[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should weapons training be a part of the school mandatory curriculum,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: 1447063232464.gif (958 KB, 736x627) Image search: [Google]
1447063232464.gif
958 KB, 736x627
Should weapons training be a part of the school mandatory curriculum, at least at a state level?

I feel like a lot of the stigma behind guns would go away if people were taught at an early age about guns.
>>
>>28524511
Yes.
>>
>>28524511
I'd vote for it at the state level.
>>
>>28524563
>>28524598

At what age should it start?

Any ideas on how it could be implemented?
>>
I'd have it as an elective along with the sports teams.
>>
>>28524511
Absolutely. If you must, use only props, but the basic 4 rules should be taught to some extent.
>>
They cover, relathionships, drugs, families, and sex in health. I dont see why they could even through in some gun saftey and maybe some civics in the useless class called health.
>>
>>28524511
It should be pushed as a safety act. That way gun control advocates can eat shit.
>>
>>28524511
No, it will only make potential mass shooters more dangerous.

We're far past the point of no return.
>>
>>28524674
This really. We need strategies that work today, not 30 years ago.
>>
>I feel like a lot of the stigma behind guns would go away if people were taught at an early age about guns.
If gun handling and safety was taught in a respectful and unbiased manner, sure. but we both know it wouldn't be.
Although if they gave out 50 round packs of .22lr like they do for condoms that would be rad.

I think just showing a couple Eddie Eagle videos would be sufficient considering most kids would be exposed to firearms under the supervision of an adult.
>>
>>28524724
If they gave out 50 round packs of .22, they'd constantly be out.
>>
Aren't rifle and skeet-shooting teams a thing?
>>
File: MAC28_JOHN_OLIVER01_POST.jpg (85 KB, 393x461) Image search: [Google]
MAC28_JOHN_OLIVER01_POST.jpg
85 KB, 393x461
>>28524699
>>
Why don't they shoot kids with .22lr to immunize them against larger calibers?
It would do a lot more to stop school shooting deaths than any bullshit gun regulations.
>>
It used to be at some schools in the 50's, they'd start teaching them around 12 years old
>>
>"gun safety" used to be a class you took to teach you how to safely use a gun
>now it's a euphemism for gun control
Thanks liberals.
>>
>>28524750
Not liberal, just thinking pragmatically.

Millenials and everyone after them are a lost cause as a whole in terms of instilling personal responsibility and basic common sense. We should be focusing instead on stopping their mass shootings when they happen since prevention used on them will not work since they cannot be trusted.
>>
>>28524785
>>28524785
They are impulsive by nature. The only way to stop an action done out of impulse is right when it happens since there is no way to predict when the impulse will strike.
>>
>>28524785
Nothing has changed. Stop using time as an argument.
>>
>>28524608
I'd say you should be at least 16 before courses, if it's legal for you to drive a care you can be entrusted to at the least be instructed over firearms imo
I figure it should be such as sex ed where you take a week just learning over how they work and proper safety around them.
During the 11th grade towards the end of the school year kids could be given a crash course on firearms and the dangers they pose, but as well how safe they can be. The next year in the 12th grade children would be given a much more in depth look into weaponry. With the difference between ammo types, weaponry, laws per state on guns.
All courses should have a well qualified instructor though that has quite a lot of experience with firearms. Most easily said would be getting cops from the local PD to come in and teach about them
>>
>>28524820
Yes it has. There were far fewer boomer mass shooters than millenial/gen X mass shooters.
>>
>>28524608
High school Freshmen, so 14-16, as an elective alternative to Gym/PE/Weights. There are so many kids that look to get out of Gym class and this would the absolute perfect alternative.
>>
I think it would be great for kids to be taught proper handling and safety of firearms in school.

Being taught how to shoot though is a different matter. I honestly wouldn't be comfortable with letting most children fire guns without 1-on-1 supervision, and there wouldn't be enough time and/or supervisors for that in most schools. Hell, when I was in high school we didn't even get to drive in driver's ed. because the school didn't have enough instructors to let all the students get hands-on experience in a timely manner.
>>
>>28524844
Homicide rates among millennials are much lower though.
>>
>>28524856
Each mass shooting takes out more than one person whereas most homicides only result in one death (or 2 if suicide).

Not to mention that they have made a generational sport out of shooting up public places. They are overgrown eternal children who are long overdue for getting their toys taken away until they can show that they are responsible enough to use them.
>>
>>28524785
>We should be focusing instead on stopping their mass shootings
Why bother trying to stop something that's statistically irrelevant?
>>
>>28524941
Because I don't want to die because some millenial shit is unable to get a drugged up slut from his generation to sleep with him.

>>28524892
Birth year limits for owning guns? Where should we set it?

>Born on or after 1976: Turn em in, kiddies. Playtime is over.

