there's something.
>looks retarded
Don't give a shit and neither should anyone.

>>28588197
Goddamnit, I though this was ARG. Taking this to the other thread...
>>
>>28588330
>Allows the user to attach a folding NOT shitty plastic BUIS.
That's on a whole other plane than your rearsight, dipshit.
>>
>>28585104
isn't the M&P 15 a better choice for a babby's first AR? Comes with everything + some sights, only missing the forward assist but none of us airmchair commando's are using that shit anyway.
>>
>>28588347
Not him, but:
>what is elevation adjustment
>>
File: 1435769850147.jpg (126 KB, 612x528) Image search: [Google]
1435769850147.jpg
126 KB, 612x528
>>28585104
>oracle
>railed gas block
>six hundred fucking dollars
>cause I'm not expensive enough.
>buys an optic
>a shit one at that

Yeah, you're not expensive. You're cheap and retarded. Learn to do your research next time.
>the year 2016
>people still can't do their homework on things properly before spending multiple $100's on something
>>
>>28588359
A lot fucking harder to do when your FSB is nearly an inch lower than you goddamned rearsight? Or you could, you know, have your sight mounted on a handguard rail that's on the same plane as your rearsight. Which is what everyone does to begin with.
>>
File: 1444220367570.jpg (29 KB, 446x357) Image search: [Google]
1444220367570.jpg
29 KB, 446x357
>>28588355
>only missing the forward assist but none of us airmchair commando's are using that shit anyway.

Mind as well get a fucking mini 14 if you're suck a cuck like this. You don't need a gun anyways, this isn't syria ;^)
>>
>>28588410
Mini-14's are great. You're a faggot.
>>
File: 1430100100257.jpg (102 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
1430100100257.jpg
102 KB, 640x800
>>28586555
> milspec
> milspec
> milspec
Shut the fuck up with this meme. Its like 'milspec' is the end all for weapons. Open your mouth, but instead of spewing shit out, take some of mine, use ot as chapstick, then eat it. Just stop posting.
>>
>>28589520
The only meme here is that milspec isn't a reasonable standard.

>bu...but my $600 rifle is fine
>milspec is the lowest bidder!
>I made a good purchase not like I could build a milspec rifle for the same price
>why aren't you justifying my shit purchase /k/?
>>
Is your buffer tube staked ?
> I think not
>>
>>28585623
>A2 front sight
>2K Noveske
Why don't people research?
>>
>Pick up gun
>Shoot it
>It works
>Take gun on a hike through the woods
>Dust cover closed
>Get mud on it
>Shoot it
>It works
I don't see any problems here
>>
Newly converted AK fag here, thanks to this guy's thread I read up on some advice and just purchased the PSA upper with Magpul shit and the LPK, thanks everyone.
>>
Just use and abuse it, OP.
Get that $600 out of that gun and run it into the ground while learning how to shoot and maintain it.

After that, you got 2 ways to go.
You can go for a whole rifle from a reputable maker or you assemble from various sources.

You can go poorfag edition to in between to gucci.

Just have fun OP.
>>
>>28585104
please be a troll post, no one can be this rumb
>>
File: 20160116_172008-1.jpg (3 MB, 2236x2236) Image search: [Google]
20160116_172008-1.jpg
3 MB, 2236x2236
OP I built this PSA AR as my first. I'm a college student on the GI bill so I'm poor, but I have a side job so I've been able to get a small gun fund going.

All told, it cost me around 750 over several months, which is incredibly affordable. That includes optic, 8 pmags, sling, tool, everything. It's midlength and properly gassed, shoots like a dream. Oh, and the barrels are made by FN.
>>
How does the Bushmaster XM-15 e2s compare?
>>
>>28590306
haven't read much good things about bushmaster AR's
>>
>>28590521
Seemed to perform well at Sandy Hook, no malfunctions.
>>
>>28588197
These are KAC rail covers, a car stock, and I believe skeletor was responsible for >>28588274
>>28588359
>elevation adjustment.
I don't think you understand how low that is
>>
bump for poorfag tantrums
>>
>>28591502
This thread was great XD poor n00bs btfo by K
>>
>>28589520
>milspec
>meme
Just admit you made a shitty choice and move on.
>>
OP, you pretty much got bent over the hood and fucked silly. One silver lining is that you hopefully learned a valuable lesson on the cheap.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.