[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >shoot a gun for the first time today >can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: 1417223651679.png (124 KB, 339x323) Image search: [Google]
1417223651679.png
124 KB, 339x323
>be me
>shoot a gun for the first time today
>can't hear anything for about five minutes
>arm/shoulder hurts from shooting it
>constantly dealing with gun jams

How do you guys enjoy this? Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to turn into a nofuns faggot, help me /k/.
>>
>>28572681
What gun did you shoot op?
>>
File: august4.jpg (15 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
august4.jpg
15 KB, 512x384
>hearing protection
>learn to shoulder properly
>don't buy shitty guns
>>
>>28572681

It appears that you have done everything wrong. Start by plugging your ears, champ
>>
Even noguns know the importance of hearing protection, ffs. How dumb are you? Do you WANT to be deaf?
>>
File: image.jpg (236 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
236 KB, 960x720
>>2857268
>mfw reading this
>>
>>28572691
Some kind of pump shotgun, I think it's a Mossberg.

>>28572697
Should I buy earplugs or a set of earmuffs? Earmuffs are looking pretty damn expensive, and I'm not really sure if there's a noticeable difference.
>>
>>28572762
>shotgun
I'm assuming a 12 gauge?
Did you fire magnum loads or something?
>>
>>28572762

You fired a 12ga with no hearing protection? This is bait.....or you are a superior idiot.
>>
>>28572794
Yes, it was 12 gauge. Birdshot, no magnum loads.

>>28572813
Lesson learned I supposed. Do you suppose that going through 20 rounds or so without hearing protection will have any permanent effect on my hearing?
>>
>>28572831
Jesus, yes. Shooting some .22 can permanently damage your hearing. Welcome to tinnitus, friend.
>>
>>28572831
>Do you suppose that going through 20 rounds or so without hearing protection will have any permanent effect on my hearing?
Without a doubt you have permanently and irrevocably damaged your hearing.
>>
>>28572831
Do you currently hear a
>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>28572842

Yeah, you fucked your hearing to some degree, there is no getting it back. I really think this is bait, you would have stopped after round 1 or 2 due to the pain.
>>
>>28572681
Howard leight sports for 40 bucks and sonic defender in ears for like 10 or 20
>>
>>28572856

more like
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>28572762
>Should I buy earplugs or a set of earmuffs? Earmuffs are looking pretty damn expensive, and I'm not really sure if there's a noticeable difference.

Get this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Impact-Electric-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=pd_sim_469_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=413LEFbzvIL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR124%2C160_&refRID=0KSB3P5GVCDF4SKC1HRW

Its 49% off right now and for active hearing I think this is a pretty good deal.
Haven't used this model or brand personally but 4,5 ratings from 6,748 customer reviews looks pretty good.

If you can't afford this then you shouldn't prioritize gun hobbies over work, protection always comes first since most damage is both permanent and unnecessary.

>>28572831
>20 rounds or so without hearing protection

this looks like a troll thread now, no sane person goes through that many rounds without earpro or stopping to think for a second that "hey, maybe I need to protect my hearing from this loud noise".
>>
>>28572899
>20 rounds or so without hearing protection
not OP but, troops didn't had earpro during WW2 right ?

not saying this is a good thing but i suppose it's possible to go through 20 rounds without them and then aquire a fucked up earing
>>
>>28572899
To be fair, he did say it was his first time shooting and you never see people wear ear pro in movies. He probably thought he should tough it out.
>>
>>28572856
Yes, but I've always heard a slight ringing. I really don't notice much of a difference.

>>28572861
It didn't hurt, I just couldn't hear for shit.

>>28572899
>Get this one
I'm really not sure what's good for protection and what's not so I'll just be taking your word for this. Thanks anon

>hey, maybe I need to protect my hearing from this loud noise
I thought that your ears were supposed to ring when you shot and that hearing protection was just a luxury.
>>
File: 1151942127260.jpg (138 KB, 934x1600) Image search: [Google]
1151942127260.jpg
138 KB, 934x1600
>>28572948
>you never see people wear ear pro in movies

Ah, yes, the movies.
>>
>>28572831
I have found that some Mossbergs don't like birdshot at times. I got a Mossberg 590 that just sometimes has trouble with them. Not always. It eats buck like nothing else though.
>>
>>28572681
>>constantly dealing with gun jams
in a pump shotgun? I've never heard of that before...
>>
>>28572990
Short stroking, easy to do if you're unfamiliar.
>>
>shooting with friends
>bust out nugget (M44)
>we all run out of ammo
>find a single, glorious 7.62x54R boolit in pocket
>look around, everyone still has their earpro in
>yell "hot!"
>load it up and let loose