I like it.
>>
File: 1449129928400.jpg (51 KB, 775x491) Image search: [Google]
1449129928400.jpg
51 KB, 775x491
>>28524892
I don't know where you crawled out of, but it's time to stop posting.
>>
>>28524976
You're ten times more likely to die of food poisoning. Do you get someone to taste all your food for toxins before you eat it, too?
>>
>>28524511
Growing up in Virginia, we had a course on how to handle guns.
"If you see a gun, tell an adult" - /class
>>
>>28524976
What is going on in those years where there is a spike of victims but no corresponding (or a significantly lesser) spike of fatalities?

Were EMTs just really on their game in those years?
>>
>>28525024
A gluttonous millenial would be perfect for that job.
>>
>>28524511
See, I'd like to, but...nah, i was gonna say "they might shoot other people" but then again, the fuckers will all be armed.

But eventually someone will bitch about kids doing "dangerous shit" and it'll stop again...I'd still love to see it though.
>>
>>28524511
You want the same people teaching sex ed to kids to teach them about guns?

Honestly it sounds like a good idea that just wouldn't work. Blue states would have teachers drive home that guns are bad etc etc just like how some states teach abstinence only sex ed.
>>
>>28525044
Let me guess, you also think terrorism is a legitimate threat to this country.
>>
>>28524511
No, because in some areas they would turn it into anti gun indoctrination class.
>>
>>28525087
Typical shithead millenial, no respect for anyone's life but his own wasted one.

No wait, not even that.
>>
>>28525087
Yes, especially homegrown terrorism which overwhelmingly includes millenials nowadays.
>>
>>28524848
Thinking about it politically those classes would be kicked out by all the liberal soccer moms not letting their children learn about "evil killin machines"
Also imo already got too many kids finding every which way to get out of PE.
I think my earlier idea >>28524828
Would be much more sensible and at the least have more success in more liberal areas. Also having the cops rather than any instructor no matter how good they are teach kids would help with more of a feeling of safety for your children.
Also gotta think about paying teachers for those courses and trying to get qualified people to hire for such a thing quite difficult and cost expensive
>>
>>28524511
Millennial here (I'm 18 so I guess that makes me one,) unfortunately I doubt that will ever happen. It's not going to work.

From what I've observed, most kids/young adults today are coddled through high school and college and aren't taught much about the real world or self-defense. As soon as I started living on my own and having a few scary encounters, self-defense became one of my higher priorities. Most people my age probably don't experience the world outside their college campus.
>>
>>28525122
>cops teaching kids about guns
As if that would fly nowadays.
>>
>>28524511
Yes, but they'd probably have one of those forms that the parent has to sign to give their consent. As a result, the people who need to learn it the most are prevented from doing so because their parents are fucking idiots.
>>
>>28525112
>>28525113
Fudd detected
>>
>>28524892
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/21/gun-homicides-steady-after-decline-in-90s-suicide-rate-edges-up/

Go back to your cuck cave.
>>
>>28524511
I've toyed with the idea in my head:

>lots of vets, lots of instructors with war on terror winding down
>school shootings and mass shootings on rise anyway! would mark public safer, or feel so.
>phys ed adds boxing.
>at 16, start basic .22 rifle education, basics of pistol operation
>field trip to shooting range! everyone gets box of 50 rounds. Not much but enough to get basic "I can work a safety without ND'ing" familiarity
>>
>>28525163
Gun ownership will die with my generation. It will be a dignified end that a fundamental right for responsible adults deserves.

You did this to yourself, millenial. Go ahead, blame your parents or some abstract group like you always do. Your generation had a choice to take responsibility and pull yourselves up regardless of what "shitty" background you had and you all overwhelmingly failed.
>>
>>28525122

>cops, gun safety.

My police department has to annually patch, on average, 5 holes in either the HQ or the cars because the cops are fucking idiots. On guy did a fucking desk pop with a 12gauge because he didn't realize it was loaded. Another one nearly ventilated a township worker who was taking out their trash and was even wearing the DPW shirt.

So no, I don't think the idiots who can't follow firearm safety themselves should teach it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orloQnzBRCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkDN66XBm2I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0_qdJ4IDI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUonA66btgI

This is a fucking classic though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxWWJaTEdD0
>>
>>28525225

Go fuck yourself up the ass you troll. Every generation had its failures. Every generation blames the ones before it. Ask yourself this fuckwit: who raised the millennials?
>>
>>28525332
Did you even read the post?

They had a choice to pull themselves up or wallow in impotent self pity. They chose the self indulgent easier option and unfortunately everyone else has to be dragged down with them.
>>
>>28524785
le born in the wrong generation
>>
>>28525323
My town shit like that doesn't happen, even have family on the force. Makes sense though but someone would have to teach it. I just can't see people agreeing to sink more of the schools money into a course that people could see a completely unnecesary
>>
File: aniki.png (226 KB, 468x345) Image search: [Google]
aniki.png
226 KB, 468x345
>>28525355
Yeah, those damn boomers wasted everything, with their drugs and free love and rock and roll.
>>
>>28525122
Liberals be damned. He asked how I would implement it, not if it would be successful. The sooner kids learn about guns the better, they'll be less apprehensive and develop respect for them.
Curriculum would consist of 2 separate classes over 2 years. First class would consist of;
-education of the function and history of modern firearms and their mechanisms, and
-familiarization with basic firearms safety and casual shooting. Starting with BB Guns working into .22 LR rifles and pistols by the end of the school year.
Second year class would consist of;
-Shooting techniques with full-power rifles and shotguns of all actions, and handguns
-Competition shooting
-Maybe even a CC license course (where applicable)
>>
>>28525355
>They had the choice to pull themselves up
Most can barely vote
>>
>>28525394
>Millenials = 1990's
>1990 was 25 years ago
>>
Like most good things, it came to an end in the 60's.
>>
OP here.

I just feel like, besides the obvious government gun-grabbers, most people of the frightened liberal persuasion are merely uninformed and brainwashed over the reality of firearms.

The best way to beat the anti-gun groups is though education.
>>
I think it should be covered at about the time sex ed is taught. Just basic safety. No shooting, just common sense and responsibility. Try to plant the seed. Maybe less kids will grow up lacking respect for weapons, being afraid of weapons, or god forbid, both.

If the social acceptance rose, it would be nice to see marksmanship return at a post secondary level, or as a more widely available 3rd party extra curricular available to younger people. 4H, YMCA, etc.
>>
>>28525498
>uninformed and brainwashed over the reality of firearms.
This is the truth about every liberal view. They do not care about statistics or reality, they only care about how they 'feel.'
>The best way to beat the anti-gun groups is though education.
This, it is impossible to change someones mind once they are set on their beliefs. Their children, however, can still be molded.
>>
>/k/ supporting public education
I thought you guys were conservatives.
>>
>>28525541
It, like most things, can be used for both good and evil. But, lets be real here, its never going away. So we might as well use it to our advantage, the same way the liberals do.
>>
File: 1445916121414.png (153 KB, 333x254) Image search: [Google]
1445916121414.png
153 KB, 333x254
>>28525541
>an image board is a single person
>>
>>28525534
desu I was raised in a liberal household, and I grew up relatively anti-gun. But I've grown to be better informed, (especially after moving to Chicago) and while I still think there needs to be some standards, for the most part I feel like society would improve as a whole if the majority of people recognized the utility and safeguard that guns are.

I would love to have a chance to learn how to use a gun one day, even though I can't really own or afford a handgun.
>>
>>28525390
Sounds like an excellent idea anon. Do you think something like that could pass in Texas?
>>
>>28525642
>Do you think something like that could pass in Texas?
I don't live in Texas, so I don't know, but I assume you do. What do you think?
>>
At least in a basic sense
>>
>>28525682
I'm just wondering if state mandated gun lessons goes against federal law.
>>
>>28525703
School curriculum is mandated by individual States, so I would assume no.
>>
>>28524976
>wants to deny people their second amendment rights based on age

Thanks for posting something so blatantly fucking retarded. Your opinion has been disregarded. Please hang yourself at the nearest possible opportunity.
>>
>>28525029
What it's supposed to look like it's saying is that because of more lax gun laws, more people have died from guns.

When in reality, there have been far FEWER shootings BUT shooters have been going after major population centers because it more solidifies their presence in history.

Nobody cares about the gangbannger that clapps a few foos. Everybody remembers the motherfucker who walked into a grade school and started clearing rooms. And the more "victims" the more longer their popularity lasts which is the key element seeing as there are more mass shooters that want to live out in infamy than those who are striking back at perceived wrongs.
>>
>>28524511
No.
>>
>>28524511
I think mussel discipline is the first thing to teach
then have big ass debate as to what constitutes reasonable force
>>
>>28527237
I suppose it is good to teach students to not binge on seafood.
>>
>>28524511
>forcing weapons training on people
That'll go over well.

It's a right, not a privilege, and not a requirement.
>>
as an elective, sure. but i'd much rather electives like personal finance, home ec and wood shop reinstated first, since they actually teach things every kid is gonna need to know.

whether you like it or not, learning how to use a gun isn't exactly a crucial skill for growing up.
>>
>>28524511
I should think optional at the very least. Occasionally when I'm feeling bold I'll advocate that. Helps that here (Canada) accidental injuries/deaths far outweigh intentional ones.
>>
>>28525082
Ironically most of the places with shitty abstinence only sex ed would have great gun ed.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.