What I didn't see was that my buddy was in my blond spot when I looked around and had his earpro out, and he was about teo feet away from the muddle to my right when I fired

>whole rest of the trip was just a constant "WHAT?!?" From him
>got his hearing back a few days later
>>
>>28572955
>I thought that your ears were supposed to ring when you shot and that hearing protection was just a luxury.
Hearing protection is supposed to keep you from going deaf by 30

It it seems you were already going deaf anyways
>>
>>28572681
>be me
A faggot
>shoot a gun for the first time today
Good on ya
>can't hear anything for about five minutes
Try wearing hearing protection
Try a proper stance
Try not limp wristing it
>>
>>28572955
You better load up on vitamin C, vitamin E, and antioxidants ASAP if you don't want to go deaf
>>
>>28572942
>not OP but, troops didn't had earpro during WW2 right?

They didn't have any muzzle brakes back then, it wasn't until after they started using those that the noise level got really unbearable and the demand for earpro rised to the point it seemed like a good investment.

but honestly, the old school was fucked up, everyone had hearing problem from shooting and people passed the issues as normal.

>>28572955
>I'm really not sure what's good for protection and what's not so I'll just be taking your word for this. Thanks anon

its not big science, one of those big ear cups you see construction workers use is also fine (unless the noise reduction is intentionally lowered). just avoid earplugs since they don't guarantee protection like cups do. always make sure that the foam and/or rubber materials are in good condition and remove any hair or cap from where the cup makes skin contact to ensure its completely sealed.

btw this might be a better deal for you
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-1013461-Leightning-Folding-Earmuff/dp/B004H38ROW/ref=zg_bs_553558_30

its cheaper and I wont have to teach you how to maintain and handle active ear protection. it might be a better option since you don't really need to hear exact conversations anyway.
>>
>>28572681
>can't hear
Earpro.
If using earplugs wedge them all the way in. They're not meant to be comfortable, although they have gotten better over the years.
If using headphones, make sure they fully enclose your ears.
Ideally use both at the same time.
That's why you start on lighter calibers and learn proper handling before moving on to the ass-kickers. Also muzzle brakes help.
Depends on the gun, ammunition and what condition both are in.
I'm guessing you shot an old shotgun using cheap steel-base Wal-Mart birdshot. Am I right? (I guess that because steel shells tend to get stuck in poorly polished chambers, common problem)
>>
>>28572681
>>28572971
It's the steel bases. Same thing happening as stickybolt on Mosins. They expand like brass but because they aren't as soft they don't cool and shrink as quickly, so if there are any small burrs or seams in the chamber the steel likes to stick there and you have to jackhammer the shotgun off the ground to eject the shell.

Mine eats steel and it starts to stick up a little after 30-50 rounds. I've owned other shotguns and most of them were a lot older. All would jam shut on the first round of steel and work just fine with brass based shells.

Alternatively with a pump gun, yes, short-stroking can cause misfeeds.
>>
>>28572831
You may have ruptured ear drums.
>>
>>28573192
There's absolutely nothing wrong with disposable earplugs.

My earplugs have superior NRR rating to those.
>>
>>28572681
Earpro, fuck yes, essential. Also start of smaller. .22 and work your way up from there.
>>
>>28572831
lmfao fucking birdshot and it hurts your ears? regardless you should wear earpro but you're kinda a pussy
>>
>>28572762
muffs are the best choice if you intend to shoot a lot and don't have a suppressor, plugs are ok too, but not quite as effective. also, make sure the shotgun is properly sized for you and that you are shooting the right length of shells, primarily 2 3/4 inch if you're just shooting to shoot or if you aren't shooting ducks in general.
>>
>>28572856
Every fucking second of my life for the last 30 years.

PLUG YER GODDAMN EARS, BOY.
>>
>>28573036
From what I can see, OP seems to have plenty of experience in stroking
>>
>>28575337
If it hurts it's causing hearing damage.
If it's doesn't hurt then you already have hearing damage.
If you ignore the pain because you think it's manly then it's causing hearing damage AND you're stupid
>>
>>28575815
>>28573192
Im guessing these people dont know how to put in ear plugs properly since they say they are worse when they are not.
This guy is right >>28574912 foam earplugs will always have a higher rating then muffs and will work better since its in your ear and cant get knocked off.

The correct way to put in ear plugs is to start with clean ears then:
> roll the ear plug between your finger and thumb until it fully compresses
> reach over your head and pull the top of your ear up to straighten the ear cannel out (this step is optional once you get good at putting in plugs)
> while still compressing the plug, quickly insert it in your ear almost the whole way
> you should hear/feel it expand into place and everything get quieter (expect for the Eeeeeeeee, that never goes away..)
> repeat with other ear, i find it easiest to use left hand for left ear and right hand for right ear.
> ?????
>Profit from the joy of keeping the tinitus at bay.

If done properly there should be very little of the plug sticking out of your ear and everything will be much quieter. Also practice at home, its a good way of dealing with wife/gf/kids/ect.
>>
>>28572762
Hearing problems with a shotgun? I dont know about other shotguns, but my Wingmaster is probably one of the most quiet guns I own. I've never gotten the ringing that I've gotten with a rifle/handgun.
>>
Can hearing really be damaged that easily?
I've never had hearing problems or heard any ringing when firing my shotgun without protection.
>>
>>28572948
>and you never see people wear ear pro in movies.
if a person were to follow everything they see in movies, they'd be fuck dead.
>>
>didn't wear ears
>had bad form
>bros let you shoot a 12ga with reliability problems as the first gun you ever shot
fucking newguns, I swear.
>>
>>28576793
Every time you shoot it without protection you are whittling away at your hearing.
>>
>>28576793

Hearing damage occurs at any impact sounds greater than 120db, most gunshots including shotguns fall between 140-165.

You have definitely damaged your hearing.
>>
>>28576770
Longer barrels are less loud.
>>
>>28576811
>>28576812
I've never really had hearing problems, and I didn't use ear pro with my shotgun since it never bothered me. Hell, my old school's fire alarm system(went off weekly) hurt my ears more than any gunshot.
Good to know for future reference, though.
>>
>>28576793
Shooting outside is better than inside in terms of sound levels.
Also, people always think just because you don't feel or hear ANYTHING when you go and expose your ears to jet engine level sounds, it means everything is okay. Your hearing will slowly degrade, you won't notice any differences, but you will slowly not be able to hear certain frequencies. Keep it up the damage, and you'll one day find yourself not being able to hear basic conversation too well, just like how you need to shout a bit to be clear when speaking to grandpa.
>>
>>28572856

Shot a 12ga without hearing protection about 3 years back, still hearing it
>>
>>28572681
If you are still around op your ears will be fine, maybe just a slight ringing for a few days, gunshots aren't very damagimg to your ears. High pitched shrieks from drilling metal or something is what gives you instant damage. Wear muffs or plugs, get a friemd who is a blue collar worker to get you some for free perhaps

Lastly I shot a 12 gauge for the first time yesterday, first time shooting, it was fun as fuck, of course the shoulders a little sore because I wasmt holding it particularly well. If you don't like shooting don't force yourself too
>>
>>28572735
>dat hoodie
How /k/omfy operator are you anon?
>>
>>28572681
What kind of asshole gives somebody new to shooting a fucking pump shotgun with no earpro and doesn't at least give them a quick instruction on how not to rape their shoulder?

Jesus shit it burns my ass every fucking time some dumb hick shithead yucks it up with his faggot friends when he takes "his girlfriend shooting" and then records it so he can upload some LEL FUNNAY GIRL SHOOTIN FAIL video. This is the exact same shit as that, it's unsafe and it breeds contempt for shooting sports and gun owners, I chew out every dumb cunt I see at the range doing this shit because it's putting everyone else on the line at risk. All it takes is for Timmy Noguns to lose control of that fudd-fucked WASR and put a 7.62mm through the side of somebody's skull because everyone knows that shit slamfires when you drop it.
>>
Wait, how many rounds of 7.62x39 can you take before getting fucked up hearing?
>>
>>28578240
One can be enough.
>>
>>28572681
>shooting mosin 7.62x54r
>2cool4 earpro
>ears start bleeding after 3 rounds

YOULL COWARDS, HEARING IS FOR FAGENTS
>>
>>28572831
>20 rounds
>no ear pro
MAUP
>>
>>28572942
Yeah and alot of them came back deaf as a doornail.
>>
>>28573153
That only works if you're deficient in those vitamins. And judging if a person is in the first world and not ghetto trash or a snack eating NEET, there really is no need
>>
File: 1444053641752.jpg (35 KB, 604x397) Image search: [Google]
1444053641752.jpg
35 KB, 604x397
>>28576599
>(expect for the Eeeeeeeee, that never goes away..)

I almost always use earpro but there is nothing like trying to sleep in a quiet room to remind me of the few times I didn't.
>>
File: 34pi7tx.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
34pi7tx.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
Off topic but is training ammo signifcantly quieter than the real deal? 'Cause i went through an entire mock battle once without hearing protection and emptied all 90 rounds i had been issued. I haven't noticed any hearing issues and it didn't hurt my ears as it was happening even though i was going full auto for two mags worth.
>>
>>28577796
>7.62mm
>>
>>28578240
>impling a redneck's WASR is going to be running anything else
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.